• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dylan O'Brien has been cast as Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

Sorry MCU you done goofed. Maguire-man or no sale.

On the other hand, I'll be fine if they kill this dude so they can have Miles Morales.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Sorry MCU you done goofed. Maguire-man or no sale.

On the other hand, I'll be fine if they kill this dude so they can have Miles Morales.

Man I can't wait until people stop thinking this was ever a thing that could happen.

Pachimari

I don't follow this mindset of wanting Maguire.

I were one of those who turned up for the premiere of the first Spider-Man movie by Sam Raimi and loved it. But I really don't want Maguire back in the role, and I necessarily don't see him as the "right" Spidey either.

Spinluck

I don't particularly care, but he's annoying on the Teen Wolf episodes I've seen. Maybe because he's supposed to be the dopey sidekick, but not exactly my first thought of Peter Parker.

Garfield was far and away the best Spidey, and easily one of the better parts of the TASM franchise. Too bad he fell out of favor with Sony/Marvel (and the age).

Out of all the Spidey's he's definitely the most talented.

He was like a good QB on a shit team. If the guys at Sony put the right creative talent around him his Spidey movies would've been far better. Garfield's Peter should've been on college from the get go.

Anyway, the next Spidey won't be better than him, but his writers and directors will most likely be far better than what Drew got.

Fuck you Sony.

Voror

I were one of those who turned up for the premiere of the first Spider-Man movie by Sam Raimi and loved it. But I really don't want Maguire back in the role, and I necessarily don't see him as the "right" Spidey either.

I don't get it either really. Nostalgia maybe? Because when I look back at those films I ultimately think that while he made a good Peter Parker, his Spider-Man was a bit off and not very quippy like you'd expect Spider-Man to be.

Now, that could have been the writing but almost anytime he did make a quip the delivery left something to be desired in my opinion.

MisterHero

Beloved portrayals of characters meeting other beloved portrayals of characters.

On greedy financial level, the star of one of the world's highest grossing movies ever [Spider-Man 2] would be more money than a new guy.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
1) I don't know if you actually know this to be true or not
2) I don't know if you actually know what or where "Marvel HQ" is.
Is there a reason you are calling out on me?

And when Vin Diesel posts a selfie out of a with marvel superheroes decorated room while writing, that he just was at the Marvel HQ, then I consider that he really wa at the Marvel HQ. I think there are not so many conference rooms in the world were people would place Marvel superhero stuff.

And when Vin Diesel posts a selfie out of a with marvel superheroes decorated room while writing, that he just was at the Marvel HQ, then I consider that he really wa at the Marvel HQ. I think there are not so many conference rooms in the world were people would place superhero stuff.

Vin Diesel didn't really "audition" for anything. If he was at Marvel Studios offices, it was for a meeting, not an audition, and at the end of that meeting, they decided they wanted him, and he decided he wanted to work there.

A large casting call for unknown teenagers doesn't have to go through the actual studio offices, and if they do start combing through resumes and headshots and having people screentest and such, it doesn't HAVE to be at those offices. Many a production for many a studio use all manner of studio space, theater, office building, what-have-you, to entertain prospective future employees.

Just because Vin Diesel says he was at "Marvel HQ" doesn't mean all auditions happen at "Marvel HQ" or that you know what or where "Marvel HQ" actually is.

Mumei

Out of all the Spidey's he's definitely the most talented.

He was like a good QB on a shit team. If the guys at Sony put the right creative talent around him his Spidey movies would've been far better. Garfield's Peter should've been on college from the get go.

Anyway, the next Spidey won't be better than him, but his writers and directors will most likely be far better than what Drew got.

Fuck you Sony.

I think not being in college from the get-go was the least of the problems that Garfield's Peter had (which in fairness I think were problems stemming from the writing of the role rather than Garfield's portrayal), if that was indeed a problem at all.

How do auditions for this even work, especially if they want an unknown kid?

I've always been curious about these things.

There's pretty much two ways to cast an unknown*

You hold a cattle call, open audition. You put out a notice that you're casting X part in the various trades and notify agencies. Include pertinent information of what you're looking for in the role, then wait for a horde of unemployed actors to shamble through your office door**. They each read for an underpaid casting agent and (maybe) casting director. Each audition is video taped, with the best ones forwarded on to someone higher up. The tapes keep making it through the chain of command, and constantly thinned down until you get a handful for the key decision makers to approve and settle on a call back list.

The way Marvel most likely did it/is doing it is much more quiet. Their casting director lets the talent agencies they have good relationships with know what Marvel is looking for. Word filters through the ranks, and Agents forward head shots, demo reels and resumes of their appropriate clients to Marvel. The Marvel casting director sifts through this and forwards the most suited candidates along to the decision makers. The decision makers review the material, and any "personal candidates" another decision maker might have (ie. Kevin Feige saw some plucky kid on Teen Wolf, liked him and requested his demo from his agent or Feige might remember a kid they previously auditioned who wasn't right for the part, but could work this time) and get to work. They review the candidates until they have a consensus list for auditions.

*If you're casting a no budget indie, you might beg friends of friends and troll college campuses instead.

**If you're a no budget indie, this is likely a coffee shop. If you're Marvel, it's probably a coffee shop as well, since Ike Perlmutter is cheap.

Blader

And when Vin Diesel posts a selfie out of a with marvel superheroes decorated room while writing, that he just was at the Marvel HQ, then I consider that he really wa at the Marvel HQ. I think there are not so many conference rooms in the world were people would place Marvel superhero stuff.

He may have just been signing the contract there rather than giving an audition. Unless he said otherwise in the picture.

One of my big regrets from my time living in LA was not taking an internship at Marvel Studios, especially since it would've been during the run up to the Avengers. But alas, Manhattan Beach is just way too fucking far from Burbank for someone without a car. :\

Spinluck

enhanced-buzz-6575-1325021373-39.jpg

Psycho will never be the same.

Spinluck

I think not being in college from the get-go was the least of the problems that Garfield's Peter had (which in fairness I think were problems stemming from the writing of the role rather than Garfield's portrayal), if that was indeed a problem at all.

He never looked like a HS kid though outside of some TASM screeves scenes. Especially in TASM2. It just took me out of it and wasn't really sold on what they were selling, and obviously it wasn't the biggest problem with his films. I noted it because it was the safest they could've played it and even then they dropped the ball. Kind of sucks we'll be getting him in HS again. But as long as it's a great portrayal I wouldn't mind.

One thing I liked about Raimi's films is how they glossed over the HS shit (Maguire had the baby face but still), and we pretty much got the closest thing to grown man Spidey in SM2 having problems and dealing with shit. I appreciate those films more and more whenever I look back at them.

Mumei

He never looked like a HS kid though outside of some TASM screeves scenes. Especially in TASM2. It just took me out of it and wasn't really sold on what they were selling, and obviously it wasn't the biggest problem with his films. I noted it because it was the safest they could've played it and even then they dropped the ball. Kind of sucks we'll be getting him in HS again. But as long as it's a great portrayal I wouldn't mind.

One thing I liked about Raimi's films is how they glossed over the HS shit (Maguire had the baby face but still), and we pretty much got the closest thing to grown man Spidey in SM2 having problems and dealing with shit. I appreciate those films more and more whenever I look back at them.

You couldn't see him as a high school student? I actually had more of an issue seeing Maguire as a high school student. Even though he was younger, he didn't look younger, at least not to me:

I surely can't be the only one who raises an eyebrow every time he sees the phrase "grown man Spidey", can I?

The reddit guy posts daily comments / replies. http://www.reddit.com/user/redditleaker23456

The most recent update is from last night at the Paleyfest Panel for Teen Wolf. Jeff Davis creator of TW teased Dylan about being an Avenger. Dylan contradicted what he said about never auditioning for Spider-Man in the buzzfeed interview when he said that he just missed his chance to being in the Avengers.

The crowd chanted 'Spider-Man' Dylan was uncharacteristically silent.

Those interviewing Dylan were prohibited asking him questions about Spider-Man

<a href="https://twitter.com/dylan4spiderman">@dylan4spiderman</a> we weren't allowed to :(((</p>&mdash; Danielle Sacco (@DanielleSacco) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanielleSacco/status/575886593635942400">March 12, 2015</a>

I don't know how to post tweets

BLACKLAC

The reddit guy posts daily comments / replies. http://www.reddit.com/user/redditleaker23456

The most recent update is from last night at the Paleyfest Panel for Teen Wolf. Jeff Davis creator of TW teased Dylan about being an Avenger. Dylan contradicted what he said about never auditioning for Spider-Man in the buzzfeed interview when he said that he just missed his chance to being in the Avengers.

The crowd chanted 'Spider-Man' Dylan was uncharacteristically silent.

Those interviewing Dylan were prohibited asking him questions about Spider-Man

<a href="https://twitter.com/dylan4spiderman">@dylan4spiderman</a> we weren't allowed to :(((</p>&mdash; Danielle Sacco (@DanielleSacco) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanielleSacco/status/575886593635942400">March 12, 2015</a>

I don't know how to post tweets

Apparently it will be up on youtube.

Mumei

So, in other words we've learned nothing, we're grasping at straws, and however we choose to interpret responses, asides, body language, etc. as evidence for or against the rumor is essentially an exercise in motivated reasoning.

scabro

So, in other words we've learned nothing, we're grasping at straws, and however we choose to interpret responses, asides, body language, etc. as evidence for or against the rumor is essentially an exercise in motivated reasoning.
so youre saying its confirmed?

Blader

I'm starting to wonder if that's partly the case. Nobody likes to be reminded of their failures.

Reminds me of Saoirse Ronan auditioning for Star Wars and then being annoyed/upset at admitting she didn't get the part when she was constantly asked by journalists about it later.

I also feel bad for whoever they choose, because if they under-perform even slightly they will have to deal with the "what if Dylan" question.

It's possible his publicist doesn't want people asking him about the role because he doesn't want to answer questions about a movie he isn't going to be in all day. Right?

Is that more or less possible than his actually having the role already sewed up and being told to just lie to the press as other signed actors have done before him?

Keep in mind, the source of this is an anonymous guy on reddit who apparently dropped his rumor about Dylan O'Brien being hired when he did because he was sure that the "big announcement" that Robert Downey Jr. was alluding to on twitter was the hiring of Spider-Man. Which it turns out was not the case. Also, reports of Drew Goddard's (who apparently has the job as Spider-Man writer/director) hiring came with details attached regarding the age-range and casting practices for Spider-Man, neither of which allowed for Dylan O'Brien to be in contention. BUT: those details could be fudged a little, or misinterpreted, maybe?

So which is more possible: That he's not talking to press about it (although twice now he's talked to press about it) because he'd rather not have to discuss a role he's not really up for, or because he'd rather not discuss the role that hasn't been formally announced yet?

I'm leaning more towards the former, mostly because I can't imagine anyone aside from the one single redditguy with his one single credibility-building story, might have missed when Dylan O'Brien had a meeting or audition with Marvel. A lot of people are looking pretty hard at this story. Paul Rudd didn't sneak by anyone. Neither did Benedict Cumberbatch or Chadwick Boseman. But yet the only person who spotted Dylan O'Brien is... redditguy?

Redditleaker23456 didn't spot him. His source who works at Sony knows. If he gives too much away, he will compromise not only himself but his source's employment. Other people who work for various media news outlets such as Variety etc. have their journalistic integrity to maintain.

By leaking this info, he has nothing to gain but the heat from fanboys. We should count ourselves as blessed for being privy to such info. If this plays out and O'Brien had this in the bag, we will be greatly indebted.

The Marvel Sony deal was a bigger leak than this casting sitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom