• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next Justice League trailer description

JayCB

Whedon decided to film it like a Snyder movie cuz that's what he was brought on to do.

giphy.gif

Injustice is what happens when a bunch of people who hate comic books or don't understand comic books write a comic book story. But without any of Alan Moore's craziness and subtext or Frank Millers societal malaise.

I don't think Superman has ever had a strict no-kill policy, he's just not a sociopath and usually he's in control of the situation so he doesn't have to.

Even Batman has attempted to kill if the stakes are high enough,

Injustice is what happens when a bunch of people who hate comic books or don't understand comic books write a comic book story. But without any of Alan Moore's craziness and subtext or Frank Millers societal malaise.

It's stupid fun. I don't think Tom Taylor is treating it as high art or canon, so who is it really hurting.

Joss was brought on after principle had already almost ended.

There was no earthly way he could put anything of himself in more than, max, 10 minutes of film that will be in the theatrical cut.

People still think Whedon's making considerable changes to the movie?

I think he'd already made some. Basically, he was working on the movie for a month or two before we knew he was. He wasn't brought on the day they announced Snyder was leaving. He was brought on before they announced him for Batgirl.

He's probably been working on the movie w/ Snyder & Johns for like 3-4 months by now.

I think he'd already made some. Basically, he was working on the movie for a month or two before we knew he was. He wasn't brought on the day they announced Snyder was leaving. He was brought on before they announced him for Batgirl.

He's probably been working on the movie w/ Snyder & Johns for like 3-4 months by now.

The tell for how much he's had his hand in (which I still don't think will be much) will be his billing in the comicon trailer.

Wasn't it reported Whedon was instructed to keep the tone of his scenes in line with the rest of the film? I mean the script was already laid out for him by Snyder.

Man if this film ends up good and people give Whedon credit over Snyder, my jimmies will be rustled.

Ross61

edit: thinking about the timeline it might be something (here I go w/ Star Wars parallels again) sorta similar to Gilroy & Edwards on Rogue One.
He was working on some additional scenes that he and Snyder wrote together. He's already finished with additional scenes for two characters after like a week.

Can't make two much of a considerable change when two of your main characters are supposed to be filming somewhere else.

It's a DC story set in an alternate universe. Writers don't have to follow the rules at that point.

Johns is obviously not signing off on Evil Superman being the thing for Justice League, which should make it pretty clear that this whole thing is complete nonsense.

JayCB

Bruh, we got like less than 5 months until this movie is out. You can't re-film an entire movie or make significant changes with that short amount of time.

I might be totally making the number up off the top of my head, but I believe they said he's doing two months of reshoots - plus he was working on set before Snyder even left - PLUS, even without any of that editing alone can be enough to completely alter the tone and direction of a movie. A new composer has already been brought in since, which in and of itself can be a massive force in changing a movies tone.

I'm not saying he's reworking the entire thing, but I've got a feeling if you are wanting a "Snyder" film through and through, you could well come away disappointed. Hell, I'm not sure Whedon could even emulate that style if he tried.

It's a DC story set in an alternate universe. Writers don't have to follow the rules at that point.

I don't care if you wanna make Superman evil, go for it, if you do it well more power too you.

My issue is the story is fucking nonsense built upon nonsense with characters acting in the stupidest possible ways imaginable because "well that's just comics bro don't worry about it".

Mid-way through year 1 is when shit just stops making any kind of rational sense for all parties involved.

I don't care if you wanna make Superman evil, go for it, if you do it well more power too you.

My issue is the story is fucking nonsense built upon nonsense with characters acting in the stupidest possible ways imaginable because "well that's just comics bro don't worry about it".

Mid-way through year 1 is when shit just stops making any kind of rational sense for all parties involved.

I'm not saying it makes sense for Superman to go crazy like he did but it makes for a cool video game.

Elbereth

Opinion doesn't have anything to do with it.

Which you'd know if you read things instead of just talking.

The entire thread is all opinion.

The irony is that I'm actually reading what's on the screen and so are you. So what exactly are you talking about?

I've been reading comics since I was a child. That fact doesn't make my opinion any less or more valid than your own. Again, I'm free to have my own opinion even if it's the opposite of yours. You really should stop trying to discourage civil discourse, it's a really bad look.

Better than Batman never losing. It keeps things interesting.

It's not interesting because it's just the opposite of "Batman never loses" (which he does in the regular comics I don't get why people don't know that), because he does nothing BUT lose. Even when there's no rational or logical reason for him to lose.

I guess it depends on the fan. I haven't been serviced in the least by Snyder. I'm still waiting for a movie with a proper Superman in it.

You and me too.

I just mean that Snyder focuses on the obvious fanservice (that stupid flash + nightmare scene in BvS, that forced black suit scene in MoS), that I wouldn't be surprised if he allows Evil Superman to be a thing in Justice League.

Johns is obviously not signing off on Evil Superman being the thing for Justice League, which should make it pretty clear that this whole thing is complete nonsense.

Based on what? Your entire premise rests on speculation (in fairness, this thread is just as much speculation).

I always find it funny that Snyder is seen as the edgiest of Edgelords yet Iron Man, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Nolan if you count the untold ninjas in Begins killed way more people than Snyder's Superman or Batman. MoS damage was all Zod, and whilst Batfleck has a high body count the others are quite high too

First off, do you even know the meaning of edgelord/edgy?

"[Edgelord] Someone, especially posting on the internet, who uses shocking and nihilistic speech and opinions that they themselves may or may not actually believe to gain attention and come across as a more dangerous and unique person. Most Edgelords are teenagers trying to seem overly cool and/or over-casually apathetic." Edgy refers to essentially a type of avant garde work that seeks to be gritty, serious, (hyper)realistic, and contrary to the expected norms that said work falls under. In both definitions, Snyder has been forcing a square peg in a circle hole, by assuming that Superman/Batman needed to be dark, which is contrary to how they're actually written in comic books. You never see the balance or juxtaposition in methods that Clark and Bruce have in the comics in Snyder's work.

Also, are you that dense that you would group in a soldier whose body count consists of Hydra and Nazi soldiers, a hero in a mecha suit whose moral code makes it very clear that he isn't above killing, a heroine who unlike Superman and Batman isn't against killing (though it's more of a last resort) with DCEU's Batman and Superman? The fact that your wording seems to justify Batfleck's killing because everyone does it is hilarious and illogical. It's clear as it's always been that you don't understand the fundamentals of these characters and why that makes them such unique heroes.

MisterHero

I need for someone to say "I will kill you to death"
Johns gets credit for bringing Hope (tm) to the DC universe while reinventing one of the more hopeful and joyful Supes analogues into an unapologetic murderer

Johns' presence isn't convincing me.

Based on what? Your entire premise rests on speculation (in fairness, this thread is just as much speculation).

15+ years of how Geoff Johns writes superheroes, including a lengthy run of him writing Superman.

Obviously Wonder Woman is just a sample size of one so far, but given that the first movie after he took over was much more heroic than previous movies, as well as looking at just about everything Johns has ever written, along with all of his interviews recently, I can't even imagine him going ahead with an Evil Superman plotline as the thing for Justice League.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wasn't it reported Whedon was instructed to keep the tone of his scenes in line with the rest of the film? I mean the script was already laid out for him by Snyder.

Man if this film ends up good and people give Whedon credit over Snyder, my jimmies will be rustled.

Your jimmies are rustle prone mang

Injustice is basically an unintentional parody of all the worst excesses of post-Identity Crisis comic book storytelling and the fact that so many people both a) take it seriously and b) hold it in high regard should be taken as a severe indictment of superhero fandom.

Injustice is basically an unintentional parody of all the worst excesses of post-Identity Crisis comic book storytelling and the fact that so many people both a) take it seriously and b) hold it in high regard should be taken as a severe indictment of superhero fandom.

People are attracted to Injustice cuz of NRS' compelling story mode. The comic is riding the waves off of what that game started.

I've been reading comics since I was a child. That fact doesn't make my opinion any less or more valid than your own.

What are you even talking about right now.

The rumor he posted is a bullshit rumor. It's already been debunked once. That's not an "opinion." The initial thing he reported isn't true. That you've read comics all your life has nothing to do with that.

My asking what you were pumped for was a) mocking you for not having read the thread before you posted in it and b) calling attention to the fact you were pumped for a thing that wasn't going to be happening because it was a bullshit rumor.

Where do you think your history reading superhero comics fits in there?

And why would your concept of what the thread consists of be worth anything when you've already demonstrated you don't read before you speak?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Subjective opinion meet objective fact

Cap kills
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7uI35cmrdzI

Affleck

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GgkQS7q6sT0

Iron man
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hroYWMHOnNU

Superman
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wMPZElN-SJw

The bringing down of the ship was unforeseen but other than that it's all Zod.
You know that nobody cares that Cap and Iron Man kill people, right? Like nobody is shocked by it as if it is some glaring contradiction, because them avoiding doing so hasn't been beaten into the cultural consciousness as part of the backbone of those characters. And none of those movies revel in it.

Whereas Snyder is called an "edgelord" because plucky photographer Jimmy Olsen gets shot in the face a whole two minutes after his introduction. A lady is murdered by being thrown in front of a train, disturbing images of Superman's mom are dangled in front of him under threat of her being torched to death, and multiple sequences of Batman furiously and angrily murdering guys, all for the sole purpose of making the movie as "fucked up and gritty" as possible. There's a motherfucking R-rated Superman movie now. Who the fuck needed that?

If you can't tell the difference, that's completely on you. Snyder is considered an edgelord because of his tone and intent, which are in direct contradiction with something like Wonder Woman, or Iron Man, or Captain America.

cr0w

Old Member

Whedon's presence will be felt when Supes refers to Diana as a "poodle" when she expresses a differing viewpoint despite previously describing himself as an avowed feminist.

okdakor

Whereas Snyder is called an "edgelord" because plucky photographer Jimmy Olsen gets shot in the face a whole two minutes after his introduction. A lady is murdered by being thrown in front of a train, disturbing images of Superman's mom are dangled in front of him under threat of her being torched to death, and multiple sequences of Batman furiously and angrily murdering guys, all for the sole purpose of making the movie as "fucked up and gritty" as possible. There's a motherfucking R-rated Superman movie now. Who the fuck needed that?

Batman iron branding people is a fucked up idea too...

I always find it funny that Snyder is seen as the edgiest of Edgelords yet Iron Man, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Nolan if you count the untold ninjas in Begins killed way more people than Snyder's Superman or Batman. MoS damage was all Zod, and whilst Batfleck has a high body count the others are quite high too

All of the MCU heroes kill, none torture people after they've already been apprehended or kill in cold blood like Batman does. Also no one complained about Superman killing Innocents, the issue is him not caring to save anyone.

Hell, say what you want about the Age of Ultron, but it's entire climax hinges is an evacuation effort.

Evil Superman is a cool idea. The actor who plays Superman is one of the worst actors ever. So making him a villain who is removed from the rest of the real actors is a good idea.

I'm pretty sure this is nonsense. It sounds plausible, but I think its just a good troll. Cyborg looks despressed, and Aquamans place is in ruins, I mean it sounds like it is taking the piss out of the demure nature of Snyders movies. Evil Superman in all black with a mullet. I really hope that part is true though. I think it would potentially be the best part of the movie. But I find really hard to believe Warners is going to allow an evil Superman after all the shit they've gotten with how they handled the character.

And what the fuck is a parademon? He mentions that as if its a household term that everyone knows.

Theorry

All of the MCU heroes kill, none torture people after they've already been apprehended or kill in cold blood like Batman does. Also no one complained about Superman killing Innocents, the issue is him not caring to save anyone.

Hell, say what you want about the Age of Ultron, but it's entire climax hinges is an evacuation effort.

Never understood why people say this. The movies i saw he did.

Top Bottom