• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

J-Rod

It sounds too good to be true. High end gpu and enough ram play games and run an instance of a standard desktop os in a vm at the same time.

The 8800 series would still only be like less than $200 consumer price GPUs. I imagine that would be significantly lower in cost for Microsoft.

AMD renumbered their cards so the current era X800's are the old x700's.

I guess so, the xbox 360 graphics card is close to an x1800 and it was released at the same time.

8 core cpu still seems ridiculous to me, 4 core with two threads each would be more reasonable.

They're very similar. RAM will likely be the only big difference. We still have no idea what Sony's doing on the RAM front.

I think most expected Durango and Orbis to be comparable on the tech side of things, much similar to 360 & PS3 as of now. To be honest I'd be very happy with that. Can't wait for next gen.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
E3 is going to be monster this year if the specs are true. I really hope they launch this year.

It sounds too good to be true. High end gpu and enough ram play games and run an instance of a standard desktop os in a vm at the same time.

AMD naming schemes/scams effects still lingering 2.5 years later.

x8xx amd cards are midrange ones, x9xx are the high end now , they changed it with the 6000 series.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The over under is going to be how much RAM is locked away for OS and set-top box TV recording duties. I seem to remember initial reports was 16gb ram, with an even split between console and set top box duties. Maybe its 4gb and 4gb now, or indeed thats what Mr Leaky was getting at over the console's RAM secret and its 8gb and 8gb.

Oh and lets not forget the Kinect 2.0 and XBOX GOGGLES (Xboggles) stuff we already know.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I guess so, the xbox 360 graphics card is close to an x1800 and it was released at the same time.

8 core cpu still seems ridiculous to me, 4 core with two threads each would be more reasonable.

If it is the jaguar no ridiculous at all. Those cores are really tiny like 3.1mm. If there is 8 of them I would not be suprised if 2 are dedicated to the OS. I also expect a small arm chip for hypervisor type security chip.

I respectfully disagree. I think if you can dazzle people with and get a "Wow!" from the crowd with graphics and features, people will just start throwing their wallets. $599 every 5-8-10 years is NOT bad. If you can't afford it, but you want to enjoy the latest and greatest, by all means, take up another job. Gaming is one of the most expensive habits there is, its always been that way, and probably always will be that way.

I, personally, would easily pay $599 for a truly powerful next gen console that was going to last me a long time, and integrate heavily into my entertainment life.

MS isn't launching a console at 599. Much better to eat a loss then break that psychological barrier of 5--.

that gpu must be under clocked like a bitch to not consume as much power as its desktop counterpart, or it could be the mobile variant.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Care to share a bit more? :p

From things said both machines will be very similar.

They're generally supposed to be in the same relative power band, and even have incredibly similar parts.

Like AMD is also believed to be manufacturing all of Sony's stuff.

Of course Sony is also rumored to be a bit behind in shipping to devs, so I imagine especially solid rumors would be hard to come by.

Here's one thing I know for sure, both PS4 and Xbox 8 will be mind blowing. They will be advance as fuck and you may not be able to tell any difference in porting unless dev knowledge is lacking regarding extraction of console power and capabilities.

With that said, the things that matter to me the most now is what the console can provide to the consumer.

1. Free (or cheap) online gaming;
2. Day One services to industry standards like Netflix, Facebook, Twitter and more.
3. Integrated store, menu, chat and more.
4. Bigger hard-drive (or cheaper upgrade).
5. No more FAT32. 4GB limitation is shit and Sony needs to bump up to something else that is free format. exFAT or ext3, or bust!
6. No more slow optical drives. BD-ROM has been close to mastered. If Sony is keen at promoting 4K HDTV, then I expect BDXL and nothing less.

Eideka

Banned
From those specs, is the Durango on par with a high-end PC of 2012 ?

That's what many people expected from a next-gen console.

quest

Not Banned from OT
They're generally supposed to be in the same relative power band, and even have incredibly similar parts.

Like AMD is also believed to be manufacturing all of Sony's stuff.

Of course Sony is also rumored to be a bit behind in shipping to devs, so I imagine especially solid rumors would be hard to come by.

How AMD has no fabs any more they can manufactor anything.

j9r4Q.jpg

So will Forza 5 look like this or what?
lol...

Maybe?

Xbox

forza-2u9jx6.jpg

Xbox 360

3053324-199650-1280xmkm7.jpg

edit:

Sounds like devkit specs.
So 4GB for retail.

It really doesn't sound like 4Gb for the final system, specially with rumors and hints from devs that 8GB will be in the final console. Despite what some people keep insisting.

They're very similar. RAM will likely be the only big difference. We still have no idea what Sony's doing on the RAM front.

It should be said that both the CPUS and the GPUS will be different. Even if they perform on the same level, their designs won't be nearly the same. Why would MS or Sony, spend millions on R&D and then just go with machines that are basically the same? Just sounds so pointless.

DieH@rd

Banned

Well... that will indeed happen. :) Jaguar has modules, each having some shared and some dedicated hardware for two/four threads. Look it up if you want.

12280_Jaguar-CU.jpg

MS will pick the best configuration for 8 threads [whatever they choose it will be heavily modified] and insert it as a base for their APU. GPU will be much much much more power hungry, and because of HSA, it will be able to provide excellent help to the CPU.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I am wondering how do these specs compare to a desktop with i5 2500K, 8GB ram, sli GTX680 for example. Will performance be about the same? I am guessing not since the new xbox will have a specialized OS without all the background services running in windows.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think most expected Durango and Orbis to be comparable on the tech side of things, much similar to 360 & PS3 as of now. To be honest I'd be very happy with that. Can't wait for next gen.
Same here. I want them to be as close as possible in gaming performance. Then no one will get shitty ports and it'll be way easier for devs.

Takuya

Banned
Always so negative in MS threads.

It's negative to want them to not screw up their next console? I don't think consumers want to replace their $400-500 machine three or six times again next generation. If I wanted to be negative I would've said "how slow" instead of "how fast".

These specs sound too outrageous to be believable. Granted, RAM and HDD space have gotten significantly cheaper over the years, but a high-end GPU and CPU? There's no way this thing would be affordable to anyone but enthusiasts, unless that whole "cell-phone payment plan" thing was also true.

But I will admit, I like the theming around "8". 8 core CPU, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD8800, 640GB (8x8x10) HDD, apparently related to Windows 8... That has to be intentional.

quest

Not Banned from OT
From those specs, is the Durango on par with a high-end PC of 2012 ?

That's whay many people expected from a next-gen console.

I don't think so more like high mid range kind of thing. It is just not in the cards for that kind of spec machine to be sold 399.99 with out much of a loss. Sony and MS are not going to take much of a loss this time around at launch. You can see it with the way they have kept prices extremely high at this point to keep up profits.

Delicious. Halo, Forza, Assassin's Creed, GTA ... Can't wait.

I REALLY hope my Fanatec setup works on the next Xbox and PS3. I will be seriously pissed off it doesn't with how much money I threw at that.

Eideka

Banned
That depends on how "high-end" you go, and how effective their customizations are.

But top-end? No.

I was thinking about a GTX680 and a 3770K.

So no ?

It's sad because in 2005 the 360 was really cutting-edge and this won't be the case with this Durango.

But you're going to be paying to play online with Xbox anyway, this way you get it cheaper up front.

That's a good point. It's just so much cheaper for yearly subs than monthly, I guess.

Hopefully there will also be a non-subscription price as well. My biggest wish remains Forza 5 as a launch title. May not be able to resist that.

Top Bottom