• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

amar212

I REALLY hope my Fanatec setup works on the next Xbox and PS3. I will be seriously pissed off it doesn't with how much money I threw at that.

99% it will.

NextBox will continue to use Xinput (XID) while PS4 will 100% continue with HID and USB support.

Some firmware for Xinput 1.4/1.6. will be probably be released with time, but IMO it should work with no probs.

BlackJace

This cellphone plan pricing model has to be true if these are the specs.
Unless MS plans on taking a large loss on each console.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Delicious. Halo, Forza, Assassin's Creed, GTA ... Can't wait.

I REALLY hope my Fanatec setup works on the next Xbox and PS3. I will be seriously pissed off it doesn't with how much money I threw at that.

SELL NOW! DON'T THINK! JUST ACT!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, if it's truly between 500 and 600mm2 as rumored that is balls out crazy. I'd almost wonder if the APU route is worth it at that point over discreet chips, since if one part of the APU fails you have to throw out all that otherwise functional silicon.

And again, Jaguar cores are tiny and don't really fit into all of this, unless there is a lot of silicon doing dedicated functions like a physics processor? Even that doesn't use much space, nor does an audio processor or signal processor, dsp, etc. I'm still thinking IBM Power7 based CPU.

none of it makes sense. Jaguar cores take no space, an 8850 isn't nearly that big. Unless literally half of the chip is edram there is no reason for it to be so large.

Somebody could probably do the sums on a 500-600mm die with 8 jaguar cores and 7850 GPU (-xx% for stripping out unnecessary parts) to figure out how many mm2 could be edram, from which we could estimate memory size.

i-Lo

Even 4GB would be a godsend, look what they can achieve now with 512mb.

Yea, come to think of it, the scale of advancement from SD to HD with less than 512 to be exact is amazing. Plus, lest we forget, games don't use 100% of RAM 100% of the time. I remember seeing this dev screen of KZ3 which showed the system ram usage to be around 93MB and video RAM of 151MB during optimization. So considering all those things, the advancements in graphics and animation and scale have been a true testament of the developers who really wrung the necks of these consoles for every last ounce of performance.

Durante

I was thinking about a GTX680 and a 3770K.

So no ?

It's sad because in 2005 the 360 was really cutting-edge and this won't be the case with this Durango.
Well, in 2005 high-end GPUs had a 140W TDP at most.

I don't know why you insist on this. There's nothing in those specs preventing them from selling it at $400 at a profit.

charsace

One rumor had this being a 16 threaded cpu. If that is true and games are optimized for that then you can toss out 2-4 threaded cpus as gaming cpus.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The question is... Would MS be gutsy enough to put everything on one die from the start with an HMC stack on top?

System bandwidth would be... Well... Insane

Durante

none of it makes sense. Jaguar cores take no space, an 8850 isn't nearly that big. Unless literally half of the chip is edram there is no reason for it to be so large.
Maybe they said fuck everything and it's actually 8 Steamroller modules :p
This is a joke

quest

Not Banned from OT

Why? This is mid range PC type of specs nothing out of this world. 8 tiny CPUs combined with a midrange GPU which a 88xx would be. The high end will be 89xxx. This is what I expected but will disappoint a lot here hoping to get a high end PC specs for 399.99 dollars.

That seems really optimistic. Here's hoping for the best though(I won't be buying any new console on day one anyway, so I'm not quite as concerned about the price).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm still hoping that MS does what Sony did with the PS3 and allows swappable notebook hard drives. Plopping a 750GB drive into my PS3 was the best thing I ever did to mine.

Erethian

Where are you getting this from?

Pretty sure both will take a considerable loss at first, hardware revisions will come faster though.

I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't want to kill themselves supporting a console sold at a "considerable" loss. Not that I'm saying they won't sell at a loss, they obviously will, but it'll be a moderate loss at most.

BlackJace

Why? This is mid range PC type of specs nothing out of this world. 8 tiny CPUs combined with a midrange GPU which a 88xx would be. The high end will be 89xxx. This is what I expected but will disappoint a lot here hoping to get a high end PC specs for 399.99 dollars.

I guess I'm thinking too highly of the GPU and CPU then :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wasn't it originally supposed to be 256mb though? Then Epic pushed for the 512mb?
It sounds like MS was solid with RAM from early on this time because of Windows 8 integration. It sounds like it was Sony that got yelled at for more RAM after intially aiming for 2Gb of GDDR5.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Where are you getting this from?

Pretty sure both will take a considerable loss at first, hardware revisions will come faster though.

I doubt that very much. They will follow the Wii U and sell for a small loss. Sony does not have the cash to take large losses. And MS does not have the stomach for it any more. If that was the case we would not see these jacked up prices of the current generation. Really 250 dollars for a new PS3.

i-Lo

X360 devkits (except the XNA limited devkits edition) have the same amount of memory than a retail machine.

Interesting, I thought it was a revision for all dev kits later down the line. Thanks for dropping another bomb. I know this is Xbox 3's discussion but can I boldly ask whether the RAM situation for PS4 is looking equally favourable?

Holy sh*t. 8 GB of memory? That's good to hear. I actually expected no more than 2 GB.

This baffles me. RAM is cheap as shit these days. It's the brand new, not yet released $300 video card that nobody's used in the wild yet that seems unrealistic about these specifications.

Oh, and while we're at it, 640GB hard drives are also about $40 these days.

Maybe?

Xbox 360

3053324-199650-1280xmkm7.jpg

more like:

ielZ4xbhKi4H5.JPEG

Eideka

Banned
Both companies want to be profitable from day 1.

Ok, I understand that. That will do anyway, if those specs are accurate then PC gaming has everything to gain from this.

It's the generational leap anyone should rightfully expect...But it's not what I dreamed of, not at all.
I wanted something that could rival a high-end PC of 2012...Given that the Durango launches in 2013 I thought this was a safe bet.

I'm gonna need some next gen pants to contain all my excitement. E3's gonna be fun. Can't wait to see what all the devs have in store for Sony and Microsoft's new hardware. Notably Naughty Dog, Epic and Remedy.

Three60

99% it will.

NextBox will continue to use Xinput (XID) while PS4 will 100% continue with HID and USB support.

Some firmware for Xinput 1.4/1.6. will be probably be released with time, but IMO it should work with no probs.

Hm such a shame, deep down I hoped that i can use my G27 on next forza :(

What about WiiU? XiD or HID? Or something else?

Top Bottom