• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

Just got off of hospital work, yeap - once again -

720p
720p

720p
720p
720p
720p
720p
720p
720p
iWaessfnQkYRG.gif

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
I think a lot of us owned an OG Xbox, or at least bought a 360 initially. 360 was awesome. Loved that console, it treated me well when PS3 was too over-priced, and had third party games that weren't as good on it (because of the consoles design choices). I started to lose faith in the MS brand half way into 360's life cycle. It started to become apparent that they were more focused on the social media/entertainment side of things, and I just lost interest in their repeat franchises.

I feel like the decisions MS have made with X1 only reaffirms what I felt 5 years ago and why I switched back to PS3 to ride out this current gen, and am going with PS4 for next gen.

Same here didn't switch to PS3 though, thought the generation would have ended a couple of years ago and waited until now to final abandon . I've been mainly PC for a couple of years.

velociraptor

Thanks for that, answers a previous post I had about last gen differences in power. Obviously the gap is much, much more significant this generation.

Now I just need a similar breakdown for PS2 VS Xbox VS GC? And while we're at it PS1 VS N64, and maybe throw in the Sega consoles in there haha.
It's more difficult to compare previous architectures (this includes the PS3 and 360) because they're different. Now we have two consoles - both with the same CPUs, both with GPUs from the same manufacturer. It's an apples to apples comparison. The gulf between the PS4 and Xbox One is obviously far, far bigger than the PS3 vs 360 one. So while there may have been very small differences in the previous generation, it's silly to expect this trend to continue. Still, the PS3 was 'only' 50gflops more powerful. God of War 3, Killzone 3, Uncharted 3, The Last Of Us are arguably the best looking console games of last gen.

jaosobno

Majanew

Banned
PS3 | RSX: 176 Gflops and Cell: 218 Gflops, Total 394 Gflops

360 | Xenos: 240 Gflops and CPU: 115 Gflops, Total 355 Glops

PS3 was a more powerful console but keep in mind these are theoretical numbers. It is much more difficult to tap in the power of the Cell.

Xenos is actually 216 GFLOPS

Jack cw

The gap should get smaller, actually. Think about PS3; as tools and developer knowledge improved they closed the gap with the much-more-easily-utilised 360. Or at least, the minimum should be raised. There's no hardware reason why COD shouldn't run at at least 900p (although 1080p is probably unlikely).
PS3 was harder to develop for but wasnt underpowered compared to 360. They were more or less even but this time its a significant gap in power and the results are not simply some weaker textures, but a 50%+ resolution difference. Of course, development on xbone will get better and optimized, but also on PS4. The factual gap will remain and cant be closed by optimization and balancing.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It's more difficult to compare previous architectures (this includes the PS3 and 360) because they're different. Now we have two consoles - both with the same CPUs, both with GPUs from the same manufacturer. It's an apples to apples comparison. The gulf between the PS4 and Xbox One is obviously far, far bigger than the PS3 vs 360 one. So while there may have been very small differences in the previous generation, it's silly to expect this trend to continue. Still, the PS3 was 'only' 50gflops more powerful. God of War 3, Killzone 3, Uncharted 3, The Last Of Us are arguably the best looking console games of last gen.
Thanks. I'm not good with specs at all. If I was I'd be a PC gamer I suppose haha.

This is not just about COD Ghosts.

This is about every COD going forward. Right out of the gate, the Xbox is getting the worse version of their flagship third party game.

This is not some unknown third party game. This is COD, a game that has consistently run better on the Xbox for the past 7 years. And out of the gate, the PS4 has the better resolution by a big amount?

If a developer making COD has problems with the Xbox, you know something fucked up is going on.

. (if real)

Crisco

Banned
I personally think this is more indicative of the state that the Xbox One's development tools are in then the actual difference in hardware power. It's also clear that the ESRAM pool will be a major constraint throughout the gen. The problem is, we already know the PS4 has a nontrivial hardware advantage over the Xbox One. That's indisputable. This shows that the One is also significantly harder to develop a PC port for. Combine the two and that does not bode well for the state of multiplatform games on the One throughout the gen.

ClearData

I'd have a hard time believing this would happen. Microsoft has a comfortable (read: lucrative) working relationship with Activision and if that is not stopping them from worrying about a potential 720p of Ghosts then, to me, that means both are comfortable that it won't effect sales and, with upscales, the average consumer won't notice.

I'd also think that that practice, if actually employed, would attract anti-competive lawsuits.

HariKari

COD has never been a flagship third party title. Gears? Sure. Fable? for a time. COD has always been THE big third party game, but I have never met a single person that actually thinks it has anything to do with Xbox as a title. Perhaps this is an american thing. In the UK, COD is COD, no matter the platform. It is not heavily associated with the Xbox brand in general.
=

The number of CoD copies sold on X360 vs PS3 says otherwise. It would be a bigger blow to MS if CoD wasn't on the downturn like it is. Ghosts just isn't selling as well as CoD should.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This game looks like an Xbox 360 game.

I'm going to say that any failure to reach 1080p60 with this title speaks more to the failures of the programming team than the hardware.

hohoXD123

How many confirmations do you need?
Direct confirmation from Activision or MS, thus discounting any possibility of it being false, which based on the recent tweets posted we could be getting soon. As of now it just looks likely but it can still turn out to be false, don't see why you would cancel a pre-order on what is still a rumour.

Not to get off tangent too much but brand loyalty is so crazy. Its understandable when your going through puberty and you have all these odd emotional eruptions I mean I remember having a well thought out opinion on why I would only ever buy Raphael Ninja Turtle toys but then I grew up and realized hey Michelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo are pretty cool too.

It's so nice that if you see something that looks interesting or fun you can just get it and not worry that is somehow devalues your principles which some people have crazy enough attached to their identity.

Loakum

Banned
It is hard to believe that CoD will only go to 720p on the Xbox One. Does Ghosts has some Kinect exclusive features? Perhaps that may play a part in this? (just a guess)

Yep and a lot of that had to do with exclusive content and features which goes back to my previous point.

Don't get me wrong though, the PS4's price will obviously help the system. Just too soon to say that that alone will cause the system to have a "PS2-like dominance".

Biggest fail in yourn argument is not accounting earlier release of systems. Especially with ps2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom