• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HariKari

Direct confirmation from Activision or MS, thus discounting any possibility of it being false, which based on the recent tweets posted we could be getting soon. As of now it just looks likely but it can still turn out to be false, don't see why you would cancel a pre-order on what is still a rumour.

No one capable of refuting this rumor would let it fester for so long. The silence is very telling.

Raist

Banned
ibd6doS5JIqNX2.png

First cesspool, now turds. :'(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I personally think this is more indicative of the state that the Xbox One's development tools are in then the actual difference in hardware power. It's also clear that the ESRAM pool will be a major constraint throughout the gen. The problem is, we already know the PS4 has a nontrivial hardware advantage over the Xbox One. That's indisputable. This shows that the One is also significantly harder to develop a PC port for. Combine the two and that does not bode well for the state of multiplatform games on the One throughout the gen.

Yeah agreed. 1080p is 2.25x the pixels as 720p. That's far more than just the power differences. The combination of power, efficiency, ease of development, and mature tools in the PS4 are making a huge difference out of the gate. I think resolutions will get closer throughout the gen but as devs get better at PS4 as well they may have more eye candy instead of massively improved resoluton.

I'd have a hard time believing this would happen. Microsoft has a comfortable (read: lucrative) working relationship with Activision and if that is not stopping them from worrying about a potential 720p of Ghosts then, to me, that means both are comfortable that it won't effect sales and, with upscales, the average consumer won't notice.

I'd also think that that practice, if actually employed, would attract anti-competive lawsuits.
Sony and Activision also have a major agreement for Destiny. Activision is less invested in MS now that EA and MS have gotten close. This is the first time in a generation that CoD wasn't shown at the MS conference but BF4 was.

Just got off of hospital work, yeap - once again -

720p
720p

720p
720p
720p
720p
720p
720p
720p

I know 3 people who have preorded XB1. Every single time I try and tell them that it is a half baked device.. I can never convince them (KI is looking to be the only game on it which impresses me froma gameplay perspective even if it is 720p (dear jesus, 720p)).

I wonder what they think of this.

Mondy

Banned
What an incredible thing to type about a games console, just.... lol

You know what he means. The games are going to have to be so much better as opposed to PS4 as to completely negate everything that has happened to Microsoft. DRMgate, this drama with the power discrepancy, Sportsbox 720....

Do you really see the games being that good? I don't.

I'm considering cancelling mine but the money saved will either be pocketed or put into a massive SSD for Steam. I find it strange people feel obliged to go for a console they weren't interested in originally just because their original one of choice may not be all that grand. Hold on to your cash for a while.

No Different then buying a new truck. You find out that in the new model year they didn't address customer concerns , or changed something . You can always change to another manufacturer that is building the truck that the consumer wants.

The XB1 and PS4 both do the same thing...play games. So moving from one console to another is not such a big leap. The point is if you are going to get a gaming console you want the Best bang for your buck. Brand Loyalty comes into play when you are looking at two similar specked systems. Unfortunately for MS these are not similarly specked.
I jumped ship this gen and that decision is looking better day by day.

Cornbread78

Wow... just wow... Another bad day incoming for MS employees in Redmond. Damage control incoming...

PS3 | RSX: 176 Gflops and Cell: 218 Gflops, Total 394 Gflops

360 | Xenos: 240 Gflops and CPU: 115 Gflops, Total 355 Glops

PS3 was a more powerful console but keep in mind these are theoretical numbers. It is much more difficult to tap in the power of the Cell.

Exactly, just go ask Bethesda who couldn't even figure it out through an entire generation...

Gaz_RB

Not to get off tangent too much but brand loyalty is so crazy. Its understandable when your going through puberty and you have all these odd emotional eruptions I mean I remember having a well thought out opinion on why I would only ever buy Raphael Ninja Turtle toys but then I grew up and realized hey Michelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo are pretty cool too.

It's so nice that if you see something that looks interesting or fun you can just get it and not worry that is somehow devalues your principles which some people have crazy enough attached to their identity.

Yeah I remember those days. When I was a 360 fanboy and relentlessly rallied against Killzone and PS3 exclusives. You grow out of it. At least most of us do.

It'll only get worse once everyone has laid down 400+ on these consoles and they'll need to start justifying their purchases online.

Gaz_RB

You know what he means. The games are going to have to be so much better as opposed to PS4 as to completely negate everything that has happened to Microsoft. DRMgate, this drama with the power discrepancy, Sportsbox 720....

Do you really see the games being that good? I don't.

They could be. Early 360 had some damn good exclusives. The point he's trying to make is that it's crazy to him that games aren't number one on everyone's list to begin with. Which I agree with.

How many 1600x900 360 games are there?

It doesn't matter, at all. Unless it is perfectly divisible (i.e. like how Apple doubled the X and Y resolution when they made retina iPhones) there will always be a scaling blur.

Ask any LCD-toting PC gamer: they would rather take a hit in any other area before losing 1:1 pixel mapping. Scaling is a horrible way to make up for shortcomings. Hell, I'd take black borders and letterboxes before any kind of scaling, this is 2013, 2005 solutions have no place in new consoles.

I-hate-u

I'd have a hard time believing this would happen. Microsoft has a comfortable (read: lucrative) working relationship with Activision and if that is not stopping them from worrying about a potential 720p of Ghosts then, to me, that means both are comfortable that it won't effect sales and, with upscales, the average consumer won't notice.

I'd also think that that practice, if actually employed, would attract anti-competive lawsuits.

MS will have a tougher time negotiating anything if they lose market leadership to Sony in US at least.

szaromir

Banned
Not to get off tangent too much but brand loyalty is so crazy. Its understandable when your going through puberty and you have all these odd emotional eruptions I mean I remember having a well thought out opinion on why I would only ever buy Raphael Ninja Turtle toys but then I grew up and realized hey Michelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo are pretty cool too.

It's so nice that if you see something that looks interesting or fun you can just get it and not worry that is somehow devalues your principles which some people have crazy enough attached to their identity.
I have to ask - why would you write a never-ending message on an Internet forum about an upcoming game (I'm referring to the MGS4 OT OP) if not some fanatical brand loyalty?

gaugebozo

To the people who say this won't matter if true: Lots of people who play COD buy $100-200 headsets just to get a slight advantage on the direction a sound is coming from. Of course they're going to care that they can tell that little clump of pixels in the distance is a player or a plant.

CREMSteve

There's no way in hell that Activision goes on record stating it's 720p. That would be counterproductive to maximizing sales on the platform.

Microsoft will almost assuredly (if this is all true) come out with a deceptive comment along the lines of "Ghosts fully supports 1080p on the XB1."

From a business perspective, that would be their best play in a scenario such as this.

To the people who say this won't matter if true: Lots of people who play COD buy $100-200 headsets just to get a slight advantage on the direction a sound is coming from. Of course they're going to care that they can tell that little clump of pixels in the distance is a player or a plant.

/

Tsundere

Banned
There's no way in hell that Activision goes on record stating it's 720p. That would be counterproductive to maximizing sales on the platform.

Microsoft will almost assuredly (if this is all true) come out with a deceptive comment along the lines of "Ghosts fully supports 1080p on the XB1."

From a business perspective, that would be their best play in a scenario such as this.

And if they do, and are proven wrong, it'll be even worse for them.

HariKari

I love how dismissive he is. Basically looking down on everyone it seems - it is impossible to be concerned about the performance of a next gen console, it can only be from whiners.

Don't you know? He's a games journalist. He is the gatekeeper and his opinion means more than yours. Very serious business, this internet journalism.

If NBA 2k14 is also 720p ..... Fijhngcsdbg!

One game where there will be zero excuses for the differences. And the differences will be so obvious.

Majanew

Banned
It doesn't matter, at all. Unless it is perfectly divisible (i.e. like how Apple doubled the X and Y resolution when they made retina iPhones) there will always be a scaling blur.

Ask any LCD-toting PC gamer: they would rather take a hit in any other area before losing 1:1 pixel mapping. Scaling is a horrible way to make up for shortcomings. Hell, I'd take black borders and letterboxes before any kind of scaling, this is 2013, 2005 solutions have no place in new consoles.

You said "as unsharp as 360 games". No, it's sharper than 360 games because it's 1600x900. Scaling that to 1080p is better than 720p to 1080p.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
It is hard to believe that CoD will only go to 720p on the Xbox One. Does Ghosts has some Kinect exclusive features? Perhaps that may play a part in this? (just a guess)

As far as I know there is no major Kinect feature, possibly no Kinect features at all. This is my own personal opinion but I believe the lack of time and hardware specs are why it's only 720p. If the devs had another year to work on the X1 version, I am sure it would be 1080p.

Calcium

Banned
I find it hard to believe that the Xbone can't handle 1080p. If it's true then MS really dropped the ball on this one.

Interfectum

I have to ask - why would you write a never-ending message on an Internet forum about an upcoming game (I'm referring to the MGS4 OT OP) if not some fanatical brand loyalty?

Not to speak for him but the motivation to do a mega-thread like that could come from both having an interest in said game and getting a reaction out of neogaf.... which he did and was even tagged for it.

Krakn3Dfx

I'm thinking the PS4 version might not be 1080p either. IW's real talent walked out the door a few years ago and Activision doesn't want to put real money into development time or talent, look at that Walking Dead game they made, and really, what has Activision made that has been truly noteworthy in the last few years?

This is exactly what happens when stop thinking critically and begin thinking commercially. Raphael is, objectively speaking, the coolest.

Darksol

Spent the past two days with a penpal from Japan, log on to NeoGAF to find 110+ pages of HOLY SHIT I had to read.

This is crazy. I was seriously expecting a 900/1080 split for most of the generation. If 720p is really MS' go to resolution...wtf.

Kudos to all the glorious devs, and insiders who broke and developed the story.

Mondy

Banned
It wouldn't be wrong though, the game will support up scaling to 1080p, I don't think there's any question about that.

This uproar relates only to the native resolution.

The differences between upscaled and native are noticeable. You would see it in the textures alone.

Averon

Opinion on GAF has almost been pro-PS4 since E3. Nothing changed, this is the final hammer in the XBone's coffin on GAF.

They weren't looking for an excuse. The GPU differences have been talked about since E3. Now it's finally truly confirmed though with Xbox 720p VS PS 1080p.

THIS.

There has been a strong streak of denial regarding the power differences between the PS4 and XB1. No matter how many times the specs of both machines were debated--and the advantages of the PS4's GPU and RAM setup was clearly shown many, many times--some people still didn't want to believe that MS could have created such a weaker machine than the PS4.

Ghosts being 720p on the XB1 and 1080p on the PS4 is first evidence that the power difference is real and has always been real, and some are now just starting to cope with that.

rinse82

That's only a valid point if XB1 players could play against PS4 players though. Just sayin'

About MGS? Oh man it was my favorite game series of all time up until number 4. After Snake Eater I was anticipating it and Halo 3 more than anything else. I convinced myself 4 was brilliant but I have played it several times now and its just not nearly as good as the previous ones. That's why I haven't been very active in the MGS5 threads I lost a lot of excitement for it. I think your misunderstanding my point though I have no loyalty to Metal Gear that impacts my enjoyment of Splinter Cell or competing games of the stealth genre. Being excited about something and exhibiting brand loyalty are two very different things.

Dinjooh

I must not have grown up yet, since clearly Raphael is still the coolest.

irbzquTUhgOhY.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom