• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Into

1ofeW6m.png

Cornbread78

That was PS3's split RAM causing Skyrim's problems.

Yes, you are correct, I was just using the platform as a change to throw another fireball at Bethesda, just hoping they can get it through their skull that while we appreciate their work, they need to learn the hardware and use it to it's strength.

Humble? No. Confident? Yes.

I'd actually say a little of both here. They have been approaching the PS4's launch in a very humble manner. Stating they need to do what is right for gamers and they need to get into our good graces again, that is very humble.. Now confidence, hell yeah; Just look what the other side has done thus far, every fumble gives them more and more confidence and Cerny appears to have covered almost every possible angle to get the best system out there.

You said "as unsharp as 360 games". No, it's sharper than 360 games because it's 1600x900. Scaling that to 1080p is better than 720p to 1080p.

No, it is not, that's the point. There is nothing about scaled 900p that makes it sharper than scaled 720p.

It doesn't get 'better' until you have a perfectly divisible ratio.

540p is sharped than either of them, for example, simply because its 4:1.

720p is as close to 540p as 900p is as close to 1080p. They're equally bad choices for scaling to 1080p.

960x1080 would be a better choice, or even 1920x540, although that is more noticeably blocky due to how our eyes perceive details.

Hydrargyrus

Wow, nothing stops this train

845214279fb7284.gif

HariKari

I'm thinking the PS4 version might not be 1080p either. IW's real talent walked out the door a few years ago and Activision doesn't want to put real money into development time or talent, look at that Walking Dead game they made, and really, what has Activision made that has been truly noteworthy in the last few years?

A team of fresh grads could probably get the PS4 version to run at 1080. It's not a visually demanding game. That's the whole impetus behind this thread and the uproar. Ryse at 900p? Sure. CoD at 720p? Really?

Loakum

Banned
As far as I know there is no major Kinect feature, possibly no Kinect features at all. This is my own personal opinion but I believe the lack of time and hardware specs are why it's only 720p. If the devs had another year to work on the X1 version, I am sure it would be 1080p.

That makes sense. On the bright side..Call of Duty Ghosts looks exactly like Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, so if it's as fun as it, then I will be a Happy Panda.

x-Lundz-x

I find it hard to believe that the Xbone can't handle 1080p. If it's true then MS really dropped the ball on this one.

It's not that it can't handle 1080P, it's the fact the hardware is so under powered compared to it's main competition the PS4 that developers are having to downrez the games to try and keep visual parity between the two.

Kimosabae

Banned
There's no way in hell that Activision goes on record stating it's 720p. That would be counterproductive to maximizing sales on the platform.

Microsoft will almost assuredly (if this is all true) come out with a deceptive comment along the lines of "Ghosts fully supports 1080p on the XB1."

From a business perspective, that would be their best play in a scenario such as this.

I fail to see how the resolution difference between versions affects the decisions of those already in the market for the game. It's doubtful that skew will be large enough in the better version's favor to matter to Activision.

Majanew

Banned
No, it is not, that's the point. There is nothing about scaled 900p that makes it sharper than scaled 720p.

It doesn't get 'better' until you have a perfectly divisible ratio.

540p is sharped than either of them, for example, simply because its 4:1.

720p is as close to 540p as 900p is as close to 1080p. They're equally bad choices for scaling to 1080p.

960x1080 would be a better choice, or even 1920x540, although that is more noticeably poor.

I can run the tests on my 55" LCD right now. 1600x900 is sharper than 1280x720. And they're both sharper than 540p.

1600x900 and 1280x720 are both 16:9 and upscale good on my 1920x1080 HDTV.

nictron

General Resolution Question for those who have hooked up their PC to a large TV.

I have a 55" 1080p Panasonic Plasma. I am a pretty hardcore film nerd who notices things like bad transfers and artifacts. 720p video looks like crap to me compared to a good 1080p bluray. Is it a similar kind of difference in clarity for games when resolution (not necessarily frame rate) is concerned? My wife hijacked my older gaming rig for school and I am unable to do a comparison.

Having read at least the first 25 pages, this thread deserves Hall of Fame placement for system shenanigans. I only laugh because of all the talk about "we've been in this generation for so many years, oh god, we have to leave this tech behind" it looks like we won't be leaving so soon?

I won't deny there's some solace for my wallet too and the PC upgrade two years from now if multiplat games will still be designed with 720 in mind.

I have no interest in COD:G, but damn! This thread was moving so fast at first that I couldn't keep up. I've never seen a GAF thread move that fast without breaking the forum.

But the majority of PS2 owners got one after 2001.

(Again,) it was all about appealing exclusive content & features.
As I wrote to you earlier, there are network effects and bandwagon effects in play though due to the earlier release that you're ignoring.

To the same effect, the 360 has not sold better despite price parity with the PS3 in the US, since the Slim, solely due to exclusive content and features. The initial lead built during the year on the market prior was important in establishing a positive network effect.

Neither system has that inherent advantage this time around at least in terms of release date.

frizby

Completely unrelated, but could be a sign of things to come:

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1634063122&pf_rd_i=468642

Best sellers in video gaming on Amazon: Sony commands positions 1, 3 and 13 with PS4 related items, including the launch console at number 1.

XBone Standard sits on its own at 16th.

The consoles are almost entirely based on when they are made available. No PS4 has been on that list for a while.

But the games are another matter, and there's some interesting stuff in there.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I can run the tests on my 55" LCD right now. 1600x900 is sharper than 1280x720. And they're both sharper than 540p.

1600x900 and 1280x720 are both 16:9 and upscale good on my 1920x1080 HDTV.

Indeed. You do not need perfect ratios to notice improvements. This argument has been made and debunked to death all along this generation with sub 720p resolutions.

And this thread is certainly one of many that will go nuts as the generation starts and gets going. There will be rumors and comparisons and dismissals and denials and lots and lots of crow to eat.

Completely unrelated, but could be a sign of things to come:

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1634063122&pf_rd_i=468642

Best sellers in video gaming on Amazon: Sony commands positions 1, 3 and 13 with PS4 related items, including the launch console at number 1.

XBone Standard sits on its own at 16th.

Not only that, but what's up with Amazon's release date for the Xbone? Dec. 31st? Why is there a placeholder date there? The PS4 release date is correct.

MIlky1985

Banned
I fail to see how the resolution difference between versions affects the decisions of those already in the market for the game. It's doubtful that skew will be large enough in the better version's favor to matter to Activision.

Well for a start why upgrade to a xbox one if you mates already have an xbox 360 version and the resolution difference isn't that much?If your going to be spending 430 quid then you need a good reason to upgrade for something that you can already play on your current machines.

Lets be honest, that Ben Kuchura is half right about the average consumer not caring. they are the ones swayed by flashy lights and the marketing campaign. However you cannot say it won't have any effect as it will have an effect on the enthusiast. Lets face it most cod players go where there friends are going, there tends to be "leaders" amongst friend groups, said leaders are probably the most hardcore and enthusiasts so will know and want to switch.... and the others will follow.

Lots of people do act like sheep, but if you can change the direction of the lead sheep the rest will follow.

Truant

I don't even understand the point of spending billions on a new console if it can't even run a Call of Duty game in 1080p.

It boggles my mind.

It would be a blast if it ended up being the other way around after all this.
X1box one 1080p, ps4 720p.
The internet would explode.

Never said all of them, and I still think that you can't find a better forum for gaming. Just fascinated by how much thought and care can be given to the differences in pixels when we live in a time were we have an almost unlimited amount of entertainment.

"Hardcore" gaming forums have always spent time on technical details, mainly at the start of a new generation.

StuBurns

Banned
General Resolution Question for those who have hooked up their PC to a large TV.

I have a 55" 1080p Panasonic Plasma. I am a pretty hardcore film nerd who notices things like bad transfers and artifacts. 720p video looks like crap to me compared to a good 1080p bluray. Is it a similar kind of difference in clarity for games when resolution (not necessarily frame rate) is concerned? My wife hijacked my older gaming rig for school and I am unable to do a comparison.
Video game resolution is actually a little worse in that regard. At least, when comparing a 1080p bluray versus a hypothetical 720p video stream with comparative video bitrate for it's resolution.

Life doesn't have jaggies, basically.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm thinking the PS4 version might not be 1080p either. IW's real talent walked out the door a few years ago and Activision doesn't want to put real money into development time or talent, look at that Walking Dead game they made, and really, what has Activision made that has been truly noteworthy in the last few years?

Do you mean native 1080p? Because also in this thread was brought up the IGN video from Monday of them demoing call of duty:Ghosts on PS4 running at 1080p.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/22/call-of-duty-ghosts-squads-mode-wargame-gameplay

So that added with this thread add's more fuel for the Gaf Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom