• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

NeOak

When are the restrictions on signing up? I know carrier insurance is usually limited to 14-30 days.
Just that the phone works by running their Samsung+ app AFAIK.

I've been using Samsung Pay and Samsung Shop, so it was registered as working as soon as I signed up.

Azerare

Btw if you own s8; Free case, 64gb sdcard, 6 months netflix, and akg headphones.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...free-stand-case-sd-card-and-netflix-gift-card

netflix-sd-card-headphones-case-press-image.jpg

While the main site says to purchases between may 3 - 16th or w/e, apparently samsung stated it will work for existing customers.

Do i just register my S8+ in the app tomorrow to claim the promotion? I just want to get in on that deal haha.

Crayons

Banned
So I just purchased the S8 today. We only had Arctic Silver, so I ended up getting Arctic Silver. I really, really wanted Orchid Grey so it's a bit of a disappointment in that regard but the phone itself is not at all a disappointment. I love it! The AMOLED screen gives me life.

What's so funny?

Btw if you own s8; Free case, 64gb sdcard, 6 months netflix, and akg headphones.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...free-stand-case-sd-card-and-netflix-gift-card

netflix-sd-card-headphones-case-press-image.jpg

While the main site says to purchases between may 3 - 16th or w/e, apparently samsung stated it will work for existing customers.

Fucking awesome. Since I just spent $800 on a new cell phone, I'm glad I'm getting a little something back.

We sell cases at my job. But I hate their designs, and I went online to shop for S8 cases instead. I couldn't decide what case to get so I got all of these. I'll swap out the cases depending on how I coordinate the rest of my clothes in a given day. What do you guys think?

NeOak

Aw man, I left the box with the charger at work. So I can't play with my new toy until tomorrow :(

If you have a wireless charger, you can charge it too.

QC 2.0 chargers work too.

Regular phone chargers with USB-C cables work too. Even an adapter if you have it.

Radec

65% battery now from 100% with 1h54m SOT. mobile data and full brightness while using chrome.

Not sure if its good or just average.

Crayons

Banned
If you have a wireless charger, you can charge it too.

QC 2.0 chargers work too.

Regular phone chargers with USB-C cables work too. Even an adapter if you have it.

It's my first phone with USB-C, no way to charge it until tomorrow. But that's okay, I love my new phone. And when the cases get here on Saturday, I'll be both stylish and high tech

jm89

What are your settings? I'm sitting here with 16% and 4 hours 19 minutes of screen on time. Brightness is about 60% and I'm set to 2960x1440 resolution.

I'm also pretty darn happy with this performance already as it's taken me from 5 am to 9 pm basically. Just curious if there is something else I can/should do.

I've set my resolution to fhd, always on is turned off and brightness is set to auto.

I think my issue with the idle drain is to do with an app from my mobile network,the app uses my 4g connection even if i have wifi turned on. If i send the app to the background it seems samsung does nothing to stop the app continue using my 4g connection so the app is somewhat active in background, so my phone basically has both the wifi and 4g active sucking battery.

sun-drop

My gf's maple gold S8 just arrived today...it's freaking gorgeous in person, maybe nicer than my black one. Really really nice

For what's its worth if you're looking for ways to help save battery I have Tasker and got some basic automated tasks.

One turns off the WiFi after it disconnects from my home for a few minutes. The other turns off Bluetooth after it disconnects after a few minutes (and I only turn it on for android auto which it does automatically anyways).

Coupled with action launcher 3 which seems to be fairly good with battery management, keeping screen on around 50-55% except for YouTube videos, and the battery is doing fairly good with heavy browsing throughout a whole day and listening to music.

reKon

Banned
For what's its worth if you're looking for ways to help save battery I have Tasker and got some basic automated tasks.

One turns off the WiFi after it disconnects from my home for a few minutes. The other turns off Bluetooth after it disconnects after a few minutes (and I only turn it on for android auto which it does automatically anyways).

Coupled with action launcher 3 which seems to be fairly good with battery management, keeping screen on around 50-55% except for YouTube videos, and the battery is doing fairly good with heavy browsing throughout a whole day and listening to music.

Turn off location history and turn off network background usage if you only need to be connected to the internet when you turn on your screen. I think the phone will still periodically check for notifications, but at a lower rate.

Jeffrey

Here is something interesting. S8 might be the first phone to support twitch in landscape mode with comments on the right side due to the screen.

Any other stuff y'all found that the s8 screen ratio adds that other phones can't do?

In other promotion related news, my gear vr shipped and I have a fedex tracking number for it. Apparently should arrive tomorrow.

I still haven't gotten any info, but my status says it has been approved. I see that it now says the $99 package is sold out. I hope/assume I'm still good for it since it has said I was approved for forever now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I registered and after submitting the form it said "your gift has already been redeemed through Samsung.com as part of purchase"

Was I seeing the wrong promotion since last night then? It hasn't changed.
I dunno. The terms said that enrollment would start at 10 am est today. Not sure why it isn't up.
Edit: here's where I read that at in the terms:

A valid “Offer Claim Form” must be submitted (as set
forth in Section 3) between May 5, 2017 at 10:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET) and June 30, 2017
at 11:59:59 PM ET, or while Gift supplies remain available, whichever occurs first
(“Redemption Period”). Limited quantity of Gifts (defined below in Section 4) are available as
set forth in Section 4 below

Crayons

Banned
So you guys using any custom themes, icon packs, or always on displays?

I was browsing the Samsung Themes app and I was wondering if you guys had an recommendations. I'm all about that phone customization lyfe

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I dunno. The terms said that enrollment would start at 10 am est today. Not sure why it isn't up.
It's up for me, but maybe that's because I purchased the phone direct from Samsung. When I open the app, go to the sidebar, and go to My Promotions, it's there with the Register Now button (the VR bundle is there too). It just doesn't work.

Also, someone on the Android Central post that was linked earlier says they successfully registered and got a follow up email saying they purchased before the valid date. So I don't think it's gonna work for day one people.

Greenymac

No way this will work for existing customers.

I just went to Samsung Shop and looked under "my promotions" and the new clear view case promotion was there under the Gear VR promotion. I just registered for it the same way so I did for the Gear VR.

Edit: just received email saying I didn't purchase
within the specified time period. Dammit!

So the S8/S8+ does have a FM tuner inside. About to download the Next Radio app to try it out. Keeps me from having to use iHeartRadio sometimes when I want to listen to local stations every now and then.

I just went to Samsung Shop and looked under "my promotions" and the new clear view case promotion was there under the Gear VR promotion. I just registered for it the same way so I did for the Gear VR.

Edit: just received email saying I didn't purchase
within the specified time period. Dammit!

That sucks. I'm tempted to return and purchase again since I'm still in the 14 day window. The 35 dollar restocking fee is worth it.

Crayons

Banned
I see the register now option available in the app. It's just asking for proof purchase. I don't have the receipt but luckily I work at the store I purchased the phone at so I can just print out a new receipt.

I bought the S8 yesterday. I'll let you guys know if it works.

Gonna pick this up later today possibly. Anyone know if there is any difference between the carrier ATT S8 and the ATT one from samsung direct? both have bloatware? Would hate to throw down the cash on the ATT variant only to have been able to get the unlocked version from samsung.

Greenymac

That sucks. I'm tempted to return and purchase again since I'm still in the 14 day window. The 35 dollar restocking fee is worth it.

You're definitely right, the case alone looks to be a $60 case standalone. I preordered so got the Gear VR promotion, but was still hoping I could get in on this, too.

Top Bottom