• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Using a case with this phone is absolutely criminal.

Preach. I'd rather smash it to bits one day than defile it each and every day starting now until the end of it's life.

Too slippery.

I don't make enough money to carelessly wield a $850 phone around that feels like a bar of soap, especially when summer is coming and I get sweaty hands.
Then don't be careless with it. And buy some gold bond.

Are you guys running a disabler on the phone? I remember that I had to use on the note 7 to make it bearable. Don't feel (at the moment) the need to use it here. Wonder if there's a massive difference by using one.

Izayoi

Banned
Using a case with this phone is absolutely criminal.
It's like a wet bar of soap without a case, in my experience.

Get the Spigen clear case. It is grippy and doesn't hide the beauty of the phone.

There was someone just a few pages ago who had to send his in already because he thought he could swing it without a case. Don't be that guy.

Strakt

Got this case today; diggin it, love the design on the back:

r6H7BzU.jpg

5BVmwoF.jpg

mf0qgOu.jpg

lt1evNC.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's like a wet bar of soap without a case, in my experience.

Get the Spigen clear case. It is grippy and doesn't hide the beauty of the phone.

There was someone just a few pages ago who had to send his in already because he thought he could swing it without a case. Don't be that guy.
Actually I'm pretty sure at least two people in this thread have cracked their screens already. 😐

NeOak

Gonna pick this up later today possibly. Anyone know if there is any difference between the carrier ATT S8 and the ATT one from samsung direct? both have bloatware? Would hate to throw down the cash on the ATT variant only to have been able to get the unlocked version from samsung.
Both are the same. There are no unlocked versions of the SD835 one around AFAIK.

Source: original s8+ from AT&T, replacement from Samsung. Same stuff.

Jeffrey

Are you guys running a disabler on the phone? I remember that I had to use on the note 7 to make it bearable. Don't feel (at the moment) the need to use it here. Wonder if there's a massive difference by using one.

I've tried package disabler pro. Not noticing any notable performance difference.

Might as well keep everything on just in case disabling stuff hurts stability.

Adam Blue

So the Android site was wrong about the dating- it's only for new purchases.

What was the case they were offering?

That is disappointing - I was too late for the original promotion, but too early for this. I'm used to getting things with my Galaxy purchases every year. Oh well. But I guess I was caught up in the full benefits Samsung offers.

kirblar

That is disappointing - I was too late for the original promotion, but too early for this. I'm used to getting things with my Galaxy purchases every year. Oh well. But I guess I was caught up in the full benefits Samsung offers.
Yeah, it's $50 Costco cash vs the Samsung Pacakage, so not a huge deal. I'm not sure if I'd actually use that case, I like having an open screen.

Vlaphor

I have a few games that I feel should run on this (S8+ Sprint), but crash right away. The main one is Grim Fandango. I got that from a Humble Mobile Bundle, and for some reason, my phone keeps forgetting that I've told it to allow unknown sources. I don't know if this is linked with the game crashing right away or not, but that seems like an issue also.

I have managed to get Grim Fandango running before, but it ran terribly with choppy audio and graphics. I've had other games I've gotten from non-Play Store not run as well, such as Jetpack Joyride. Is there something wrong here, or do these games just not run well on this phone?

StoneFox

Just ordered an S8 to replace my current S4. Does anyone know a good case that you can customize with your own decal? I used a CaseMate for my current phone and never had a problem but the S8 seems much more fragile that I don't know if a $10 case is enough. And otterboxes are too ugly to me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Apart from stylus support, what else would the Bote 8 definitely have?
Definitely? No way to know. But the rumors are a slightly larger display, dual lens camera, and fingerprint scanner on the screen.

Guys sorry this is somewhat off-topic. I'm selling my pre-S8 phone but kinda nervous about my ID getting stolen.

Any way to wipe all data and content on an android phone clean without recoverable traces?

Izayoi

Banned
Some guy at work today awkwardly broke the silence in the elevator... "Is that an S8?! I have one on order right now!" :lol

Guys sorry this is somewhat off-topic. I'm selling my pre-S8 phone but kinda nervous about my ID getting stolen.

Any way to wipe all data and content on an android phone clean without recoverable traces?
Just do a factory reset.

How many of you guys have S8 vs. S8+? Is one more popular over the other?
I had always fantasized about a Note, so I bought the S8+ (as did my wife).

vatstep

REMOVE YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT FROM THE PHONE BEFORE DOING THE FACTORY RESET

Otherwise, your phone will require you to log back in with your Google account for security purposes AFTER the reset. I learned about this the hard way...

You're guaranteed UFS 2.1 in the S8+ at least according to that earlier link I read. But I don't think it will affect real world performance. I'd say go for the S8+ because of the battery.

I have the S8. The plus is more popular though. I like the smaller form factor and I'm not going to drop all that extra money for a phone that's less practical to me, that has only a fractional increase in battery life.

I'd buy one the size of the S6 edge of They made one. The S8 is smaller than the S7 edge though, which is nice for me.

Crayons

Banned
Okay, so I submitted the promotion for the free 64GB memory card, 6 months of netflix, and case. It went through! I'm so psyched.

The Llama

I got the S8 instead of the S8+, though only really because I got an IMO good deal on it. That said, coming from a Moto X Pure, the screen is almost exactly the same size (slightly taller but slightly less wide), and I definitely don't regret not getting the larger model. I've heard the S8+ is basically the same size as the iPhone 7+, and to me that is too big (and I say that as a 6'1 guy who has large hands and has had large phones for a long time).

All that said, I don't think you can go wrong with either, and honestly my perfect phone would, I think, be exactly inbetween, with a 6" screen size.

Also, re: battery life, remember the S8+ has a larger screen to power. All the reviews I read said either the S8 had better battery life than the S8+, or they were basically equal. So don't get the S8+ just because you expect better battery life.

Kieli

You're guaranteed UFS 2.1 in the S8+ at least according to that earlier link I read. But I don't think it will affect real world performance. I'd say go for the S8+ because of the battery.

I guess battery life doesn't really matter that much now when battery banks are portable and cheap.

Top Bottom