• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
It's to prevent creepshots of korean girls in the subway
Yeah i understand why. I think japan is the same for their model. Still kinda lame for us non creepers.

Heck even the weird fingerprint sensor isn't too bad once you get used to it in a week.
Agreed. Call me crazy. I actually prefer it back there just because i can slide down my notifications bar much more natutally.

After a year with the s7e... never thought i would say that.

Jeffrey

Yeah i understand why. I think japan is the same for their model. Still kinda lame for us non creepers.

Agreed. Call me crazy. I actually prefer it back there just because i can slide down my notifications bar much more natutally.

After a year with the s7e... never thought i would say that.

Shhh don't tell iphone folks that.

rainy_day

Has anyone found a case yet that comes above the screen around all sides, so it can be placed on its front side down?
I am due for an upgrade but im having second thoughts due to the case. My brothers OtterBox dips down the sides leaving it unpretected.
Any recommendations?

Thanks!

theultimo

I've used package disabler pro to disable a ton of bloatware, freed up a ton of memory. a lot less pausing because memory was full.

I dont use Samsung pay for instance, and it just sits taking memory.

Jeffrey

Has anyone found a case yet that comes above the screen around all sides, so it can be placed on its front side down?
I am due for an upgrade but im having second thoughts due to the case. My brothers OtterBox dips down the sides leaving it unpretected.
Any recommendations?

Thanks!

pretty much all cases have the sides free. most have lips on the top and bottom so you can place face down without issue.

sirap

I have the Neo Hybrid but I read the UAG cases have slimmer sides to bring out the edge display, so I might get one. Choices choices.

Yeah out of all the "rugged" cases I have the UAG ones are the have the slimmest profile and side bezels. Even the Monarch which is slightly thicker than the Plasma/Pathfinder maintains the slim edges.

It's a big reason why I switched from using Spigen exclusively...love their cases but the thick bezels really don't fit this phone.

Kyne

So.. thinking of upgrading my S6 Edge to the S8.

Is this a pretty viable upgrade? I'll prob stick with Samsung for now so is it a good time to jump in, or is there another flagship phone around the corner?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I play the Simpson's Tapped Out and it just got updated to use the full aspect ratio properly. Looks great. Hope more games do the same.

Azerare

Is this a pretty viable upgrade? I'll prob stick with Samsung for now so is it a good time to jump in, or is there another flagship phone around the corner?

I did the same and I love the battery upgrade. It blows the S6 out the water. That and the screen is gorgeous.

Nightz

Did this two days ago. No regrets. The screen is amazing.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I got a pretty big scratch in the middle of the screen too, and I got it from an empty linen pocket. This Gorilla Glass 5 doesn't feel as up to snuff as previous versions. Guess they traded break resistance for drop resistance.

mokeyjoe

Every nav button has a split second delay after a while.

Classic Samsung. $200 phones are snappier lol.

It's stuff like this that steers me away from Samsung. I may be the last person still interested in HTC phones but snappiness might be the most important factor for me. It's a shame with the the power in these phones they can still screw up the basics.

jm89

On that note, was there ever a good consensus on which screen protector is best?

I think the wet applied ones are the best, the yootech screen protectors have pretty good reviews. It is barely noticeable and i don't have single bubble.

Only thing to be weary is the edges may lift if you put on a case , what i did was cut the edges of the screen protector slightly to avoid this happening.

XAL

Last night downloads from play store started to hang at 100% downloaded and don't install out of nowhere.

I have to restart the phone and open and close the play store app a few times for it to install the download, then it hangs on the next update download in the same manner.

Sometimes apps don't open/When I click on a notification from my notifications it takes make back to home screen and proceeds to not open an app.

Really pissed off right now.

No malware, cleared all app's caches, don't know what to do now.

So I've just ordered an S8. I've been an iphone user for about 6 years. Just got the 7 plus, finding it too big and the head phone jack issue is a bigger pain in the arse than i imagined. My phone is essentially a spotify machine and carrying that adaptor around with me all the time isn't going to work as i know i'm going to loose it. I'll need at least 3.

The biggest thing i'm going to miss is iMessage.

So has anyone else mad the switch from apple. How have you found it, whats been the biggest difference?

anyone know of any deals for buying a S8+? My friend missed the Best Buy deal with the free $60 case, memory card, headphones and 6months of Netflix and now she's salty. She has an existing line and wants to pay the phone outright. Anyone?

sam777

Can any android expert help me with the following.

On my S8 I got a text message from my bank that required a Y/N answer however when I go to send the reply the message always fails and apparantly it is because it is a premium number. So after reading up, I read that in the settings there is a option in message services to "allow" premium messages but on my s8 this option is not there.

Can anyone help me fix this please?

Arttemis

Every nav button has a split second delay after a while.

Classic Samsung. $200 phones are snappier lol.

My korean s8+ cant get rid of the camera sound function unless its rooted.

Lame.

As much as I miss Samsung Pay and all their awesome deals/specials, I think I'll wait for the Pixel 2 simply because of Samsung's UI. Everything is perfectly smooth and responsive on the stock, bloat-free Pixel.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone had a problem with their S8 moving from WiFi to mobile data? For example I will leave my house and then when out of range from the Wifi the phone picks up mobile data signal but can't actually use it. I have to turn on airplane mode then off to get the mobile data working.

Jeffrey

As much as I miss Samsung Pay and all their awesome deals/specials, I think I'll wait for the Pixel 2 simply because of Samsung's UI. Everything is perfectly smooth and responsive on the stock, bloat-free Pixel.

there are cheaper options too for stock android!

always felt like nexus was perfect price. I enjoyed my pixel, but definitely felt overpriced for what you get.

phinious

As a warning to anyone else with an unlocked s8, gear vr does not work with unlocked phones. Allegedly owners of the unlocked s7 have the same problem and it has never been fixed.

sam777

As a warning to anyone else with an unlocked s8, gear vr does not work with unlocked phones. Allegedly owners of the unlocked s7 have the same problem and it has never been fixed.

My s8 is unlocked and the gear vr works. In the UK if that makes any difference.

Could someone help me out? For some reason my phone is not accepting my pattern (I'm sure I'm drawing it correctly though). After a restart it's needed, and if I don't put the right one it will reset the phone. Is there anything I can do?

Could someone help me out? For some reason my phone is not accepting my pattern (I'm sure I'm drawing it correctly though). After a restart it's needed, and if I don't put the right one it will reset the phone. Is there anything I can do?

I think there is an option to unlock your phone online through your Samsung account. I had to do this with my S6 once or twice.

Top Bottom