• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Treo360

More fragile is one thing but a minute fall shouldn't crack the screen. Had it falled on concrete or a rough surface sure, but that was not the case. People have been reporting dropping their phones on carpet and the screen breaking, that is simply unacceptable.

I've dropped my phone twice in the car park from about lower chest height, and twice from about shoulder height onto a carpeted gym floor as I was instructing on the indoor cycling bike, and all the times I held my breath expecting a cracked screen. So far so good, I've got no scratches as it's in a spigen hybrid case and glass screen overlay. I will say that the overlay was cracked after the second car park fall, which was fine as it did it's job.

tbm24

I never put anything in my pocket but the phone. Obviously, if you have 2 work phones, that probably isn't going to work.
For sure, and I blamed myself for the first one, I corrected that after with just my phone, and it became even more scratched. It just perplexed me seeing co-workers with the S7 edge no screen protector have clean screens. I'm dealing with it and I'm partially over it as ill be upgrading from this phone in a year's time anyway, just went against what k was reading about this iteration of gorilla Glass.

yQPpJTg.jpg

After two months of waiting, it has arrived.

Really just wanted the SD card for my Switch. Hell of a deal.

Xeno_V

Does anyone know what's the best price I can get for the S8 for shipping to Europe?
That's the best I have found so far on Amazon.it (579 EUR).

Can also someone confirm that this is the international version and that it is unbranded etc?

dankir

Been using my S8+ with the Samsung S view cover the last few days. This phone is godlike and the cover is a big jump to the S view I had for my Note 3.

Laekon

Jumped on the unlocked S8 trade in deal. Going to send in a Nexus 5 that I couldn't give away. This will be my first non-Nexus phone since I went from the iPhone 4 to the Galaxy Nexus.

Does Google Now still exist/work on this phone?

NeOak

Been using my S8+ with the Samsung S view cover the last few days. This phone is godlike and the cover is a big jump to the S view I had for my Note 3.

The cover is awesome, but I had to switch to an Otterbox Defender. I really need the beltclip

Wads

Banned
Why did you buy it then?

Frankly, there aren't that many options anymore, it was on sale, and I also didn't notice the distortion. I also was in urgent need of a new phone since mine broke.

I like the phone, but I haven't liked the edge concept since Samsung came out with it. I wish they continued making 2 versions.

SKINNER!

Banned
Would love an S View but I'm left-handed and know from previous cases that it'll just annoy me whenever I handle it. Got myself a decent gear4 clear case anyway. Love this phone! no regrets whatsoever. Even that OnePlus5 review (my backup phone in case I couldn't get an S8) didn't even give me any feeling of regret.

Frankly, there aren't that many options anymore, it was on sale, and I also didn't notice the distortion. I also was in urgent need of a new phone since mine broke.

I like the phone, but I haven't liked the edge concept since Samsung came out with it. I wish they continued making 2 versions.

wut, so you barely looked at the phone or even tested it out and bought one out of being in a rush? dont blame samsung, clearly your fault for buying something you dont like. come on now.

THERE are plennnttty of other phones that are on sale. i dont believe any of your excuses. return it if you have a return policy.

Wads

Banned
Lol, so I'm not allowed to dislike something about the phone I got?

I'm not asking for your approval and I don't give a **** if you believe me. I was asking if there were ways to minimize the edge - that's it.

NeOak

I'm not asking for your approval and I don't give a **** if you believe me. I was asking if there were ways to minimize the edge - that's it.
Only way to minimize the edge is getting a different phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My freebies came today. Wifey texted a package came for me at the casa.

Gonna use my case with my S8+ and SD card is going into the Switch.

Pepiope

The edge is the whole selling point of the phone.

You dislike the one aspect that separates this phone from other flagships. You just bought the wrong phone :(.

umm.... dude ... LOL

Only way to minimize the edge is getting a different phone.

The edge is the whole selling point of the phone.

You dislike the one aspect that separates this phone from other flagships. You just bought the wrong phone :(.

^all this and a bag of jalapeno chips.

BraXzy

My neo-hybrid case is too bulky, it ruins the beauty and sleekness of this phone for me... I've had to order a the slim case.

My neo-hybrid case is too bulky, it ruins the beauty and sleekness of this phone for me... I've had to order a the slim case.

i took my phone out of my care yesterday to do some cleaning and i cant put it back in a case anymore. (well until i go to work) i just love how it fits and looks! Why cant it have a force field so if it drops it wont break haha

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty happy with my Spigen thin fit. After a year or so I'll probably brave going without a case. The Samsung slim case is really nice for a slim profile, but it is still pretty slippery,

I also returned it as it was too bulky. Got the rugged armor, which is slimmer but offers more protection than the slim case. Yeah it's a shame to have it in a case but this thing is too damn slippery and just looks so fragile. And I feel like the Samsung slim case is even more slippery.

Zen Aku

Are any of you guys using a plastic screen protector? I need a recommendation for my incoming S8+. Especially one that is case friendly.

BraXzy

I also returned it as it was too bulky. Got the rugged armor, which is slimmer but offers more protection than the slim case. Yeah it's a shame to have it in a case but this thing is too damn slippery and just looks so fragile. And I feel like the Samsung slim case is even more slippery.

Rugged Armour would've been my first choice if it wasn't for the carbon fibre, not a fan of it. Fingers crossed the slim fit is good.

It's a shame the phone itself is slippy/fingerprint magnety otherwise I would go caseless.

Zen Aku

Using an Armorsuit screen cover. Works fine with everything.
I ended up going with IQ Shield. Since it comes with two screen protectors. I can give one to my dad. I have an Armorsuit on my mom S7 Edge and I it's been working great.

Is IQ Shield a good brand?

Radec

I've been using my phone on a case 90% of the time and the feeling of the phone naked is the best. But I'm a careless fuck and drop my phone all the time. I'm scared of cracking the screen. :/

sun-drop

https://youtu.be/LVDrbSDGnZ8

Good video, gets what bixby voice is meant to be....say compared to the verge who strjght up start asking it what is questions... honestly I don't know how some of these people get hired..

Actually that's harsh, their video is pretty fair too. Interested to see how this thing fits in.

BraXzy

So the thin fit case arrived today... I absolutely hate the material of it. It's horrible! Sticky and cheap feeling. What a shame. I'm going to try the liquid air one next, it has a textured back.

Side note: I'm absolutely sick of "reviews" on YouTube... Regardless of what the product is, it's never anything more than a breakdown of marketing points.

How does it feel in the hand? How thick is it? Does it seem sturdy? How tight is the fit?

So the thin fit case arrived today... I absolutely hate the material of it. It's horrible! Sticky and cheap feeling. What a shame. I'm going to try the liquid air one next, it has a textured back.

Side note: I'm absolutely sick of "reviews" on YouTube... Regardless of what the product is, it's never anything more than a breakdown of marketing points.

How does it feel in the hand? How thick is it? Does it seem sturdy? How tight is the fit?
Watch more Flossy Carter

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

What brand did you get?

Sanjuro

I don't want Flossy's complete breakdown, that is why I like his videos. He just goes through the bulk and MAYBE points out a couple that he would roll with.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
His was one of the videos in question, he covered all of them which is good, but 90% of it is a quick show of each one pointing out stuff I can see in images on Amazon. Nice to see which ones can wireless charge though.

All Spigen's. I'm in the UK and the choice is a bit limited it feels like.

Wierd, I love my Spigen thin fit. I don't find it sticky and the quality is nice.

BraXzy

I don't want Flossy's complete breakdown, that is why I like his videos. He just goes through the bulk and MAYBE points out a couple that he would roll with.

It's great for an overview but I was looking for something more in-depth.

Wierd, I love my Spigen thin fit. I don't find it sticky and the quality is nice.

I wanted to like it, because damn if it isn't nice and sleek on the phone. It just really doesn't feel good for me. I'll report back on how the liquid air one is :L

Top Bottom