• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

All of you guys and your scratched screens talk made me dream that my phone screen had a nasty large scratch on the bottom right of my screen haha.

Loving the phone, but now I'm wondering if I should've bought the regular size everytime I pick up my old S4. Then I remember that the larger screen is actually really nice to have when using things like twitch or youtube. Heck, even typing is easier. 👍

SgtCobra

Probably lttp but man that new firmware update totally ruined the navigation bar, it's not transparent anymore and it now covers up a certain portion of the screen. The other option is to swipe up to let the navigation bar appear but that kinda ruins the "snappyness" of it. First world problems and all that and I get that this is supposed to prevent burn in but damn, always count on Samsung to screw things up,especially something as basic as this.
At least give us a choice to have it like it was before the update...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I pulled the trigger, despite my hate towards Samsung because of their bloatware and performance issue over time.

I just couldn't pass up this deal and Pixel 2 is months away

YHCmdKk.png

Please for love of god. Do not disappoint me

I am in Canada, but my friend from state will bring it for me.

Quixzlizx

So I pulled the trigger, despite my hate towards Samsung because of their bloatware and performance issue over time.

http://i.imgur.com/YHCmdKk.png

I also jumped on this deal. Does anyone know how strict Samsung is with the trade-in phone's condition? I have a Nexus 4 that works and has a screen in good condition, but the back panel is starting to separate from the chassis on one side. Is that going to be rejected?

No Love

Banned
Probably lttp but man that new firmware update totally ruined the navigation bar, it's not transparent anymore and it now covers up a certain portion of the screen. The other option is to swipe up to let the navigation bar appear but that kinda ruins the "snappyness" of it. First world problems and all that and I get that this is supposed to prevent burn in but damn, always count on Samsung to screw things up,especially something as basic as this.
At least give us a choice to have it like it was before the update...

Yeah and now Immersive Mode doesn't expand as far. Fucking Samsung. Wish I had never installed the update.

netBuff

Yeah, hate the fact the navigation bar is always brightly colored now. Doesn't look good with dark apps like Spotify. Hope they revert this change!

deeelYfh.png

x-Lundz-x

Just got a S8+ Yesterday, what a beautiful phone. Still getting back into Android after being gone for 4 years. Can anyone quickly tell me how I can setup more detailed notifications on the lock screen? I only get icons and I would like more detailed notifications.

In the lock screen settings I do not have "Hide Content" on so not sure what the deal is.

Yeah, hate the fact the navigation bar is always brightly colored now. Doesn't look good with dark apps like Spotify. Hope they revert this change!

deeelYfh.png

i believe you can change this to be black or a different shade of white-black if memory serves me correctly.

edit:

yeah go into Navigation Bar settings and you can choose from 7 different options. the 7th is to choose your own custom color.

Knight77

i believe you can change this to be black or a different shade of white-black if memory serves me correctly.

edit:

yeah go into Navigation Bar settings and you can choose from 7 different options. the 7th is to choose your own custom color.

Nope...7th is like cream color and you can't choose your own custom color - it's a pity

Addnan

Like a lot of people...Picking a damn case is hard. Phone arrives tomorrow. I had the Spiegen Neohybrid on my HTC 10, did not like it.

VanWinkle

Just got a S8+ Yesterday, what a beautiful phone. Still getting back into Android after being gone for 4 years. Can anyone quickly tell me how I can setup more detailed notifications on the lock screen? I only get icons and I would like more detailed notifications.

In the lock screen settings I do not have "Hide Content" on so not sure what the deal is.

Are you sure you only have icons on the lock screen, or are they on the Always On Display? Because I can't think of why they wouldn't show up on the lock screen. Keep in mind that if you unlock with fingerprint it will bypass the lock screen.

Sanjuro

Like a lot of people...Picking a damn case is hard. Phone arrives tomorrow. I had the Spiegen Neohybrid on my HTC 10, did not like it.

I check Slickdeals often and try and stock up on cheap cases.

Do you like thin, aesthetically pleasing, transparent, heavy duty bulk?

YHCmdKk.png

If you use package disabler pro or something like that you can disable most/all of the bloatware pretty easily

Addnan

I check Slickdeals often and try and stock up on cheap cases.

Do you like thin, aesthetically pleasing, transparent, heavy duty bulk?

I don't mind a some bulk because I've become a bit clumsy lately, look nice would be useful but rather have something that feels nice in my hand. If it can save it from a 1m or so fall then that would be ideal. Don't need one built like a tank either though, want something that will save it in small falls, not just table scratches.

Addnan

Ooh my phone arrived. How exciting. Got the orchid grey, pretty nice, would have preferred the silver, but no stock until next week. Nice of EE to throw in a 64GB memory card, was not expecting that.

I've been thinking about the trade-in deal, but the fine print mentions the phone must hold a charge, and with my Nexus 6p randomly dying anywhere from 10%-30%, I'm unsure if it qualifies.

NeOak

I've been thinking about the trade-in deal, but the fine print mentions the phone must hold a charge, and with my Nexus 6p randomly dying anywhere from 10%-30%, I'm unsure if it qualifies.

Charge it to 100% and if it turns on and charges the battery, it should be enough.

Turning off at 10-30% is something else.

Laekon

I ordered an unlocked S8 through the trade in deal on the 20th and was shown it would ship in a few days. Pending charges showed up on my card that day as well. Now it just says backordered and I haven't received another email from Samsung. No idea when it will ship.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Guys is it worth putting on a screen protector? I ordered a nice slim case but cant find a good screen prptector or tempered glass

I ordered an unlocked S8 through the trade in deal on the 20th and was shown it would ship in a few days. Pending charges showed up on my card that day as well. Now it just says backordered and I haven't received another email from Samsung. No idea when it will ship.

Same. It says backordered. But yesterday I did get confirmation email that my order is confirmed. No shipping email yet.

Sanjuro

I don't mind a some bulk because I've become a bit clumsy lately, look nice would be useful but rather have something that feels nice in my hand. If it can save it from a 1m or so fall then that would be ideal. Don't need one built like a tank either though, want something that will save it in small falls, not just table scratches.

People seem to really enjoy the UAG cases for this device. Not my thing, but I hear they are really nice in the hand.

sirap

People seem to really enjoy the UAG cases for this device. Not my thing, but I hear they are really nice in the hand.

I have Monarch and Plasma UAG cases. They feel really good in the hand, the added thickness helps with grip and the grooves at the back gives your fingers a place to rest when you're holding it in one hand.

I also like that they kept the side bezels thin. I'd rock Spigen's offering but the thickness of their rubber bumpers are insane.

sun-drop

Nova works just fine for me with the new s8 hide nav bar feature..

Btw why are sites going on and on and about Google now cards? From the side swipe? ..I've had the cards for ages via a single tap on the home button.

Regginator

phantom gouge appeared on my fucking screen kill me oh my god I have been so fucking careful too

What does phantom gouge mean? Google search doesn't come with relevant hits.

I'm about to get an S8 (coming from an S5), but I'm not completely sure yet whether to go for an S8 or S7 Edge.

Treo360

What does phantom gouge mean? Google search doesn't come with relevant hits.

I'm about to get an S8 (coming from an S5), but I'm not completely sure yet whether to go for an S8 or S7 Edge.

owner claims that a scratch magically appeared on his/ her screen despite being very careful with the phone.

I love the camera. I upgraded from a Note 3 because Sprint was offering the s8+ for half off.

I do need some advice my phone got wet with salt water on Wed and the USB port states it's still wet which is impossible. I think the corrosion might have damaged the sensor. I was able to charge it on Thursday and since then nothing. Any advice on what I can do. I avoid the phone insurance since I am prrtty lucky. Should I go to Sprint and see if they can fix it or just go directly to Samsung?

Thank God for wireless charging I bought the charging stand and atleast that works. I don't mind paying to fix the phone but if it can't be fixed I'll just keep using the wireless charger and maybe get the car version of it as well.

spekkeh

Banned
The new Gorilla Glass is so bad. So many scratches already. Only one that's a bit visible when the screen is on but still. Previous Galaxies fared much better.

Pepiope

Honestly have not had a single scratch on the phone in the 2+ months I've had it. Treat this phone the same way I treat my Galaxy s6.

SgtCobra

0 scratches here without a screen protector, have the phone since launch.

Anyone know a nice app to customize your OS with?

Any addition to this phone (protector/cover/case) feels like it removes the sexy factor from it. I get a little sad when i need to put my case on after holding it naked for a few hours. I LOVE the feeling of this new glass - so smooth.

spekkeh

Banned
Do you guys use a case? Cause I'm full nekkid. Have been on all my phones. This is the first one that gets all these hair scratches right away from just traveling in my pocket. I even have one deep scratch from an empty linen pocket for chrissake.

It's not a huge problem, but when GG says they traded fall resistance for crash resistance I believe them.

damn straight I got a protector. You think I'm gonna risk an expensive phone without one?
Come on why did you think it was valid for you to answer then.

NeOak

I went without a screen protector until somehow the S View case grabbed something and made a tiny scratch where that circle goes on the screen.

Put a wet install Armorsuit screen protector.

Do you guys use a case? Cause I'm full nekkid. Have been on all my phones. This is the first one that gets all these hair scratches right away from just traveling in my pocket. I even have one deep scratch from an empty linen pocket for chrissake.

It's not a huge problem, but when GG says they traded fall resistance for crash resistance I believe them.

Come on why did you think it was valid for you to answer then.

That is impossible if there was nothing in your pocket. you need to get your detective skills on and trace your steps to find out what you did with your phone to cause a DEEP Scratch... stop blaming it on an empty pocket lol

Top Bottom