• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Elitist1945

So why is Samsung Pay not compatible with my S8+ lol. Just updated the software, can't find the app anywhere, and when I go to the store link it's not compatible with my phone.

Just got the s8, love it.

Is the plus notably bigger? Feeling an urge to trade up (I have 2 weeks to do so) if possible. For reference my previous phone was a LG G5 and I find the iPhone plus sizes far too big.

If I were inclined to but a screen protector on this beauty, what do people recommend? How damage resistant is the screen? Currently got the thinner spingen case on it.

Also, how does one keep this smudge free lol.

Love it so far.

kirblar

It's definitely a noticeably difference, but it's personal preference. I have big hands and spindly fingers and prefer a bigger phone for grip.

Is the plus notably bigger? Feeling an urge to trade up (I have 2 weeks to do so) if possible. For reference my previous phone was a LG G5 and I find the iPhone plus sizes far too big.

If I were inclined to but a screen protector on this beauty, what do people recommend? How damage resistant is the screen? Currently got the thinner spingen case on it.

Love it so far.

The Samsung s8+ is a phone that doesn't feel big at all and I had the iPhone 7 plus before then.

Cheers for the replies. Will probably head into town and have a hold on the 8plus and see how I feel.

Will also most likely be looking to screen protector this thing as small scratches drive me mad.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I called Samsung today, dude said you should get it by end of this week

I don't have much hope though.

Im torn between the S8+ and waiting for the Note 8. Ive not have a note before and quite like the idea of the pen, would i be missing much if I went with the S8+?

NeOak

Im torn between the S8+ and waiting for the Note 8. Ive not have a note before and quite like the idea of the pen, would i be missing much if I went with the S8+?
Note 8 will have a slightly smaller battery, and just 0.1" more in screen size.

Maybe the dual cameras, but that depends on how much you take pictures.

Quixzlizx

Love it so far.

For another opinion, I currently have a generic 5.2" screen Chinese phone, and the s8+ barely feels bigger in hand than that one. It's the same width, barely heavier, and taller by the length of the s8+'s top bezel.

I was actually so surprised I originally thought they had shipped me an s8 by mistake.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Edit: nevermind, it's back to normal. It seems like edge lighting notifications got messed up somehow and I had to toggle it off/on.

I got the navbar update on TMobile yesterday and it seems to have changed the way text notifications work. Before, when the screen was off and I received a text, just a little bubble at the top of the screen would light up. Now the entire screen turns on. I've never used AOD before or after. Does anyone know how to change back?

FrsDvl

I cracked my screen pretty bad, so I'm going to send mine in to get fixed. To avoid this from happening again, what case or protector should I get? I currently have the Spigen thin fit, which is great. But I guess it's no good, not even for small bumps.

antispin

I'd definitely wait if I were in your shoes. Dual cameras, S-pen, plus latest rumors say that the N8 won't have a dedicated Bixby button. At worst, you'd see a price drop for the S8+ by then.

I'd definitely wait if I were in your shoes. Dual cameras, S-pen, plus latest rumors say that the N8 won't have a dedicated Bixby button. At worst, you'd see a price drop for the S8+ by then.

Ah cool, ive seen they are looking to reveal in August, im going to hold off wait and see. Thank you.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cross post!

My wife wants to move out of iOS and into Android. She sold her MBA and returned her Apple Watch so she's pretty much done with Apple as an ecosystem. She doesn't play games, so it's not an issue for her. She just wants the best camera on a phone that she can possibly get. She also doesn't want it to be as big as my 6S+.

Is the S8 for her? I'm thinking of just buying it outright and selling her 6S to offset the cost. The waterproofing on the S8 has her interested (a coworker of hers has the phone and talks about how great that feature is), and it also needs to have a headphone jack (so no Pixel 2 when that comes out).

Purexed

Banned
Edit: nevermind, it's back to normal. It seems like edge lighting notifications got messed up somehow and I had to toggle it off/on.

I got the navbar update on TMobile yesterday and it seems to have changed the way text notifications work. Before, when the screen was off and I received a text, just a little bubble at the top of the screen would light up. Now the entire screen turns on. I've never used AOD before or after. Does anyone know how to change back?

Scroll town and turn on Edge lighting. I think that'll fix the behaivor you're describing.

kirblar

Cross post!

My wife wants to move out of iOS and into Android. She sold her MBA and returned her Apple Watch so she's pretty much done with Apple as an ecosystem. She doesn't play games, so it's not an issue for her. She just wants the best camera on a phone that she can possibly get. She also doesn't want it to be as big as my 6S+.

Is the S8 for her? I'm thinking of just buying it outright and selling her 6S to offset the cost. The waterproofing on the S8 has her interested (a coworker of hers has the phone and talks about how great that feature is), and it also needs to have a headphone jack (so no Pixel 2 when that comes out).
I want to say the LG G6 is a better camera based off comparisons I saw but I'm not 100% on it. (I love the S8+)

VanWinkle

Cross post!

It would be a great phone for her! Got mine around launch day and I still ADORE the thing.

killroy87

Hey guys!

Couple quick questions about the S8. I'm looking at the possibility of getting one, I'd be coming over from a Pixel. I like the Pixel a lot, but I'm pretty in love with the S8's form factor, and rumors of the Pixel 2 hording all the good new features for the XL is turning me off. I'm a small phone guy, and the few times I've held an S8 it just feels incredible in the hand. Plus I'm having a bluetooth problem with my Pixel that Google is being a real pain in the ass about fixing, and that's annoying the hell out of me.

But! I'm still relatively new to Android (Pixel was my first non-Apple phone), so I'm curious how many, if any, of the features I love about the Pixel are exclusive to that phone.

One of the main features I love about the Pixel is the unlimited backing up of full resolution photos to my Google account. When I take a picture, it goes into my Photos app (which is the same as my Google account photos), and next time I'm on wifi it automatically backs them up, so I should never run out of space for photos or fear of losing them. Am I correct in that this feature is exclusive to the Pixel? What's the best method for backing up photos on the Galaxy?

Does anyone know of any other features I might be giving up by deviating from Google's own phone?

Thanks for the info, guys!

Madness

S8+ here. What's the consensus for the best screen protector?

I have ordered 4. Samsung doesn't have their hybrid plastic but hard like glass official protectors here like the UK. But I have found I like the Armor Suit military shield back and side protection coupled with the Skinomi wet front screen protector. I use 3 official cases, Alcantara which cost me like $78 bucks but is like suede, the official silicone one, and the clear protective cover which feels almost nude and complements the design.

If you are worried abouy minimalist with a lot of protection, get the official clear protective cover, and wet protectors. No glass one I have seen yet does not have adhesive or lifting issues.

kris.

Banned
Miiiight be picking up one of these tomorrow, specifically the plus. Kinda nervous as I've always been super wary of Samsung phones for some reason but damn damn damn these look nice.

killroy87

I have another quick question. I heard Samsung was super slow with pushing updates to unlocked phones with the S7.

If I buy an S8 unlocked, and throw in my SIM card, will I get updates when my carrier pushes them out? Or do I still only get them when Samsun does, because I didn't technically buy the phone from my carrier?

rc213

So I finally got 1 of 2 phones from the Tmo S8 Plus BoGo but I can't use it until who knows when. Their Activation Page where I'm supposed to register the phone for the rebate is busted. Can't click the SELECT CARRIER PLAN button and their support basically said sit on your ass until Monday and hope we have something to help you with then.

Quixzlizx

I have another quick question. I heard Samsung was super slow with pushing updates to unlocked phones with the S7.

If I buy an S8 unlocked, and throw in my SIM card, will I get updates when my carrier pushes them out? Or do I still only get them when Samsun does, because I didn't technically buy the phone from my carrier?

You'll have to wait for Samsung to push the update. The carrier update will have all of the carrier bloatware included.

JonnyKong

Hi everybody,

For some odd reason I can't fathom, out of the blue today my S8 no longer shows any notifications on the "always on" screen. I'm still getting the clock and battery.

I have no idea how to fix it.

VoxPop

Got 2 GS8's off the Samsung site with a B1G1 with trade in deal. Trading in my girls old 6S in mint condition. Hearing a lot of bad things about their past trade in deal where they fucked a lot of people. Hopefully that's not the case here.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I have already waited 22 days, but now the wait is killing me lol

I have been using garbage S4 for a month now

rc213

Such a beautiful phone the I will one day be able to actually use. Probably not before the second phone actually ships. So maybe a month after I ordered I might be able to register and activate the Orchid Grey S8 Plus I'm holding right now.

P.S. I hate Samsung with all my heart now.

I have no idea what to do regarding this phone, Samsung's customer service is beyond awful.

I bought the S8+ for the trade in deal, they mailed me an S8 within 2 days (bought on the first day of the trade in.) I called, was told it was user error, and they would not send me the S8+ and was stuck. As nice as the phone is, I refuse to pay for the wrong phone. I got 100 dollars off, and another 300 for trading in a Galaxy Note 5, but I could probably sell that somehow for about the same value elsewhere.

I have been waiting for a return label (they don't do printable labels for some reason) since June 22 when I received the phone and immediately called Samsung. Whenever I call I am told "it'll arrive in up to 5-7 business days," and any further questions are brushed off. As the trade in was not done as a rebate, they told me that I would be charged 300 dollars for not sending them the trade in phone on July 6, but they have not done this yet.

I was told just now: "our returns department is behind, it'll be 5 to 7 business days," a "dunno why" regarding the delayed 300 dollar charge, and was hung up on when I asked to talk to a higher up. Should I be preparing to dispute charges? I've never had an issue this bad with a gigantic company like Samsung.

Treo360

I have no idea what to do regarding this phone, Samsung's customer service is beyond awful.

I bought the S8+ for the trade in deal, they mailed me an S8 within 2 days (bought on the first day of the trade in.) I called, was told it was user error, and they would not send me the S8+ and was stuck. As nice as the phone is, I refuse to pay for the wrong phone. I got 100 dollars off, and another 300 for trading in a Galaxy Note 5, but I could probably sell that somehow for about the same value elsewhere.

I have been waiting for a return label (they don't do printable labels for some reason) since June 22 when I received the phone and immediately called Samsung. Whenever I call I am told "it'll arrive in up to 5-7 business days," and any further questions are brushed off. As the trade in was not done as a rebate, they told me that I would be charged 300 dollars for not sending them the trade in phone on July 6, but they have not done this yet.

I was told just now: "our returns department is behind, it'll be 5 to 7 business days," a "dunno why" regarding the delayed 300 dollar charge, and was hung up on when I asked to talk to a higher up. Should I be preparing to dispute charges? I've never had an issue this bad with a gigantic company like Samsung.

Damn, that sucks. While I didn't have that problem with CS, I did have it with Samsung proper. I bought the phone on launch through them, a tmo variant. Shortly after activating my plus, and paying for two months of service, I requested an unlock as I had met the requirements, tmo refused citing that the phone was not a tmo unit, Samsung refused, saying that they couldn't as tmo had the power to do it. Thankfully I had bought the phone through PayPal. I disputed the charges as neither company was willing to unlock my unsubsidized unit. 3 weeks later I received a full refund and was able to keep the phone.

So yes, it's possible to beat Samsung.

Xeno_V

Just got an S8 and I am wondering what's Neogaf's general consensus on:

1. Cases on the light side.I need something slim that won't ruin the phone's aesthetics.
2. Official Samsung Cases. Is any one of them worth it because of their extra "features", e.g. the led view cover or the clear view stand cover?
3. Launchers. Should I stick with the stock one or do most people prefer other launchers?

I am coming from almost 4 years of stock android (Nexus line) so I am debating whether I should give Samsung's OS choices a chance, or if I should just return to the more minimal approach that I am already accustomed to.

so people who are using it since day 1, how is the lag? has it aged well?

Yes, I've reset once in May when I got OTA update but been using it since, works the same.

However, I had a one feet drop with my Spigen Rugged Armor case on it, I don't use a screen protector, have a one line crack on the screen from the left to right. I haven't asked about how much it would cost to get it fixed because the crack is barely visible when I mostly have a dark theme on it. Phone is still working flawless.

Just keep in mind though, even with a case on, the phone is very fragile, a minor bump could crack the screen. I'll post a picture when I can.

Edit: Here.

35633540530_0842c92af5_z.jpg
35183444304_b3170df019_z.jpg

35183444664_f9457ed343_z.jpg

35183444854_49619822e0_c.jpg
35633541240_73b32aa9b5_c.jpg

Just got an S8 and I am wondering what's Neogaf's general consensus on:

1. Cases on the light side.I need something slim that won't ruin the phone's aesthetics.
2. Official Samsung Cases. Is any one of them worth it because of their extra "features", e.g. the led view cover or the clear view stand cover?
3. Launchers. Should I stick with the stock one or do most people prefer other launchers?

I am coming from almost 4 years of stock android (Nexus line) so I am debating whether I should give Samsung's OS choices a chance, or if I should just return to the more minimal approach that I am already accustomed to.

I'm using the Spigen Rugged Armor case on it, very easy to snap on, looks good, isn't too thick and pretty light. I have the midnight black color, goes well with it with a carbon fiver finish on the top and the bottom at the back.

As for the launchers, use the stock one for a week just to get the hang of it, then go to Nova, I think that's the best launcher in the Android Eco System right now(third party).

iuuk

Does anyone know how (or if) I can change auto replace options for the Samsung stock keyboard? I know how to turn it off, but I would prefer for it to work like Google's stock keyboard where backspace reverts the auto replace. Right now I don't know how to do that, which makes it impossible to type words it doesn't recognize (unless I select the word I'm typing before I catch it autocorrecting things, or turn it off entirely).

If not, what are the best samsung like keyboards? I very much prefer this one over google's keyboard because of the seperate keys and haptic feedback (which I can't seem to get on googles stock keyboard unless I turn it on for app buttons as well, and I really don't like that)

Top Bottom