• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Do you guys use a case? Cause I'm full nekkid. Have been on all my phones. This is the first one that gets all these hair scratches right away from just traveling in my pocket. I even have one deep scratch from an empty linen pocket for chrissake.

I've had my S8+ with a naked screen since launch day and I work outside and I haven't scratched it once. I'm very doubtful that a linen pocket will scratch that screen.

JackDT

People say the S8 Gorilla glass is maybe more crack resistant but less scratch resistant, but I haven't used a screen protector in years and hate them.

I do use a basic thin case, Spigen Thin Fit, although it's small enough I wouldn't mind a *slightly* bigger one just to make it easier to hold and less easy to accidentally swipe the sides.

Madness

I use the official Samsung Alcantara S8+ dark gray case which feels amazing. Like suede. And I use Skinomi wet application case friendly protector for the screen. The screen will scratch no matter what if you don't have some kind of protector. It is inevitable.

If you feel you don't like cases, look at the official clear protective case. It gives you nice edge and even some drop protection and yet looks like nothing is on there. But I love the Alcantara case.

JackDT

I use the official Samsung Alcantara S8+ dark gray case which feels amazing. Like suede. And I use Skinomi wet application case friendly protector for the screen. The screen will scratch no matter what if you don't have some kind of protector. It is inevitable.

Is this something particularly bad about the S8 scratching? My last two phones were a HTC and an Nexus, I never put a protector on and never took any care with the screen -- kept it with my keys all day every day, etc. No scratches.

Laekon

Just got mine in the mail, what's a good sms and twitter app? I don't mind paying. This is my first android.

Just got mine as well. The Samsung txt app seems pretty good. I was using Google Messenger before on my 5X and all the messages transferred over easily. I heard the Samsung browser is better then Chrome for battery and ram. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Google Now launcher as I use the swipe to Now all the time. Not sure if anyone has tried and likes Bixby for the same purpose.

Ghazi

Just got mine as well. The Samsung txt app seems pretty good. I was using Google Messenger before on my 5X and all the messages transferred over easily. I heard the Samsung browser is better then Chrome for battery and ram. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Google Now launcher as I use the swipe to Now all the time. Not sure if anyone has tried and likes Bixby for the same purpose.

Hmm, I haven't even touched Samsung messenger and browser. Guess I'll have to run them for a bit.

Anyone have any experience with water damage in the port?

I had my phone at the beach. It got drops of water on it, but it was never dropped or submerged in water. Now it won't charge and keeps giving me the "moisture detected in port" message.

I'm trying the rice trick but it hasn't fixed the issue yet.

I thought this phone was supposed to be waterproof but apparently it can't even merely be around moisture. Wtf.

Borman

Anyone have any experience with water damage in the port?

I had my phone at the beach. It got drops of water on it, but it was never dropped or submerged in water. Now it won't charge and keeps giving me the "moisture detected in port" message.

I'm trying the rice trick but it hasn't fixed the issue yet.

I thought this phone was supposed to be waterproof but apparently it can't even merely be around moisture. Wtf.

Some people recommended cleaning the port with some alcohol.

My S8 plus dropped pretty hard two times and that is without any protection. I do have a front protector but I am glad the back survived. I already spent a huge amount on it so it would be a shame to lose the phone within a week.

Treo360

Hmm, I haven't even touched Samsung messenger and browser. Guess I'll have to run them for a bit.
Samsung Messages is shit for me, at times takes a minute to send a text, whereas Android messenger takes 4-7 seconds tops to send one. The browser is ace though.

Leeroy605

Had to do a factory reset on my S8+ last night first time since I bought it on release.

Not sure if it was something I installed (I keep my phones in pretty good shape, only install what I need etc) but the lag was atrocious, even when using Nova. Apps kept freezing, keyboard slow to open, a real pig to use.

Its back up to speed since the reset of course, just hope it was something I installed and not the dreaded delayed Samsung lag!

Had to do a factory reset on my S8+ last night first time since I bought it on release.

Not sure if it was something I installed (I keep my phones in pretty good shape, only install what I need etc) but the lag was atrocious, even when using Nova. Apps kept freezing, keyboard slow to open, a real pig to use.

Its back up to speed since the reset of course, just hope it was something I installed and not the dreaded delayed Samsung lag!
I'm having a bit of a problem with the battery life. Sometimes I get 12 hours and sometimes I get 5 hours with the same usage. I have entertained the idea of factory resetting but to set all my passwords and apps would be a royal pain in the ass.

Leeroy605

I'm having a bit of a problem with the battery life. Sometimes I get 12 hours and sometimes I get 5 hours with the same usage. I have entertained the idea of factory resetting but to set all my passwords and apps would be a royal pain in the ass.

Yeah my battery life had gone down significantly as well, seems to be back to normal after the reset.

It is a pain in the ass but I'd recommend it, took me about 40 mins to rest and get everything installed/logged back into.

There's a feature called Google smart lock which recognised some of my apps and auto logged into them which was very handy but it didn't do it for most of them and have no idea how to add new apps to it!

My S8 plus dropped pretty hard two times and that is without any protection. I do have a front protector but I am glad the back survived. I already spent a huge amount on it so it would be a shame to lose the phone within a week.
Dude if you've had it a week and have dropped it twice... it's your own fault if you don't get a case.

^ Do you guys use a screen protector?

No protector and no scratches here either. Knock on wood.

Any addition to this phone (protector/cover/case) feels like it removes the sexy factor from it. I get a little sad when i need to put my case on after holding it naked for a few hours. I LOVE the feeling of this new glass - so smooth.

Can't stress this enough. The glass is so smooth. Like silk. Anyone know how this screen is so smooth? The Swype function on Gboard is a must with this screen.

I want Google now as well but the launcher hasn't been updated for a while now. Does Nova launcher have a default Google Now option now or do you have to hold the home button to get it to work?

Bixby is such a waste.

dankir

So is there some issue with external SD Cards and the S8+ I bought a new Sandisk 128 GB, formatted and encrypted it. Transferred all the music to the card and the songs were playing fine directly off my phone.

Connected my phone to my car via Android Auto and all of a sudden I couldn't play any of the music (which was all stored in a folder called music on the card) after even trying to play music on my phone I would get "failed to play track" . Even after disconnecting my phone It wouldn't play any music directly from S8+

Also prior to getting the SD card I didn't have any issues streaming music that was found on the S8+ internal storage via Android Auto or bluetooth.

Any idea's whats going on?

Just ordered the S8+ as got for a good price. Are people using the default Samsung apps for browsing the web and messaging or using third party ones?

Dazzla

I'm using chrome, android messages and gboard.

I also use bxActions to launch Google now from the bixby button.

AOD makes a fairly significant difference to battery life, probably around 10% or so.

Ghazi

I'm using chrome, android messages and gboard.

I also use bxActions to launch Google now from the bixby button.

AOD makes a fairly significant difference to battery life, probably around 10% or so.

That's a shame, really like having it just display the time. Guess I'll have to turn that off.

Dazzla

That's a shame, really like having it just display the time. Guess I'll have to turn that off.
It's worth having it on and seeing how it fits into your usage. I was ending the day on around 10% with it on which was too close for comfort.

You can set it to turn off when in pockets, but for me if it wasn't being used then it was on a display stand on my desk, so it was always on.

pswii60

It's not an issue. In the dark it turns it right down, so it doesn't really use any power when it's in your pocket for example. I couldn't live without the AOD now, not just for time but notifications too. No longer do I have to keep waking up my phone to see if I have notifications like I did with my iPhone.

Still have 40%+ of battery life left after a long day with plenty of varied usage.
Just ordered the S8+ as got for a good price. Are people using the default Samsung apps for browsing the web and messaging or using third party ones?
The Samsung browser is super fast and reliable. But I use the official Gmail app for email as it's slick, not had any need to try the Samsung one for that.

Esqueleto

Banned
They just had to get rid of the black nav bar.

So is the waterproof/resistance on this phone half baked?

Haven't really gotten a chance to test it out but I wash my phone almost daily and the only issue i see is that it turns on the screen sometimes but that's probably from the water pressure triggering the home button.
They really need to add a way to disable it for those who don't use it. The Bixby button too.

So is the waterproof/resistance on this phone half baked?

Not at all. I tried the feature in a water park the day after I bought it and it worked like a charm. Also tried it on a pool and recorded a good 5 minutes of underwater videos. It works ok, the thing is that after you submerge the phone underwater you have to wait some time (half an hour minimum) because the speaker sounds a bit muffled.

sun-drop

can't get over how liquid smooth and snappy this thing is running since i got the hide nav buttons update .. it's so responsive.

i'm running nova launcher btw .. and without the google now home slide in (i get to google now via a home button tap when on the main/home window - is standard nova gesture feature)

Sanjuro

Does anyone else use anything other than Nova? Not complaining, but curious if any of the other launchers still can cut the mustard.

Icon pack? Other custom recommendations?

netBuff

Does anyone else use anything other than Nova? Not complaining, but curious if any of the other launchers still can cut the mustard.

Icon pack? Other custom recommendations?

Action Launcher is pretty great if you're after an easy way to achieve the "Pixel" look: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionlauncher.playstore

And the free Pixel Icon Pack includes a huge amount of Pixel-style icons, useful combination: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.themezilla.pixelui

rc213

Still waiting for mine to ship. Its been almost 18 days. wtf samsung

Same here 22 days, Bro ordered 23rd thinking he would have it by 13th to take on his vacation. Damn Samsung!

Might I suggest bugging the hell out of their phone support. You won't get any useful information on when your order will actually ship but I just received a $50 code to use at their store for my trouble.

Top Bottom