• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

I think there is an option to unlock your phone online through your Samsung account. I had to do this with my S6 once or twice.
I tried that, but since it was after a restart, the phone wasn't connected to the internet, so it didn't work (which seems very stupid to me, but whatever). I ended up just resetting it as I didn't find any solutions around. Not using a pattern again though.

Fuck. I have AOD off, FHD+...dammit

well samsung gave everyone who bought an s8 free premium coverage for some period of time. look into it. or talk to your carrier and see what options you have available. there will always be a bad batch of phones, regardless how high they rate in reviews.

well samsung gave everyone who bought an s8 free premium coverage for some period of time. look into it. or talk to your carrier and see what options you have available. there will always be a bad batch of phones, regardless how high they rate in reviews.

Do you think it has anything to do with cell reception? I'm in SF which is notorious for crowded towers on T Mobile. That might explain the inconsistency. I'll try and check what my options are. 1 hr 2 mins SOT at 63% is not right.

Do you think it has anything to do with cell reception? I'm in SF which is notorious for crowded towers on T Mobile. That might explain the inconsistency. I'll try and check what my options are. 1 hr 2 mins SOT at 63% is not right.

Yeah something is def draining and I'm also on TMobile in Denver and I'm swimming. Try have a rep look at it in store maybe? I assume you have the insurance?

Anyone ever get the sound bug where audio/sound from youtube, spotify etc cuts off after 2 seconds. This is really annoying, happened to me for the first time, after looking on the internet it seems happen to a lot of people.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Does the UHD drain battery too much? I just got the phone... awesome so far, but the battery dropped a bit too fast for my liking. First charge though

Elitist1945

Going to the S8+ from my Nexus 6P. I'm afraid I'll miss stock Android too much haha. Is rooting still a thing these days? Is putting stock Android on this considered a bad idea?

Afrikan

Coming from the S4, it seems like the LTE Plus on my S8+ download speed is much slower for some reason.

I'm in San Francisco.

I have updated my profile, prl, updated phone to latest software.

My area is all LTE Plus.

And the S4 used 4G LTE.

Anyone else experience this?

RenditMan

Banned
Anyone ever get the sound bug where audio/sound from youtube, spotify etc cuts off after 2 seconds. This is really annoying, happened to me for the first time, after looking on the internet it seems happen to a lot of people.

I did an I found a fix, can't remember what it was and where I found it now. Think it was xda.

Is Device Idle supposed to be a large chunk of battery? It's 14% right now, tied with Android OS, in the battery life Dept and it just feels like I'm getting shitty battery lately. Dunno what's going on.

Going to the S8+ from my Nexus 6P. I'm afraid I'll miss stock Android too much haha. Is rooting still a thing these days? Is putting stock Android on this considered a bad idea?

You won't miss Stock Android that much. Samsungs Skin is MUCH better and lighter nowadays and if you use a Material Theme you feel right at home. And you CAN'T put stock Android on the S8.

But you can use all Google Apps (Dialer, Contacts, Messages,...).

And the battery life... It's soooooo much better than on the 6P.

I went from Nexus 5x (and mostly Nexus device before it) to S8 and this is my first Samsung device after the S1 and let me tell you I don't miss stock android at all.

The new Touchwiz is amazing, has a lot of similarities with stock while incorporating things that I wish Stock android would have.

- you open the app drawer similar to the pixel by swiping up or down on the screen (works anywhere). Or add the classic app drawer icon back again (yay choice)
- re arranging apps is so good on Touchwiz, you can select multiple apps, and when you drag one, it drags all the selected apps with it, much easier to put multiple apps into a folder at once for example
- hide apps
- great power saving features, you can even change your screen resolution
- the recent apps and back buttons are on the wrong sides if you come from anything than a Samsung device but you can switch them so they are in the position you are used to from the Nexus line

I tought I'll add the google launcher immediately when getting the device, but I still use the Stock launcher.

The only thing thats missing is the Swipe to Google Now because it goes to Bixby but I just added a Now shortcut on my screen.

sam777

Can any android expert help me with the following.

On my S8 I got a text message from my bank that required a Y/N answer however when I go to send the reply the message always fails and apparantly it is because it is a premium number. So after reading up, I read that in the settings there is a option in message services to "allow" premium messages but on my s8 this option is not there.

Can anyone help me fix this please?

Hasney

Can any android expert help me with the following.

On my S8 I got a text message from my bank that required a Y/N answer however when I go to send the reply the message always fails and apparantly it is because it is a premium number. So after reading up, I read that in the settings there is a option in message services to "allow" premium messages but on my s8 this option is not there.

Can anyone help me fix this please?

It should pop up when you go to send it to say "Do you want to send this, it will cost money". Are you doing it from the app and not from the quick reply from notifications?

I don't use the Samsung SMS app though, I use stock Androids and that's how it works there. You can try downloading that and see if it works there.

Bumhead

Banned
Got my S8 yesterday.

It's the first Android phone I've ever used and only the second none-iPhone device I've owned in 10 years.

Overall I'm impressed. The hardware is really nice and it took me about 5 minutes to feel my way around the OS, which was nowhere near as jarring as what I expected. Also, props to the data transfer system at start up, which transferred just about everything from my iPhone to the S8 in about 6-7 minutes. Crazy good.

I've already installed and been toying around with Nova Launcher. Is there anything in particular I could or should know or be doing from here?

spekkeh

Banned
I love how due to the longer aspect ratio this is now finally a totally viable way to browse GAF during E3

LJgxwy1_d.webp

Knight77

Me and my wife we got a good offer by an operator and decided to jump on S8 (not +) boat, coming respectively from a N6P and a Nextbit Robin.

I expected Samsung bloatware but...not so much. About this I think there are two alternatives:

- Using Package Disable or BK Package application
- Rooting and installing a stock/clean ROM (which one?)

What's your suggestion?

Thank you !

Just got a notification for an update on the AT&T variant but I won't be on wifi until tonight. Hopefully it has the June Security updates.

dankir

Just got my S8+ yesterday, quite the upgrade from my Galaxy Note 3.

Have a question, I guess I'm screwed at this point but I had an SD card in my note 3 that was encrypted and I didn't decrypt before I reset my phone. Which in hindsight I didn't have to do. These are company phones but it looks like I'm keeping my old phone in the meantime. So the card is basically 2 years worth of photos and music.

The music I'm not worried about as I can re download most of the albums but its all the photos :(

In any case I've tried a bunch of things. I have the encrypted files stored on my back up drive. Downloaded a few recovery softwares and apparently the files were restored but can't open any images. The file names are correct and sizes. But just blank images when I try to open on my laptop or I get corrupted images when I try again on my Note 3 or S8+.

I've formatted the SD card, copied the encrypted files back onto, opened my note 3, decrypted the card and that didn't work either.

You guys have any software or anything that might help me recover these images?

Socivol

The S8 has the shittiest screen of a phone I've ever had. I'm so pissed I sat in a chair and the phone slide out of my pocket and cracked the screen. I had a case on the phone too. I have dropped my Note 5 a million times on concrete and nothing but the first time this one fell the screen broke. I just got it two weeks ago and I'm pissed.

Samsung is running a promo where you trade in a smartphone (and other conditions) and get $200 off (depending on the phone, or max $350 for an S7 edge) the S8 or S8+

Is it worth upgrading from an S7 edge to an 8 or 8+? Wouldn't necessarily trade in my S7e.

Any good apps or ways to see what exactly is killing my battery? The last few weeks seems like it's draining pretty fast when just sitting there idling.

The S8 has the shittiest screen of a phone I've ever had. I'm so pissed I sat in a chair and the phone slide out of my pocket and cracked the screen. I had a case on the phone too. I have dropped my Note 5 a million times on concrete and nothing but the first time this one fell the screen broke. I just got it two weeks ago and I'm pissed.

All drops are definitely the same. Also, it's good to compare a dual-edged screen to a flat one surrounded by metal.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Samsung is running a promo where you trade in a smartphone (and other conditions) and get $200 off (depending on the phone, or max $350 for an S7 edge) the S8 or S8+

Is it worth upgrading from an S7 edge to an 8 or 8+? Wouldn't necessarily trade in my S7e.

Check swappa

You might get more 3rd party trading selling than direct through Samsung.

As it is I'd probably pass. S8 is better, but not rush out and spend your money to upgrade better.

P

Podge293

I jumped from iPhone to the s8. Really enjoying it so far

Except I cracked my fucking screen. First time ever doing it to a phone. Raging as it's less than a month old

sam777

It should pop up when you go to send it to say "Do you want to send this, it will cost money". Are you doing it from the app and not from the quick reply from notifications?

I don't use the Samsung SMS app though, I use stock Androids and that's how it works there. You can try downloading that and see if it works there.

That message doesn't appear on Samsung;s messaging app, I guess I will just have to download a different messaging app.

For people scared of cracking their phones due to exposed screen edge.

Get a Caseology Parallax case.

Seriousy.

The sides are made in a certain way that actually makes the edges less (barely) exposed and kind of makes a direct hit on the edge of the screen impossible.

If you look side-on, the sides of the case are almost in line with the height of the flat part of the screen. It makes edge panel activation a little more difficult, but having busted an S7E more than once, I'll take it.

While I love my UAG plasma case and UAG cases in general, theyre quite light on side protection coverage.

tbm24

I've had my S8+ since launch day, recently made the mistake of purchasing the wrong size screen protector to replace the one I had one that came apart with my case. I didn't realize until I removed the old protector. While I ordered a new one for the right size, I figured the glass can't get scratched so freely if I'm careful. 3 days of it in my pocket along with my work iPhone 7, and only just my work iPhone 7 for one day, a long scratch almost from top to bottom. At work I see people freely with their S7 edge without a protector and scratch free yet mine scratched so easily in just 3 days(more smaller ones popped up with it just in my pocket with nothing else). Still can't figure out what happened or why. With the screen on you can't tell unless there's glare which is nice I guess, but extremely disappointed.

I've had my S8+ since launch day, recently made the mistake of purchasing the wrong size screen protector to replace the one I had one that came apart with my case. I didn't realize until I removed the old protector. While I ordered a new one for the right size, I figured the glass can't get scratched so freely if I'm careful. 3 days of it in my pocket along with my work iPhone 7, and only just my work iPhone 7 for one day, a long scratch almost from top to bottom. At work I see people freely with their S7 edge without a protector and scratch free yet mine scratched so easily in just 3 days(more smaller ones popped up with it just in my pocket with nothing else). Still can't figure out what happened or why. With the screen on you can't tell unless there's glare which is nice I guess, but extremely disappointed.

I never put anything in my pocket but the phone. Obviously, if you have 2 work phones, that probably isn't going to work.

The Gear VR doesn't allow any case at all while the S8 is inserted, right?

Anyone have a recommendation for a grip case that is easily removable? I generally use UAG monarch, but I'd rather not damage the S8 by removing it repeatedly.

Rockman

I got the plus version of the phone last month and switched to T-Mobile. Love the damn thing but something bad happened today. Slipped out of my hand and the screen cracked. I have the T-Mobile insurance but I guess I'll wait until it becomes much worse before filing a claim. Gorilla glass my ass. This thing is stupid fragile. I had a Spigen armor case on it.

Socivol

All drops are definitely the same. Also, it's good to compare a dual-edged screen to a flat one surrounded by metal.
Regardless it still had a case on it. If they can't make durable edge screen phone's they don't need to do it. I've never broken a screen on my phone and reading online it seems that a lot of people are having the same issue.

Regardless it still had a case on it. If they can't make durable edge screen phone's they don't need to do it. I've never broken a screen on my phone and reading online it seems that a lot of people are having the same issue.

I hear you. It sucks. However, I feel like it's common sense that the screen is naturally gonna be more fragile.

Socivol

I hear you. It sucks. However, I feel like it's common sense that the screen is naturally gonna be more fragile.
More fragile is one thing but a minute fall shouldn't crack the screen. Had it falled on concrete or a rough surface sure, but that was not the case. People have been reporting dropping their phones on carpet and the screen breaking, that is simply unacceptable.

More fragile is one thing but a minute fall shouldn't crack the screen. Had it falled on concrete or a rough surface sure, but that was not the case. People have been reporting dropping their phones on carpet and the screen breaking, that is simply unacceptable.

Yeah, and then you'll see a bunch of people saying it's been dropped from 100 feet a thousand times and nothing.

Hope it doesn't happen to mine. I feel for ya. It sucks.

Wads

Banned
Is there anyway to make it so the screen doesn't span onto the edge of the screen? I hate the distortion from thge edge.

Top Bottom