• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satellite Reign |OT| A rival Syndicate emerges

wetwired

I haven't played Dragonfall, but I feel the same way. It looks INCREDIBLE, plays really well, but so far it just seems to be a big open world with a bunch of loosely connected missions. I haven't played much so I'm not sure, only a couple of hours, but the characters & story seem pretty much non-existent, and I find it hard to be motivated for a SP game without a good story.

Still, knowing it's developed by a Brisbane studio, I'm happy I purchased it at launch to support them. I'm going to keep playing through and see if it clicks. I absolutely love the art style & graphics so I want to see more of this gorgeous city.

There's a story there but due to our limited budget it's all told via the mission logs and emails found on terminals. There's some limited VO work but not a lot. We'd have loved to do more but couldn't justify the expense when it could have went on the game content and creation itself.

This isn't confirmation by any means but one of the first things we'll be looking into after the initial post release bug fixing frenzy is Co-Op. We have every intention of doing it but without spending a few weeks looking into it we won't know if it's viable or even possible given our world size.

ThatGuy

Commandos were games where you could very well end up using the quickload button almost as much as you'd right click.

Good memories, tho. Lotsa fun levels. Shame Pyro decided to go all "fuk alla dat" and became a mobile dev. Always thought that they'd go on ahead to become what Paradox ended up being.

Pyro is working on a new commando according to EU funding / grant list which was released over a year ago. See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=898523 but unfortunately only for Mobile / Tablet at the time. Hopefully they expanded it into a digital title for PC / consoles as well.

Guy.brush

There's a story there but due to our limited budget it's all told via the mission logs and emails found on terminals. There's some limited VO work but not a lot. We'd have loved to do more but couldn't justify the expense when it could have went on the game content and creation itself.

This isn't confirmation by any means but one of the first things we'll be looking into after the initial post release bug fixing frenzy is Co-Op. We have every intention of doing it but without spending a few weeks looking into it we won't know if it's viable or even possible given our world size.

Online Co-Op?
If so I'm in, always on the lookout for new co-op experiences with my buddy.

Carcetti

Really interesting game but the difficulty feels brutal. Did the mission to get permits to go for industrial region but while trying to go there got shredded by turrets and soldiers. Should've gotten my money back from the forger. Also the Dracogen armory was pretty nervewracking.

Corpekata

Banned
It's pretty hard for the first district. I only started feeling comfortable in direct engagements once I found the light body armor prototype.

wetwired

Really interesting game but the difficulty feels brutal. Did the mission to get permits to go for industrial region but while trying to go there got shredded by turrets and soldiers. Should've gotten my money back from the forger. Also the Dracogen armory was pretty nervewracking.

Did you do the 2 stages of getting the permits? or did you wander outside of the path in the checkpoint?

I figured it out I think. I thought the mission was to get 3 of the yellow terminals since a lot of the prep missions have you accessing those but it's probably just 3 of the red lock terminals.

Couldnt you have just hit World View near the door and followed the lines? If it's the door i am thinking about, they were all pretty close to the door, one at ground level beside it and two to the left of it.

Corpekata

Banned
Couldnt you have just hit World View near the door and followed the lines? If it's the door i am thinking about, they were all pretty close to the door, one at ground level beside it and two to the left of it.

I wasn't in the area, I was scanning the entire complex for yellow monitors because had just done a bunch of missions regarding them (and one of the ones in the general complex was part of a different mission). I was trying to find the 3rd one so I could plan out my route.

But yes, it's just the red terminals.

Carcetti

Did you do the 2 stages of getting the permits? or did you wander outside of the path in the checkpoint?

Probably the latter. Did the whole forger chain before and I was probably too used to 'skulking suspiciously around corners' mode instead of just walking in.

Moff

I just saw this on steam and impulse bought it, syndicate was by far my favourite game molyneux designed. hope I'll like this!

Thinking of buying this, but I still don't have a feel for how varied the tactics are. My GOTY this year so far is Invisible Inc. (which I've got about 100 hours in), and what I love about that game is the sheer variety of character / program combos, and the crazy tactics that come along with it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Thinking of buying this, but I still don't have a feel for how varied the tactics are. My GOTY this year so far is Invisible Inc. (which I've got about 100 hours in), and what I love about that game is the sheer variety of character / program combos, and the crazy tactics that come along with it.

I mean you could always buy it and Steam Refund if you don't like it.

wetwired

Tactics are as varied as you can come up with. I've seen people hijack civilians and sneak them into a base and take out all the cameras and distract the guards while they take their main agents in the back door.

One guy apparently hijacked an enemy soldier from a patrol and wandered him in the front gate of a 3rd enemies compound, started and absolute shit fight between the two factions, waited til it was all over and just walked in the front door over the bodies.

Moff

only played the tutorial so far but I already love the different ways you can solve things, reminds me a bit of deus ex. I think I will have a lot of fun with this.
I feel a bit overwhelmed but that is usually a very good sign.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
One guy apparently hijacked an enemy soldier from a patrol and wandered him in the front gate of a 3rd enemies compound, started and absolute shit fight between the two factions, waited til it was all over and just walked in the front door over the bodies.

Interesting, I had no idea that there were different factions. I thought everything was Dracogenics.

wetwired

Interesting, I had no idea that there were different factions. I thought everything was Dracogenics.

There's 3

Dracogenics

(White Armour or Blue) who runs Wyvern, Armouries\Police Stations and the entertainment quarter in the CBD, these are the guys who you'll see the most, especially in downtown as they're essentially the police

Eternals
The religious faction who believe in immortality through upgrading and improving their bodies through cybernetics and augmentations. They're the purple ones to be found mostly in the Grid (their district) but they also control the CSA (CCTV) Facilities throughout the city

UzyKorp
Russian manufacturing corporation, big on mechs and heavy weaponry, mostly red (their commanders are yellow) and haunt the Industrial District, they'll also be in the Ronin facilities throughout the city.

There is a 4th faction that didn't meet the stretch goal for during the Kickstarter, the disconnected, these are the punks, unaugmented humans who believe in the mortality of life and the purity of the human form as it is. They were to be featured in the Slums district which didn't make it unfortunately.

Corpekata

Banned
Each faction, FWIW also has different sort of combat focus. Like when you get into the grid if you buy the info the game lets you know the Eternals favor shields over armor, which means lasers are more effective against them than guns (and suddenly makes the assload of laser prototypes in Downtown finally worth researching).

Hey this game is actually really good! Since there is a "old-school" way of not holding your hand all the way.. You actually feel becomming better at the game. At first infiltrating a base felt almost impossible but after some hours it's like a second nature!

Really nice game 9/10. The UI would need a bit more work imo and some annoying bugs, like my guy getting stuck in side a wall (happened once so far, but ruined a long good game session), but nothing too serious and often or game breaking that ruin the whole experience.

I'm realöy glad I backed this up!

Cleared all downtown locations, moved to industrial. Getting rekt by eternals and uzi's, infiltration and going stealthy once again became essential. Abusing the heck outta hijack.

Black market has a lot of very nice upgrades, but dear god, everything costs 12k. Aint nobody got money for dat.

Really nice game 9/10. The UI would need a bit more work imo and some annoying bugs, like my guy getting stuck in side a wall (happened once so far, but ruined a long good game session), but nothing too serious and often or game breaking that ruin the whole experience.

When riding a zipline out of an Uzi compound in the west side of Industrial, two of my guys fell through the map. Solution was to get the other two out of combat and then use Warp All back to a node.

Which reminds me that i'm seriously hoping that there's some sort of way to make other team mates use ziplines without such a strong element of luck in the future.

Also could really use a visual indicator for sniper range once setup.

wetwired

Cleared all downtown locations, moved to industrial. Getting rekt by eternals and uzi's, infiltration and going stealthy once again became essential. Abusing the heck outta hijack.

Black market has a lot of very nice upgrades, but dear god, everything costs 12k. Aint nobody got money for dat.

When riding a zipline out of an Uzi compound in the west side of Industrial, two of my guys fell through the map. Solution was to get the other two out of combat and then use Warp All back to a node.

Which reminds me that i'm seriously hoping that there's some sort of way to make other team mates use ziplines without such a strong element of luck in the future.

Also could really use a visual indicator for sniper range once setup.

Do you have a screenshot of where you fell out of the map? I can take a look at it if you know where it was

Also you can buy zipclaws for your other agents if you've found the blueprints\researched them

Here you go, one of them fell into that conveniently placed platform down below. The other two decided to take a swim.
uEEZJIN.jpg

Yeah, just found a 4x scope in an uzi compound, which kinda drove home the point that the black marketer is there if you wanna get stuff ahead of time or wanna skip locations and have money to burn.

Problem is that you made every damn skill so important that i've been leaving pack mule for last and cant get my agents all broken op :(
-
Hah, just did the mission to access the data terminal near the uzikorp head office. Saw the high vent near the north entrance and decided to just solo with the infiltrator. Which went fine enough. Hardwire the entrance, get infiltrator through, stealth to high vent and bam, near the data terminal already. Except that there's another gate that can only be passed via hardwiring on the way to the terminal. Oops.

get close to the gate, cloak when a patrol opens it, go through, and we're clear to the data terminal... which required hacking lvl 1. 39% chance it was. Lucked out and made my way back.

#feelsgoodman

wetwired

Here you go, one of them fell into that conveniently placed platform down below. The other two decided to take a swim.

Yeah, just found a 4x scope in an uzi compound, which kinda drove home the point that the black marketer is there if you wanna get stuff ahead of time or wanna skip locations and have money to burn.

Problem is that you made every damn skill so important that i've been leaving pack mule for last and cant get my agents all broken op :(
-
Hah, just did the mission to access the data terminal near the uzikorp head office. Saw the high vent near the north entrance and decided to just solo with the infiltrator. Which went fine enough. Hardwire the entrance, get infiltrator through, stealth to high vent and bam, near the data terminal already. Except that there's another gate that can only be passed via hardwiring on the way to the terminal. Oops.

get close to the gate, cloak when a patrol opens it, go through, and we're clear to the data terminal... which required hacking lvl 1. 39% chance it was. Lucked out and made my way back.

#feelsgoodman

Thanks, should be a fix for the zipline issue coming in the next patch (fingers crossed comes out today)

Cleared all downtown locations, moved to industrial.

Me too! BEST FRIENDS FOREVER! :)

Thanks, but no good. The one stuck inside the wall caused the game to think I'm in danger and/or compound, could not warp away. I tried also to get the enemies kill him, but it seemed he was invisible to enemies, because they just ran around without taking a shot at him.

edit: this was the downtown military compound. And i think he was *pushed* by my other guys in to this "add board" when I had an intense gunfight. It's funny how all the bugs appear when you have an intense gunfight and have no idea what actually just happened :)

Thanks anyway :)

So i just got this game thanks to Brad from 4playerpodcast recommending it. He seems to have a blast playing it. My question is what am i getting myself into and what should a beginner like me do?

So i just got this game thanks to Brad from 4playerpodcast recommending it. He seems to have a blast playing it. My question is what am i getting myself into and what should a beginner like me do?

Seems that the most effective way to play the game, once entering a new zone, is sending your agents to capture all teleport respawn thingies accross the zone, thus acquiring fast mobility. After that, hit the bank with your hacker in order to uncover all ATM locations and get 140% atm bonus, then hack them.

After that just hit whatever you want however you want. Adapt and overcome, really.

Or eschew all that and just clear the zone in any order. Game is extremely open in the way it's structured, and any approach, if well-played, is viable.

Whatever you do, rescue your infiltrator as soon as the tutorial is over.

Corpekata

Banned
They've just patched in some new features:

"real time with pause" option. Not quite real time with pause, what this does is lets you have a fully upgraded ability the Support character has called Team Stims which slows down time for free from the start if you want it. Haven't tested how it works exactly yet, as it requires a new game to enable the option.

As well as an Ironman Mode and a mode that increases damage dealt by enemies. These are all options you can toggle when creating a new game.

I've put the game on pause for now, upgrading my PC this month and want to see if it helps with the perfomance woes (though it really is pretty spotty for the rig I'm on right now anyways).

Protip, always read (to a degree of actually understanding what it says) the mission descriptions. Missions have varying conditions and end results depending what you do, and who of your team you use. It's also recommended to purchase the additional info for each mission. Sometime they have crucial stuff in them.

The game in on itself is great! Easily the best single-player game I've played in a looooong time. The balance of the game is such, that you can't really see what is going to happen and you just have to improvise and go with the flow: high risk - high reward. Many of the things in the game you just have to try out and learn by trial and error.

It's really an old-school game in a sense that you actually have to use your brain and try to figure out stuff, instead of being hand held the whole game through, but very well thought out as a game. At first the difficulty level can feel pretty hard, but after a while you are asking for more :)

Hrm, do old locations also get upgraded as you hit newer zones? Dunno if the progression is supposed to be Industrial=>Grid=>GCP or whatever is the acronym, but having left only Evgeny's Stronghold undone in Industrial, moved to Grid and tore the place apart with ease, then moved to the last district solely to unlock warp points and hit the bank, went back to Industrial to clear Evgeny's.... and all was going well until it didn't, then the combination of one of those tanks and the reams of troops with advanced weaponry that converged on the location tore my (quite decked out) squad apart horrendously fast.

Eternal Chapel certainly wasn't this troublesome.

Also that plasma rocket launcher thingie is very silly.

I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not simply a nostalgia-driven game, but an actual evolution of the Syndicate formula. Really liked the new features and the open world-like feeling included on this one, it's a very immersive game. There's some bugs or flaws, but still a great game. It really managed to reach my expectations. Syndicate and Syndicate Wars are among my favorite games of all time, my avatar says it all, and I was hopeless about a real Syndicate game after all these years, especially how lackluster was the latest EA's installment.

Sinatar

I'm about half way through the game now and I'm getting incredibly fed up with it.

Why, if you were making a successor to syndicate, would you make a game that punishes the player so hard for killing things? I don't even know why there are guns in this game, as getting into a firefight with anything is suicide. Hordes and hordes of enemies come out of the woodwork and you get destroyed. I've got heavy shields, heavy armor, lots of health and heavy weapons on my team and I can't win any fire fights, I can kill a ton of dudes but they keep coming infinitely. The only hope I have in combat is to kill an enemy or two to try and run away.

Syndicate and Syndicate Wars were not stealth games. At all. Argh.

r1chard

Has potential, but disappointing once combat gets thick - mindless gunfire ensues. Also, most of the body mods appear to just be +10 health/+10 armor. Ho hum. Still playing it tho - there's something still grabbing me. Maybe it's just Syndicate Wars nostalgia?

I'm about half way through the game now and I'm getting incredibly fed up with it.

Why, if you were making a successor to syndicate, would you make a game that punishes the player so hard for killing things? I don't even know why there are guns in this game, as getting into a firefight with anything is suicide. Hordes and hordes of enemies come out of the woodwork and you get destroyed. I've got heavy shields, heavy armor, lots of health and heavy weapons on my team and I can't win any fire fights, I can kill a ton of dudes but they keep coming infinitely. The only hope I have in combat is to kill an enemy or two to try and run away.

Syndicate and Syndicate Wars were not stealth games. At all. Argh.
Perhaps you're playing the game expecting something that it's not. It definitely more of an open-ended tactical game where sneaking, disabling defenses, etc. is far more beneficial than entering combat without any prior prep.

Only played a tiny amount,but really enjoying it so far.Its pretty tough going so far but i like that.Just noticed that Edge score of 5/10 seems at odds with all other reviews.

Sinatar

Perhaps you're playing the game expecting something that it's not. It definitely more of an open-ended tactical game where sneaking, disabling defenses, etc. is far more beneficial than entering combat without any prior prep.

Well I managed to beat it with my Rambo style. The key ended up being 'knockdown shot' for my sniper, which I didn't have when I was ranting before. Using that to knock dudes who are trying to call reinforcements on their asses made all the difference.

Moff

I definitely need an in depth video that tells me how to play this game, I don't know how to play it and I really miss a quicksave option

Sinatar

I definitely need an in depth video that tells me how to play this game, I don't know how to play it and I really miss a quicksave option

Quicksave is F5. Though you can't do it when you're wanted or in hostile territory.

r1chard

Now that I've got some additional gear and that I understand how bits of the game work better* the game is more enjoyable. There's still moments of derp (like half a dozen soldiers getting stuck on the door I want to use to leave a compound!) but I'm sticking with the game. About to clear Industrial zone and then I'll move on to Grid.

* everyone gets a cloaking device!
* hijack soldiers! of course, duh
* just run the hell away if things get hot - they have a shorter attention span than goldfish
* grenades. should have got them way earlier

Nordicus

Just started playing this game few days ago and I'm enjoying it. There was definitely a kind of difficulty spike with the last missions of the first sector, but now in the second sector things have calmed down a bit. Got more gear, and now I'm aware that you can do heists on previous locations repeatedly for money.

Hardwire level 2 is so good for crowd control, I find. Shutting down an automated security door or two can be crucial.

My sniper is just quietly taking care of cameras as faction wars happen below

5taquitos

Has this game seen any improvements or additional content since launch? I've had it on my wishlist for a while, but haven't convinced myself to purchase it yet, even though I'm a big Syndicate fan.

Now that people have had it for a while, does it hold up?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has this game seen any improvements or additional content since launch? I've had it on my wishlist for a while, but haven't convinced myself to purchase it yet, even though I'm a big Syndicate fan.

Now that people have had it for a while, does it hold up?

It really isn't Syndicate. It's much more like the old Commandos games, but not as good.

As a backer I was really disappointed.

5taquitos

It really isn't Syndicate. It's much more like the old Commandos games, but not as good.

As a backer I was really disappointed.

Hmm, that's disappointing. I liked the old Commandos games, but that's not what I'm looking for here...

Maybe I'll scoop it up on a deep summer sale.

Nordicus

Personally, I've been enjoying it a lot. The more frustrating bits of the first quarter were gone after I got the hang of what kinds of patrols I can deal with, and what would be too tough of a fight.

My biggest gripe with the game is how it lacks some common strategy game hotkey options. Devs should have taken a closer look at what Dawn of War 2 does

Also, CO-OP BETA IS NOW LIVE

Lime

This game is on sale now but I want to hear if its possible to mod out those TRON lines on the soldiers? It looks ridiculous to me

ShadowOwl

How is the performance these days? My system is pretty old and I've read many reports that the performance is pretty bad at times.

Just started playing, rescued my Infiltrator. Pretty fun, but how do I change the scroll map to WASD? When I unassigned anything that was mapped to those keys, I still can't map them to what I want.

Nordicus

Just beat the game yesterday.

I'm surprised how satisfying the ending was in terms of story. Aside from worldbuilding in the emails, the game's pretty light on that, so that was a surprise

Patrick S.

Banned
My physical copy arrived in the mail today. I haven't opened it, because I want it as a collectable, but it looks a bit... cheap? Its a folded black cardboard box with clear insides, no artwork other than the title on the front of the box, nothing on the back. Definitely looks like it should be in a nice sleeve :/

Edit: Yeah, it doesn't look like that, because the sleeve/case in the left of this picture is not included:

boxedcopy_Website.png

Edit 2: Silly me, it says right there "design not final" haha.

Top Bottom