• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live: Season 41 |OT| Starring the Real Ghostbusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanafan

Classroom skit!

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Holy Fuck, I laughed way too fucking hard at the Farewell, Mr. Bunting sketch
Fuck me, so unexpected

What is this music??

I mean, it seems like something that would be used for those old iPod commercials that were nothing but blacked out silhouettes with multicolored backgrounds.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
What is this music??

I mean, it seems like something that would be used for those old iPod commercials that were nothing but blacked out silhouettes with multicolored backgrounds.
Rock music? I know, who listens to that shit anymore?!

Is Dead Poets Society a pretty good movie? I knew it was referencing the film, but I have never seen it.

I just watched it for the first time recently and could take or leave it. It might've been the start of the "inspirational teacher" subgenre, but it wasn't particularly moving or brilliant. Somewhat overwrought (it's Robin Williams, shocker).

big ander

I wonder if the southern rock band at the end was supposed to be an actual sketch that they had to truncate. I kinda liked how arbitrary it was haha. Pretty good finale. Being so reunion heavy can be odd, especially when some of the actual cast members might not be back next year

Courtney Barnett is incredible. Rock vocals haven't been about hitting the "right" notes since...the genre fuckin began honestly lol if that's your complaint about a rock song you pretty much just have to walk away from most guitar-driven music made in the last 50 years. Why not focus on the clever lyrics or the, yknow, music. She and her band shred

Revolver

I laughed way too hard at that Dead Poets Society sketch. Tuned in for Courtney Barnett and wasn't disappointed. She's really great.

It always seemed like they had big plans for Killam so that's kind of surprising. I didn't like him at first, but he sort of grew on me.

Pharoah, I don't know, it never really felt like he developed much out side of his impressions, which were on point. There was probably a lot of unfair pressure put on him as a black cast member, you sort of automatically become the "next Murphy/Rock" but I thought he would be better than he was.

Bgamer90

Banned
It always seemed like they had big plans for Killam so that's kind of surprising. I didn't like him at first, but he sort of grew on me.

Pharoah, I don't know, it never really felt like he developed much out side of his impressions, which were on point. There was probably a lot of unfair pressure put on him as a black cast member, you sort of automatically become the "next Murphy/Rock" but I thought he would be better than he was.

Yeah. Funny you mention Eddie Murphy because this move reminds me of when Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo left. They were pretty much the main cast members that were holding the show up during its tough years in the early '80s (the first seasons after the original cast left). This also came to my mind due to both cast members being male; one White, one Black.

Anyway, they never really used Jay effectively but he still had many solid sketches. Taran was great and was used in many ways. Really surprised that they got rid of him.

Sanjuro

Pharoah never really gelled with anyone. His impersonations were regularly great, but they didn't play off any of the cast members during sketches. Just felt like he was doing everything verbatim.

Killam is surprising though.

effzee

I am assuming it was a money thing? And Killam can now work in movies now so for him it is a win win?

I hope cause otherwise that sucks. He was one of the most reliable cast members who could elevate really shitty skits.

Killam is about as close as they have now to a star. RIP SNL (for the seven hundredth time)

They do have McKinnon and Jones who had good exposure in Ghostbusters this year. McKinnon is definitely a bigger star than Killam.

Still, this is a surprising move. Killam is a huge loss and I was a big fan of Pharoah as well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Killam is a big shock. They use him for a lot of sketches. I like Pharoah but they were barely using him this year outside of his Ben Carson, which is probably his worst impersonation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom