• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Service is broke cause Trump & family vacationing across the US

So reaching their salary cap, are they forced to work without pay? Or is it simply they have to hire new agents? Which I assume is not some easy feat to just do.

The thread title is a bit misleading, the SS is not broke, they simply have worked the agents beyond their salary and overtime caps..... so what happens now?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
So reaching their salary cap, are they forced to work without pay? Or is it simply they have to hire new agents? Which I assume is not some easy feat to just do.

The thread title is a bit misleading, the SS is not broke, they simply have worked the agents beyond their salary and overtime caps..... so what happens now?
You get taxed more.

Pilgrimzero

Yeah, don't think they won't find money to pay them.

Just expect it to come out of something we don't need. Like education, clean air, or welfare.

Yeah, don't think they won't find money to pay them.

Just expect it to come out of something we don't need. Like education, clean air, or welfare.

The problem isn't that they don't have the money, the SS do have the money, it's that they can't pay their current agents anymore as they are at their salary and overtime limits. So how do they proceed? Change the SS rules to allow their agents to get paid more, or hire a ton of more staff?

And is it even possible for them to be forced to work for "free"?

Chumly

The problem isn't that they don't have the money, the SS do have the money, it's that they can't pay their current agents anymore as they are at their salary and overtime limits. So how do they proceed? Change the SS rules to allow their agents to get paid more, or hire a ton of more staff?

And is it even possible for them to be forced to work for "free"?
Where are you finding that they have "money"? They don't have the money. The have caps in place because only so much is budgeted for SS.

I'm finding your posts to be very misleading

Where are you finding that they have "money"? They don't have the money. The have caps in place because only so much is budgeted for SS.

I'm finding your posts to be very misleading

It's been posted quite a few places debunking the bankrupt SS bit, it's a misleading title folks keep using. And if you want something that folks like to consider "non biased" as a source:

http://www.snopes.com/secret-service-broke-trump/

They have the funds, but Trump is spending waayyyyy too much and costing them more than budgeted/expected

blackjaw

I like that he's now spent some time at Camp David to show his critics he doesn't do his resorts every weekend..."see I care!"...then proceeds to spend another 16 weekends at a Trump property and further bankrupt the SS and waste taxpayer money

shira

Meanwhile in Canada
o-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-PRIDE-PARADE-570.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's been posted quite a few places debunking the bankrupt SS bit, it's a misleading title folks keep using. And if you want something that folks like to consider "non biased" as a source:

http://www.snopes.com/secret-service-broke-trump/

They have the funds, but Trump is spending waayyyyy too much and costing them more than budgeted/expected

I understand the distinction, but it's a budget. You allocate funds to an expense, and if you spend all of that allocation, you're out of money. If we're going to argue the semantics of their budget versus other funds, you may as well add the federal reserve and Fort Knox to the exercise. They have in fact spent all the money they were apportioned for this task.

Now, absolutely, they can get more money, but that's always true. The funny thing about this is that Trump himself may have to approve the new spending, or at least through one of his proxies. So he'll have pretty direct blame from golf cart to line item.

Chumly

I understand the distinction, but it's a budget. You allocate funds to an expense, and if you spend all of that allocation, you're out of money. If we're going to argue the semantics of their budget versus other funds, you may as well add the federal reserve and Fort Knox to the exercise. They have in fact spent all the money they were apportioned for this task.

Now, absolutely, they can get more money, but that's always true. The funny thing about this is that Trump himself may have to approve the new spending, or at least through one of his proxies. So he'll have pretty direct blame from golf cart to line item.

The fact that they are equating election year protection to a normal trump year is fucking insane. Yes yes they are not bankrupt but I certainly consider them to be out of money if a third of their workforce hits the max pay. Obviously this wasn't part of the budget and they have crushed whatever expectations they had.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

dan2026

So the Secret Service is having to pay Trump to protect him at his own resorts and golf courses?
Through renting golf carts and hotel rooms and such?

This is kind of amazing, I almost have to take my hat of to the guy.
He is fucking America coming and going, while getting paid hand over fist.

Incredible.

Top Bottom