• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Intel Panel hearing on Russian interference and activities ( livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Press Release of Intelligence Committee

Advisory: Senate Intel Committee Announces Open Hearing on Russian Intelligence Activities

WASHINGTON –Senator Richard Burr (R-NC), Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, and Senator Mark Warner (D-VA), Vice Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, today announced an open hearing related to the Committee’s inquiry into Russian intelligence activities will take place on March 30, 2017.

The hearing, Disinformation: A Primer in Russian Active Measures and Influence Campaigns, will consist of two panels and will provide a foundational understanding of Russian active measures and information operations campaigns. The first panel will examine the history and characteristics of those campaigns; the second panel will examine the role and capabilities of cyber operations in support of these activities.
Details

Hearing: Disinformation: A Primer in Russian Active Measures and Influence Campaigns

Witnesses:

Panel I

Eugene Rumer, Director of Russia and Eurasia Program, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. He previously served as the National Intelligence Officer for Russia and Eurasia from 2010-2014.

Roy Godson, Professor of Government Emeritus at Georgetown University. From 1993-2015, he also served as President of the National Strategy Information Center.

Clint Watts, Senior Fellow, Foreign Policy Research Institute Program on National Security

*Other witnesses may be added

Panel II:

Kevin Mandia, Chief Executive Officer, FireEye

General (Ret.) Keith Alexander, Chief Executive Officer and President, IronNet Cybersecurity. He previously served as Director of the National Security Agency and Chief of the Central Security Service.

*Other witnesses may be added

When: Thursday, March 30th 2017 at 10:00 am (Panel I)

Thursday, March 30th 2017 at 2:00 pm (Panel II)

Where: Dirksen Senate Office Building Room 106
Livestream: https://www.c-span.org/video/?42622...xamines-russian-interference-capabilites&live
New YT link for second hearing: https://youtu.be/Av_IRnDlxKQ

Noam Chomsky said:
When Obama was presenting himself to the public before the 2008 primaries, one of his proudest accomplishments -- in fact, one of the very few of his senatorial career -- was impassioned support for Israel's murderous invasion of Lebanon. He even went so far as to cosponsor legislation calling for strong action against any country that might impede the assault. Has anyone on the Trump team been accused of similar support for Russian crimes? True, there have been some entirely improper acts, notably Michael Flynn's failure to register as an agent of Turkey. But that is not the focus of the anger of the Democrats, whose primary concern in this affair seems to be to extinguish one of the few rays of light in the Trump performances, his indications of concern to reduce tensions with Russia that might well explode to terminal nuclear war.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/it...ys-are-undermining-our-prospects-for-survival

bananas

Banned
giphy-downsized-large.gif

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I will be watching this all day since I have a tummy ache.

Going for that derail.

It's odd, started reading the interview and Chomsky is definitely a smart man so I'm trying to understand where he's coming from with this.

Guys stay on topic, don't let sugarhigh derail the thread from the topic at hand. The goal is to prevent and sidetrack discussion of the topic.

Right, apologies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Guys stay on topic, don't let sugarhigh derail the thread from the topic at hand. The goal is to prevent and sidetrack discussion of the topic.

studyguy

Guys stay on topic, don't let sugarhigh derail the thread from the topic at hand.

Pretty hard now that the dude caught a ban.

Also recall that Rubio quote during the general where he warns GOP not to get comfortable with Russia out of fear that they may just flip on them when it becomes convenient lol.

According to the current speaker, Russian trolls/botnets have continued pushing their pro-Trump "fake news", most recently against Paul Ryan.

The questioning periods will be very enlightening as to how serious the Senate Intel Committee about this investigation. I re-watched the opening hours of the House hearing last week, and the questions from the Republicans were amazingly crazy considering the seriousness of the accusations.

The House Republicans seemed way more concerned with 'WHO LEAKED FLYNN?!?!?!?' than with 'The Russians engaged in election-related hacking?'.

I mean, hell, they all-but-threatened the NSA/FBI with not extending critical collection authorizations because of the leaks. Gowdy even hunted at witch hunts of journalists who published leaks...

Prax

Being "pro-Trump" is what you do if you want to ruin America and its people, so it makes sense.

Getting some details here. Accounts dating back to 2009, infrastructure for fake news propagation and the like really ramping up in 2014.

Didn't even know about that fake Louisiana news thing that Rubio was talking about. Crazy. Also, stupid pizza gate.

This NYT article covers it in-depth: The Agency

The Columbian Chemicals hoax was not some simple prank by a bored sadist. It was a highly coordinated disinformation campaign, involving dozens of fake accounts that posted hundreds of tweets for hours, targeting a list of figures precisely chosen to generate maximum attention. The perpetrators didn't just doctor screenshots from CNN; they also created fully functional clones of the websites of Louisiana TV stations and newspapers. The YouTube video of the man watching TV had been tailor-made for the project. A Wikipedia page was even created for the Columbian Chemicals disaster, which cited the fake YouTube video. As the virtual assault unfolded, it was complemented by text messages to actual residents in St. Mary Parish. It must have taken a team of programmers and content producers to pull off.

This is pretty good. I'll be tuned in for as long as I can. Very informative. Did I hear that Russia had a hand in creating or infiltrating BLM to create riots? It was in the beginning.

Being "pro-Trump" is what you do if you want to ruin America and its people, so it makes sense.
Yes it does.

ivajz

This is pretty good. I'll be tuned in for as long as I can. Very informative. Did I hear that Russia had a hand in creating or infiltrating BLM to create riots? It was in the beginning.

Yes it does.
It looks like they helped the occupy Wall Street movement.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Wow the Senate guys' questions, regardless of parties, sound genuinely much much more sensible than the House Republicans the other day....

Russia seeks to increase or amplify divisions in the West. It's not terribly surprising.

Man, this hearing makes the House look like a daycare. Nice to know that this committee seems to have its priorities straight.

kirblar

Russia seeks to increase or amplify divisions in the West. It's not terribly surprising.

Man, this hearing makes the House look like a daycare. Nice to know that this committee seems to have its priorities straight.
Yup, they're doing this shit everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom