• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Intel Panel hearing on Russian involvement (3/20, 10am ET, livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^that is deep man

Dang. Wouldn't be a stretch but he makes some interesting points that I can actually believe
She*

It all comes together so beautifully that now I wish Comey hadn't been forced (emails-style, if that article is anything to go by) to reveal an investigation was indeed taking place.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Mensch was not on my radar initially, but at this point, despite her trolly, awful background, she's been right more than wrong about this case.

I REALLY enjoyed reading the piece you linked first time around. It's hyperbolic, it's melodramatic, but it's a barn-burning page-turner and even if it turns out to be completely false (actually, that's not possible now - a bunch of it is now fact) then it's worth reading as a glimpse of the fiction and biographies that will surely be based on this case.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Mensch was not on my radar initially, but at this point, despite her trolly, awful background, she's been right more than wrong about this case.

I REALLY enjoyed reading the piece you linked first time around. It's hyperbolic, it's melodramatic, but it's a barn-burning page-turner and even if it turns out to be completely false (actually, that's not possible now - a bunch of it is now fact) then it's worth reading as a glimpse of the fiction and biographies that will surely be based on this case.

Link?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
It's quoted in my post, and is the post above that. "First time around" was a clumsily phrased, "when I read this earlier"

Thanks. For some reason thought that you were talking about another piece.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They won't pass a law that would force him to resign unless he had definitely lost enough support. It would be the equivalent of impeaching him. It's far more likely that he would agree to distance himself from his businesses and let his kids handle that, but only after fighting tooth and nail against the bill putting pressure on Republicans to vote against it, a couple of rallies and all.

Also I still think the healthcare bill is the real point of reference right now. I think it will pass, after some tweaks and enough pressure. If it doesn't then it might be shoved to later and Trump will move on to taxes saying he can't delay tackling this any longer. As time passes the pressure will increase on those who voted against it to vote for it.

Carn82

Carn82

I'm reading through this now, but doesn't Snowden's biography/career/interviews invalidate the following statement the author makes?

I think she meant that Snowden wasn't really high in the chain of command etc, basically 'just a sysadmin'. But yeah, I'm not fond of the used wording.

I think she meant that Snowden wasn't really high in the chain of command etc, basically 'just a sysadmin'. But yeah, I'm not fond of the used wording.

She thinks Snowden is a traitor who was recruited and now is a Kremlin puppet. She's posted some evidence that his story doesn't add up. She says that's why she gets info from the IC few others get.

And while her stories border on the fantastic it seems she is slowly being proven more and more correct.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
You used your moles in the FBI Field Office and, in 2016 at the right moment, you woke up Wiener's laptop via the 'Snowden Virus', found or planted old emails on it, and suddenly had the FBI Field Office ”find it" and then lean, hard, on Comey to produce the letter he did.

cool fanfic. I wonder if they built a GUI interface in visual basic to plant emails without a trace.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thanks. For some reason thought that you were talking about another piece.

Cause i done wrote it bad

I read it early february and dismissed most of it as 'convenient circumstancial evidence' but after Flynn's resignment, Sessions rucusing, and Comey going public on the Russian ties to the election it's getting less absurd. It's still written a bit too much like a piece of fiction tho :p

She's a young adult fiction writer originally. So that's her cadence for sure. But when this piece first aired, it was widely ridiculed. That position becomes harder and harder with each passing day. Weird thing is, she's VERY right wing. And she does have connections. So it needs to be taken at least mildly seriously.

Atlagev

Apparently Roger Stone also has a big tattoo of Nixon on his back. You can't make this up.

Who does he think he is, Irwin B. Cheetin?

871978-track-meet-game-boy-screenshot-this-dude-loves-nixon.png

cool fanfic. I wonder if they built a GUI interface in visual basic to plant emails without a trace.

She's writing some serious fan fiction there but she is trying to connect a few things. Doing this from memory:

-NSA hacking tools were stolen and published last year
- A Russian hacker who broke into Formspring(among other sites) was picked up in Prague on an FBI warrant. He presumably used NSA tools
- duplicate emails from HRC were on Weiner's laptop with no explanation how they got there(implying they were planted by someone who had access)
-FBI had that laptop for several weeks before telling Comey compelling him to reopen investigation right before election. In those weeks no one checked that the emails were duplicates.
- Weiner has not been charged with anything implying there was no crime committed(whole thing was staged)

I don't know

Mully

My bullshit alarm was going off throughout, but then I did some research and most her argument's foundation is solid. That's not to say, she's right, in fact, I think she found a number things that could be linked, but seem so fantastical that they likely aren't (Snowden). I also was drunkenly briefed on this stuff by a friend who works at a foreign news desk for a news outlet right around the inauguration. He was drunk, but everything he said then has turned out true; although the stuff he said was much more grounded than the Mensch stuff.

Having said that, the Trump-Russia stuff is all true. It's like OJ Simpson without the DNA evidence at this point. It happened, and the FBI/NSA are making sure they do everything by the book in order to prevent themselves from getting fucked by any type of argument which leads to some doubt about the collection of evidence and testimony.

As of right now, in regards to the Mensch stuff, I'll just keep it in the back of my mind and trust more credible sources as more stuff comes out.

this was a good read

I'm seriously lusting for more information.

Without more info I don't really know or care much about the method by which weiner was done but if you take a stroll through trump tweets it becomes crystal clear that he knew what was happening with weiners second political run and fall before anyone *and played it up to the hilt*. Everyone on his feed congratulated him for extraordinary power of prediction after the second weiner takedown happened.

I feel this victory over weiner using hacking leaks and inside info was heroin to trump and was a trial run for podesta and the grander Wikileaks thing.

If you go to trumptwitterarchive search, and type weiner, and compare to the dates when weiner re-entered politics and the date the second dump of damning messages came out, you will see what I mean by this. Given Roger Stone knew Podesta was done, it isn't surprising to know trump had an evil deep throat type giving him political moves.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Of all the things she written, this is the least outrageous.

so? the problem with everyone who tries to piece this Russia/Trump story together from news snippets and why it always drifts into conspiracy territory is because the only way their version works is by connecting a bunch of loose dots with shadowy persons unknown. Without those direct connections it's just some things that happened but with those connections it's a big plot and only you're smart enough to see it. Her claims are no more credible than an anonymous post on reddit where people try and piece news and twitter comments to catch the real bomber etc.

I do not like the woman, but that was a good read. Not sure she's on the money with some things, but it's interesting nonetheless, and brings attention to some very informative sources and articles.

Anyway, slight tangent, but someone posted an article a few pages back about the FBI investigating Russian bot activity and propaganda. Between that and relevant parts of this Patribotics piece I had a totally random realisation... The_Donald probably continues to exist because it is under investigation, and Reddit has been instructed not to remove it. That could certainly explain why Reddit has gone out of their way to restrict their influence on the site, but won't ban them, despite taking decisive action on other subs for lesser rule breaches.

Anyway, slight tangent, but someone posted an article a few pages back about the FBI investigating Russian bot activity and propaganda. Between that and relevant parts of this Patribotics piece I had a totally random realisation... The_Donald probably continues to exist because it is under investigation, and Reddit has been instructed not to remove it. That could certainly explain why Reddit has gone out of their way to restrict their influence on the site, but won't ban them, despite taking decisive action on other subs for lesser rule breaches.

That's uh... a good point. And we know Reddit removed it's warrant canary about a year ago as well (though before the investigation allegedly started)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
As someone who isn't clued up on the intricacies of US politics (other than its current state resembling a burning trash dump of a circus on a unicycle) what will be the difference between Comey's hearing with the Senate vs House?

As someone who isn't clued up on the intricacies of US politics (other than its current state resembling a burning trash dump of a circus on a unicycle) what will be the difference between Comey's hearing with the Senate vs House?

House is the kids table. Senate is the adults table.

This is all going to end same way it began... Disappointment with no smoking gun.

Will be a relief too because there are so many things we need to be attacking Trump on that aren't getting the attention they deserve.

This is all going to end same way it began... Disappointment with no smoking gun.

Will be a relief too because there are so many things we need to be attacking Trump on that aren't getting the attention they deserve.

What are you even talking about? Even at this early stage, the national security advisor resigned and the DOJ director has had to recuse himself from these proceedings.

Nixon took over a year to bring down even with a Democratic Congress. This shit takes time.

Everything gets attention. It's just that everything ends with "...but we can't do shit about it", so its whatever.

Jesus H Christ - just catching up on the Nunes drama, and watching Schiff's conference right now.

Unbelievable and shamelessly fucking corrupt.

Dude Abides

Banned
What are you even talking about? Even at this early stage, the national security advisor resigned and the DOJ director has had to recuse himself from these proceedings.

Nixon took over a year to bring down even with a Democratic Congress. This shit takes time.

Some people on the nutty left like Russia because it opposes the US and are thus salty about attacks on Papa Putin.

Jinaar

Where is everyone watching Schiff's conference on btw? Thanks!

EDIT: the link below has links to Schiff. Cheers!

EDIT 2: Thanks for the Youtube link as well!

Mahonay

Banned
why can't they pronounce Nunes' last name correctly?

it's not pronounces Nuñez, it's pronounced Nunes

Nunes should recuse himself from the committee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom