• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Intel Panel hearing on Russian interference and activities ( livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

How do you counter attack? Russia has no free press to use to sow dissent the way Russia can with the Western world's media.

Yeah, sanction the fuck out of them, defend are the options and maybe bringing in rules on party funding and such so Russia can't bankroll these far right lunatics. The options are there for social media, education to teach kids especially how to understand fact from fiction.

Vectorman

Banned
You know the worst thing is that if you don't think the Chinese and/or other nations haven't thought about this themselves then we're fucked.

theWB27

You aren't in charge of bringing criminal charges, either. What you and I think is fairly inconsequential, in terms of it being anything other than for or against Trump. We can put pressure on our representatives (hopefully you have better luck, mine have basically told me to fuck off, the Conservative teet must continue to be sucked), but other than that we have to hope that the process is just.

I know that in and of itself doesn't hold a lot of promise for a lot of people here, with police brutality going largely unpunished. Which is why sometimes it's puzzling to me that a lot of people are extremely confident Trump will be taken down by the same people who benefit from a non-Democrat in office. Country should come before party, but not enough Republicans believe that. Not yet. I'm hopeful that changes, but I'm not counting on it.

Oddly...I'm counting on this being so public now that Republicans have to act however slow it may be. The funny thing is they stand to lose more power if they let it happen and I don't see some of these politicians giving that up.

Glass half full I try to be.

Tuber

I just wrote Burr's office an email. He and I may profoundly disagree on policy, but it was so refreshing to see such a measured, bipartisan committee after the Nunes clown-fest that I had to thank him for chairing it. I suppose it could be considered sad that I write to senators to thank them for properly doing their jobs, but here we are.

Mael

You know the worst thing is that if you don't think the Chinese and/or other nations haven't thought about this themselves then we're fucked.

they don't really need to be fair.
No one dares even talk about Tibet or Taiwan to them.
Contracts are signed and money flow.
In a capitalistic world their needs are met, the western countries aren't threats to them as they're more than willing to cater to them.
This is going to change if you see trade barriers going up.

So, just like everything else that happens in real-time on PoliGAF because A. west coast time zone and B. working day hours, I missed the hearing. What I can gather is that Watts tore the roof off by confirming that Trump used KGB tactics during the election that he learned from Paul Manafort.

Did we learn anything else that's super important going forward?

Oddly...I'm counting on this being so public now that Republicans have to act however slow it may be. The funny thing is they stand to lose more power if they let it happen and I don't see some of these politicians giving that up.

Glass half full I try to be.

All we have is hope.

I just wrote Burr's office an email. He and I may profoundly disagree on policy, but it was so refreshing to see such a measured, bipartisan committee after the Nunes clown-fest that I had to thank him for chairing it. I suppose it could be considered sad that I write to senators to thank them for properly doing their jobs, but here we are.

No, that's exactly what we should be doing. Doing the right thing is apparently very hard in Washington, we have to send the message that it needs to happen more.

jelly

No reason to since the economies are so linked .

They just buy Trump the old fashion way, with money. Look how quickly Trump changed his tune on China when he was granted the right to use his name in China. They've also got the POTUS in their pocket.

This is just kind of maddening. It worked "this time" because the Conservative Media and Republican Politicians have been spreading disgusting, outrageous lies and conspiracy theories about Democrats for AGES. Their base has been psychologically primed to believe anything bad, no matter how crazy, about Democratic candidates. For the Republicans on the panel to sit up there and act like they haven't been complicit, benefited, or even engaged in this type of behavior before is sickening.

ivajz

He even noted the Sputnik article that was quickly taken down but not before Trump talked about it in one of his rallies.

I forget when, but I know Jason Miller (Trump spokeman) during the campaign also referenced Sputnik news. I believe it was during a Chuck Todd interview.

Swass

I don't. He is a shithead republican after all.

All he is going to do is put all the blame on Russia and get eyes off​ Trump. Maybe scapegoat someone white he is at it.

Whoever breaks this is going to be a hero.. that should be motivation enough to keep them in check.. I think the reason Nunes strayed is because he is tied up in this somehow.. probably the Flynn / Turkey connection.. I see no other reason for Nunes to tank his career like this.

The easiest way to see a Russian twitter troll is to see if they have the name "Deplorable" or "Freedom". For example "Deplorable Joe", "Freedom Danielle" etc that use a profile pic of random american people and have like 50K followers and thousands of tweets.

I don't. He is a shithead republican after all.

All he is going to do is put all the blame on Russia and get eyes off​ Trump. Maybe scapegoat someone white he is at it.

For posterity I'll predict that this committee finds that Trump's team actively collaborated with Russian agents to influence the election against Hillary and that Trump knew.

KingK

He's not doing that at all and hasn't given any indication he will.
Up until that press conference yesterday he had shown no indication that he was taking it seriously at all and was basically a Trump shill. I don't trust him for a second, he could just be trying to avoid the same backlash Nunes got. Mark Warner's lunch with Tillerson has my eyebrow raised as well.

Y'all are to easy to reassure and placate. I still don't trust the Senate committee that much more than the house committee. I'll remain highly skeptical unless they produce results.

The easiest way to see a Russian twitter troll is to see if they have the name "Deplorable" or "Freedom". For example "Deplorable Joe", "Freedom Danielle" etc that use a profile pic of random american people and have like 50K followers and thousands of tweets.

Did anyone catch the possible Chris Chan reference during the hearing? At the beginning when Rubio was reading off a tweet about a hoaxed explosion he attributed it to someone named Anna McLerran.

Anna McLerran is the real life friend of Chris Chan, a guy who is one of the most trolled men alive right now. He didn't spell out the name and maybe it's just a coincidence but it's an interesting one. Back when I sent fake pledges to fig.co I used the name Chris Chan for one of them.

Did anyone catch the possible Chris Chan reference during the hearing? At the beginning when Rubio was reading off a tweet about a hoaxed explosion he attributed it to someone named Anna McLerran.

Anna McLerran is the real life friend of Chris Chan, a guy who is one of the most trolled men alive right now. He didn't spell out the name and maybe it's just a coincidence but it's an interesting one. Back when I sent fake pledges to fig.co I used the name Chris Chan for one of them.

I would shit my pants if Chris-chan ended up being at the center of a false flag operation.

The world has jumped a goddamn sharknado if Chris Chan is somehow linked to this.

Whoever breaks this is going to be a hero.. that should be motivation enough to keep them in check.. I think the reason Nunes strayed is because he is tied up in this somehow.. probably the Flynn / Turkey connection.. I see no other reason for Nunes to tank his career like this.

For posterity I'll predict that this committee finds that Trump's team actively collaborated with Russian agents to influence the election against Hillary and that Trump knew.

Both of these posts make me feel a little better thanks.

I think I need to take a break from all this for a few days. I'm in nc and with this HB2 mess and this I can tell it's starting to get to me. Gonna take a nap then play some FFXV

An hour through the first hearing, it's fucking amazing that people, especially young people, love to carry water for this dictator.

JZA

Tried bringing this up with a co-worker in IT based on purely the whole "Russian botnet targeting specific government officials" angle and trying to keep it about malicious technology, but he still brought up Obama. I feel like I have a duty to try to inform people about what's going on, but I really have no idea how to get through to people like this anymore.

JZA

Finally some real damn questions and answers going down here. Glad I'm watching this live instead of catching it later through watered down filters.

First time ever listening to C-SPAN with rapt attention. Downloaded the app and everything, seems to work pretty well.

JZA

Russia tends to try to infiltrate any countercultural movement. Doesn't mean the movement itself is invalid. They did it all the time during the Cold War (for more valid reasons).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was all national intelligence services that would do this. You'd think they would infiltrate both counterculture movements and huge influential businesses at the highest levels to get a wide spectrum of information about a country's populace.

So, from this 2nd panel I've gleaned:
- Russians are STILL trying to hack Rubio as recently as yesterday
- Kaspersky confirmed by panel to be bad

So is Watt really on his own? Worrying about his life? being on Putin's hitlist.

I would believe that, I mean they talked about the trail of money and the even bigger trail of dead Russian dissenters. The Kremlin's reach is international, and they have a pretty large popup now in D.C.

ivajz

Back in December, a guy who was one of the top people there was taken away during a meeting. Two guys went into the meeting room, tossed a black bag over his head, and dragged him out. Hasn't been seen since.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
What was Blunt's comment about someone saying earlier there should be a program saying what's true and what's not and how that's not practical?

Did I hear that right?

Ultryx

So, from this 2nd panel I've gleaned:
- Russians are STILL trying to hack Rubio as recently as yesterday

Jeez. This is a nightmare.

Edit: I've always heard this referred to as "phishing" rather than "spear phishing."

Is spear phishing directed as very specific people and that's why they call it that?

JZA

Edit: I've always heard this referred to as "phishing" rather than "spear phishing."

Is spear phishing directed as very specific people and that's why they call it that?

Exactly, they were mentioning earlier that they targeted specific government officials' accounts, including Paul Ryan and Trump.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Indeed. It targets a person or a small set of people from all avenues (all types of accounts they have). Phishing is the broad spam emails to all accounts possible hoping for someone to bite.

Afrikan

What was Blunt's comment about someone saying earlier there should be a program saying what's true and what's not and how that's not practical?

Did I hear that right?

haha yeah, I thought I heard that..

Is it really too much to ask? or do they worry about debates starting about what's really true or not....and thus taking up most of their evenings.

I've learned more about Russian tactics in this hearing than I think I ever care to know. :/

It's been incredibly informative and hopefully Americans are taking the time to actually watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom