• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Intel Panel hearing on Russian interference and activities ( livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow the Senate guys' questions, regardless of parties, sound genuinely much much more sensible than the House Republicans the other day....

"Mr. Watts, have you been able to determine how many Russian Twitter bots are supporting my wife's team, the Red Raiders?"

As someone who avoids trump related news for my own mental health, can anybody give me a short summary of positives that can potentially come out of this?

It seems surreal that after huge wins for the GOP their party is heading toward disaster. For years the demise of their party was talked about because it seemed like the country was becoming more progressive, but now it seems like they may be their own undoing.

studyguy

I'm just ready for some arrests to actually start happening.

Today is just laying the groundwork of Russian intervention against the US, not specifically relating to Trump or anyone in particular. It's gonna be an easy day. Think of today like an overview of the issue.

It seems surreal that after huge wins for the GOP their party is heading toward disaster. For years the demise of their party was talked about because it seemed like the country was becoming more progressive, but now it seems like they may be their own undoing.

Just remember. Progress ALWAYS wins. We wouldn't have gotten Obama if it didn't. This is a bump in the road but things will work out in the end.

AndyD

aka andydumi
]It seems surreal that after huge wins for the GOP their party is heading toward disaster.[/B] For years the demise of their party was talked about because it seemed like the country was becoming more progressive, but now it seems like they may be their own undoing.

They were so concerned with winning, they ignored all signs of issues and any ethical concerns.

One thing I see getting lost in all these discussions/hearings is the meaningful (or not) difference between directly changing votes, and indirectly changing votes.

Yes, with our disparate and distributed election systems it would be very difficult and expensive to directly affect vote totals (I.E., hacking vote collecting and tallying systems).

However, it would be (and likely was) far easier to indirectly affect votes.

Someone's vote is a rational choice, based on available evidence and one's beliefs.

It's hard to change someone's vote after-the fact. It's hard to change someone's beliefs. But if you can affect the evidence (read: media sources) a voter is presented with, you can much more easily affect that person's vote.

That's the importance of this 'fake news' discussion.

jelly

Trump "How can we dissolve the Senate....I saw that somewhere, Palpatine guy talked about it on the news"

rec0ded1

Finally some real damn questions and answers going down here. Glad I'm watching this live instead of catching it later through watered down filters.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Just remember. Progress ALWAYS wins. We wouldn't have gotten Obama if it didn't. This is a bump in the road but things will work out in the end.
Yeah, that's not something that can be taken on faith. Things always work out, until they don't. You jave to stay vigilant to keep a good thing going, and fight like hell to make positive changes.

theWB27

Not enough money is spent on Education.

This attack was done almost entirely through social media.

I get that, but it was pointed out the intelligence community is not equipped to track what Russia is doing.

Either way...this groundwork is pretty direct. They're indirectly confirming all the ways Trump and his team are connected to Russia when you compare it to what's been reported in the media.

Even down to them just saying he(Trump) spreads fake news. Damn.

Tahnit

Banned
Holy shit this is very good discussion. No politics. Just facts. Love this. Senate acting like grown adult men that seem to care.

Prax

This is so interesting yet scary.
I really enjoy Watts' explanations. He seems so mad at Trump for being an idiot.

AndyD

aka andydumi
PSY・S;233047672 said:
Did he say the Russians supported Bernie?

Yep. It was well known they play all sides. Because they know what elections work like. Just like in Europe they don't just prop up one group, they also fracture big ones to force disunity and compromise.

This is exactly the kind of cyberwarfare we need to fight, but we have Giuliani in charge of. With his imaginary experience.

Mael

PSY・S;233047672 said:
Just turned it on. Did he say the Russians supported Bernie?

the guy is anti trade and kind of an isolationist, of course they wouldn't have a problem with him.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Watts's suggestion is pretty nice: putting on an independent agency, privately funded, rating the falseness of news agencies, like nutritional facts.

PSY・S;233047672 said:
Just turned it on. Did he say the Russians supported Bernie?

That's the idea. They'll support any candidate that has a chance at upending the democratic order.

Driving a wedge between Sanders/Clinton supporters definitely hurt the Democrats in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom