• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Intel Panel hearing on Russian interference and activities ( livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but it is a tactic that Russia has deployed on high-profile individuals. They know that the stigma behind it can ruin careers.

ok but hopefully they can distinguish between russian meddling and the actual thing

i would hate to see russian trolls becoming scapegoat material to masked actual criminal behaviour in washinton

Crosseyes

Banned
Kinda incredible how neither the EU or US are ready to counterattack Russian cyber aggression.
Russia definetly beat the western world to the punch on all this. Our own freedom of speech and information is being weaponized against us. You can't just do it back to Russia like we used to with military threats because Russia don't give a fuck if some journalist got some juicy leaked story from a foreign entity. They just kill or imprison them.

He changed the Republican platform in support of our biggest enemy...Russia. Why is that not treasonous?

It's also horseshit the US has NO cyber security.

Was that a decision that came from Manafort though? I can't sit here and tell you that it was an idea that was generated from Trump, which is why I'm not going to sit here and tell you Trump is going to be led away in handcuffs or be impeached.

As much as I hate to say it, unless Manafort or someone else with intimate knowledge turns, it won't be proven.

Surfinn

I'm not sure if I like the idea of Trump being a puppet or actually being involved. If it turns out he just got played hard by Russian intelligence its bad for him but enough for impeachment?
I don't think the picture they're painting is saying Trump is a puppet. It looks like he's using Putins tactics to sow discord. Cause he's connected.
Nah I'm looking at this as a whynotboth.jpg. He knowingly broke the law but also got played by the Russian government by being fed fake news he wanted badly to be true. I'm not saying this is evidence of him being innocent at all.

Was that a decision that came from Manafort though? I can't sit here and tell you that it was an idea that was generated from Trump, which is why I'm not going to sit here and tell you Trump is going to be led away.

Gordon stated that Trump pushed for the policy change. They initially denied it.

Don't forget Trump publicly called Russia to hack Clinton. He was well aware of their assistance.

You can see it in all his attempts to deflect any investigation.

Mael

I don't do that usually but I shared that on social media.
Very interesting, basically propaganda war 2.0.
When is it coming back?

jelly

Good stuff. I'm quite optimistic about this whole thing now if it carries on like that and they get to grill people properly under oath and stuff while the IC does it's work too.

It's also very educational for people to have it laid out like this and discussions on how to counter act it down the line. I wonder if that is deliberate so when they bring the hammer down, people understand it's not some conspiracy against the Trump administration or Republicans. Country first .

Gordon stated that Trump pushed for the policy change. They initially denied it.

Don't forget Trump publicly called Russia to hack Clinton. He was well aware of their assistance.

You can see it in all his attempts to deflect any investigation.

Yes, I remember. I'm looking at it from a judicial standpoint. If the intent can be proven, fantastic.

theWB27

Was that a decision that came from Manafort though? I can't sit here and tell you that it was an idea that was generated from Trump, which is why I'm not going to sit here and tell you Trump is going to be led away in handcuffs or be impeached.

As much as I hate to say it, unless Manafort or someone else with intimate knowledge turns, it won't be proven.

I'm not a lawyer and don't have to prove how the dots connect. It's hilarious how Trump can involved in this part, but not that other part and it could just be the people under him doing things without his knowledge. The idea doesn't have to generate from Trump...it came from his team and he did nothing to curtail it.

Nah I'm looking at this as a whynotboth.jpg. He knowingly broke the law but also got played by the Russian government by being fed fake news he wanted badly to be true. I'm not saying this is evidence of him being innocent at all.

It can't be both. He fucked up his end of the bargain by his tactics once he got in office. Too blatant with his media and intelligence attacks.

Amusing as the thought is, if a president gets impeached for something other than criminal charges, that bell can't be un-rung
The constitution is very vague about what constitutes high crimes and misdemeanors. It is essentially a political process already, so I think that bell was rung since the beginning.

Amusing as the thought is, if a president gets impeached for something other than criminal charges, that bell can't be un-rung

Well it's a pretty important position so removing someone on the basis of competency isn't the worst idea. There is also an argument to be made for if you didn't have the wherewithal to hold on to your position than maybe you weren't qualified to fill it in the first place.

Realyst

If they can kick Tom Cotton's partisan ass out of the committee, I'll have full confidence that this investigation will be handled correctly.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ok but hopefully they can distinguish between russian meddling and the actual thing

i would hate to see russian trolls becoming scapegoat material to masked actual criminal behaviour in washinton

The seeds for that have been partly sown when they said stuff can appear on your computer that you had nothing to do with. While true, it gives them an easy immediate defense to dismiss any allegations.

I'm not a lawyer and don't have to prove how the dots connect.

You aren't in charge of bringing criminal charges, either. What you and I think is fairly inconsequential, in terms of it being anything other than for or against Trump. We can put pressure on our representatives (hopefully you have better luck, mine have basically told me to fuck off, the Conservative teet must continue to be sucked), but other than that we have to hope that the process is just.

I know that in and of itself doesn't hold a lot of promise for a lot of people here, with police brutality going largely unpunished. Which is why sometimes it's puzzling to me that a lot of people are extremely confident Trump will be taken down by the same people who benefit from a non-Democrat in office. Country should come before party, but not enough Republicans believe that. Not yet. I'm hopeful that changes, but I'm not counting on it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
How do you counter attack? Russia has no free press to use to sow dissent the way Russia can with the Western world's media.

It does not need to be in kind. It can be sanctions both on the country and individuals.

Our current sanctions are affecting them significantly and they are estimated to run out of cash reserves at the end of this year. Which will further depress their economy and standing on the world stage. The drawback is that it will push them into more reckless moves like Crimea in order to bring order.

I know that in and of itself doesn't hold a lot of promise for a lot of people here, with police brutality going largely unpunished. Which is why sometimes it's puzzling to me that a lot of people are extremely confident Trump will be taken down by the same people who benefit from a non-Democrat in office. Country should come before party, but not enough Republicans believe that. Not yet. I'm hopeful that changes, but I'm not counting on it.

The benefit they are getting is drying up. See the various approval ratings.

Our current sanctions are affecting them significantly and they are estimated to run out of cash reserves at the end of this year. Which will further depress their economy and standing on the world stage. The drawback is that it will push them into more reckless moves like Crimea in order to bring order.

When backed into a corner, your opponent can be extremely dangerous. I would expect further moves into Ukraine, based on that Geopolitics theory.

The benefit they are getting is drying up. See the various approval ratings.

It is certainly a good start. No one should take my words as poo-pooing what is happening. I'm very pleased by what has already happened, I wasn't sure it would go this far this fast. I just like to remind everyone to keep your expectations grounded when dealing with Republicans. I was one, I should know. Being wrong is a weakness and must not be allowed to happen.

Surfinn

I'm not a lawyer and don't have to prove how the dots connect. It's hilarious how Trump can involved in this part, but not that other part and it could just be the people under him doing things without his knowledge. The idea doesn't have to generate from Trump...it came from his team and he did nothing to curtail it.

It can't be both. He fucked up his end of the bargain by his tactics once he got in office. Too blatant with his media and intelligence attacks.
It can be. He could still have made knowingly illegal deals with Russians while being played at the same time. They know he's a fool and will believe almost anything because of his willingness to believe in conspiracy theories such as the birther stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom