• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Intel Panel hearing on Russian involvement (3/20, 10am ET, livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesath

I've literally nver seen anyone who supported Bernie Sanders say this, but maybe I'm not in the right circles. I suspect it may be a bit of a strawman.

Has anyone on GAF suggested it non-sarcastically?

I've heard it said, but I'm fairly certain he voted against Trump anyway. When people like the guy I know said shit like that, they're not thinking "what's the worse that could happen?", they're thinking "what's the worst that could happen to me?" And when you're a white dude living in liberal utopias, admittedly not much.

I'd like to have these people sit down with that girl whose father was taken away by ICE officials while he was driving her to school and tell her about how really once it all burns down that things will turn out better for everybody.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The vote would have come down to White Men, and Bernie didn't face any real opposition research from the Clinton Campaign. Bernie would have won Millennials, but he got absolutely demolished among minorities and odds are they wouldn't exactly have been galvanized to get out and vote for him. White Men overall lean Republican. Maybe Sanders weaker stance on Gun Control would have bought him some favor, but I don't see him getting a majority vote in places like Virginia, Florida, and Pennsylvania. The states that he would need to win.

He may have even struggled in Wisconsin and Michigan since Hillary was helped greatly by minority voters in major urban centers.A lot of states that Hillary polled well in leaned way more to the Right than polling indicated they would, and Bernie would have struggled severely in those states--MI, WI, PA, NC, VA, FL, AZ, TX, MO, IA--all probably would have gone for Trump anyway. Older people heavily favor Republicans, and Bernie would have probably done better with millennials, but that's not enough to overcome him getting absolutely stomped by the 35+ crowd.

I'm still not convinced by your thesis, but this thread isn't the place for that kind of debate right now.

The irony is if Bernie had been the nominee, Republicans would have played at being the biggest Russophobes since the days of Reagan. Didn't one of the Congressmen today say it was crazy for the Russians to try to help Republicans, because it was Republicans who were historically anti-Soviet? Exactly! Why are Republicans sticking up for Russia now?

The irony is if Bernie had been the nominee, Republicans would have played at being the biggest Russophobes since the days of Reagan. Didn't one of the Congressmen today say it was crazy for the Russians to try to help Republicans, because it was Republicans who were historically anti-Soviet? Exactly! Why are Republicans sticking up for Russia now?

That's an interesting situation I hadn't fully considered. That would have been hilarious to watch honestly.

Holy.shit.

I had no idea the dossier was the source of that bit......

And weren't large parts of the dossier corroborated? Damn, so the "pee pee tape" could actually exist IRL. Wow.

Thanks guys.
It's amazing how few people have read the dossier
I highly recommend it. Just google PDF Steele dossier and wait till the one from cryptome loads

It is divided into sequential reports each has bullet points then an expansion of each bullet point. The kompromat is described in a way that suggests either Steele or someone he trusted went back to the hotels one in Moscow and one in St. Petersburg and talked to staff to confirm the events.

In one location this wasn't possible as staff had been paid off or removed and in then other case it was. Note the order of events: he heard (as is typical) that putin had files on both candidates Hillary and trump. He heard the Hillary file was limited to recordings of telephone calls she made while on state visits that might be embarrassing as they didn't always match the American PR, but the trump stuff included salacious material and financial material. So he or someone he uses went to the ritz Carleton and got enough confirmation on the party, and that it was freaky enough to be damaging, to put it into the dossier.

If you look at the oligarch trump hung around Russia with and his stupid music video he did, and back stage at miss universe etc etc to imagine trump didn't indulge - after boasting previously on Howard stern about Russian hookers - is bonkers to me. And then to imagine putin didnt take advantage of the opportunity to video trump? In a hotel already wired by his intelligence guys because it is favored by heads of state? to imagine someone like trump acted like a Boy Scout now that's some crazy thinking.

Loxley

Easy, because the man they elected as the face of their party is very, very pro-Russia and they're too spineless to openly argue with him about it.

They were anti-communist, but modern GOP are very pro-authoritarian. Putin is the kind of leader they desperately want.

Zolo

They were anti-communist, but modern GOP are very pro-authoritarian. Putin is the kind of leader they desperately want.

The scary thing is this is true. They want someone who can basically grab power and hold it for the Republican party, especially as the democratic party popularity goes up as younger generations start to take over the older.

Saya

080602_r17440a_p646.jpg

Apparently Roger Stone also has a big tattoo of Nixon on his back. You can't make this up.

Surfinn

Wow just realized something interesting. The only times I've seen the word "cooperation" used in regard to Trump and ties to Russia was today when Comey announced there's an investigation going on and.. In the Steele dossier.

Wow just realized something interesting. The only times I've seen the word "cooperation" used in regard to Trump and ties to Russia was today when Comey announced there's an investigation going on and.. In the Steele dossier.

That's probably just the term used among intelligence officials. Comey during the briefing stated that "collusion" was not a term commonly used in his duties.

wandering

Banned

Eh, I've seen cooperation used in a lot of news stories, including the bombshell NYT one from last month.

That's probably just the term used among intelligence officials. Comey during the briefing stated that "collusion" was not a term commonly used in his duties.

In intelligence circles, 'cooperation' is something you can objectively observe from the outside, any other term speaks to motive and that's far more complex to establish.

Yup. Anyone who thinks Bernie would have crushed Trump is silly mostly for that reason. It probably would have resulted in the lowest minority turn-out since George H.W. Bush in 1988.

I don't believe this. Sanders doing poorly with minorities in a primary against a Clinton doesn't guarantee he'd struggle to get them to the polls in November. Sanders with full democrat backing, Obama campaigning for him heavily, adopting portions of Clinton's civil rights/justice platform, etc? The numbers wouldn't be far off from Clinton's, and he might have even brought out younger minorities at a higher %.

OmniOne

Fake news me if old.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article139695453.html

Mclatchy
WASHINGTON — Federal investigators are examining whether far-right news sites played any role last year in a Russian cyber operation that dramatically widened the reach of news stories — some fictional — that favored Donald Trump's presidential bid, two people familiar with the inquiry say.

Operatives for Russia appear to have strategically timed the computer commands, known as "bots," to blitz social media with links to the pro-Trump stories at times when the billionaire businessman was on the defensive in his race against Democrat Hillary Clinton, these sources said.

The bots' end products were largely millions of Twitter and Facebook posts carrying links to stories on conservative internet sites such as Breitbart News and InfoWars, as well as on the Kremlin-backed RT News and Sputnik News, the sources said. Some of the stories were false or mixed fact and fiction, said the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the bot attacks are part of an FBI-led investigation into a multifaceted Russian operation to influence last year's elections.

Investigators examining the bot attacks are exploring whether the far-right news operations took any actions to assist Russia's operatives. Their participation, however, wasn't necessary for the bots to amplify their news through Twitter and Facebook.

Alex Jones was on Aleksandr Dugin's show. He praised him for being a "real American" and if there are more Americans like him then Russia's perception of the US will change.

Taken from poligaf:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=232485721

Wonder if there's anything behind the tweet. Apparently she's said stuff like this before so it's hard to say?

Just glanced at this this morning: Donald Trump will resign 'soon', says top Democrat Dianne Feinstein

Hinting she might know more than she is able to let on, Ms Feinstein, who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee, replied: “We have a lot of people looking into this. I think he’s going to get himself out.”

She went on to cite several potential conflicts of interests surrounding the Trump business empire, but she declined to say whether she thought the President had done anything that was worthy of impeachment.

“I can’t answer that right now,” she said.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything though. Empty talk, AFAIC.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything though. Empty talk, AFAIC.

It sounds like she's referring to the fact that they will try and pass laws that make Trump and his kids profiting from the office illegal. And she thinks he will resign to continue his dealing rather than stay in office and be a real president.

HotHamBoy

It sounds like she's referring to the fact that they will try and pass laws that make Trump and his kids profiting from the office illegal. And she thinks he will resign to continue his dealing rather than stay in office and be a real president.

That's brilliant if it works.

Carn82

I can see him giving up; he just needs the right context that doesn't make him like a total loser.

rjinaz

If this were coming from Maxine Waters, I might believe it is empty talk, but from Feinstein? Feinstein is briefed on everything, she knows what's coming.

Trump will never willingly resign though. It would have to come down to, jail or resign, it would have to be that direct and they would have to have some very solid evidence. I hope she's right and they have it. Trump doesn't give a shit about conflicts of interest. Integrity of the country also means shit to him.

If this were coming from Maxine Waters, I might believe it is empty talk, but from Feinstein? Feinstein is briefed on everything, she knows what's coming.

I hope so. I'm just trying to keep expectations in check. Saying something like that sounds like there is a degree of certainty, but even getting something like that passed through Congress seems impossible at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom