• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 renewed for a second season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
This was a really fun show. So glad they're letting it continue. The characters are so likable.

Cool, really liked the first season. Kinda fitting they announced it on August 8th.
post #8

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
From what I have read, this show is really bad. I'm surprised they're continuing with it. Then again, they are continuing with Marco Polo which was also pretty bad. Maybe they can turn things around like with Bojack Horseman but I'd rather Netflix spend their money on something else. These projects look really expensive.

Maybe you are reading the reviews of the first couple of episodes because some reviewers had a more positive impression once they saw the entire series. It takes a few episodes to really click and then it just gets better.

I won't deny it has some problems but I really loved it.

Seen 3 episodes so far over a few weeks but not really compelled enough to keep watching. I find the new batch of SyFy shows much, much better which is a weird thing to say.

I'll still finish at some point and happy they got renewed since I like the Wachowskis and this getting renewed doesn't really "shut down" anything else but I don't think this was that great a show, especially with the pedigree of the people behind it. I expected something way, way better from the people who brought me The Matrix.

BahamutPT

I'll be happy if they keep the same pace from S1's second half. I almost gave up by the end of episode 5, but I'm glad I didn't, since it got so much better!

Walpurgis

Banned
Wow, I didn't mean to derail the thread. For people wondering where I heard the show was bad, it was in the OT when the show came out, reviews Metacritic and examples of silly things that happened in the show.

Well you don't have to watch it but you also shouldn't blindly comment on things you haven't seen.

I'm not blindly commenting. I've read about the show and decided that I had read enough to form an opinion. This is a very normal thing for people to do.

Razmos

Seen 3 episodes so far over a few weeks but not really compelled enough to keep watching. I find the new batch of SyFy shows much, much better which is a weird thing to say.

I'll still finish at some point and happy they got renewed since I like the Wachowskis and this getting renewed doesn't really "shut down" anything else but I don't think this was that great a show, especially with the pedigree of the people behind it. I expected something way, way better from the people who brought me The Matrix.
It picks up around episode 4 haha

Sober

Sens8 is actually one of the few shows to justify Netflix's dumb obsession with "no episodes" tv. Marco Polo is especially not one of them.

The writing for this show is complete doo doo, but I guess people give bad shows a pass when they're sex positive and have some gay characters that aren't cartoonish.

Hamlet

From what I have read, this show is really bad. I'm surprised they're continuing with it. Then again, they are continuing with Marco Polo which was also pretty bad. Maybe they can turn things around like with Bojack Horseman but I'd rather Netflix spend their money on something else. These projects look really expensive.

Not really. It does start off a tad slow but gets much better as it continues even if the dialogue can be pretty hokey at times. The cast just grows so much on you.
Plenty of critics liked it also after having watched the full season.
Alan Sepinwall
AV Club
Netflix only gave the first three episodes to reviewers which like Bojack are not exactly their best episodes heh.

It really is the best show Netflix produced imo, It does take a few more episodes to come together then most shows giving the nature of the show but the payoff is there from episode 4 onward, the show plays really well with it's premise which allows for very versatile segments.

Some parts can appear a bit outlandish but I think even those parts work, it is a sci-fi show after all regardless of the many topical issues it touches.

The writing for this show is complete doo doo, but I guess people give bad shows a pass when they're sex positive and have some gay characters that aren't cartoonish.

lolololol

Because "bad writing" isn't subjective at all?

You know that thing I don't like? Well anyone who likes it is a moron!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Wow, I didn't mean to derail the thread. For people wondering where I heard the show was bad, it was in the OT when the show came out, reviews Metacritic and examples of silly things that happened in the show.

Metacritic only shows 1 negative review. Not sure you got "really bad" out of that consensus. Also, some of those reviews are only based on the first 3 episodes and the show gets much better as it goes.

I just said I didn't like a thing, you're the one getting all defensive because someone didn't like the thing you like.

And then you said "people give bad shows a pass" as if your opinion was fact.

I ended up enjoying this show waaaaaaaay more than I expected bad writing aside. I need more psychic orgies and random rocket launchers.

Walpurgis

Banned
Metacritic only shows 1 negative review. Not sure you got "really bad" out of that consensus. Also, some of those reviews are only based on the first 3 episodes and the show gets much better as it goes.

That's not how I interpret Metacritic. A 63 for a TV show is bad and a show in the red is unwatchable. I didn't know that Netflix only gave critics the first 3 episodes. That seems stupid if the first 3 episodes are actually the only bad ones.

duckroll

Sense8 is an interesting show that definitely deserves more seasons. The only real concern should be the cost of the production. In terms of not appealing to everybody, well, that's the entire point of alternative production avenues like Netflix. Glad to see more of it, hope there's a press release with more details soon - like whether they're keeping the same stable of directors, if they're still shooting everything on location, etc.

- J - D -

If nothing else, it's an expensive-looking show, despite not really having much in the way of cgi or other special effects.

Tomita

Yeees

Now give me less Will/Riley and more Sun and Van Damme please. And for god sakes, give Kala more of a story besides INDIAN MARRIAGE bs. At least she and Wolfgang are cute.

Good news. The first season had a lot of issues, but there was plenty of promise there as well.

Plus I could look at Brian J. Smith all day every day.

El Topo

This is absolutely fantastic news. Great show and I'm happy we'll get another season. Have been waiting for this news for weeks.

Razmos

Yeees

Now give me less Will/Riley and more Sun and Van Damme please. And for god sakes, give Kala more of a story besides INDIAN MARRIAGE bs. At least she and Wolfgang are cute.
She did have more of a story than that. The marriage was just a framework to connect her to the real point of her plot which was about religion and secularization, it just took a while to get going and the first season finished just as it started getting somewhere.

Denton

First season of Babylon 5 was rough, and it ended up being one of the best shows ever made in any genre.

If Sense8 gets good even in its first season, then I have no doubt JMS and Wachowski will continue making something special. Glad it continues.
That said, I kinda don't want to watch it until all seasons are out..I bingewatched B5 this way and it was glorious.

jgwhiteus

Really glad for this - the show really grew on me as the season went on, and by the end I'd grown to appreciate all the characters and their story-lines. Yeah some of the dialogue and pacing needed work, but hopefully now that they've got a lot of exposition out of the way the second season will be a bit tighter.

I'm not blindly commenting. I've read about the show and decided that I had read enough to form an opinion. This is a very normal thing for people to do.

Metacritic:
Generally favorable reviews

Most people in the OT liked or loved it. So maybe you already had an opinion and wanted it validated. :p

Best original show ever on Netflix, imo. Cant wait for more.

Awesome. This might be my favorite Second favorite Netflix original with house of cards and oitnb having mediocre seasons. There is a lot of potential for the show but it could also easily go off the rails.

gdt

First season of Babylon 5 was rough, and it ended up being one of the best shows ever made in any genre.

If Sense8 gets good even in its first season, then I have no doubt JMS and Wachowski will continue making something special. Glad it continues.
That said, I kinda don't want to watch it until all seasons are out..I bingewatched B5 this way and it was glorious.

I'm not sure if JMS has another B5 in him though. It'd be ok if he doesn't. B5 is as good as TV gets.

Everything he's done after B5 hasn't been that great really.

LaNaranja

Awesome. Absolutely GOAT tier quality. I was really worried it would get canceled. Why you gotta play with my emotions Netflix?

wPIAZqC.gif

An-Det

That's fantastic news. The first season had some issues but it was overall worth the watch. Definitely looking forward to its return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom