• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 renewed for a second season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakoo

Will anything actually happen in S2?

I can't be the only one who thought it was just a turgid exercise in self indulgence by Lana Wachowski, trying to work out his/her anger issues at being born in the wrong body, or something along those lines.

I know, crazy that a creator would create art based on their own experience!

It's clear you didn't stick with the show, as that storyline was resolved about halfway through the beginning of the series. I thought Nomi's gender dysphoria and experience with transitioning made complete sense and explained why she was one of the first Sensates to come to grips with the experience entirely.

I can annoyed get when issue-of-the-day items get shoehorned into entertainment, but Nomi's character was woven into the lore of the universe very organically. Sense8 deserves a lot of credit for showing so many different walks of life and seamlessly painting a portrait of the human experience.

TDLink

I think ultimately the stuff with Nomi worked even if it was blatantly shoehorned in by Lana. I don't think it worked as well as all the other characters, but still worked. It is cool to get that unique perspective on a show, from someone who has that personal experience. That said, as far as the non-straight characters go I enjoyed the Lito stuff much more. In fact he was my favourite character/story on the entire show. Some on the Nomi stuff was in fact a tad preachy and that took me out of the show. It was also unnecessarily over the top at times with stuff like the wet rainbow colored strap on. It sucks because stuff like that has put off several people I've tried to get into the show.

Jakoo

It was also unnecessarily over the top at times with stuff like the wet rainbow colored strap on. It sucks because stuff like that has put off several people I've tried to get into the show.

Let's be honest though. If it wasn't the rainbow colored strap on that turned someone off, it would have been the
orgy scene
or the
eight subsequent birthing scenes
. I'm glad this show wore what it was trying to be on it's sleeve.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I just watched the first episode of season 1. Tedious and pretentious is how I'd summarize it. Does this series get better?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I just watched the first episode of season 1. Tedious and pretentious is how I'd summarize it. Does this series get better?

No it's awful.

But there is an awesome Korean lady who is like the best character ever... I watched the entire season because of that.

TDLink

Let's be honest though. If it wasn't the rainbow colored strap on that turned someone off, it would have been the
orgy scene
or the
eight subsequent birthing scenes
. I'm glad this show wore what it was trying to be on it's sleeve.

Maybe but those are later in the series after you already have invested in the characters and story rather than the first episode. Honestly I found those sequences less out of place as well since they involved all of the sensates simultaneously and that in and of itself contributed to something that influenced and affected the entire cluster

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
One thing about this show that's hilarious... you can tell they're trying to be progressive, and yet it's just a long parade of stereotypes.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Yes, it takes a couple of episodes to get a feel for the show and the characters. If you still don't like it by the end of say episode 4 I'd say it's not for you.

Hari Seldon

I got 30 mins into the first episode and deleted it from my queue in disgust. I guess it gets better? But the first impression was fucking terrible.

styl3s

This is fantastic news.

I only watched up to Episode 5 because i started to really, really get into it and from all the negative things people were saying about it i feared it would get canceled so i bailed out before a cancellation would of ruined my day. Will give me something to do on the way to the beach next week.

klaushm

That is some freaking fantastic news.

It had a good ending with questions hanging. It could be awesome, or could be Heroes. Please, don't >.<

One thing about this show that's hilarious... you can tell they're trying to be progressive, and yet it's just a long parade of stereotypes.
I think that is a fair criticism, though I think the purpose of leaning into stereotypes was to paint a familiar initial picture of the characters as a sort of shorthand for the audience to jump into.

I suspect, given this is also a JMS show, the second phase is to take the familiar and shift the characters in unexpected directions as they share experiences. In other words, the stereotypes are an easy point of reference to be subverted as the character develop and fill in the gaps. You see this a bit with characters being exposed to new sexual experiences, or exposing Kala to the extreme violent nature of her love interest.

Also this is great news. The first season was messy and cheesy, but very fun and interesting to watch. I definitely wanna see where they take it, but I hope they continue to emphasize the characters over the plot (which is set up to be kinda dull in comparison).

tauroxd

I cannot be more happy about this! I really loved the show, it is not perfect, it has a slow start but they did everything with so much love and care that it's impossible not to fall in love with the show. After episode 3 it does get better and it really pay off and the end.

And I really recommend watching the mini making of to anyone who finished the season, such a good insight into the series.

Ushay

Best news!

tumblr_nsj8x2pLXa1qkz0a3o1_250.gif

By the far the best scene in the series. Lito's reaction cemented it.

P.S. Van Damn always comes back.

P.P.S. Crush your enemies, see them driven before you. Obiligatory Wolfgang quote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom