• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 renewed for a second season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
Most people in the OT liked or loved it. So maybe you already had an opinion and wanted it validated. :p

Best original show ever on Netflix, imo. Cant wait for more.

As I said above, 63 is not a good score for a TV series on Metacritic just like a 75 is not a good score for games on Metacritic. That "generally favourable reviews" tag is meaningless.

Reception from the OT ranged from mixed to lukewarm from what I saw. Just like everyone else, I had an opinion before the show premiered because (bad) reviews came out before the show premiered. I wasn't looking to have it validated though. Metacritic would have been enough for that.

Pancho

Qurupancho
As I said above, 63 is not a good score for a TV series on Metacritic just like a 75 is not a good score for games on Metacritic. That "generally favourable reviews" tag is meaningless.

Reception from the OT ranged from mixed to lukewarm from what I saw. Just like everyone else, I had an opinion before the show premiered because (bad) reviews came out before the show premiered. I wasn't looking to have it validated though. Metacritic would have been enough for that.

Just maybe give it a go and don't rely on scores much? You miss out on a lot when you rely heavily on random points that people on the internet award to things.

Grazzt

Yes! So glad it get renewed. It's definitely one of the best shows on Netflix and I enjoyed the first season very much.

Brilliant news. I had a lot of criticize in the first few episodes (it felt cliche, contrived and pandering), but ended up being completely rivetted right to the end.

It is daring, provocative; it breaks from a lot of conventions in pacing and storytelling, finding interesting ways to communicate character development.

Aiii

So not worth it

An 82 user score, however, IS good.

Reception from the OT was actually pretty damn good, because the show over 10 episode is pretty damn great. Which, of course, was intentional. The show builds slow to an epic conclusion and, in the end, pays off the build to it.

The problem with critic reviews is two-fold.
1. They're just opinions based heavily on personal preference, as with anyone. Just because someone is a critic doesn't make them the God of analysis. In fact, most of these critics are just people like you and me, who happen to be good (or at least, decent) at writing. Aggregate scores are in itself not useful, better to find a few writers whose tastes match yours, then go to metacritic, see an aggregate score and go "well, it must suck then."
2. TV Show reviews in particular are often based on the first few episode of a series, which is a terrible way to judge a show. Often, a show is still finding itself in the first few episode, establishing the world and the characters. Many shows don't get great until mid-season. This goes especially for weekly episodic shows. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. sucked so bad in its first half season many people (including me) gave up on it. But I'll be damned if that show didn't become tons better midway through. Stargate Universe, same thing. Buffy The Vampire Slayer's first season is peanuts compared to the S2 and beyond. I could go on listing many others, but you get what I'm trying to say.
Sense8 and many other Netflix shows are even worse off in this manner, given how they're written differently. They don't need to worry about ratings over a single episode, they don't have to build each episode to a climax and have contained single episode storylines. Sense8 has one storyline that is laid out over 10 hours of TV, judging it on three episodes is like reading Lord of the Rings up to Tom Bombadil and then slamming it for being a boring story about some little people living in the forest that go on a little walk.

Either way, Sense8 might, or might not, be a show you enjoy. Many people love the show, as is evidenced by this thread, the user ratings and full season reviews. There's no guarantee you'll like it, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not give it a go if the premise interests you.

rexor0717

Probably my favorite netflix show so I'm very happy to hear there'll be more to watch. I just really hope there isn't too much evil organization stuff. That was the least interesting part to me.

Gaz_RB

Probably my favorite netflix show so I'm very happy to hear there'll be more to watch. I just really hope there isn't too much evil organization stuff. That was the least interesting part to me.

Yeah, made the last episode kind of weak for me. Loved the interpersonal stuff though.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Good show, has a ton of potential. As an amateur photographer I'm impressed with the very high production, diverse, and consistent composition. Then again it is the Wachowskis; great to have top film talent be unchained both in censorship and length with Netflix/HBO.

Wait, this turned out to be good? I thought the first few episodes were crap?

Quick, I must know whether to trust you or not: Lost and Arrow, good shows?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The show takes a while to click but it does mid-season. There's a bit of sappy character development that some people may not prefer, but it's a really good concept. Sort of like Matrix and Cloud Atlas mixed together, and I'd say the story may be a projection of how the Wachowskis sort of work as a single person.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Very happy with this, not only is this a good show but also an important show. It could educate a lot of people on some important shit.

Tomita

She did have more of a story than that. The marriage was just a framework to connect her to the real point of her plot which was about religion and secularization, it just took a while to get going and the first season finished just as it started getting somewhere.

I know her story isn't 100% about the marriage, and the religious parts of her character were really interesting to explore. And her badass science moments at the end were great...though also felt sort of shoehorned in. They were awesome, but where were those moments before? And, at the end of the day, it's still an Indian character in a Western story angsting about her marriage. They changed some of the details (it's not an arranged marriage, she's not forced into it, she's making her choices herself) but...that doesn't change how trite it is. Just like how Sun is yet another magical Asian martial artist--and I love her badass fighting scenes. Every time. They were great! But that's still stereotypical. And sure, she's a boxer, not a karate/kung fu master. It's still treated like she's the magic Asian martial artist.

Also, going back to Kala, holy shit at her fiance being named Rajan. I swear every single Indian boyfriend I've seen in Western TV has to be named Raja. Thank goodness they added an N at the end of this guy's name to be different.
This is anecdotal as fuck so I'm kind of kidding. Maybe Raja is the Indian version of John. It's ... still kind of dumb that it's used so often, though, with so many different names out there. Oh well. :B

If they give these characters more things to do, then that would be a great improvement. I understand the writers have so much to do with eight main characters, so I do cut some slack while hoping season two gets better.

Was hoping it'd get a second season. Like others I also was down on the show the first 3-4 episodes. Powering past that though it got a lot better and by the end of it I was looking forward to a second season.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Glad to hear they finally pulled the trigger. Not that it was particularly unexpected, but it seems they had more to consider or work out than with most Netflix renewals.

Obrek

Banned
Season 1 was really slow. I assumed from the beginning it was designed to be a slow build up and continued with at least a season 2 because I could tell there was going to be next to zero plot resolution by the first 6 episodes.

Didn't think I would be too into the premise and yes, it can be super pretentious, mostly because of
Jonas
. Ended up really enjoying it, super excited for season 2.

Also the best moment of the show was OBVIOUSLY
Wolfgang and Lito's team up
anything else is nonsense :p

tomtom94

The vast majority of the Metacritic reviews were based on the first 3 episodes, whilst most fans agree that you need to watch more than that (especially episode 4). There have been quite a few thinkpieces about how Netflix and Amazon shows might require different approaches from reviewers because they tend to pace themselves differently (since they have no need to hook the viewer really early on).

See also Bojack Horseman and how it's gotten MUCH better reviews for season 2.

Personally I think those two are pretty bad. How is that a parameter though?
I think they're pretty crappy shows, so basically if somebody that liked those is praising another show, I know it's likely that I won't share their opinion so I stay clear of it.
'the first few episodes were crap' --- partly true
Things got much better after ep4
So 3 out of how many episodes are crap? I this what, 12 episodes?

Nesotenso

The writing on this show was extremely weak and I never found the reaction of the sensates to the stuff happening around them plausible.

Tomita

I think they're pretty crappy shows, so basically if somebody that liked those is praising another show, I know it's likely that I won't share their opinion so I stay clear of it.

So 3 out of how many episodes are crap? I this what, 12 episodes?

Basically, the show is about the characters. The science fiction, the plot? No one cares. It's all about the characters and their relationships. There's also basically eight main characters. You could argue Will or Nomi are the main character for the first half the show, but the show really focuses on all eight, and getting to know eight people and all their quirks/relationships/problems takes time. So that's why everyone says "it takes 3-4 episodes for it to get good!" That's about how long it takes to really get into every character. It's not that the first episodes are crap so much as the show takes a while to build up. The pace is slow.

If you try the show and you can't make yourself give a shit about any of the eight main players after a few episodes? Then the show probably isn't for you. Again, don't watch it for the science fiction. It barely matters.

And btw I don't like Lost or Arrow.

Will anything actually happen in S2?

I can't be the only one who thought it was just a turgid exercise in self indulgence by Lana Wachowski, trying to work out his/her anger issues at being born in the wrong body, or something along those lines.

I can't be the only one who thought it was just a turgid exercise in self indulgence by Lana Wachowski, trying to work out his/her anger issues at being born in the wrong body, or something along those lines.

Nope... that's what I got out of it too.
Well, that and the German guy was excellent.

munchie64

I mean I suppose, but that doesn't mean it's not good to me.

LaNaranja

She is a her.

Anyway, this season was a tad slow but it felt very deliberate in order to make you feel attached to each of the characters. After the first season you have a good sense of who everyone is. I assume they will be able to hit the ground running with season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom