• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seven superhero films drop in 2017. Place your bets on which ones hit Box Office Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Guardians (safe bet, as long as it maintains quality of 1)
2. Justice League (really depends on how it is 2nd is a safe bet)
3. Spiderman (does well but fatigue potential is there)
4. Wonder Woman (unless its shit the name and curiosity carries it)
5. Logan
6. Thor(MCU and Hulk keep it from last but it struggles based on the previous reception)
7. Lego Batman

Mortemis

Banned
Hmm, usually wrong on these but here it goes:

Spiderman > Guardians > Justice League > Thor > Logan > Wonder Woman > Lego Batman

Some of you people not putting JL in the top 2 are nuts. It might have a 10% on RT but it will still make a shitton of dough.

I no longer think this is true. If BvS couldn't, then this has a higher climb. I expect WW to be about the same as the first Cap, which was lukewarm, so no excitement or build-up.

I expect it to be soundly beaten by Spidey and Guardians at the least, if it only gets to 750 WW, that Thors striking range.

border

Isn't 'super powered beings defending humanity from super powered villains' the definition of superhero movie?

If that is your definition of a superhero movie, then this list also needs to include Transformers, Valerian, and Ghost in the Shell.

yuraya

I really want Wonder Woman to do the best as it would do wonders for future female superhero movies but it most likely won't happen.

1) Justice League
2) Spider-Man
3) Guardians
4) WW
5) Logan
6) Thor
7) Lego Fatman

kswiston

Justice League probably has the best release slot on this list. The only slot that is arguably better is the beginning of May, held by Guardians 2.

Guardians will take the crown, Justice League will probably do really well unless it's somehow even worse than Batman v Superman, then Spider-Man.

blakep267

I don't have the highest hopes for Spider-Man. I don't think it's going to be bad, but I don't think it's gonna be crazy either

Also I think people are really underestimating Justice league. It's gonna get 700-800 million easily and if it's actually good, it could top 1 billion. Also it has the best date. 2 weeks after Thor and the thanksgiving holiday to itself basically

1. Guardians
2. Justice league
3. Spider man
4. Logan
5. Thor
6. Wonderwoman( I don't even think it's gonna bomb. But 500-600 million still puts it on the bottom. And it has the most competition)

Copying what I posted in another thread.

Financially

GOTG
Justice League.
Spider-Man
Wonder Woman
Thor
Logan

Although now I think Logan and Thor could switch places. Overall I think the top 3 are set in stone. It's the last 3 I'm not so sure of.

I'm betting it all on Spiderman winning it big and Guardians in close second.

Is it sad that I think Thor and Justice League is about even

Zubz

Banned
GotG is going to bank the most by far due to the first one's success but Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, & Justice League are probably going to do great, as well. I'm hit or miss on Power Rangers, & wholeheartedly expect Thor to flop. Or at least the Marvel equivalent of a flop (Which is still selling gangbusters).

carlsojo

Guardians wins all, Spider is a close second.

Wonder Woman flops. Justice League does average. No idea about Rangers.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Guardians will be huge for sure. I jope Logan does well too.
Dont care for the rest

Jigorath

Banned
Guardians 2 will make an easy billion. Justice League will probably do worse than BvS. I'm not really sure about about Spider-Man and Thor 3. Spidey's gonna be teaming up with Iron Man and Thor's hanging out with Hulk so we'll see what that does for the box office.

And LEGO Batman didn't catch on with audiences at all huh. At least Logan is doing great.

Spider-Man or Justice League, but I definitely wouldn't write off Guardians, which might actually be a safe bet to beast Justice League.

I feel like all of those are going to make serious bank except WW. IF what I read of the leak is remotely true, the reviews will likely be mediocre at best and I have a feeling it's going to top off around $400-$500 million.

I'm going with

Guardians 2
Justice League
Spider-Man
Thor 3 Thor the Dark World 2
Logan
Wonder Woman
Power Rangers
Lego Batman

I'd put Spider-man over Justice League but that is some really tough competition, and Justice League won't have anything until Star Wars and whatever the ends of Thor look like. Wonder Woman is the one I'm most unsure about. It also has some heavy competition with Pirates, Tom Cruise and Cars, but it could come out and be the surprise hit of the summer at the same time, and demolish the more well-trod territory around it. Or it could flop. I'll be interested to see what happens, but I'm sure it won't have much to do with the critical reception. I'm also not sure if Lego Batman or Power Rangers is the bottom, but I'm taking a stab at Lego Batman being it.

There shouldn't be much of a need to explain Guardians. Yet this

- Major competition includes King Arthur in weekend #2

is hilarious to me. Guardians should clean up nicely.

error4041

1. Guardians
2. Justice League
3. Spider-Man
4. Thor
5. Logan
6. Wonder Woman
7. Lego Batman

Top 3 are pretty much set, though Spidey and Justice League could switch depending on reception, Wonder Woman could jump to #4 ahead of Thor and Logan, but Thor should stay ahead of Logan assuming the market the fact that it's a Thor and Hulk buddy film.

Things could be differently Domestically though.

If someone told me 5 years ago that Guardians of the Galaxy will make more money than Justice League or Wonder Woman movie, I would have eaten liquid adamantium.
Me 5 years ago,i hope Avengers movie in May will be great, really want to see them all together. Marvel is really taking a huge risk here. I wish they can make a GotG movies but I guess the risk of that will be even higher.

Fake edit

I lied, no way can I imagine a GotG movie if there was no rumours then (can't remember).

Real edit

I can't remember how what was the reaction to the announcement of GotG on Gaf like. I think BVS announcement have more hype than GotG.

On topic,

I think Thor the darkest world will surprise and exceed expectation. I am most hyped for this plus GoTG this year and they have not shown any real footage for the movie lol.

Box office Ranking for the movies that I will watch sooner or late but are not out yet.

GotG 2
SM MCU
JL (may fare worst if WM is bad)
Thor 3
WM (may fare better if it's good)

Hooked on a Feeling 2 electric boogaloo
Snyder League
Underoos x Uncle Tony
Old Man
ThorHulk Brofist
Fabulous Female
Lego Bats Playset
Only 90's kids will watch this movie

1. Guardians
2. Spider-Man
3. Justice League
4. Logan
5. Thor
6. Lego Batman
7. Wonder Woman

I'll go one further and say that based on how well people like them the rankings would look like this;

1. Guardians
2. Logan
3. Lego Batman
4. Wonder Woman
5. Spider-Man
6. Thor
7. Justice League

Guardians>>Spider-Man>>Justice League Domestic

world wide it will be Spider-man>>Guardians>>Justice League. Spider man is huge world wide

Guardians 2 will be the highest grossing, with SM Homecoming, Justice League, and Thor: Ragnarok being next. Not sure about Wonder Woman, depending on how much WB / DC screw-it-up, and maybe it turns out okay, I could see it grossing at least 600m.

dLMN8R

Just FYI we had this thread already from before any of this year's movies started coming out:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332838

So you might want to merge the answers from there here.

Anyway, I completely stand by what I said in that thread:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will not just be the most successful superhero movie of the year by far, it will be in the top-3 of all superhero movies ever.

I've never seen such a positive reaction to a trailer from an audience to a non-superhero movie - in multiple different showings.

The first was a massive hit, the second looks even better in all the best ways, and it'll hit a much more diverse audience than any of the other superhero movies.

TDLink

I'm going with Guardians 2. The competition stinks and it has high potential to do well just on its own given how popular the first one was. Spidey in theory has the higher potential, especially with throwing Iron Man in there, but the competition in its release period is much tougher.

Logan is probably going to make a pretty nice profit since I'm pretty sure it's lower budget and yet is performing almost as well as the much bigger budget releases.

I think people are going to be more wary of DC movies at this point, though JL still has potential for a big pull. Wonder Woman is the only one this year I see doing pretty awful.

1. Guardian of the Galaxy 2
2. Spider-Man
3. Justice League
4. Thor: Ragnarok
(> $750M WW)
5. Logan
6. Wonder Woman
7. Power Rangers
(> $350M WW)
8. The Lego Batman Movie

I really want to put Thor above JL, but I just know that the DC fans will come out in full force for this one. Marketing will be absolutely everywhere, and good or bad, everyone will want to see it just because it seems to be the thing to do (much like BvS).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Guardians and Spidey seem to be the ones that could be a toss up, followed up JL.

WW will make the least from the unreleased and Lego Batman will make the least from both released and unreleased. Lego Batman didn't make that much, I thought for sure it would be a bigger hit.

kurahador

Guardian 2 > WW > Spiderman > Ragnarok > Justice League > Logan > Power Rangers > LEGO Batman

I think WW will benefit from the novelty of female superhero if WB push it hard.
Power Rangers will be a disappointment critically and affect it BO badly due to the busy release week.

DeathyBoy

Banned
One two of BvS and Suicide Squad couldn't bring DCEU box office below 600 million worldwide. And ya'll seriously think fucking Logan is going to outgross either of them? Glorious.

But as it stands.

1) GOTG 2
2) Spider-Man: Homecoming.
3) JL
4) WW
5) Thor 3 (guys, you can throw Hulk at it all you want but Thor's bump from The Avengers showed there's a cut-off to his potential audience.)
6) Logan
7) Power Rangers.

One two of BvS and Suicide Squad couldn't bring DCEU box office below 600 million worldwide. And ya'll seriously think fucking Logan is going to outgross either of them? Glorious.

We all got opinions, but personally I think WW takes the hit from the 1-2 of BvS & SS.
Theater turnout won't surpass expectations (whatever those may be) yet still net a good B.O. for a superhero blockbuster worldwide (I'm thinking around $600M WW).
JL will be the hyped up leap of faith for audiences that skipped out on WW in theaters

on the other end I think Logan edges out WW, or at least grosses really close to it.

Just FYI we had this thread already from before any of this year's movies started coming out:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332838

So you might want to merge the answers from there here.

Anyway, I completely stand by what I said in that thread:

and what's funny is the 1st reply in that thread is linking to the same thread from 1 month earlier....
Didn't we just have this thread or am I misremembering?

Yep: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324204

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom