• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seven superhero films drop in 2017. Place your bets on which ones hit Box Office Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these movies will make hundreds of millions. I guess the only real wildcard to me is whether GotG V2 makes more or less than its predecessor (I'm going for slightly less) and whether Wonder Woman makes enough to be an unqualified success.

I think Guardians 2 is going to make more than the first film. A lot of people hopped on the first one late due to great word of mouth.

icespide

Banned
Deadpool out grossed BvS? Since when?

Also Civil War is an Avengers movie, c'mon now lol

Deadpool domestic total: $363,070,709 http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=deadpool2016.htm

BvS domestic: $330,360,194 http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2015.htm

worldwide BvS just barely outgrossed Deadpool, which is still something

Sure okay Civil War is an Avengers movie I guess, but even back in early 2016 the idea of a movie starring Captain America and Iron Man outgrossing a freaking Batman Superman movie was laughable

Ducarmel

Spiderman
GOTG 2
PR
JL
Logan
WW
Lego
Thor

I hope Power Rangers does well maybe we will get more non Marvel/DC superhero movies or something even more out there like a Gargoyles or Calamity Jane movie.

Ahasverus

huh? why do you say that? he's gotten nothing but praise
Eh, the trailer has a really mediocre view count, I think it's near Wonder Woman levels even. (Edit: It's at less) It's not taking the world by storm that's for sure.
Sure okay Civil War is an Avengers movie I guess, but even back in early 2016 the idea of a movie starring Captain America and Iron Man outgrossing a freaking Batman Superman movie was laughable
By early 2006 maybe, by early 2016 it was almost set in stone.

Ahasverus

I dunno man just take a gander at some of the earlier pages of this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1192721
Well there was some doubt (I too thought BvS was going to pass a billion) but we didn't in our wildest dreams think BvS was going to be an editing mess that would end up being worse recieved than MoS. I certainly didn't. But CW was a guaranteed billion too, and after you cross that mark, the only way is up!

J_Viper

Deadpool domestic total: $363,070,709 http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=deadpool2016.htm

BvS domestic: $330,360,194 http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2015.htm

worldwide BvS just barely outgrossed Deadpool, which is still something

Domestic, last year.

Oh I see, I thought we were talking only about WW numbers, my fault.

And I don't think it was to crazy to consider that a third Avengers film, with Spider-Man in tow, could do better than the follow up to MoS, which didn't set the world on fire, even with Batman. Remember, TDKR was already down from TDK.

Schlorgan

Quality (RT score)
1. GotG 2
2. Spiderman
3. Thor
4. Logan
5. WW
6. Batman Lego
7. Justice League
8. PR
Lego Batman has 91% on RT. So 92%+ for WW, Spider-Man and Thor?

I would say 48% for WW, 81% for Spider-Man and 83% for Thor (off the top of my head).

blanchot

does anyone feel like their is an oversaturation of these movies? having said that it is surprising how the hype for superhero movies have sustained--going by the box office figures.

Ahasverus

does anyone feel like their is an oversaturation of these movies? having said that it is surprising how the hype for superhero movies have sustained--going by the box office figures.
There is oversaturation of bland superhero movies.

There is no oversaturation of quality superhero movies such as Logan.

Both Marvel and DC should start taking notes.

Litan

There is oversaturation of bland superhero movies.

There is no oversaturation of quality superhero movies such as Logan.

Both Marvel and DC should start taking notes.

Last I checked, both Marvel films and Deadpool reviewed well last year. DC's the only one who should be taking notes.

Ahasverus

Last I checked, both Marvel films and Deadpool reviewed well last year. DC's the only one who should be taking notes.
See how long that lasts. Both of them were released in an age of optimism. The next years will get the social message bubbling up. People are already saying Doctor Strange was a spoonful of sugar and nothing else, more cinematic candy won't cut it very soon.

DC is another beast, they had the right idea with BvS, but the execution was flawed. Suicide Squad.. a mess trying to out-Marvel Marvel. Their next batch of movies is going to be very inoffensive, which I find ironic and kinda sad, given that the market will start asking for just the opposite. Just see the reaction to Logan.

Deadpool was a quality movie.

Litan

See how long that lasts. Both of them were released in an age of optimism. The next years will get the social message bubbling up. People are already saying Doctor Strange was a spoonful of sugar and nothing else, more cinematic candy won't cut it very soon.

DC is another beast, they had the right idea with BvS, but the execution was flawed. Suicide Squad.. a mess trying to out-Marvel Marvel. Their next batch of movies is going to be very inoffensive, which I find ironic and kinda sad, given that the market will start asking for just the opposite. Just see the reaction to Logan.

Deadpool was a quality movie.

Dude...age of optimism has nothing to do with how the movies were received.
Logan is a good movie. That's it.
Nothing to do with political climates, or people not liking their heroes deconstructed, or movies being too deep or any of the other myriad of excuses that keep being spouted.

Skux

You are all forgetting about Fate of the Furious. It might as well be a comic book with the crazy shit they do in those films.

1. Spider-Man ($1.1 billion worldwide)
2. Justice League ($975 million worldwide, 36% RT)
3. Guardians ($865 million worldwide)
4. Thor ($750 million worldwide)
5. Wonder Woman ($700 million worldwide)
6. Logan
7. Lego Batman

Arc

I know Power Rangers looks and smells like a bomb, but I think it could surprise people.

I was in Target yesterday and there was a toy aisle absolutely plastered in Power Rangers stuff. Add the nostalgia piece (which has made us look like fools time and time again) and I feel like it could get to $400MM.

The movie will probably suck though.

I'm starting to think JL or Spiderman might actually take the top spot over Guardians when looking at Guardians 1's gross. I overestimated that movie's popularity. Prolly just projecting because I found it to be the most charming mcu film since iron man and also the big hype around it on GAF. Domestic it will be big but I'm not sure if it's international take will put it over JL or Spider-Man

plus this isn't a superhero movie but I'm pretty curious to see Pirates 5's gross. I think it has a good chance to be the biggest movie of the year until Star Wars hits.

Litan

I know Power Rangers looks and smells like a bomb, but I think it could surprise people.

I was in Target yesterday and there was a toy aisle absolutely plastered in Power Rangers stuff. Add the nostalgia piece (which has made us look like fools time and time again) and I feel like it could get to $400MM.

The movie will probably suck though.

Even as someone who watched a lot of Power Rangers as a kid, I have no idea what to expect from that movie. Do people still care about the franchise in 2017? Maybe nostalgia will make it a hit. I don't know...

DJChuy

Spider-Man has Iron Man in it which will give it a big boost. That's my pick.

Spider-Man > Guardians of the Galaxy 2 > Justice League

J_Viper

2. Justice League ($975 million worldwide, 36% RT)

If JL misses with the critics, there's no way it earns that close to a billion.

Though I guess Transformers 5 will be the final test to see if movies are still review-proof and can hit a billion despite a critical beating.

Schlorgan

Though I guess Transformers 5 will be the final test to see if movies are still review-proof and can hit a billion despite a critical beating.

I'm actually thinking that The Last Knight may review a lot better than the last ones but perform worse anyway.

Transformers films are an anomaly as their fall in the US has been counteracted by a rise in China, so unless it starts falling off there I could still see it hitting $1B.

Parch

Lego Batman was meh, but I didn't like the first Lego movie either.

Power Rangers is just going to be a niche audience.

DC live action movies have to prove themselves first. A lot of people will be waiting for reviews before venturing down that road again.

Marvel movies will continue to roll. Audiences will have no hesitation to see all of them.

LosDaddie

Banned
Justice League
Spider-Man
GotG 2

Those would be my guesses for the Top 3 BO performers this year. I honestly don't see JL doing any worse than BvS. Spider-Man is Spider-Man, the most marketable comic icon on the planet.

As far as my personal Top 3
Thor 3
Lego Batman
Justice League

Those are the 3 CBMs I can't wait to see. Lego Batman was everything I hoped it would be.

kswiston

57%, 19%, 35%, 18%

I think The Last Knight may be the first Fresh one (even if it's just 61%)

I misread your post and didn't see the "last ones" was plural.

I doubt that The Last Knight will be fresh though. It's still a Michael Bay movie, and he's only had one fresh movie in his entire career (The Rock)

Schlorgan

I misread your post and didn't see the "last ones" was plural.

I doubt that The Last Knight will be fresh though. It's still a Michael Bay movie, and he's only had one fresh movie in his entire career (The Rock)
I'm just really curious to see what new writers could do for that franchise, especially ones that have Black Hawk Down and Iron Man on their resumés (even if they don't have much else of note).

kswiston

So we finally have a full trailer for Justice League (which has been added to the OP). Anyone changing their expectations?

Logan will finish around $225-230M domestic. Lego Batman is looking like a bit over $175M domestic.

All we need now is a Thor Trailer.

Platy

So we finally have a full trailer for Justice League (which has been added to the OP). Anyone changing their expectations?

I don't think anyone expected a REALLY bad trailer for Justice League.

If anything, the trailers from Snyder's movies are most of the time better than the actual movie

kswiston

I updated the OP with more current info and the Thor 3 trailer. We also have some initial tracking for GOTG2 (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360299) and a very early projection from boxoffice.com for Wonder Woman (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359420)

Anyone want to update their predictions or jump on board before we start getting more of these films released?

Also, everyone who said that Power Rangers would be dead last was right. Even with a decent gross in China/Japan, $200M worldwide is not looking great at the moment.

LEGO Batman will likely be second to last. I can't see any of the remaining films struggling to hit $300M.

It's nuts to me that Lego Batman didn't even clear 200 domestic. I thought it'd beat its predecessor by maybe 30-40 million if everything landed right, but man.

kswiston

Why is fate of the furious not included in this?

Because we have to make it a fair competition.

That said, I could see the remaining superhero films all beating F8's domestic gross. Wonder Woman might be on the iffy side. I would have said Thor as well a month ago, but that trailer seems to be hitting the right notes. None of them have any chance of beating F8 overseas.

It'll outgross all of them, except for maybe Spidey 3. And I think it'll pass that too.

I'm curious because the Spider-Man films have experienced a downward trajectory barring Spider-Man 3's big WW bump. Of course, this has the Marvel Universe behind it, but one has to wonder.

Its competition will be interesting since Transformers 5 will be in its third week while Despicable me 3 will be on its second, then War of the Planet of the Apes will release a week after homecoming and then Dunkirk two weeks from then.

kswiston

I'm curious because the Spider-Man films have experienced a downward trajectory barring Spider-Man 3's big WW bump. Of course, this has the Marvel Universe behind it, but one has to wonder.

Its competition will be interesting since Transformers 5 will be in its third week while Despicable me 3 will be on its second, then War of the Planet of the Apes will release a week after homecoming and then Dunkirk two weeks from then.

Spider-man didn't have much drop off overseas. If Homecoming can recoup some of the lost ground domestically, and receive a modest bump overseas (versus Amazing 2), at least a #2 finish in the franchise shouldn't be too difficult.

Logan being at a mere 600m after six weeks kind of bums me out a bit. I guess these superhero movies are all going to be really front-loaded and then drop like rocks. See Power Rangers (though we didn't count that one).

kswiston

Logan being at a mere 600m after six weeks kind of bums me out a bit. I guess these superhero movies are all going to be really front-loaded and then drop like rocks. See Power Rangers (though we didn't count that one).

Legs could have been better, but $600M for a film that cost a bit less than $100M is excellent.

kswiston

Guardians 2 is most likely heading towards a $350-375M finish domestically. I would also guess $825-850M worldwide based on business to date.

If you haven't predicted for Wonder Woman yet, you should do so now.

Official tracking last week was $65M.

I am going to be more optimistic and say $90M OW and $220M total domestically. I suspect that Wonder Woman won't have much in the way of legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom