• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seven superhero films drop in 2017. Place your bets on which ones hit Box Office Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a tough call because none has a particularly bad vibe (though JL and to a lesser extent, WW, do have a lot of baggage). They will all make money though maybe Thor's take will be a little less considering how the Thor films somehow end up being the least satisfying MCU films (IMHO)

I'll go with GotG 2, Spiderman, Justice League, Logan, Wonder Woman, Thor and Lego Batman. The eventual quality will have a benefit or a cost as well (so if JL is another Snyderstinker, then it won't make as much money, and I'll bet a lot of people are just sour on DCCU from, well, all of their films so far).

WB will probably still be disappointed by the box office of JL and WW but they will still make bank, just not MCU level bank.

Platy

I am hoping for Thor, but will probably be Guardians or Justice League.

Also, as it pains me to say as I am a big fan of the comics, Valerian will totaly be this year's Jupiter Ascending

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
  1. Spider-Man
  2. Justice League
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Logan
  5. Thor: Ragnarok
  6. Wonder Woman
  7. Lego Batman

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Guardians could be released any part of the year and outgross the original, but it really got a good slot. King Arthur is not competition, period.
Wonder Woman has rough competition. Not sure what WB was thinking there.

GotG2 - $960 mil
Spidey - $880 mil
Justice League - $810 mil (if reviews are BvS level of poor, I'd estimate this down by a couple of hundred million)
Thor 3 - $770 mil
Logan - $720 mil
Wonder Woman - $550 mil
Lego Batman - (seems like this is already running out of steam) $320 mil
Power Rangers - I have no idea. $210 mil?

I think Justice League is the hardest to predict, because who knows if the quality will be better (I thought BvS would be much better than Man of Steel, but that wasn't the case) and I wonder whether the backlash from BvS and SS will affect its Box Office potential.

Dali

I think they'll all do well except for wonder woman. I've never been a fan and always thought she kinda sucked. From what I've seen so far DC doesn't have the ability to make me want to watch a hero movie about someone that is little known to me, I'm indifferent to, or think they're just plain lame like marvel does. Antman, guardians, even to a lesser agree captain America (didn't really care to see his first movie very much either) marvel has made me want to see their movies.

IHaveIce

Banned
Eventhough I doubt Justice League will be good, it will perform really well.

I think it is a race between JL and GoTG

.la1n

Spider-Man has the biggest name recognition; I would be amazed if it doesn't outgross every other film this year.

Guardians could be released any part of the year and outgross the original, but it really got a good slot. King Arthur is not competition, period.
Wonder Woman has rough competition. Not sure what WB was thinking there.
That was probably the best WB could do considering its original release date was even worse.

Sulik2

My gut says GotG my brain says the last four movies with Ironman in then all grossed over a billion and you are putting him with Spiderman. Hard to think that won't make huge money.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

RT: 90%
Box Office: $1.1B

Wonder Woman

RT: 68%
Box Office: $580M

Spider-Man Homecoming

RT: 83%
Box Office: $900M

Thor Ragnarok

RT: 93%
Box Office: $820M

Justice League

RT: 58%
Box Office: $770M

Power Rangers

RT: 75%
Box Office: $450M

Certinty

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will surely hit over $1b providing it doesn't disappoint.

Spidey could definitely do the same, especially after being in Civil War and Iron Man also being in it.

Thor Ragnarok if good will come close I think purely based on the amount of characters in it as well as leading directly into Infinity War.

No idea what to expect of the DC movies though, can't see Wonder Woman doing overly well and even if Justice League is good I think a lot of people may still be put off from Batman vs Superman.

shira

DCEU
bounty-wag.gif

boiled goose

good with gravy
I think gotg 2 will take top spot.

Spiderman might suffer a little from bad asm and fatigue so Dunno how it will do.

I'm also not sure about justice League. Ss and bvs were horrible but people still showed up.

A few years ago I never could have imagined a GotG movie beating Justice League, but yeah I think GotG beat it. I'm hesitant but I think the quality of Spiderman will propel it to the top spot overall.

Litan

I'm not very good at these predictions, especially for movies with no trailers out, but here goes...

GotG 2: Everything we've been shown and told leads me to believe this will be even better than the first. This is the easiest billion of them all.
$1-$1.2b

Homecoming: Spidey's one of the most popular heroes there is. A good spider-man movie, featuring Stark will make bank, especially after Civil War. Still, the competition is fierce.
$900 -$1.1b

Thor Ragnarok: We get the spectacle of gladiator matches involving Thor and Hulk, a surtur showdown, a possible celestial appearance, plus the humour, hearfelt moments, and character touches of Waititi, all with a great cast. This movie will be quality and it's in a pretty good slot. Both IM and Cap's final movies made it past a billion, but I think the possibility is unlikely here.
$850m

Justice League: This is the trickiest one for me to predict. BvS, with its' hype, novelty and brand power seemed like a guaranteed billion. We've seen the Trinity on-screen together, we've seen Superhero team-ups before. It just doesn't seem to have as much going for it as BvS. That was their Avengers, this is their AoU.
Thing is, since BvS underperformed, I can see it breaking a billion if it's really good, but I don't have much faith in Snyder. You never know, though.
$850m

Wonder Woman: First female-led superhero movie in the modern superhero market (side-eyes Marvel). That's a good hook, I think.
The trailers have been pretty good. Critically, I can see it being the best recieved DCEU movie.
$600m

Power Rangers: I...I don't know.

Logan above Wonder Woman. Lego Batman after it.

kswiston

I am putting off my own predictions for now, but I think that Justice League is getting the largest share of underpredictions so far.

Sephzilla

I think Spider-Man will take home the crown, honestly. Spider-Man is one of the most popular heroes in the world, it's his first proper film in the MCU, the movie has some of that Tony Stark star power in it, and Spidey has absolutely no stink following him from like Justice League has thanks to BvS

1- Spider-Man
2- Guardians of the Galaxy 2
3- Logan
4- Justice League
5- Thor 3: The Dark Ragnorok
6- Lego Batman
7- Power Rangers

I honestly go back and forth on where Justice League will fall. The movie has all of that BvS stink following it. However the "big team up movie" thing might carry it to a pretty good box office. That being said, they sort of blew the "big team up" moment with the Trinity being shoehorned into BvS. I ultimately think Justice League does ok but doesn't meet WB's standards

jmdajr

My expectations of all the Marvel movies is that they will be serviceable.

My hopes for the DC movies is that they can at least be that.

I don't expect anything to be better than Logan.

Blader

Guardians 2 will easily take the top spot.

I don't know about Spider-Man. I guess we'll see how much RDJ's inclusion and the general MCU/post-Civil War buzz play into it, but every Spider-Man movie has grossed less domestically than predecessor and, with the exception of SM3, less worldwide than its predecessor. When you look at that trend, spanning 5 movies over 12 years, maybe general audiences are just getting tired of Spider-Man?

I am putting off my own predictions for now, but I think that Justice League is getting the largest share of underpredictions so far.

It'll be interesting to see how much BvS poisoned the well there, and whether or not SS and/or WW can re-raise interest (or alternatively, if WW fares similarly to BvS, whether that will further poison the well).

kswiston

Actually, boxoffice.com is going to post their first advance forecast for Guardians of the Galaxy's domestic gross this Friday. Since it would sort of be cheating to post predictions after that, I am going to go with $375M domestic (pending reviews) for GotG2. I see it opening at $150M+ but having much shorter legs than the first film.

It'll be interesting to see how much BvS poisoned the well there, and whether or not SS and/or WW can re-raise interest (or alternatively, if WW fares similarly to BvS, whether that will further poison the well).

As with other high grossers under 40% on RT, I think that it can be misstep to just assume that every international market felt the same as American audiences. The Latin American gross for BvS was pretty high for a film that made ~$550M overseas. Was the film disliked by those audiences?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
1. A-holes Vol. 2
BO: $950M Space Dollars / RT: 92%

2. Just Us League
BO: $825M / RT: 30%

3. Spider-Man: Breakfast Club
BO: $760M / RT: 76%

4. Thor 3: The Darker World
BO: $730M / RT: 93%

5. The Road 2 A Good Wolverine Movie

6. Wonder How She Got a Leading Role Woman
BO: $550M / RT: 38%

7. Gob and George Michael Fight Crime

inky

That is what everyone said about BvS. No way possible it misses 1 billion etc etc

There's a difference between BvS not hitting its potential target of a billion+, and listing JL 5th against the rest of this list like suddenly Thor 3 is going to make 900 million and beat it. BvS made 850 million and SS 750 million with absolutely crap ratings, and it's not like all the others are guaranteed a billion either, not even Guardians 2, which I think will top this list.

I know it might be inexplicable to us sane people, but people still watch DC movies and JL (Batman and Supes mostly) is still the biggest or one of the biggest brands in there.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Based on absolutely nothing but sheer speculation as to how well I think audiences will receive some films that I've seen 0% from.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Justice League
Thor: Ragnarok
Logan
Wonder Woman
Lego Batman
Power Rangers

mjc

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
2. Spider-Man Homecoming
3. Justice League
4. Thor Ragnarok
5. Logan
6. Wonderwoman
7. Power Rangers
8. Lego Batman

I struggle with 2-4 because I think they could interchange depending on a few factors.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I like how a couple of years ago no one knew what the fuck Guardians of the Galaxy was and now most people in this thread, myself included, think it will beat out Spidey.

Busty

Banned
I'd say the safe money is on GOTG2. It will miss $400m domestic but not by much soaking up all that early summer money with little competition.

After that...., the whole thing could go either way. It's possible that Justice League gets number 2 (and a long shot at number one if it really hits) as it has been given the Thanksgiving frame mostly all to itself.

I have a feeling that the big question mark of the year isn't WW but Homecoming. There's something about that film that doesn't sit well with me. Even with RDJ in it unless he's a major presence in the film and not just a glorified cameo I don't think it's going to do the business that a lot of people think it will.

Lifeline

1. Spider-Man Homecoming
2. Justice League
3. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
4. Logan
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Wonder Woman
7. Lego Batman Movie
8. Power Rangers

pestul

Justice League less that Lego Batman? Come on man..

1) Spider-Man
2) GoTG Vol 2
3) Justice League
4) Thor: Ragnarok
5) Logan
6) Wonder Woman
7) Lego Batman
8) Power Rangers

Surprised a few people don't have GOTG2 crossing $1 billion. The first came out in August and managed to make $773 million. If GOTG2 is even better and has the prime Marvel spot of the 1st weekend in May, I have no doubt it will make $1 billion or more.

Its only competition will be King Arthur and that most likely won't do well. Pirates comes out at the end of the month but that will make most of its money internationally as the domestic gross for the series has gone down.

Edit: Forgot Alien comes out in the middle of May. It's so different in tone that I doubt it will have an effect on Guardians though.

The reason I think JL has a chance to outgross Spider-Man is because of the competition Spidey has. One week before is Despicable Me 3 and one week after is the 3rd Apes movie.

Glass Rebel

I was pretty sure GotG and Spidey would duke it out for #1 but Spidey has some comparatively harsh competition. Best case scenario for Justice League is #2, maybe even #3. Worst case it's outgrossed by even Ragnarok. I will go with a conservative guess and say it's going to look like this:

1. GotG Vol. 2
2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
3. Justice League
4. Thor Ragnarok
5. Logan
6. Wonder Woman
7. LEGO Batman
8. Power Rangers

People putting a lot of stock into spidey. I don't think he'll do that much domestically, each spider-man sequel has done less than the prior one domestically, even Spider-man 2. I just don't think there's enough new there (retreading his origin + high school), or enough of a break from the last spider-man film to get people excited, at least a billion dollar excited. The best thing it has going for it is RDJ.

I think GoTG is the most likely to make the most, while JL has the highest potential ceiling.

I can't really see Thor making more than JL (especially coming into it's third week), and I think WW & Thor will be close.

J_Viper

It's probably silly to think this, but I think the "high school" aspect might be what holds it back from being a huge world-wide billion dollar success.

Not to say the movie won't do well, because I'm sure it will, but is the focus on "nervous kid in high school who has trouble with girls" going to be an easy sell overseas?

Also, I'm thinking you guys are overestimating the RJD card. No way is he in the movie for more than ten minutes. Also, Civil War had RJD and Spidey, and still made less than Ultron.

GOTG 2 is the one that's locked for a billion. Maybe, perhaps, if it turns out well JL might make it too.

kswiston

I think that this might be a skip year for billion dollar comic films. I don't see any of them hitting that mark. Guardians needs a huge overseas bump to get in that range. Local currency amounts would have to increase by about 75% , if we are assuming $350-400M domestic.

Unfortunately we already were some of them will wind up (Lego, Logan), so it's really just about the other five.

1. Justice League: 800M - 1B. Yes, it's the movie that shouldn't do a billion after BvS, but WB is already pushing Snyder out in favor of something lighter. And assuming this is probably the only one we'll get before having to reboot the whole thing, JL will probably do better than expected.

2. Logan ~ 800M. Already out, but it's a movie that has an actual story because it has an end. It will thereby outperform pretty much everything else that isn't just another setup movie. It will probably not be the top performer of the year, but if the rest bottoms out, it'll take the crown.

3. GOTG2: 700M-1.3B. This thing can go anywhere, and the 5th of may release date of obviously Disney expecting it to go big, but I doubt the movie is going to be quite a lovable of the previous one, in particular because it's ANOTHER setup movie towards Infinity War, because we still need to get through this and Thorrerer: Darkerder. Personally I've had quite enough of the Marvel onslaught, and I suspect we're going to see some of that effect starting this year. In position three because the lower end of its range could put it below Logan and what I expect are to be a pretty solid lower end for JL.

4. Thor 3: 700M-800M. Will cozy up to the rest, but not quite reach it.

5. Spider-Man Homecoming. 500M-700M. Before telling me about merchandise, I would like to tell you this is the third reboot in a decade and that's going to cost it. Nobody seems to care much about it. Depending on quality it could easily go higher, but I think a lower number is the better guess here.

6. Wonder Woman: 300M. Or: that moment when the US discovers nobody give a fuck about this character outside the US. It might do better, but I'm on a mission to put it underneath Lego Batman, so that's what I'll do. Consistency and all. Also the rumor about 'mess' is going to kill it quick if that's the actual case.

7. Lego Batman: 301M. Currently at 250M and nearing the end of its run, it's unlikely the BO for Lego Bats will fundamentally change much now, but for the sake of consistency, it's above WW.

HardRojo

Just for posterity's sake and to laugh at my wrong predictions:

Guardians
Spider-Man
Logan
Thor
Justice League
WW
Power Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom