• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV - Abigail Reveal Trailer

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think Abigail has this fighting style of 'we really didn't give a fuck anymore, so here's a bunch of comedic bully moves on a character.' He looks like Bane from Arkham Asylum, not a Street Fighter character.
Do you think this character was designed yesterday? The idea is probably years old at this point.

And really, the "don't give a shit anymore" way would be to just re-issue some old popular character, not to make something completely new and risky.

I think his moves are awesome but paired with that huge frame it comes off comical. Is he supposed to be bigger than Hugo?
Slightly larger than Hugo according to their CFN profiles, yes.

Actually warming up to Abigail. Gonna drive over my opponents all day , vrooooooooonm.

Edit: Abigail was always a comedic goofy character. In Mighty FF he grabs the opponent and gives him a kiss.

I mean let's be real you weren't going to play V anyway. I don't disagree that V has major problems, but c'mon now, it just feels weird bringing this up in a character reveal topic. It's not like if the character was cool you'd join, the game has a lot of issues.
I often jump into games late to the party. The reality is I don't buy that many games, let alone a console just for one fighter. I love Street fighter, but I've been checking in now and then for an excuse to pick up a cheap second hand Ps4 for a few months and with every new update to this game, I'm not getting it.

Console brands don't affect my purchasing decisions. Street fighter could. And Street fighter V just isn't doing it for me. If they had have put Adon in, or any other decent legacy characters I could have been pushed over.

This character isn't pushing me anywhere but further away.

Marvel

could never
HYpFZCP.gif
Lol, ty.

FSLink

Banned
Do you think this character was designed yesterday? The idea is probably years old at this point.

And really, the "don't give a shit anymore" way would be to just re-issue some old popular character, not to make something completely new and risky.

Yeah...season 2 feels more like the developers wanting to do what they've wanted to for awhile (like Kolin and Ed) despite the risk of not going with fan favorites...which there are plenty.

You can't just say they don't give a shit anymore because you dislike the design and it fits your narrative.

I often jump into games late to the party. The reality is I don't buy that many games, let alone a console just for one fighter. I love Street fighter, but I've been checking in now and then for an excuse to pick up a cheap second hand Ps4 for a few months and with every new update to this game, I'm not getting it.

Console brands don't affect my purchasing decisions. Street fighter could. And Street fighter V just isn't doing it for me. If they had have put Adon in, or any other decent legacy characters I could have been pushed over.

I mean Season 2's been known to be for only new characters for months. It just looks silly to complain about even if I do agree they should have did some legacy and some new characters for this season.

Piccoro

You don't have to get a PS4, if you can find a decent PC, SFV is available there.

I also was tempted to get an XBox One because of Killer Instinct, but that game is literally the only one I like on Xbox. So I just got it on PC.

And as an old school Final Fight fan, I love this character and stage! Hugo was one of my mains in USF4, so I can't wait to try Abigail!

L Thammy

Actually warming up to Abigail. Gonna drive over my opponents all day , vrooooooooonm.

Edit: Abigail was always a comedic goofy character. In Mighty FF he grabs the opponent and gives him a kiss.

Isn't that just Mighty Final Fight being a silly self-parody game? He's not funny at all in Final Fight, just ugly.

KingBroly

Banned

Abigail looks like he's a bottom of the barrel idea. From where they pulled him from, right down to his move set. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a noogie move in there somewhere.

Marvel

could never
Re-watched it a few times now, certainly an interesting fightstyle. Can't say I'll use him myself, but I am looking forward to watching VesperArcade use him in ranked. Something tells me it will be comedy gold lol.

I mean Season 2's been known to be for only new characters for months. It just looks silly to complain about even if I do agree they should have did some legacy and some new characters for this season.
Fair point. Although I don't follow closely enough to know season 2 was all new characters outside of Akuma
You don't have to get a PS4, if you can find a decent PC, SFV is available there.

I also was tempted to get an XBox One because of Killer Instinct, but that game is literally the only one I like on Xbox. So I just got it on PC.

And as an old school Final Fight fan, I love this character and stage! Hugo was one of my mains in USF4, so I can't wait to try Abigail!
I don't have a pc and prefer consoles so that's out of the question for me. KI took over from my SF4 addiction luckily. Then MK10 and Tekken 7. With SF4 now on Xbox I have enough fighters to not warrant buying a Ps4.

Unless they announce Adon of course...

Whompa02

Terrible. Honestly what happened to reasonable design aesthetics?

Hugo was big but Jesus Christ at least he didn't look like a god damn cartoon.

At this point the sf5 team should just do what they want to do and try to do it well. The internet is going to give them shit for whatever they do anyway and it's all people who don't own the game and won't own the game anyway. They're doing a good job supporting the game and trying to make it the best it can be.

But ehonda please too

This feeling inside me..... it burns like the fire of a thousand enchiladas.
The spirit of El Fuerte has risen again. A widely disliked character to troll ranked matches and make people ragequit with. I knew I would never get El Fuerte or Ingrid in SFV, but I didn't expect my next calling to be a giant comically buff ugly man.

Viva Mexico! Viva Canada!

Yeah it's almost like people forget that fighting game characters can be designed to be unlikable as well.

I'm all for it. I've always been a sucker for huge characters in fighting games like Earthquake and Tam Tam in Samurai Showdown or Juggernaut in any of the Vs series.

sibarraz

Banned
Abigail gameplay style and combos looks pretty cool, and I love that we have a giant character in SFV, and specially that we have another character from final fight

But his design is so terrible, is like they wanted to outperform battleborn, and the stage is super awful, the new york sea looks very barren, specially if you compare it with KOF 14 Shanghai stage were it has so much life on it

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The animations look too "mo cap" for my tastes. Im sure that the other characters animations are motion captured too, but they're cleaned up and keyframed to look "Street Fighter".
Abigail animations dont look to have that cleanup/keyframe work done.

I think it's the first SFV character that doesnt look to belong in the game.

Floex

The animations look too "mo cap" for my tastes. Im sure that the other characters animations are motion captured too, but they're cleaned up and keyframed to look "Street Fighter".
Abigail animations dont look to have that cleanup/keyframe work done.

I think it's the first SFV character that doesnt look to belong in the game.

Feng? Nicalli? So many new characters look awful.

vg260

The action figure looks great, just the right cartoon purportions

cfWSD0i.jpg

Instead we get someone created from a Rob Liefeld fetish.

I'm pretty sure this is a fan-made custom figure, but yeah I was hoping for a big ugly dude, like Hugo, just not as absurd.

I'm going to pick the game up again now that there's someone I like enough to main. It's been awhile...you can use in-game earned currency to buy DLC fighters, right? I had a bunch back at launch that I never spent.

What is this different from? :/ it's a giant character no one asked for.

It's different from the rest of the cast? And the rest of the series as well. The closest SF has gotten to literal giants on-screen is SFIV Hugo, and this is a clear step beyond that.

Top Bottom