• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV - Abigail Reveal Trailer

Zackat

This is one of the worst character designs I've seen in regards to a dude in fighting games.

He looks just, bizarre.

which is awesome.

I know people want more realistic characters, but he is so strange that I feel compelled to play him. Capcom has made plenty of really weird characters.

which is awesome.

I know people want more realistic characters, but he is so strange that I feel compelled to play him. Capcom has made plenty of really weird characters.

I guess to each their own. That doesn't look "awesome" bizarre to me but just off putting.

But then again I'm sure there are plenty who like it as well

Evilisk

Street Fighter is home to Blanka, Necro, and Twelve, so these "omg what happened to capcom" posts amuse me to no end. Grotesque oddballs are a Street Fighter staple and help give the series its unique charm. Abigail is the second truly zany design in a roster of 26 characters. That's not unreasonable.

I don't really see how oddballs like Blanka, Necro and Twelve are really related to Abigail. Abigail certainly fits the grotesque part, but there's way less of a stretch between him and his fighting style (which clearly stems from his physical build) compared to Blanka, Necro or Twelve (the latter two which are basically justified as lol science)

He's certainly zany and I also like the variety he adds to the roster, but I don't really think he's a character in that same vein as Blanka at all.

JayEH

Should Season 4 (2019, Final Fight 30th Anniversary) be all FF characters?

If we got Haggar, Cody, Guy, Lucia, Sodom, and another FF boss (preferably Belger or Damnd), I think that'd be really cool.

I don't think doing a season based on one thing is a good idea. Felt the same about what they're doing here with mostly new characters.

Neoxon

If we got Haggar, Cody, Guy, Lucia, Sodom, and another FF boss (preferably Belger or Damnd), I think that'd be really cool.
There's enough variety within Final Fight for me to be okay with that, though swap Lucia for Maki & the extra Final Fight boss for either Hugo, Rolento, or Poison.

Ryce

I don't really see how oddballs like Blanka, Necro and Twelve are really related to Abigail. Abigail certainly fits the grotesque part, but there's way less of a stretch between him and his fighting style (which clearly stems from his physical build) compared to Blanka, Necro or Twelve (the latter two which are basically justified as lol science)

He's certainly zany and I also like the variety he adds to the roster, but I don't really think he's a character in that same vein as Blanka at all.
Abigail's not thematically similar to those characters, but between his physique and his height, he just looks so ridiculously superhuman that it's easy to classify him as one of Street Fighter's "weird" characters. I'd also put Dhalsim and F.A.N.G in that group, who are a bit more grounded than Necro and Twelve.

There's enough variety within Final Fight for me to be okay with that, though swap Lucia for Maki & the extra Final Fight boss for either Hugo, Rolento, or Poison.
I wouldn't want Maki and Guy in the same season, especially with Zeku coming this year.

And the reason I want the last character to be a wildcard is because the best aspect of a themed season is to get a new character from that theme that you'd never get any other way. The only opportunity we really have of seeing one of the bosses debut in SF is through a FF themed season, and just getting another character in their place that's already been seen and done is a lot less impactful.

Neoxon

I wouldn't want Maki and Guy in the same season, especially with Zeku coming this year.

And the reason I want the last character to be a wildcard is because the best aspect of a themed season is to get a new character from that theme that you'd never get any other way. The only opportunity we really have of seeing one of the bosses debut in SF is through a FF themed season, and just getting another character in their place that's already been seen and done is a lot less impactful.
That....actually makes sense. Then maybe Poison over Maki?

The only reason I don't want a Final Fight season in 2019 is waiting an extra year for Cody when they can put him in Season 3. I'm still confident in Capcom continuing to support the game, but there's always the chance that Seasons 4 and 5 won't happen and I don't want to miss out on someone like Cody because of it.

Edit: Abby's move list looks great. Super excited now.

Evilisk

Abigail's not thematically similar to those characters, but between his physique and his height, he just looks so ridiculously superhuman that it's easy to classify him as one of Street Fighter's "weird" characters. I'd also put Dhalsim and F.A.N.G in that group, who are a bit more grounded than Necro and Twelve.

I guess I can understand that line of thinking. And, yeah I do think he's closer to the likes of FANG (who also has an intentional character design paired with a specific style) rather than Necro or Blanka on the SF weirdness scale.

Mzo

He looks disgusting. Fits right in with the rest of SFV. Now I need to bathe my eyes in Arc System Works games to clean them out.

SlimXx

I am relieved that he doesn't have any annoying hold/release commands like Birdie's Bull Horn. Rather, the ability to choose to hold the buttons to delay his Nitro Charge and cancel the run from that state by pressing back sounds really good, especially if you get the armor as soon as he goes into the crouch pose.

Speaking of, you can absorb a hit with the Nitro Charge armor, then cancel the run into his V Skill to parry another hit? Vroom vroom!

Can a man not love tires in peace? I'm offended by your assumptions.

It's a tired trope
He is treading new ground.

I am not going to tire of these jokes any time soon.

Giga Man

I like big dudes most of the time, usually the likes of Hulk and Juggernaut in MvC or Bowser and Ganondorf in Smash, but Abigail doesn't look like my kind of character. He's just a liiiiittle unsettling.

He's far better than Ed, though. Ed is just boring.

I like big dudes most of the time, usually the likes of Hulk and Juggernaut in MvC or Bowser and Ganondorf in Smash, but Abigail doesn't look like my kind of character. He's just a liiiiittle unsettling.

He's far better than Ed, though. Ed is just boring.

Ed will be pretty solid if/when Capcom does something about his reach. That's really holding him back right now. Justin is already really good with him, but that one aspect is really crippling to his potential.

mackmoney

Abigal's demeanor is a cross between a roided out Baby Huey and Bane if he huffed cans of Glade along with doses of Venom.

But at least his design isn't as insipid as Ed's or Kolin's.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Its not about being ugly, comic relief, or weirdly proportioned.

Rufus was ugly.
Hakan was comic relief.
Fang is weirdly proportioned.

Abigail is just repulsive. He'll be showing up on the worst character design lists later this year and throughout the years.

I was convinced Capcom had lost the plot but now Im convinced they're purposefully making dumb decisions. Seriously, whose gonna want to drop money on this abomination? Besides the hardcore FGC crowd.

Rufus was ugly.
Hakan was comic relief.

Abigail is just repulsive. He'll be showing up on the worst character design lists later this year and throughout the years.

I was convinced Capcom had lost the plot but now Im convinced they're purposefully making dumb decisions. Seriously, whose gonna want to drop money on this abomination? Besides the hardcore FGC crowd.

I mean.. I don't care for this type of character at all but I don't understand how you can have this kind of reaction, it seems kinda hysterical.

It really seems like people are on this anti-SFV hipster bandwagon, hating literally anything to do with the game.

I'm surprised how crazy negative the reaction is

He's a big dumb character but it's something totally different, especially in a game full of "normal" stylish characters

Dude looks like a monster action figure, it's fuckin rad

I'm surprised how crazy negative the reaction is

He's a big dumb character but it's something totally different, especially in a game full of "normal" stylish characters

Dude looks like a monster action figure, it's fuckin rad

It's the Capcom general dissatisfaction plus the comparison to other EVO announcements amplifying a lot.

Also, lol
octbo1S.png

DR2K

Banned

Rufus was ugly.
Hakan was comic relief.

People that were suckered into buying the mystery season pass.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I mean.. I don't care for this type of character at all but I don't understand how you can have this kind of reaction, it seems kinda hysterical.

It really seems like people are on this anti-SFV hipster bandwagon, hating literally anything to do with the game.

Anti-SFV hipster bandwagon? I bought SFV on release day (and a digital copy again down the road). I still enjoy playing it here and there despite moving on to other multiplayer games.

Try asking yourself why so many aspects of SFV outside of the core gameplay is viewed so negatively. Maybe your SFV fanboyism is blinding you to valid criticisms.

We need a poll in here asking people if they actually like this characters design.

Welp they fucked up perfectly ok Bay Area restrooms remix with those lyrics.
I'd be okay with the vocals if the singer didn't try to do that shitty garage band "it's not a phase mom" growly voice.

The stage theme though (heard during the trailer) actually sounds fine.

JusDoIt

Mayor Mike, Bike Gang Maki, Detective Lucia, El Gado, Two.P, Mary.

Rather than an all Final Fight season, i'd prefer if they did a guest season. I don't see how Capcom can ignore that hype that's created for games that announce characters from different franchises. We saw that yesterday with Geese and BlazBlue crosstag. They should do an entire season built around that idea and don't limit it to their own games or characters that are from fighting games.

Top Bottom