• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV - Abigail Reveal Trailer

I kinda like him. What's wrong with the design?
Isn't he basically just Hugo with a mohawk? Is it because his proportions are kind of goofy or those tire armbands?

It's a combination of things.

He's grotesque. SF has had a lot of grotesque designs in the past but this one just seems lazy and grotesque, his personality appears to boil down to 'top heavy asshole bully,' which simply doesn't appeal on any level.

His moveset doesn't excite me. Command grab that tosses them in the air and just lets them land on the ground. Haggar punches copied and pasted without any real changes. Armor moves that we've seen on two characters already. His default costume is basically hugo's, replacing chains with tires. Maybe his alt costumes will look better, but there's no reason for his default to be that uninspired. When they gave us a greaser biker type in Birdie, they gave us a rotund idiot, but they incorporated food into his moveset and kept his classic moveset from the Alpha games.

Abigal just seems half baked, unfinished, deformed, not a part of something more interesting.

Teepo671

No he's not 'basically just Hugo' they fight completely different. Hugo is a grappler. Abigail is looking to brawl.
Yeah, I'm not talking gameplay wise which is why I made no mention of that. I'm talking aesthetically he's basically Hugo with a Mohawk and white outfit instead of pink. I'm just surprised at how much hate his design seems to be getting seeing that he looks similar to Hugo.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Have you guys forgotten that Tekken has characters like GIgas?
latest

Abigail is crazy-roided up and huge. Looks like a fun character to me...will give him a try!

I'm the biggest Final Fight fan in the world, so I'm losing my shit right now. He's perfect. I know they're never going to make another proper FF game, so as long as they keep the series alive by trickling the cast out into other games, that's fine with me. And holy shit at that Bay Area 3 remix! And the stage!

fresquito

Design aside, I have to say this season has been extremely disappointing in terms of the characters in general. When they originally announced Akuma and stated that the other five characters coming this season would be new to the fighting genre there was some doubts as to what exactly that meant. People were right in thinking that just meant NPCs turned into playable characters. The last silhouette is almost guaranteed to be Azam. Next character is probably just going to be another NPC turned playable. Not a single original character this season. So disappointing.
You sure haven't kept up with the leaks.

kodecraft

Yeah, I'm not talking gameplay wise which is why I made no mention of that. I'm talking aesthetically he's basically Hugo with a Mohawk and white outfit instead of pink. I'm just surprised at how much hate his design seems to be getting seeing that he looks similar to Hugo.

Not even asthetically does he resemble Hugo, besides being huge, imo.

Y'all got to find a different strategy fighting this guy for those that can't setup combos without crossing up.

latest

Abigail is crazy-roided up and huge. Looks like a fun character to me...will give him a try!

The difference is Gigas actually is designed. Like that's a design. Has proportions that don't look too goofy. Gigas isn't an aesthetic mess.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Design aside, I have to say this season has been extremely disappointing in terms of the characters in general. When they originally announced Akuma and stated that the other five characters coming this season would be new to the fighting genre there was some doubts as to what exactly that meant. People were right in thinking that just meant NPCs turned into playable characters. The last silhouette is almost guaranteed to be Azam. Next character is probably just going to be another NPC turned playable. Not a single original character this season. So disappointing.
According to the leaker who correctly predicted the first four S2 characters back in October, the next two are Menat and Zeku.

Your "NPCs into playable characters" complaint is nonsense. A new character is a new character regardless of whether we've seen a cartoon drawing of them in the past or not.

Rolento, Hugo, Guy, Cody, Poison. All of them but Poison had appeared in previous Street Fighter games. Poison is the only "new" Final Fight character to be added to a Street Fighter game since 1999.

The point being that FF characters have been crossing over and debuting in SF games since Alpha 1, so the fact that they are continuing that tradition and debuting FF characters in SF shouldn't be that puzzling.

Village

latest

He's crazy-roided up and huge. Looks like a fun character to me...will give him a try!

To be fair gigas till looks, while exaggerated, relatively in porpotion to a lot of the cast, and is a literal science experiment

While I'm not fond of abigail, he's kinda ok. I don't hate him, that said, he looks weird, next to say ed who has a relatively human face and porpotions. Then again, fang and bidie exists.

On that not, its cool they used ed's story costume, its a very " beat em up " character outfit, and worked

I-hate-u

Should have just went for Haggar and injected a little bit of hype into this game. Capcom, it's easy to get the masses excited for SF again.

ZdkDzk

I came in ready to say it should have been Maki, but then this big idiot drove on screen and into my heart. It's that special kind of stupid fun that you normally only see in ultra niche fighters from the mid-2000s.

Korigama

Having missed the trailer earlier, since I wasn't expecting it to be shown before Evo's SFV top 8 instead of after...yeah, this is awful.
We get this, yet we can't get female characters that don't look like voluptuous waifs. :|
Whether voluptuous or petite, most fighters will emphasize female characters whose appearances are designed to excite or otherwise be easy on the eyes, with exceptions being few and far between. This is the case with most Japanese games, though.

I wonder if abigail specific tech will be found out because of his gigantic hitbox

Rufus is awesome. He's a obese dude who can keep up with the twins in agility and taught himself his own style by watching crappy Chinese action flicks lol. He seems like the typical dumb fat dude but he actually have mad natural talent in him. Would probably be a btter fighter then Ken if he'd lose weight.

Top Bottom