• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 won't be at E3

Gestault

They need a lot more money.

They're not doing a very good job at marketing right now.

Back during the Dreamcast days we saw a lot of footage years before the release date. We even saw a lot of target renders, and a CG movie showing more of the story than we have seen in the games so far.

I'm worried.

The resources and industry positioning are totally different for Shenmue III compared to the original games.

The timeline for production couldn't even start until well after the Kickstarter itself concluded. Shenmue III needs all the time and effort of normal pre-production and development, on top of opening the studio behind it in many ways from scratch. What you're describing and what we're seeing play out isn't a reason to be concerned.

Chitown B

has anything Sony taunted us with gotten anywhere near release?

God of War
Days Gone
Detroit Becomes Human
Farpoint
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Death Stranding
Spider Man

etc...

Reallink

Shaping up to be a shit E3 with this and the FF7:RE development troubles. Thought for sure we would see big re-reveal trailers for these 2 games. Have a feeling the third-party portions of the conferences are going to be painfully long stage demos of all the known annualized franchises (CoD, Battlefront, Ass Creed, Far Cry, Etc...).

Spaghetti

Like I said, pathetically low expectations. Your premise that any sort of standard-approach promo materials would be "blowing their load" is ludicrous. A Kickstarted game has the benefit of more flexibility in how open they can be with communications. I think if the reasonable-in-its-own-way reality of a delay is manifesting to the point that a traditional trailer is impractical, I think saying "we're moving our expected ship date into at least the next year" should be part of the communication saying as much.
Again, like I've said, a delay is probably coming down the announcement pipeline before the end of summer, but saying they're not going to be at E3 AND they're delaying is too much in one go.

And they most certainly would be blowing their load given they're opting out of E3 specifically to use the time on development. Why spend the time on a trailer now when you know you'll have to do it again (with less options for dodging spoilers) when a final release window is locked down and a marketing plan decided on?

Kickstarter does afford more flexible ways of communicating what a game is, but just because the format is there doesn't mean they're able to use it to the fullest. There's no media team making these videos. They're done literally by the developers. The guy who introduces these videos is a gameplay designer, and everybody else involved in the production of these videos have other duties in their workday to get on with.

Why was this update under a minute long? As you can probably tell from the ambient noise of the office, they're busy, and apart from that they need to maneuver around things that aren't ready, are full of spoilers, or they want to save for a proper reveal every month to give a promised update. It's a really tough position.

Please don't say my expectations are low, because they're really not. This is my favourite game series and something I never thought would ever happen. My expectations are in-check with the stark realities and compromises that meant Shenmue III could happen in the first place, but don't think for a minute I'm looking to give them an easy ride.

If they had said nothing about E3 and no-showed I would have been fairly angry, but to their credit they are getting ahead of the issue and telling us why they're skipping E3 - which is the end product. After the hype is gone, that's all that is going to matter; and that's mainly why I'm taking a calmer and more understanding approach to this news.

If two years is too early then they shouldn't have set a date for December 2017.
From the Kickstarter's FAQ, which has been there since it launched:

A rigorous budget and schedule has been worked out with our production team and we believe our target of 2017 holiday season is within reach. That said, our goal is to make the best game possible (and one that the fans want!) so please understand the schedule may change as the project evolves. Frequent updates will be posted on the Update page.

Can't say they didn't give fair warning.

God of War
Days Gone
Detroit Becomes Human
Farpoint
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Death Stranding
Spider Man

etc...
Farpoint has been out for a week or two. I hope to finish it tonight as a matter of fact.

Gestault

If they had said nothing about E3 and no-showed I would have been fairly angry, but to their credit they are getting ahead of the issue and telling us why they're skipping E3 - which is the end product.

The timing of letting people know to not expect a dedicated showing for E3 is a good point, which I hadn't thought about on its own.

God of War
Days Gone
Detroit Becomes Human
Farpoint
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Death Stranding
Spider Man

etc...

Expect release date at e3
Expect a good amount of coverage and possibly a release window
No clue
Already out
5 million years
5.5 million years
2019 earliest
Shouldn't be too far

StereoVsn

Shenmue 3 is the new Duke Nukem Forever, confirmed.

Joke post?

Not even announced two years ago. Development didn't begin in earnest until late 2015 either.

The fan base just wanted to see the story continue and conclude.

God of War
Days Gone
Detroit Becomes Human
Farpoint
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Death Stranding
Spider Man

etc...
Farpoint is out. Spider Man, God of War are rumored to be close to completion. Days Gone is probably going to be Q1 next year. Detroit shouldn't be that far in the future either I would guess. We may see all these games out by end of Q1 next year and weren't Spider Man and God of War rumored to happen this year even?

FFVIIR and KH3 are most likely in SE's development he'll once again.

Death Standing wasnt expected to arrive any time soon.

Shenmue 3 just had Kickstarter kick off then. It should have been expected for it to get delayed a year at least. I can see end of 2018 happen if they got their development workflow down tight.

Jcgamer60

Not sure where Street Fighter fits, in a world with Smash Bros.

Street Fighter and Smash Brothers are both competitive fighting games. Shenmue created a whole other genre known as FREE (Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment). It is more than just a black and white open world game.

KageMaru

IVuRDWT.jpg

Completely understandable but I'm still disappointed.

AzureFlame

guys you really expecting 3d game as big as shenmue 3 to be finished soon? even 2d kickstarter games took a long time to finish, this game won't be out anytime soon, i just hope they will actually finish it and it turns out good.

No way this is a 2017 game.

not even a 2018 game or 2019.

Soph

2015 will be remembered as the year Sony blew smoke into peoples eyes and won E3 on broken games and bold promises of games coming out a decade later

2015 will be remembered as the year Sony blew smoke into peoples eyes and won E3 on broken games and bold promises of games coming out a decade later

E3s are not won on shipped games.

E3s are won on showmanship.

A terrible conference isn't better just because a poor demo ended up producing an amazing game. Nor does an amazing demo somehow retroactively become a bad demo because the final game was terrible.

E3 press conferences are shows. A glitzy marketing show that aims to entertain and excite audiences with cool trailers, demos and carefully packaged presentations.

Soph

A terrible conference isn't better just because a poor demo ended up producing an amazing game. Nor does an amazing demo somehow retroactively become a bad demo because the final game was terrible.

E3 press conferences are shows. A glitzy marketing show that aims to entertain and excite audiences with cool trailers, demos and carefully packaged presentations.

I love it when it happens, like a good soda drink on a hot summer night.

The problem is the caries which you find yourself with later.

Bioshocker

Not surprising. I'd rather prefer they just focus on finishing the game instead of creating a trailer specifically for E3.

On the other hand, it would be nice to see how their work progresses. Right not it's obvious 2017 is out of the question. Late 2018 then?

As much as I want to see more(as a backer ofthe game) I'm glad they are working on the game, instead of wasting time on a new trailer. I still think it will slip to 2018 though.

That's a bummer. Really had a feeling it would get a (short) trailer at a conference as well.

I'm still holding out for a Shenmue HD Collection though. I'd say at this point, that would be more important than a Shenmue 3 showcase.

Shaping up to be a shit E3 with this and the FF7:RE development troubles. Thought for sure we would see big re-reveal trailers for these 2 games. Have a feeling the third-party portions of the conferences are going to be painfully long stage demos of all the known annualized franchises (CoD, Battlefront, Ass Creed, Far Cry, Etc...).

Definitely agree. Also expecting a no show for RE2 Remake as well. Also with news of the fate of Deus Ex, Mass Effect and Hitman, there's been a few bad news game stories lately. :(

sw26

Expected but I really hope that we see Shenmue 1 and 2 HD remaster to ease the pain.

This for me.

In fact I would be pretty surprised if they didn't at least talk about this at the conference. Shenmue 3 not having a presence is less surprising.

They were $10K backers, that's why.

I'm not going to put words in their mouths (because at least one $10K backer posts here and can speak for himself), but although the work done was far in excess of anything we've seen already, the trailer they saw was not ready for prime time and contained a lot of placeholder art assets. I would hazard a guess that what they saw was the blueprint for what we'll eventually all see when Shenmue III re-reveals properly in... anywhere in the next six months.

These sneak peeks weren't part of their reward but were treats at Yu Suzuki's discretion with people he believed he could trust would be able to keep in mind the footage was still early. That cannot be guaranteed with a wider public audience, and especially not with a press who have been, well, hostile to the project previously. There's no single reason why they're playing their cards so close to their chest like this, but it's a longer term strategy.

The issue is the give and the take. The fans want more, but the act of overplaying their hand could lead to spoiling something, making a promise that can't be kept, showing a feature that might get cut, or just getting raked over the coals in the media despite the incredibly clear disclaimer that the work is in-progress.

It's a shitty situation for everybody, not least YSnet, but - I guess the theory is that if they keep their heads down and work, and still provide a monthly update without giving away too much, then when it comes time to show the game they won't be in a compromised state of having to avoid showing certain sections of the game because they're not ready, or advancing art assets to near final (and risking a downgrade later), or pulling some Square Enix hocus pocus for a few cheap plaudits and momentary glory.

Fair enough, but IMO the monthly updates have been fairly lacking for a while, and whether you were a 10k backer or a 120 one you deserve to know what is going on. Software development is tough, everybody knows that, but I think they should put

I'm fine with the game getting delayed, just think they could have been a bit more realistic with the initial ballpark date they gave

I hear you, but if you don't set deadlines you'll never come close to hitting them. That is how software development works.

The big studios are able to disguise this by either not announcing stuff until late in development or by hiring a ton of bodies and having them work 80+ hour weeks. (or: both)

Basically, any videogame project not on a AAA budget announced early in development is probably going to have an optimistic deadline, so expect delays. This includes almost all game kickstarters.

Sure, but I think you can try and set more realistic goals. Everyone knew Dec 2017 was basically impossible. Anyway, that is not my main issue with how development is going. I'm not expecting very detailed development diaries but I think they could have a bit more substance to it, I think they owe it to the backers, who are basically the investors in this game.

openrob

I think with this announcement they are trying to say they are avoiding marketing until they are ready.

They give out backer updates regularly, however this is stuff that as marketing content would make the game look bad.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Expected. They announced it ridiculously early

TBH it would not exist if it wasn't announced before creating it. But the 2017 delivery date was always fishy. There's just no way to build such a game within two and a half years without even having a team. It will be a late 2018, early 2019 title.

It would be bullshit if I had said they have shown nothing, but what I actually said is that what they are showing seems fairly basic stuff considering we are 24 months into it. I understand things take time, but if they do have more stuff I don't quite understand that it's shown to a "select few" when the game is supposedly funded by the 6000+ backers who would like to know how the game is progressing. Not going to E3 is absolutely fine, I agree it's a huge drain on resources, but they do owe to the backers to show something more interesting if they have it.

I got to see things because I busted my ass to get the most money I've ever had in my life, in the space if 30 days without notice, to give to something I 100% love and believe in. I wasn't owed that, it was a gift from Yu Suzuki, without proper warning or us asking.

And that's where the root of your problem is. You think you are owed something which you are not. You are owed what was promised in the Kickstarter campaign; a finished Shenmue 3. They also promised monthly updates which they have delivered upon so far, and also physical rewards for whatever tier you backed, which as of now, are also on schedule. You are owed nothing more, and if you think you do, then it's your own fault for the gripes you have.

Outside of the natural feeling of disappointment of no Shenmue 3 at E3, the only legitimate concern people should voice is that they haven't announced a delay yet. That's warranted, and anyone with half a brain cell can work out this game isn't coming in December. Any other complaints are due to your own expectations, which people need to temper.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
TBH it would not exist if it wasn't announced before creating it. But the 2017 delivery date was always fishy. There's just no way to build such a game within one and a half years without even having a team. It will be a late 2018, early 2019 title.

That's true. My post is poorly written in that aspect. Its first announcement was a kickstarter pitch so it made sense that they weren't very far in development. The expectation that it could release this year always seemed like a stretch. It's most likely too early to show the public anything at a large event like E3.

ianpm31

That's expected. As a huge Shenmue fan I never thought Dec 2017 was realistic. Shenmue 3 will be delayed until next year while we get to play the HD collections this year. Remember Shenmue 3 has only been in development for roughly 2 years. Needs more time and that's okay

flattie

YS is in charge. All will be fine. We've waited a long, long time for this game - if it needs more time in the oven, then so be it. (Assuming it is delayed - nobody ever said it would be at E3).

Atomski

God of War
Days Gone
Detroit Becomes Human
Farpoint
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Death Stranding
Spider Man

etc...
No Man's sky.. then they quickly tried to act like they weren't the ones who bushed it like crazy.

dezzy8

Back during the Dreamcast days we saw a lot of footage years before the release date. We even saw a lot of target renders, and a CG movie showing more of the story than we have seen in the games so far.

I'm worried.
The original 2 games had a 100 million dollar budget combined. Of course you're going to see all of that stuff. Shenmue 3 is being developed with much less money.

God of War
Days Gone
Detroit Becomes Human
Farpoint
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Death Stranding
Spider Man

etc...

Farpoint's already out.

Spidey, Days Gone, and God of War received their first E3 showings last year.

Game development takes a long time now; you don't get stuff announced that comes out later that year as we saw in the PS2 era.

Some exceptions are Bloodborne, which were out within nine months, and LittleBigPlanet 3, which was out that year.

Arrogant Sony is finally back?

The world is a lot more complex than "Is Company X arrogant or humble." Too often people on GAF try to simplify everything based on that criterion.

I got to see things because I busted my ass to get the most money I've ever had in my life, in the space if 30 days without notice, to give to something I 100% love and believe in. I wasn't owed that, it was a gift from Yu Suzuki, without proper warning or us asking.

And that's where the root of your problem is. You think you are owed something which you are not. You are owed what was promised in the Kickstarter campaign; a finished Shenmue 3. They also promised monthly updates which they have delivered upon so far, and also physical rewards for whatever tier you backed, which as of now, are also on schedule. You are owed nothing more, and if you think you do, then it's your own fault for the gripes you have.

Outside of the natural feeling of disappointment of no Shenmue 3 at E3, the only legitimate concern people should voice is that they haven't announced a delay yet. That's warranted, and anyone with half a brain cell can work out this game isn't coming in December. Any other complaints are due to your own expectations, which people need to temper.

I already mentioned that I am absolutely fine with the game getting delayed, I have waited 15+ years so I can wait some more, and I don't see the big deal in not being in E3. As anybody with half a brain, I never thought the Dec 2017 was going to happen and I backed the project anyway (even though I would like to know why they set such an optimistic date in the first place). I however don't quite agree at all about the fact that we are owed nothing beyond a finished game. When you use crowdfunding/kickstarter to fund a game it is expected that you explain to the people who back you what you are doing with their money, as you would do if any big company was providing the funding. It's only fair considering that you are paying for a product that doesn't exist yet. So no, the monthly updates are not charity, they are a requirement from my point of view. And while I don't expect lots of detail, I would like a bit more substance in the monthly updates.

A good conference =/= a good lineup or good games, gotcha.

Tell be again why we put more weight on the 90 minute marketing presentations over the show floor again?

I however don't quite agree at all about the fact that we are owed nothing beyond a finished game. When you use crowdfunding/kickstarter to fund a game it is expected that you explain to the people who back you what you are doing with their money, as you would do if any big company was providing the funding. It's only fair considering that you are paying for a product that doesn't exist yet. So no, the monthly updates are not charity, they are a requirement from my point of view. And while I don't expect lots of detail, I would like a bit more substance in the monthly updates.

Firstly, you didnt pay for any product at all. It wasnt an item for sale. You funded a campaign project which can be subject to change at any time. Its all in the Kickstarter TOS, as well as the Q&A section of the Shenmue 3 page. You are a backer here, not a consumer.

Second, all your comment boils down to is your "opinion" that things are not up to your standard. Thats all you are moaning about. No one said the monthly updates were "charity". Thats not the point, the point is they assured backers they would provide monthly update reports and they have done. End of story. Your opinion, my opinion, anyone's opinion doesn't matter. They are upholding their end of the deal and there's no argument there. If you dont like it, thats your problem. Plenty of other people love them, and like myself, are thankful this damn game is legitimately real after 14 years of waiting and having faith.

Finally, for anyone who is disappointed, frustrated or in any way negative about Shenmue not appearing at E3, i get it. Its only natural. But before you sit down to type your angry negative responses, take it from me that there is no one more disappointed and frustrated than Yu Suzuki. He knows fans want this game and is working 24 hours a day, sleeping in the office, and working on a shoestring budget to deliver to us a game worthy of a game that bears the name Shenmue 3, He is one of the most humble of men you would ever have the pleasure of meeting, and even mentioning the phrase "6 million" to him will result in him becoming so thankful and teary eyed at the sheer output of love and generosity from fans 2 years ago.
No one wants this game to succeed and be a proper entry into the Shenmue franchise more than him. Not for the money that comes, not with the success and accolades that come, but for us who believed, waited this long, and were so giving 2 short years ago. It kills him that he cannot show this game off yet, and he told us personally that a delay is the last thing he wants. But with the bar this game has to live up to and what the team are shooting for, for fuck sakes give the guys a bit of slack, and perhaps a comment of support and encouragement. Not whining about not getting your trailer or if the release date slips.

God of War
Days Gone
Detroit Becomes Human
Farpoint
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Death Stranding
Spider Man

etc...

Last Guardian
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon
Order
Knack
Crash Remake
Battlefront
Destiny
Call of Duty (if you want to lump 3rd party's to Sony I can play this game too)
No mans sky

God of War
Days Gone
Detroit Becomes Human
Farpoint
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Death Stranding
Spider Man

etc...
They literally just announced most of these last year, one is out already,two are third party and one was a kickstarter.

I don't get the exclusive Sony thing y'all got going on.

Where's crackdown 3(2014), where's fable legends,where's scalebound,where's phantom dust,cuphead,below?

Nintendo had dude on stage talking about a concept for a new Travis touchdown game,announced a new hd project with atlus,Zelda took forever,xenoblade x took forever, Tokyo mirage sessions?

They all do it stop it

Top Bottom