• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 won't be at E3

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
It's the only thing I've ever backed and one of if not my most anticipated game of all time.

So I am sorta disappointed in this news and I'm starting to feel a might of trepidation. Crowd Funded games are nowhere near a lock to ever release and a game of this magnitude (even with Sony's help) can still fail.

I still wished Shenmue 3 was a Manga/anime and the game we get was Shenmue 4 since I think there were supposed to be 16 chapters over 5 games I believe.

Firstly, you didnt pay for any product at all. It wasnt an item for sale. You funded a campaign project which can be subject to change at any time. Its all in the Kickstarter TOS, as well as the Q&A section of the Shenmue 3 page. You are a backer here, not a consumer.

Second, all your comment boils down to is your "opinion" that things are not up to your standard. Thats all you are moaning about. No one said the monthly updates were "charity". Thats not the point, the point is they assured backers they would provide monthly update reports and they have done. End of story. Your opinion, my opinion, anyone's opinion doesn't matter. They are upholding their end of the deal and there's no argument there. If you dont like it, thats your problem. Plenty of other people love them, and like myself, are thankful this damn game is legitimately real after 14 years of waiting and having faith.

Finally, for anyone who is disappointed, frustrated or in any way negative about Shenmue not appearing at E3, i get it. Its only natural. But before you sit down to type your angry negative responses, take it from me that there is no one more disappointed and frustrated than Yu Suzuki. He knows fans want this game and is working 24 hours a day, sleeping in the office, and working on a shoestring budget to deliver to us a game worthy of a game that bears the name Shenmue 3, He is one of the most humble of men you would ever have the pleasure of meeting, and even mentioning the phrase "6 million" to him will result in him becoming so thankful and teary eyed at the sheer output of love and generosity from fans 2 years ago.
No one wants this game to succeed and be a proper entry into the Shenmue franchise more than him. Not for the money that comes, not with the success and accolades that come, but for us who believed, waited this long, and were so giving 2 short years ago. It kills him that he cannot show this game off yet, and he told us personally that a delay is the last thing he wants. But with the bar this game has to live up to and what the team are shooting for, for fuck sakes give the guys a bit of slack, and perhaps a comment of support and encouragement. Not whining about not getting your trailer or if the release date slips.

Would be nice if you did not cut sections of my message to your liking, where for instance I mention that I am absolutely fine with the game not being at E3 or it being delayed (despite the fact that they should not have set such an optimist release date in the first place). Honestly, I think your message can be seen in many ways as plain fanboyism. I am also extremely happy that Shenmue III is being made, but I don't think saying I'd like some more substance in the monthly updates or that they were more realistic in setting a ballpark release date is such harsh criticism. What you seem to advocate is that we should praise our luck that Yu is making another entry and forget about criticizing absolutely anything.

Would be nice if you did not cut sections of my message to your liking, where for instance I mention that I am absolutely fine with the game not being at E3 or it being delayed (despite the fact that they should not have set such an optimist release date in the first place). Honestly, I think your message can be seen in many ways as plain fanboyism. I am also extremely happy that Shenmue III is being made, but I don't think saying I'd like some more substance in the monthly updates or that they were more realistic in setting a ballpark release date is such harsh criticism. What you seem to advocate is that we should praise our luck that Yu is making another entry and forget about criticizing absolutely anything.

I feel sorry for people like you, who feel the need to criticise in general. Instead of looking at something objectively and seeing whats positive, negative and focusing on the positive. At the same time, I can see your post as the typical modern day gamer who will just bitch about anything they possibly can just for the sake of it. I clearly labelled out that the Kickstarter had in plain black and white what this game was hopefully going to be, what their plan is, and what you will get. You just can't accept that.

Kiske

Firstly, you didnt pay for any product at all. It wasnt an item for sale. You funded a campaign project which can be subject to change at any time. Its all in the Kickstarter TOS, as well as the Q&A section of the Shenmue 3 page. You are a backer here, not a consumer.

Second, all your comment boils down to is your "opinion" that things are not up to your standard. Thats all you are moaning about. No one said the monthly updates were "charity". Thats not the point, the point is they assured backers they would provide monthly update reports and they have done. End of story. Your opinion, my opinion, anyone's opinion doesn't matter. They are upholding their end of the deal and there's no argument there. If you dont like it, thats your problem. Plenty of other people love them, and like myself, are thankful this damn game is legitimately real after 14 years of waiting and having faith.

Finally, for anyone who is disappointed, frustrated or in any way negative about Shenmue not appearing at E3, i get it. Its only natural. But before you sit down to type your angry negative responses, take it from me that there is no one more disappointed and frustrated than Yu Suzuki. He knows fans want this game and is working 24 hours a day, sleeping in the office, and working on a shoestring budget to deliver to us a game worthy of a game that bears the name Shenmue 3, He is one of the most humble of men you would ever have the pleasure of meeting, and even mentioning the phrase "6 million" to him will result in him becoming so thankful and teary eyed at the sheer output of love and generosity from fans 2 years ago.
No one wants this game to succeed and be a proper entry into the Shenmue franchise more than him. Not for the money that comes, not with the success and accolades that come, but for us who believed, waited this long, and were so giving 2 short years ago. It kills him that he cannot show this game off yet, and he told us personally that a delay is the last thing he wants. But with the bar this game has to live up to and what the team are shooting for, for fuck sakes give the guys a bit of slack, and perhaps a comment of support and encouragement. Not whining about not getting your trailer or if the release date slips.

giphy.gif

Lol if people actually believed in that 2017 release date. Disappointing news, but it's all good. I know how much love and detail went into Shenmue I and II, so the team can take its time as long as the final product brings the heat. Still hopeful for an HD remaster announcment.

Kssio_Aug

I feel sorry for people like you, who feel the need to criticise in general. Instead of looking at something objectively and seeing whats positive, negative and focusing on the positive. At the same time, I can see your post as the typical modern day gamer who will just bitch about anything they possibly can just for the sake of it. I clearly labelled out that the Kickstarter had in plain black and white what this game was hopefully going to be, what their plan is, and what you will get. You just can't accept that.

I think most of what you wrote made perfect sense, and I respect that. But I think you're being harsh on him. Even if he's wrong about demanding more info about the project (which, tbh, I'm not sure if he is), it's nothing that much absurd to recquire such a strong response. The guy is a Shenmue fan, he backed it, he is fine the game won't show at E3, and I'm pretty sure it may be frustrating to him to get these kinds of responses when voicing his opinion as a fan and backer of the project. He is as human as Yu Suzuki.

kadotsu

Banned
I rather have them save time by not producing a vertical slice for a tradeshow. The budget is better spent on the game proper. They could show something unfinished but then you would have Darksiders 3 Reaction - Electric Boogaloo.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
2 questions for all the negative people in this thread so everyone else can understand where they are coming from:

1. Why is it important for Shenmue 3 to be presented at this year's E3?
  2. If Shenmue 3 is delayed until next year Summer 2018, why is that a big deal to you?

Its not coming to their preferred console and/or it's an easy target for shit posts.

Shenmue threads are turning as shitty as early Horizon Zero Dawn threads.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

So now we're calling Sega off the bench to win the Superbowl with a remaster announcement.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Trojan X

Banned

Excellent post. Well said.

Trojan X

Banned
All i care for more than Shenmue 3 at e3 is for Sega to showcase Shenmue HD, Remastered or whichever it will be. I have personally exhibited E3 several times and i know how demanding it is to prep and take time out for it. Hearing Yu Suzuki and his team skipping E3 so they can put their heads down to create the game that we can be satiafied with is music to my ears as it shows deducation for excellence. All i ask in exchange, or rather it has to be done anyway, is for yu suzuki to blow us away with a badass trailer of the game when it's ready to be showcased along with an expected release period.

Seriously, I'd rather shenmue 3 to be released properly than to be rushed out with bugs for Yu Suzuki has to get this right. After all, like Fox News and other ill news medias, gaming medias and ill gamers around will only give one shot and the moment something negative appear they will use that opportunity to run all over shenmue 3 (hello Polygon). Negative drama is the last thing shenmue need and any ounce of heavy negativity is the very last thing that yu suzuki need for his career/reputation. After all, there are only two gaming Gods and no one want it to drop to one (miyamoto) due to rushed efforts.

The team has been posting regular community updates so I'm not worried. I see this as a "all hands on deck" effort to launch the game on the original release date. But seriously, even if they end up delivering that, I would rather have it delayed a few more months if it means a better polished game. I have waited so many years already, I certainly won't mind waiting a few more months.

ianpm31

All I care about is that Shenmue 3 exists. I waited so long for S3 to be announced so to wait for it to finish development is peanuts

ASaiyan

Banned
But can we still hold out hope for a 1&2HD Collection this E3? That is the key question.

Edit: Dang, three posts in a row hungry for that remaster, lol.

not sure where Shenmue 3 fits in a world with Yakuza.
This is a very valid point. Yakuza 0 in particular reminded of Shenmue with its
sprawling plot that goes all the way back to China

I think most of what you wrote made perfect sense, and I respect that. But I think you're being harsh on him. Even if he's wrong about demanding more info about the project (which, tbh, I'm not sure if he is), it's nothing that much absurd to recquire such a strong response. The guy is a Shenmue fan, he backed it, he is fine the game won't show at E3, and I'm pretty sure it may be frustrating to him to get these kinds of responses when voicing his opinion as a fan and backer of the project. He is as human as Yu Suzuki.

Thanks, but it's okay, his answers are fine, we simply disagree on the amount of information provided regarding how things are going. The problem is that he also implies that since the game is being made we should just forget any kind of criticism with how things are ran. And that I think is total bullshit, you can be grateful that the game is indeed being made but have some complaints. I'm pretty sure if Yu and his team were to read this they would be mature enough to accept some criticism even if they don't agree with it.

Top Bottom