• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 won't be at E3

Boke1879

Oh yea and it's no shock this game isn't launching this year. IMO something like this demands time.

Also they give updates regularly. The game is alive. It's another TLG situation....yet.

Jimrpg

This is a pretty bad sign...

This sounds really dodgy to me :( First they announce an almost impossible release date in 2017. No game at E3 sounds like the game will definitely be released next year as there needs to be some marketing time before hand.

To think it was the first time I backed a project too.

Spaghetti

Bit disappointed, but I'm glad they came out and said it. A delay is pretty much definite now, but people have been widely expecting that since the reveal, so I'm going to be very suspicious of posts acting like it's some totally unexpected ominous sign.

The proper reveal is probably getting kicked down the road another six months, but tbh, I'd rather have them prioritise on development.

Expected. They announced it ridiculously early
Had to happen to get Kickstarted. No other way around that.

This is a pretty bad sign...
Not really. They keep the backers informed every month, and they've gotten out ahead of the E3 issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they promise a trailer early this year?
No. Yu Suzuki's direct quote is new video, which they've done in the dev diaries.

addik

I don't know why people are saying this is a bad sign anyway. That announcement had to be made early to get people hyped for the Kickstarter, and KS games never really have a firm release date, just estimations based on their current project goals. I'm sure they haven't factored in the status of the market when they made a November 2017 projection. Since Sony has a hand in this, I'm sure they'd push it to some date that isn't as crowded as November and that doesn't come in the way of one their 1st party games.

Besides, they've constantly given updates. I don't see why this is sketchy at all.

Spaghetti

This sounds really dodgy to me :( First they announce an almost impossible release date in 2017. No game at E3 sounds like the game will definitely be released next year as there needs to be some marketing time before hand.

To think it was the first time I backed a project too.
To quote the Kickstarter FAQ, which has been there since its launch:

A rigorous budget and schedule has been worked out with our production team and we believe our target of 2017 holiday season is within reach. That said, our goal is to make the best game possible (and one that the fans want!) so please understand the schedule may change as the project evolves. Frequent updates will be posted on the Update page.

C'mon. It's disappointing they're not making E3, but if they've revised their schedule, they've revised their schedule.

they promised a game this year lol

Has a Kickstarter ever been on time?

Most people who backed it don't care when it comes just the fact that it's being made.

I did.

Yakuza is just better. I feel like Shenmue didn't age well at all and I'm not expecting the studio to be able to handle current gen, like at all. Game will be super budget and probably end up disappointing most of its fanbase.

Shenmue is much older, of course it's aged a bit.

Also Yakuza 1 compared to 0 is a gigantic jump, not really a fair comparison besides all the other differences between the 2 games.

Has there been any hints about KH3 being at E3 or are you guys just being hopeful?

Guessing, besides there's a concert that same week in LA and it's quite possible Nomura makes the trip killing two birds with one stone.. he stated that he would pop up at a few concerts.. which ones? that's the mystery.

Spaghetti

It's worth pointing out that Sony's press conference is not E3.

There might still be chance for a trailer drop at Sony's conference but all this means is that they won't be showing the game off in a developer capacity at the show itself.
I wouldn't pin your hopes on this. They've gotten out in front of this issue on purpose, and I really doubt they're playing mindgames.

Every shenmue thread since announcement I swear
Wouldn't be a Shenmue III thread without a few driveby shitposts.

I did.

Yakuza is just better. I feel like Shenmue didn't age well at all and I'm not expecting the studio to be able to handle current gen, like at all. Game will be super budget and probably end up disappointing most of its fanbase.
It's cool that you like Yakuza, but come on man, there is no reason to say that one will be better than the other, or there is no place for one of them since we have the other one.

If you didn't find Shenmue interesting and thought Yakuza was better, then you can enjoy Yakuza like the rest of us. We can always talk about how and what we love about Yakuza in its own threads. There is no need to turn a Shenmue thread into a Yakuza one.

I wouldn't pin your hopes on this. They've gotten out in front of this issue on purpose, and I really doubt they're playing mindgames..

I know.

I'm just saying there is a tendency to equate the conferences as part of E3 game show which is... not really the case.

There's nothing in advance to indicate that FFVIIR or KH3 trailers will be at the show, it's just E3 hype monster shit.
Nah i'm just guessing but i think chances for a new KH3 trailer are pretty good.
Guessing, besides there's a concert that same week in LA and it's quite possible Nomura makes the trip killing two birds with one stone.. he stated that he would pop up at a few concerts.. which ones? that's the mystery.

I see. I have a friend who is a huge KH fan so I was wondering if I could give him the good news. I guess he has to keep on waiting for now :(

was coming to post this.... well i can't get too disappointed since i was expecting it to be released pretty late.

Why are people saying this, ie 2020? I mentioned the same thing a week ago and was told by someone on GAF that it's on track for December this year.

8Uvc.png

Spaghetti

It's cool that you like Yakuza, but come on man, there is no reason to say that one will be better than the other, or there is no place for one of them since we have the other one.

If you didn't find Shenmue interesting and thought Yakuza was better, then you can enjoy Yakuza like the rest of us. We can always talk about how and what we love about Yakuza in its own threads. There is no need to turn a Shenmue thread into a Yakuza one.
Good post.

Shenmue fans and Yakuza fans should have solidarity anyway, as we've largely been through similar shit from SEGA, and there's a fair bit of cross pollination between fanbases.

I know.

I'm just saying there is a tendency to equate the conferences as part of E3 game show which is... not really the case.
It is what it is. I'm glad they're being responsible and giving us a heads up at least.

i don't remember how much $ i backed with this but still pretty excited it's happening. though i think they will be delayed quite a few times.

i really think they need more funds for a bigger team.

Spaghetti

Why are people saying this, ie 2020? I mentioned the same thing a week ago and was told by someone on GAF that it's on track for December this year.
People are going for worst case scenario, even if the dates are pretty hyperbolic. I wouldn't expect the game to be delayed later than December next year though.

still hope for Shenmue 1-2 HD?
Yeah. Ball is in SEGA's court on that one and could very well still happen.

lupinko

vaporware

edit: not sure where Shenmue 3 fits in a world with Yakuza.

It fits in just fine? The games are not only different gameplay and design wise, but they're also thematically different.

Yakuza: Crime drama in Japan.
Shenmue: Retribution adventure in China.

It's like saying why should they bother with RDR2 when there's GTAV.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Already knew this. Was never expecting this, FFVIIR or KH3 even before any of them were confirmed to not be at E3. 2020 at the earliest for all three is my guess.

8Uvc.png

Yeah no it's not coming out in 2017, probably not even 2018 if we're being really honest here. Scheduling game development is an absolute nightmare and downright impossible most of the time because every game has unforeseen technical issues of some kind during development and every major Kickstarter game has never made its targeted release date.

Spaghetti

It's not coming out in December this year if there isn't any gameplay shown before the end of summer.
If we're talking semantics, we saw gameplay in the March update. Just really, really fleetingly. But I agree, I think the game is getting pushed back now, and probably impacted their decision to not show at E3.

Announce that shit and then we play it 7 years later.
Had to be announced to get Kickstarted. You know that.

Josh5890

As cool as Sony's E3 2015 conference was to many, I don't really want to hear games announced that won't be coming out for a good five years.

Jcgamer60

Disappointing, but they should take all the time they need to continue crafting Yu Suzuki's masterpiece series.

These Yakuza and Shenmue comparisons need to stop as they are too entirely difference types of games. Both being produced by Sega is no excuse to draw comparisons.

Strings

So confused by the TLG comparisons. Like, they've got at least another 3 years before you can even start to make that claim...

Atomski

With the limited budget it would be stupid to waste on E3. People are forgetting this is pretty much an indie game that was kick-started.

Top Bottom