• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should MS Moneyhat Virtua Fighter 6?

Both Tekken and DoA have free to play versions. Neither of those did big. They had leukwarm reception. And VF is more niche than those two. So people at Sega understand this is a waste of time.

What ? Tekken 7 is not free to play !

and DOA5 Last Round free to play did very well ! Over 8 millions downloads !

WTF the bullshit i see everyday on the internet...

Street of Rage should crossover with Virtua Fighter. Bring us Virtua Fighter 6 -Bare Knuckles
bare-knuckle-3-team-sor3-sega-20061257-800-600.jpg

Microsoft has Killer Instinct, I don't see why they would moneyhat this and as others have said, it would not sell well seeing as how probably half the sales from previous games are from Japan. It should be crowd-funded for the PC and then Microsoft can then invest some money to pay for an Xbox port which would still allow Sony and Nintendo to also support it if they wish.

What ? Tekken 7 is not free to play !

and DOA5 Last Round free to play did very well ! Over 8 millions downloads !

WTF the bullshit i see everyday on the internet...

Tekken revolution on ps3 was free to play though. It was pretty good, but the fact you could only play a few times within a certain time frame killed the game for a lot of people. Again, it was pretty good, but imo the doa core fighters free to play structure was vastly superior to tekken revolution’s.

Last edited:

This American Intro is really catchy. SEGA should invest in creating a compelling marketing strategy for Virtua Fighter if they plan to bring the game back. Namco has always outclassed them in this area. These small touches really matter.

SEGA needs to hire a director for the game intros. Hire a writer to create a compelling story for a new game.

Their rivals. If you want to be the best you have to invest. The same can be said for KoF.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Go ahead, no one is going to buy it anyhow. The franchise died in the 90s.

SNG32

Even though I wouldn’t mind I don’t think many xbox players would be into it unless it was free to play. Plus wasn’t there a strong Japanese base with virtua fighter? I don’t think a Japanese fighting game exclusive would farewell in japan where a console is selling peanuts.

After the disaster that was Virtua Fighter 5, I've come to the conclusion that Virtua Fighter 6 should only be made if Yu Suzuki is directing.

Even though I wouldn’t mind I don’t think many xbox players would be into it unless it was free to play. Plus wasn’t there a strong Japanese base with virtua fighter? I don’t think a Japanese fighting game exclusive would farewell in japan where a console is selling peanuts.

The FGC consists of 4 million dedicated fans all that is required is to create something palatable. Virtua Fighter has to recreate itself. Maybe get a small crossover villain say Feng Wei from Tekken attacks Akira.

Last edited:
Virtua fighter isn’t a strong enough brand to moneyhat imo. I would love sega to release vf1 to vf5 as a package on the current gen consoles. They could also chuck in sega rally and daytona usa 1 and 2, scud race and sega touring cars.

Xenon

As someone who thinks the series regressed after 3, it's a lose lose situation for me. On one hand no more VF on the other more VF:Tekken. No thanks.

If MS wanted to money hat a fighting franchise from Sega I'd rather have them give Eternal Champions to Iron Galaxy. It would be almost a clean slate for them since the game didnt have a strong identity outside of the brutal deaths. Plus it would be interesting to see what they could do when they're not locked into KI's combo system.

dirthead

Banned
As someone who thinks the series regressed after 3, it's a lose lose situation for me. On one hand no more VF on the other more VF:Tekken. No thanks.

If MS wanted to money hat a fighting franchise from Sega I'd rather have them give Eternal Champions to Iron Galaxy. It would be almost a clean slate for them since the game didnt have a strong identity outside of the brutal deaths. Plus it would be interesting to see what they could do when they're not locked into KI's combo system.

I completely agree with you. Virtua Fighter 3, like the two games before it, was years ahead of its time and basically a preview of the future of video game graphics.

The only way to make a Virtua Fighter that lives up to the legacy of the old games would be to make a crazy, bleeding edge game, but then it'd actually have to have a budget, which they don't have, so the whole thing's a waste of time.

If Nvidia wasn't retarded (but they are), they'd be paying Sega to make a Virtua Fighter that used ray tracing and only worked on their new GPUs, because it'd perfectly align with VF's legacy and Nvidia's goals. VF needs to be bleeding edge. Fighting games are the perfect technical showcase title. Small maps, focused only only really two main objects. You can just throw hardware resources at a tiny little scene. Basically, a VF sequel that actually took advantage of modern PC hardware should look like a CG movie at this point.

dirthead

Banned
If they're going to throw money around then a series of arcade perfect Sega racers would be the way to go. I'd buy a couple of copies at least.

The latest version of Daytona already runs on a PC with basically no changes required. The fact that you can't buy it on Steam is just another shining example of Sega's stupidity.

No, SEGA should. They should follow Tekken 7 route or the Dead or Alive paid or and FTP one for current hardwares and realise later a full package for next gens.

I would love to play a new Virtua Fighter, i still have fun with my japanese copy of 2 on SegaSaturn. :)

If Sega wanted to be sexy they would announce Virtua Fighter 6 with the inclusion of Streets of Rage characters it would help strengthen both brands.
flat,800x800,070,f.u1.jpg

RAIDEN1

Reading that tweet earlier, got me thinking that since Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, that is probably the best 3d fighter on the market, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur et all be damned, even after all these years after the release of the final installment, I don't think it has been bettered in all this time....correct me if I am wrong.

I've given Sega and MS a road map to print money. You gotta have faith. Cross that stale as story up with Streets of Rage and Die Hard.

Bring us John McClane shit. Harada taking my peeps lunch money.

306424.jpg

Last edited:
Never knew this.

Interesting question for the VF5 developer.

Kikizo: This is something we noticed when talking with you previously as well as talks we had with several other Japanese developers, the people in Japan who develop videogames love western first person shooters yet for the Japanese public it remains a niche genre. Why do you think Japanese developers enjoy them so much while the people buying games in Japan seem to be uncaring for the genre?

Osaki: I think it's because in foreign markets, FPS games are kind of considered "flagship" titles for demonstrating new technology and the power of the hardware. In Japan's game market, fighting and racing games fall more into this line of thinking. So game companies here naturally want to check the newest FPS games out to see how the technology is being put to use. Stuff like FEAR and STALKER uses a new engine, as does the Unreal series. Plus, most of them are very well developed. Call of Duty 4 in particular is extremely impressive. It has the look and feel of an arcade game in places: it's very speedy and it keeps 60 frames per second. Well, on the 360, anyway. The fact that the game is challenging is good, too. The match recording system in CoD is also excellent - we actually referred to the way it works when making the recording system in the arcade version of VF5.

source: http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/features/sega-am2-vf5r-interview-oct08-p1.asp

Last edited:

Caio

No. Nobody will play it on a Microsoft console, and the ones who really want to play it, will not be able to play, and will never buy XBox for that game. Very silly idea if you ask me.

HeresJohnny

A genre that is struggling to regain mainstream appeal on a console that is struggling globally. Sure, why not? I mean, car companies are making fake engine noise that comes over the speakers to make tiny engines sound more manly, so anything can happen.

Alucardx23

Tekken Producer Katsuhiro Harada has expressed interest in directing Virtua Fighter 6 in an interview witth Hip Hop Gamer. A sure fire way for Microsoft to make a big splash at E3 2018 or 19 is to show us the real graphical power of a true 4K Virtua Fighter. I remember the days when Virtua fighter was the graphical standard bearer. I 'd like to see a story mode that tries to create or recap the stories from the game. It would be nice to see one of those snazy CG intros and those endings that Tekken is known for.

I 'd love to see what Harada could do with the series that birthed 3d fighters.

YES! PLEASE!

FeldMonster

Only if MS buys all of Sega. Otherwise, VF alone is nearly worthless for them. It is already on life support compared to its 3D competitors of Tekken and DOA.

Kreydo

Fighting games are too expensives, complicated to make for such a low customer base, it's sad but it's the reality.

Teenager and kids which are the publisher main target when it comes to video games don't know fighting games.
As long as Fortnite, and mobile game are top in chart there is no way you find big budget fighting game.

Top Bottom