• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

For those still on the fence about which version to get (at least between Wii U and 3DS), I'd recommend the Wii U version. I've played both extensively at this point, and while the stereoscopic 3D in the 3DS version does look really great, the way StreetPass is implemented in Shovel Knight isn't all that compelling in my opinion. Plus, a lot of people don't like the 3DS's 3D, and without it on, the game looks significantly worse on the 3DS's low-res screen than it does in HD on the Wii U.

Seeing the fantastic pixel art on a big, beautiful HD screen and having the stupidly awesome Kaufman/Matsumae chip music soundtrack pumped into your ears via legit speakers just takes the already great Shovel Knight experience to a whole new level entirely.

Plus, the Wii U Pro Controller is quite easily the best official controller to play Shovel Knight with. It feels perfectly good on 3DS and on the Wii U GamePad, but the Pro Controller is the way to go if you can swing it.

That said, I did find relic selection to be most convenient via the 3DS's touch screen, but that's not enough of an advantage to recommend the 3DS version more than the Wii U one in my opinion.

Go Wii U if you can. Otherwise, the game is fantastic on any platform you can play it on, so you can't go wrong either way.

Yeah, not sure why anybody wouldn't go Wii U if they had the choice.

KooopaKid

Banned
For those still on the fence about which version to get (at least between Wii U and 3DS), I'd recommend the Wii U version. I've played both extensively at this point, and while the stereoscopic 3D in the 3DS version does look really great, the way StreetPass is implemented in Shovel Knight isn't all that compelling in my opinion. Plus, a lot of people don't like the 3DS's 3D, and without it on, the game looks significantly worse on the 3DS's low-res screen than it does in HD on the Wii U.

Seeing the fantastic pixel art on a big, beautiful HD screen and having the stupidly awesome Kaufman/Matsumae chip music soundtrack pumped into your ears via legit speakers just takes the already great Shovel Knight experience to a whole new level entirely.

Plus, the Wii U Pro Controller is quite easily the best official controller to play Shovel Knight with. It feels perfectly good on 3DS and on the Wii U GamePad, but the Pro Controller is the way to go if you can swing it.

That said, I did find relic selection to be most convenient via the 3DS's touch screen, but that's not enough of an advantage to recommend the 3DS version more than the Wii U one in my opinion.

Go Wii U if you can. Otherwise, the game is fantastic on any platform you can play it on, so you can't go wrong either way.

Shit man, you make me question my decision! :)
Thanks for the advice, that makes sense. I still want to see a 3DS screenshot with 3D on at least!

Regiruler

Yeah, not sure why anybody wouldn't go Wii U if they had the choice.
The higher pixel density makes retro games look better, IMO. I initially was sold on the 3DS version after seeing the Megaman 3DS NES Vc titles, but seeing the two 3DS shovel knight 3DS screenshots affirms my decision.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not having a Wii U is really nice in situations like this.

I still wish I had a Wii U

U guys are making me want to switch to WiiU version. I was about to a week ago and thought the portability would be best, but now I want to play on the big screen.

Regiruler

Playing on the Wii U gamepad has the same effect.

Digger's diary is the biggest reason I'm even interested in the Wii U version, and since that uses the gamepad it's incompatible with off-tv.
Not to mention that I've played NES VC on both systems, and I think they look better on the 3DS, regardless of what screen I am playing on for the Wii U version.

Doesn't see anything in the OP, but in sure it's been abated a million times. Either way, if you backed the kickstarter and were getting a download code, when are you supposed to get it?

thefro

Digger's diary is the biggest reason I'm even interested in the Wii U version, and since that uses the gamepad it's incompatible with off-tv.
Not to mention that I've played NES VC on both systems, and I think they look better on the 3DS, regardless of what screen I am playing on for the Wii U version.

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/467375093400616960

Off-TV play is supported, so I'm pretty sure you can still use the Digger's Diary while playing on the Gamepad with the TV off. Might be something where you have to cycle through or hit pause instead.

Kirye

I am so hyped for this, been waiting for this game forever. Everything looks so well polished, and the music is just spectacular. My biggest problem is that I can't decide what version of the game to get.

3DS or PC.. What do GAF?

Wookieomg

God I cannot wait for this!! One of my most hyped games in recent memory, and one of the first KS-backed games of mine to come to fruition. :D

zroid

Banned
Honestly guys, I'm sure you'll be happy with either version, don't stress out about it so much. :p

Unless you have an OG 3DS in which case the d-pad might be a problem.

Like I said before, the only reason I'm being prodded slightly toward the Wii U version is for the DD points.

I'm still debating whether to get this for Steam or Wii U. inb4 someone says "get both" because I could only afford one for now. I hope I'll own SK for all 3 platforms in the future.

I am so hyped for this, been waiting for this game forever. Everything looks so well polished, and the music is just spectacular. My biggest problem is that I can't decide what version of the game to get.

3DS or PC.. What do GAF?

Both. Considering triple dipping on PC, 3DS and Wii U (for the diary), haha. Will play through on PC first though.

Me in 24 hours

kKQUW4Q.jpg

drotahorror

Any word on length yet? I'm in no matter what, but I'm hoping it isn't too short.

I saw a few completion times from reviewers on twitter that were between 6 1/2 hrs and 9 hrs.

They didn't 100% the game. There's New Game+ after that.

Keep in mind there's still Challenge Mode, Gender Swap Mode, the 3 different playable boss modes, and Battle mode to come in future free updates.

So pretty long game, and sounds like quite a bit of replayability.

This game is legit in terms of quantity.

Kiant

Hope they release the OST at some point, just checking out the Polygon coverage makes me want to hear more!.

Persona7

Banned
Out of curiosity, what makes you think there will be a bonus? I haven't really looked into GOG much, admittedly.

They usually have bonuses compared to the steam version. Like soundtracks, wallpapers,manuals,small guides, etc. Not always but frequently

Regiruler

They usually have bonuses compared to the steam version. Like soundtracks, wallpapers,manuals,small guides, etc. Not always but frequently

Most of that stuff is either free (soundtrack is going to be pay-what-you-want on bandcamp) already or a backer reward.
I wouldn't hold my breath for any goodies on GOG.

Persona7

Banned
Most of that stuff is either free (soundtrack is going to be pay-what-you-want on bandcamp) already or a backer reward.
I wouldn't hold my breath for any goodies on GOG.

I totally forgot about the backer rewards, but that could be a way to get them if you didn't back the kickstarter.

Regiruler

I totally forgot about the backer rewards, but that could be a way to get them if you didn't back the kickstarter.

They've mentioned that they want to sell them separately. I'm not sure if that would affect their chances one way or another in regards to them being toss-ins.
If there's anything, it's probably going to be just the Digital Manual. They are selling it + the digital artbook preorder as a $10 more deluxe version preorder on their own website, so I doubt they would include the artbook as well.

Yuterald

Kickstarted a Wii U copy back during the pre-launch days. Pretty excite to jump into this tomorrow night after work. I've watched bits and pieces of trailers here and there over the past year, but I'm mostly going in blind on this game.

Kirye

Both. Considering triple dipping on PC, 3DS and Wii U (for the diary), haha. Will play through on PC first though.

I'll probably end up buying each version of it down the road, but I have a wife and kid so spending 45$ day one isn't exactly responsible. :p

I'm thinking probably get the 3DS version and pick up the PC version on a Steam sale later on. I'll get the Wii U one later on but i'm more inclined to play it on my PC if it's on a home system.

Brakke

Banned
I have gone to the 3DS eShop every single day this week thinking "oh man maybe what if they screwed up and it released early please oh please". No dice yet but man am I hyped.

Top Bottom