• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

duckroll

Downloading for 3DS now! What a great surprise! I can actually play this before destroying my brain at Bayformers later! :D

Do any sites sell eshop credit to be shipped instantly/digitally that accepts Paypal? Money's kind of tight right now but I have some Paypal credit.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Maybe old but re: checkpoints
you can break them for loot but then they stop working as checkpoints? neat.

I think I'd like to pick this up, but I'm not sure for what platform.

3DS means I can play on the go.

Wii U means I can play on my TV.

Steam means Steam stuff.

I can't choose.

Salsa

Steam means Steam stuff.

I can't choose.

I had this debacle but between 3DS and Steam

ended up on this: 3DS has 3D and the pixel art is pitch perfect on it. Steam version has regional pricing differences and will go on sale way sooner if I want to double dip.

so: 3DS

BraXzy

Steam means Steam stuff.

I can't choose.

I already backed for Steam and 3DS and I'm probably going to triple dip on my Wii U since I own one now :3

I would be extremely happy with my 3DS version but this damn system is so uncomfortable to use that the base of my left thumb feels like it's going to get such terrible carpal tunnel one day it will simply explode. It's slightly less uncomfortable with the circle pad, but it's hard to be precise while moving left and right doing the pogo attack. I'll probably double-dip on Steam at some point.

I can't choose.

Same here...I greatly prefer playing on the TV, but I'm going on vacation for a week on Friday and the 3DS version would help to pass any downtime.

Sadly I didn't back this, so I Guess I have all night to figure it out.

Cuburt

For those still on the fence about which version to get (at least between Wii U and 3DS), I'd recommend the Wii U version. I've played both extensively at this point, and while the stereoscopic 3D in the 3DS version does look really great, the way StreetPass is implemented in Shovel Knight isn't all that compelling in my opinion. Plus, a lot of people don't like the 3DS's 3D, and without it on, the game looks significantly worse on the 3DS's low-res screen than it does in HD on the Wii U.

Seeing the fantastic pixel art on a big, beautiful HD screen and having the stupidly awesome Kaufman/Matsumae chip music soundtrack pumped into your ears via legit speakers just takes the already great Shovel Knight experience to a whole new level entirely.

Plus, the Wii U Pro Controller is quite easily the best official controller to play Shovel Knight with. It feels perfectly good on 3DS and on the Wii U GamePad, but the Pro Controller is the way to go if you can swing it.

That said, I did find relic selection to be most convenient via the 3DS's touch screen, but that's not enough of an advantage to recommend the 3DS version more than the Wii U one in my opinion.

Go Wii U if you can. Otherwise, the game is fantastic on any platform you can play it on, so you can't go wrong either way.
Thanks for this. It doesn't make the choice much easier but I did notice the low res in the trailer on the 3DS eShop and from videos online for the Wii U it looks more crisp.

The parallax scrolling should look beautiful with the 3D effect though.

I may still double dip since I've been considering doing that since it was first on Kickstarter, but Wii U might be my choice.

Jake Kaufman chiptunes pumped through my sound system >>>>> the 3DSXL's disappointing speakers

TehOh

Wrote up my review today, and I ended up writing over 2000 words on the damn thing.

I, um, I kind of liked it. You guys are in for one hell of a treat.

Played it on 3DS if anybody has any specific questions.

Downloaded on my WiiU and 3DS, perfect because I'm going on vacation Saturday and I probably won't have time to beat the WiiU version by then. Game is as awesome as advertised beat the intro stage and explored the town. Used all my gold on health upgrades because they seemed the most useful of what was available.

EDIT: Didn't know IGN had an exclusive review. So they didn't break embargo, but Yacht Club giving them an early review by just a few hours is still weird...

*does the downloading now dance*

Man, and here I was worried about not getting a download code at 9:00 p.m. EST when everyone else had access to it! Cheers, Yacht Club! Backer bonus appreciated!

apparently they had an exclusive

IGN got an exclusive review, which is pretty much the dumbest thing. Not sure what the folks at Yacht Club were thinking.

Ah, I didn't know that. I take back what I said about them breaking embargo then, but yeah, that still sucks. I've spoken to the Yacht Club guys several times, and given that they're a fine bunch of folks who are genuine about their passion for this game, I too wonder what they were thinking.

Ah well, it is what it is.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I was streaming for a bit, and I might again later. I beat the third boss, and it's pretty fun so far. I just want some new abilities soon.

maxcriden

EDIT: Didn't know IGN had an exclusive review. So they didn't break embargo, but Yacht Club giving them an early review by just a few hours is still weird...

Yeah, I noticed that. Super weird. Maybe they had a special deal or somethin'. Maybe it was by accident, though.

ETA: edited just in time!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game looks/sounds and feels pretty cool so far. Physics feel okay.

screenshot2014-06-2503sscz.png

They got an exclusive review... hours before the game comes out?

That seems... completely pointless.
Probably to coincide with the surprise early release for backers.

Salsa

game's amazing

only bad thing I can say about it is that the 3D makes some stuff a bit harder to see, but I'd mostly reduce it to the first level since the only part that was bothering me was the watterfalls

first boss fight is rad

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
There is a new ability in every level and there are some abilities you can buy in towns.

Hmm, not sure how I noticed that. I'll boot it back up and check.

edit: I've already gotten items, but I thought there were more abilities like that air-dash or whatever. Oh well, I'll know soon.

So is the chaos orb a one time buy or is it one of those expendable items? Was deciding if it was worth blowing the rest of my money on or saving till I can buy a bunch

duckroll

The 3D effect on the 3DS is really well done. They definitely put a lot of effort into designing the effect and all the individual layers. I probably won't play with it on all the time, but it's a nice touch for an extra gimmick.

Hyped. 3DS version it will be. For me, the stereoscopic 3D won over Battle mode. Plus the Wii U version won't benefit graphics-wise because of the art style

Wii U version will probably provide that NES nostalgic feel.
That said, I think I'll get the 3DS version tomorrow and then the Wii U one later.

Top Bottom