• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

I just got a 3DS and just lost my 360 controller. This release date works out beautifully. Currently playing pokemon, so shovel knight will be a good palette cleanser between long pokemon stints.

Cat Party

Only recently found out about this game. Looks incredible. A great mix of the most endearing features and aesthetics of NES sidescrollers. I see Mega Man, Zelda 2, and Low G Man in the videos. Hype.

Pappasman

I just had the realization that I am going to triple dip on this. I'm getting the Wii U version from kickstarter, but I'll probably buy 3DS and PC as well. Shovel Hype!!

We'll guess mine is switched to WiiU. I asked "if" I could switch and they sent me an email confirming the change. Wasn't sure I wanted give up portability.

eXistor

I backed this a long time ago, can't wait to finally get my hands on it tomorrow on my WiiU. Finally an NES-style game the way I remember them being, not them necessarily actually being.

Eyothrie

Hyped. 3DS version it will be. For me, the stereoscopic 3D won over Battle mode. Plus the Wii U version won't benefit graphics-wise because of the art style

Shit man, you make me question my decision! :)
Thanks for the advice, that makes sense. I still want to see a 3DS screenshot with 3D on at least!

3D is a big thing for me, hmmmmmmm.

Yep. I'm going 3DS for sure, as I have zero issues with 3D and enjoy the depth it gives visuals. I may double dip for Wii U anyway though, so eh.

If you play your 3DS with the 3D on, Shovel Knight REALLY delivers on that front. The 3D is some of the best I've seen on the system, which isn't surprising considering stereoscopic 3D seems particularly well-suited to pixel graphics (see all the Nintendo and SEGA 3D Classics, for instance).

I still prefer playing it on the Wii U overall for the reasons I already stated, but the game is awesome on both platforms.

Not just Mega Man. I'd say it's equal parts Mega Man, Castlevania, DuckTales, Zelda II, and its own original brand of awesomeness. But it's not like Mario at all, no.

zroid

Banned
IGN review: 9.0/10

I absolutely love Shovel Knight. It doesn't only understand what retro gamers want; it also understands exactly what it is, copping plentiful inspiration from the past while forming it all into its own game. At seven or eight hours long your first time through (and a New Game+ mode once you beat it), it lasts longer than your typical throwback, and all of that time is well-spent, whether you're getting through a new stage, going back to an old one to grind for money to buy upgrades, or exploring its many secrets. It plays brilliantly, looks stunning, and sounds great.

Shovel Knight is my favorite game of 2014 so far, and a true testament to the power of the old-school. Whether you were weaned on an NES like I was, or don't yet know what you missed in a time before you were born, Shovel Knight is an absolute must-play.

ConfusedFall

Neo Member
Got my code, but there doesn't seem to an OSX version on steam yet.

Bummer, guess ill have to wait a bit longer.

Edit: Whoops, totally thought the mac version was being released at the same time as the pc version, but it's not.

Salsa

F70UIce.jpg

unf unf unf

Effer

Hmm, the 3DS version for the touch-screen submenu, or the PC version so I can use an actual quality d-pad to play the game. I'm stumped.

Top Bottom