• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

Yuterald

Playing the Wii U version so far. I hate to be one of those guys and I try not to have knee jerk reactions like this, but...I think this is my GOTY. I'm in absolute love with everything I've seen/done so far in this game. I knew ex-Wayforward dudes had it in them, but shit, this game is legit as fuck. I think one could say that I may be in a honeymoon phase/moment with the game (especially due to the surprise release tonight), but I'm two stages in and it's probably the most raw, straight-up fun I've had with a game all year.

Beat the first couple of levels and really enjoying it. Still not quite giving me the same joy 1001 spikes did (make sure to play that game!) but clearly a quality package.

Prophane33

Was originally going to grab this on Steam, but the Tree House live stream from E3 convinced me to grab the 3ds version. Can't wait.

Yuterald

(Pogo feels better than it did in DuckTales Remastered to me, lol)

I really like how tight it is so far.

Ha, I completely agree. Pogo feels super tight. Seriously, this destroys all recent efforts from Wayforward and I've only scratched the surface with this game. I LOVE the checkpoint system too. I already cleared a stage with having them all destroyed. Feels SO good!

Eusis

Can't stand the other controls without setting jump to A and Attack to B... which won't be as nice on the Pro Controller as the Classic Controller Pro. I like using the Wii Remote with this and think I'll stick with that.

Salsa

lookin rad on 3DS

i6MfylGRUNZfA.jpg

crunchy pixels

rezn0r

wtf, i'm a fool. maybe it was me avoiding reading about this at all until it showed up but it took me a few levels in to realize 'down' is for the pogo, not down+attack. game just went from WTF to WTF AWESOME for me... back to it. enjoy everyone! steam version here.

Welp, I think I've got my Game of the Year here.

This is what I dreamed video games would be like in the future when I was ten.

Hale-XF11

wtf, i'm a fool. maybe it was me avoiding reading about this at all until it showed up but it took me a few levels in to realize 'down' is for the pogo, not down+attack. game just went from WTF to WTF AWESOME for me... back to it. enjoy everyone! steam version here.

Also, once you're in pogo mode, you don't have to keep holding down if you want to keep pogo-ing and attack cancels pogo mode.

legbone

didn't know this was ex-wayforward guys until today. love wayforward and everything they do/did. anyway, my question for those that have played it: how hard is the game? i'm not in the mood for something super frustrating/unforgiving. i mean, i don't mind some challenge but i'm not looking for the dark souls of platformers. sorry, i'm an old man and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. however my favorite zelda is the adventure of link and seeing shovel knight pogo on enemies hits the nostalgia strings just right.

tldr: how hard is this game. i'm an old fart.

Played the first two levels, and went through the village. These are the kind of games I miss playing. Time for some Justice...
Shovel Justice!

For reference, I chose the Wii U edition.

Minsc

Gold Member
Game is charming as hell. :) Music is great and the way they slice the humor in to the dialog like in the "more info" text about the songs is really nice. Only played through the first stage and the town, but it feels really polished and the controls are great (360 pad + Steam), and I've already had a few moments of pleasant surprise where I stumbled across solutions accidentally that in hindsight are perfectly logical.

Salsa

Beat the first couple of levels and really enjoying it. Still not quite giving me the same joy 1001 spikes did (make sure to play that game!) but clearly a quality package.

considering how great this looks on 3DS im tempted to buy 1001 spikes in there to

but.. i'll resist. will grab 1001 on steam soon

Hale-XF11

didn't know this was ex-wayforward guys until today. love wayforward and everything they do/did. anyway, my question for those that have played it: how hard is the game? i'm not in the mood for something super frustrating/unforgiving. i mean, i don't mind some challenge but i'm not looking for the dark souls of platformers. sorry, i'm an old man and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. however my favorite zelda is the adventure of link and seeing shovel knight pogo on enemies hits the nostalgia strings just right.

As an old fart myself, I found it fairly challenging, though just a tiny bit on the easy side. It's fair without being frustrating. Any mistakes/deaths I had while playing were always my own fault and not the game's.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Shootin' the shit.

Need this in graphics that use CRT blending cuz that'd be neat.

Ha, I completely agree. Pogo feels super tight. Seriously, this destroys all recent efforts from Wayforward and I've only scratched the surface with this game. I LOVE the checkpoint system too. I already cleared a stage with having them all destroyed. Feels SO good!
Yeah, I love the checkpoint placement, myself. Good places in case beginners want to try their luck.

legbone

As an old fart myself, I found it fairly challenging, though just a tiny bit on the easy side. It's fair without being frustrating. Any mistakes/deaths I had while playing were always my own fault and not the game's.

thank you. i hear those wii u gamepads are kinda pricy. j/k, i haven't thrown a controller in about 20 years. ah the good/bad old days. back when your controller was connected to the console and when you threw it it would pull the system with it. sorry just had a flashback.

I enjoyed 1001 Spikes a lot as well... until a few later levels that included
penguins
. One of those levels in particular kind of hurts the game for me. But anyway, this game... Shovel Knight so far is a lot of fun. It's like they have applied all these wonderful modern ideas into an old game without making things silly. Plus the soundtrack is fucking fantastic. Hopefully there are none of those creatures in here presented in the same awful way as 1001 Spikes.

Yuterald

Tried no-check-pointing that Castlevania-like stage with the killer music. Kept fucking things up about half way through. Ugh...gotta get up for work early and it's WAY past my bedtime, ha! I gotta retire for the night. Game's way, way too good.

Hale-XF11

thank you. i hear those wii u gamepads are kinda pricy. j/k, i haven't thrown a controller in about 20 years. ah the good/bad old days. back when your controller was connected to the console and when you threw it it would pull the system with it. sorry just had a flashback.

And when you threw the controller, it survived the impact. Ah, the good ol' days indeed. :')

This game was seriously meant to be played on an old CRT monitor with an NES pad.

Five

Banned
I'm loving the game so far. Just beat the second boss,
Spectre
Knight. The run speed is a tad slower than I'd like, and it bums me out that there's subpixel rendering going on, but the game is great and the music and artwork are fantastic. I'll definitely keep playing for the next couple hours or so.

It's the right amount of challenge, I think. I've died a handful of times (mostly to bosses), but it's always been my fault.

Regiruler

And to think I was content playing House of the Dead 4. Goddamnit why does D&B have to so far away from my house. This drive home is going to be torture, and we have to stop for groceries on the way home.

Yuterald

Welp, I think I've got my Game of the Year here.

This is what I dreamed video games would be like in the future when I was ten.

Yeah, I think this is my GOTY too. I mean, I liked Dark Souls II (I'm a bitter old man when it comes to From's games though) and Drakengard 3 has a humorous (but a the same time a very serious) stake in the running for me as well, but this is on a whole other level. It's like everything I've wanted from of a modern day 2D Castlevania/Mega Man game.

Top Bottom