• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

ionitron

I switched my Steam key for a 3DS copy. Just asked for it on an email.

kind of a personal response and all so I doubt it's something they're actively doing or promoting, but give it a shot.

I hope you don't mind if I ask, but did you ask HumbleBundle for that?

I have the steam key because I didn't have a 3DS at the time, I would have rather bought it for that had I known I'd get one =( As it turns out I can't even play the Steam version for my mac lol.

Regiruler

I hope you don't mind if I ask, but did you ask HumbleBundle for that?

I have the steam key because I didn't have a 3DS at the time, I would have rather bought it for that had I known I'd get one =( As it turns out I can't even play the Steam version for my mac lol.
He probably asked YCG considering he said the response was personal. Your success rate will be a little iffy this late.

ionitron

He probably asked YCG considering he said the response was personal. Your success rate will be a little iffy this late.

Ah, figured as such. I'll just wait. I think paying for the 3DS copy was a higher tier in the Kickstarter than just the Steam copy of the game anyway.

thefro

What are the PC system requirements

I don't see them in the OP and cant find them anywhere

They actually just put the Steam page up
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250760/

System Requirements
Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 ghz or equivalent
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 2nd Generation Intel Core HD Graphics (2000/3000), 256MB
DirectX: Version 9.0
Hard Drive: 200 MB available space

It's one of those times where I wish I could connect to wifi at work (if we have any) so I can download and play this at lunch.

Blues1990

Since I'm a Nintendo 3DS & Nintendo Wii U owner, I can't make up my mind for which version of Shovel Knight that I want to purchase. And before you say "why not both," by gaming budget is pretty tight right now, so I'm in no position to double dip.

Kurt

I like having 3D view, so i'm going with the 3ds version instead.
Still going to check screens or trailer first to see how good the 3d is...

I don't want to port beg, but does anyone know if YCG have plans to release this on other consoles? I love the look of it, but don't currently have a Nintendo system (will probably get a Wii U in time), and would love to play this on the Vita.

I don't want to port beg, but does anyone know if YCG have plans to release this on other consoles? I love the look of it, but don't currently have a Nintendo system (will probably get a Wii U in time), and would love to play this on the Vita.

I know at one point they made a statement about wanting to get it on all consoles.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

the devs straight up laughed at the possibility of a vita port :(

I've been playing a review copy of it and impressions are not embargoed, so here are some thoughts about the game:

The level design is pretty good, the gameplay is extremely fun and the soundtrack is absolutely great. The Dark Souls influences are pretty clear and sometimes I feel like I'm playing a 2D Souls game.

The only problem I've found so far (I'm 3 hours into the game) is that the second screen on the 3DS is pratically useless.

AggroWill

Neo Member
I've been playing a review copy, and the game's fantastic. It also has the most brilliantly designed tutorial level I've ever seen in a game.

I made this video analyzing it, which I fully admit is "inspired by" (ripped off, with poorer narration and no animation) Egoraptor's Mega Man X Sequelitis video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSKgUvhw48

Echoes

The only problem I've found so far (I'm 3 hours into the game) is that the second screen on the 3DS is pratically useless.
Choosing relics (2ndary weapons) instantly is awesome, no? I think the Wii U has the same feature, but in PC you have to bring up a menu for that. Nothing groundbreaking but I found it really useful.

zroid

Banned
ahhhh the launch trailer is awesome...

Since I'm a Nintendo 3DS & Nintendo Wii U owner, I can't make up my mind for which version of Shovel Knight that I want to purchase. And before you say "why not both," by gaming budget is pretty tight right now, so I'm in no position to double dip.

DDP was the tiebreaker for me. :p

So it's $14.99 - Should I expect that to be £14.99 or will it be a straight conversion from $ to £?

If it's £15 it will be the most expensive digital purchase I've made other than when I've used free coupons to buy stuff (what a waste of £40 Dragon's Crown was!) - but it looks fantastic, so I'm willing to take a chance.

jacobeid

Banned
I really can't decide whether to get this game for PC, Wii U, or 3DS, but on the other hand I'm in the middle of a few games right now and my schedule is incredibly busy. I guess I'll wait for a sale to be the deciding factor.

Game looks so good.

john tv

Final boss is a good challenge but in no way overly difficult or grindy (or unfair). Basically if you can finish, say, Mega Man 2, you should be able to finish Shovel Knight.

Loved the game, BTW. Amazing music, too.

maxcriden

the devs straight up laughed at the possibility of a vita port :(

???

I could've sworn they said they wanted to bring it to Vita. Maybe you're taking the laugh out of context, lol.

it was towards the tail end of their kickstarter, maybe (hopefully) they changed their mind

I spoke with YCG for you, THT and jon. Vita is still on the table as a potential release platform they're interested in.

Final boss is a good challenge but in no way overly difficult or grindy (or unfair). Basically if you can finish, say, Mega Man 2, you should be able to finish Shovel Knight.

Loved the game, BTW. Amazing music, too.

I've recently learned I'm terrible at Mega Man games (and run'n'gun games in general). I guess I never had much exposure to them as a kid. I was under the impression is this more platforming and less run'n'gun. Is that correct?

I spoke with YCG for you, THT and jon. Vita is still on the table as a potential release platform they're interested in.

I've recently learned I'm terrible at Mega Man games (and run'n'gun games in general). I guess I never had much exposure to them as a kid. I was under the impression is this more platforming and less run'n'gun. Is that correct?

Why would they 'laugh' at the prospect of a Vita port?

maxcriden

Why would they 'laugh' at the prospect of a Vita port?

I did inquire about that as well. They said it happened during the 24 hour stream, when many of the YCG team members were awake and on camera for the entire duration, answering that same platform question multiple throughout the night. They take full responsibility for making the playful jab at the platform without a subsequent clarifying remark, but that is the context it happened in and how it was intended. (I know I for one am operating on minimal sleep today and can barely string together sentences, let alone answer questions well on camera.)

So... Is this game seeming like a good value? It looks excellent obviously, but is there any word on how many levels/worlds or game length? I'm getting it either way but am just curious.

Top Bottom