• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

show me the absolute WORST character design you can think of

fvng

v8xKbWG.jpg

Nier

The main character was quite ugly

Yeah but it contributed to the quality of him being a lovable big brute. It worked in service of the character

All Might

Neo Member
Really? That's the worse for you?

Yeah. Her features don't match up and it's a mismatch of gear. In 3D they don't well. I've seen designs of her "Wind Waker" style for 2D and it looks decent.

Agitha-Playable-Hyrule-Warriors.jpg

But, I do enjoy Tracer. The whole Rosie the Riviter motif was cool.

images

No, I am not kidding.

People who argue for that this is good design, what is your rationale?

The best defense I can come for this, is that it's supposed to be bad on purpose. It looks like a throwback to 90s saturday morning CGI cartoon tier 3 shitstain.

I guess the colors almost make me nostalgic and the supersoakers and the sneakers, but I hate the eyes and I hate their hair.

Hate this try-hard design with his boyband hair cut. I prefer the melon man in RE5 over this.

I like parts of her design. I like her facial structure and I like the tech that brought her to life. Sometimes she looks really good and wholesome in game, but there is something about the renderer or post processing used in the cinematics that jerks me. I dislike her outfit full of ornaments. It's way to busy, and doesn't come together like a coherent maximalist style. Granted that is very very difficult. Minimalism is easier to control, check and balance. To get a good look out of chaos is very difficult.

It's a criticism I also have for the Final Fantasy outfits. Endless belt buckles, trinkets, pouches, pockets and other shit.

I loved Rares Jet Force Gemini, but the art is not solid. It's cringy, uncomfortable and their stare remind me of

There is this uncanny valley of creepiness with early 3d that strived for these sort of artstyles. If you compare it to a game like Metal Gear Solid, while more fuzzy, looks almost like artistic pixel art at this point, and completely avoids being creepy.

Rares Nintendo 64 era is legendary. It's one of the most impressive developer streaks ever, but I think the art design was the weakest aspect of most of their games. Banjo, Conker, Diddy Kong Racing and Perfect Dark are probably the best art they've made, but games like Killer Instinct Gold and Blast Cops- They were just terrible.

Fisty

Yeah but it contributed to the quality of him being a lovable big brute. It worked in service of the character

He had the mannerisms and motivations of a teenager, not because he was a lovable brute but because it was literally a model swap from a teenager to ugly dad Nier. I think Taro made him as hideous as fuckin possible just because of the localization

There's a lot of good choices in this thread, a lot of my choices are taken.

That said, saying who these characters are would also be nice.

Haven't played this yet. Is there an in-game explanation of why here clothes are all shredded like that (and why she doesn't change into something better)?

She just finds the outfit in a box in prison, and wears it. A description of the costume explains that it gives Velvet maximum flexibility during combat. Velvet doesn't really care about how she looks in that outfit, but she has chastised male party members for ogling her.

There's a female Laharl what?
Disgaea D-2 ..an ok game that existed because someone drank too much one night ...

I'm one of the few people on the planet that actually enjoyed Sonic Unleashed and I still can't like Chip

latest
Chip design is actually "ok" , average , not problematic. it actually blends well with the rest of the world and characters. Chip failed because his attitude and dialog. He's just a classic mascot that talk.
The design that shouldn't have existed in unleashed is werehog sonic. Just why ..

I wish the games gave me a quest so i could change or influence the dress of the scions ... minifilia is just ... meh ... Only yshtola is perfect ...

I hate to say this because her design in Heavensward was amazing and one of my favorite designs but...

latest

Why ? Her original design is actually simple and to the point . No overdose of accesories except her weapon.She fits. It can be improved , sure ..but ... i mean look at minifilia ...

I wish the games gave me a quest so i could change or influence the dress of the scions ... minifilia is just ... meh ... Only yshtola is perfect ...

Why ? Her original design is actually simple and to the point . No overdose of accesories except her weapon.She fits. It can be improved , sure ..but ... i mean look at minifilia ...

Oh crap I posted twice I guess. Lol.

Yeah Minfillia is not my favorite design.

While Y'Shtola is simpler, I don't think it translates to it being better. I always found the branch as a weapon laughable, and I don't particulary like how the colors come together. It's just super bland to me. Thank goodness for the Heavensward design. That was a much better design. Keeps it simple while really selling that the character is part of this society of badasses. Plus that new staff is amazing.

Edit:

This
CI_92154_1406685049.jpg

compared with this
latest

Glad somebody mentioned the Splatoon characters. It's probably heavily disagreed with by most on Gaf but I just do not find those designs to be appealing at all and not at all up to par with Nintendo's usually stellar character designs. They honestly kind of turn me off from the game.

At least the Squid forms are cute.

Man I don't think you guys are diving deep enough. I don't know where to find better pics but Omikron has to trump most anything posted in this thread with half its characters.

kIxvWvC.jpg

Opa-Pa

It's a pity because I love the Gamecube Custom Robo game but...

latest

... Yeah.

This is a Nintendo produced and published game.

Oh crap I posted twice I guess. Lol.

Yeah Minfillia is not my favorite design.

While Y'Shtola is simpler, I don't think it translates to it being better. I always found the branch as a weapon laughable, and I don't particulary like how the colors come together. It's just super bland to me. Thank goodness for the Heavensward design. That was a much better design. Keeps it simple while really selling that the character is part of this society of badasses. Plus that new staff is amazing.

Edit:

This
CI_92154_1406685049.jpg

compared with this
latest

First , the heaveansward design is better

Second a user of magic using a live branch as a wand is not that common .. it make her unique.. it's a trait that no one has that can be surprising but make sense when you understand her powers and role.

Actually that wand is the thing that make her stood out in the society and especially in her race. i think it's a neat idea.

It's those shoes. They are the worst type in the game got some crafting ones and glamoured them so fast.

the shoes .. yeah ..you're not wrong .. thankfully the camera was always ABOVE , so i didn't really pay attention to that part.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
]
Haven't played this yet. Is there an in-game explanation of why here clothes are all shredded like that (and why she doesn't change into something better)?

Yes and no. She kills a couple of cleric guards in the prison in where she is kept and she takes their clothes. There are other outfits you can change her into but none that are story driven. I like Velvet but her outfit is ridiculous and a running joke in the game as well. Its a shame because she's soclose to having an over the top Castlevania vampire inspired style outfit which would have totally worked far better.

Top Bottom