• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2007 edition

milkham said:
nice controller management!
Thanks. $20 Wal-Mart media shelf + $4 worth of pegboard +$5 can of spraypaint = controller storage. :)

@Lo-Volt: LOL. I plan on switching over to HD eventuallty, but my car needs some work first. :(

I got a few more pics uplaoded:

DSC02579.jpg

DSC02578.jpg

DSC02577.jpg

^ t3h snakes!!1 They're attackin' mah consoles!

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02582.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
We Are Ninja said:
^ t3h snakes!!1 They're attackin' mah consoles

I'm noticing great media and shelf setups by a lot of people but POOR cable management! Velcro ties, people. Like a dollar or two at your local electronics stores. They'll clean them snakes up pronto!

MaX_PL

Banned
We Are Ninja said:
Finally moved into t3h new place. A few pics:

DSC02591_edited.jpg

DSC02565.jpg

DSC02575.jpg

HD = played out. It's all about the SDTV with... wait for it... S-Video.

DSC02594_edited.jpg

I've got a few more, 56K makes it hard to upload pics... :(

300 dollar race seat.

300 dollar speakers.

600 dollar console.

400 dollar console.

300 race wheel. edrr... not G25 nevermind.

and no HDTV? i would have made that my first purchase.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Whoa Whoa Whoa. Something has been making me wonder for a while, how does everyone have these ads and other shit on their dashboards? I want that. :lol

All I have in that space is "Xbox Live Games. Tournaments. Entertainment. All the rewards. . ." blah blah blah. Other people have ads or other shit and stuff. How?

sangreal

Black_Ice said:
Whoa Whoa Whoa. Something has been making me wonder for a while, how does everyone have these ads and other shit on their dashboards? I want that. :lol

All I have in that space is "Xbox Live Games. Tournaments. Entertainment. All the rewards. . ." blah blah blah. Other people have ads or other shit and stuff. How?

Do you happen to live outside of the US?

MaX_PL said:
300 dollar race seat.

300 dollar speakers.

600 dollar console.

400 dollar console.

Don't forget the hundreds of games. I'm not shocked by the beautiful tvs and setups in this thread but at the shelves after shelves of games, even by people without the huge hdtvs. I have trouble getting through the game or two a month I buy--hell, I won't even find any worth buying this month, I know--and even though I like gaming a lot as a hobby, I can't see buying so many games that you could only play a few minutes of each.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MaX_PL said:
300 dollar race seat.

300 dollar speakers.

600 dollar console.

400 dollar console.

Seriously. What's the deal?! ALL of that...and no HDTV?

MaX_PL said:
300 dollar race seat.

300 dollar speakers.

600 dollar console.

400 dollar console.

LOL. I doubt anyone even had even dreamed up HDTV back in '96 when I started building a collection in earnest. I plan on getting one, though. Eventually. It's easy to buy games; $25 here, $75 there; but $1200.00 in one lump will require some finessing of t3h funds. :lol

@jtardiou: Yah, All of those in the pic are 3rd party except the OEM PS3 and 360 controllers; only bc no one has released any decent 3rd party ones for those systems yet... The conttroller on the left side (the black and blue ones) are by a company called REACT. They're $10.49 at Best Buy and are 10 times better than the regular PS2 pad. The buttons are firm and click-y, not spongy like the regular pad, plus the analog sticks are stiffer and more tactile. I'd recommend them over the stock pads any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Seriously, go buy one. It's just ten bucks. j00 need one if you have a PS2.

The two middle rows are pads are Logitech wireless pads. Both of those models in the picture were replaced by a smaller, tighter pad that you can't really see well in the pics. It addressed all the problems that the first ones had, but left out the two things that made the first models so awesome, their feel and physical size. I have big gorilla hands. They fit perfectly, plus they had a cool, satin-like finish. They are awesome to play with. Plus Logitechs are rock solid. Titanium solid, even.

On the far right are Nyko's big purbple Airflo Gamecube pads. They're the only reason I bought a Gamecube at all. I hate Ninty's Gamecube controllers with a passion. Nyko's are identical to their PS2 pads, just a different color. They're nice and bulky thick rubber grips and fans for sweaty-hand people...

Beneath those are my favorite digital PS1 pads of all time. From Alps Interactive, they're even bigger than Logitech's monsters with rubber grips. They were expensive back in the PS1 days (I recently found a 2nd one at Gamestop for $2.99. Score.) but they're quaity with the smooth D-pad and tearshaped buttons. Plus they're uber-massive. If you were losinig to a friend on the PS1 you could reach over and brain him brutally with them...

@purgeface: I like it alot. It's awesome for the $300.00 that I paid for it, though if I had to do it again, I'd cough up an extra bill and get this one...

Hyrup66

Banned
I was gonna buy a media cabinet from IKEA today. It only cost 79 bucks BEFORE I got to the final stage of the checkout process.

Shipping ? TWO-HUNRDED DOLLARS AND 45 CENTS

Hyrup66 said:
I was gonna buy a media cabinet from IKEA today. It only cost 79 bucks BEFORE I got to the final stage of the checkout process.

Same here. On Sunday, I found a nice glass coffee table on Ikea for $99. SHIPPING WAS $120. My response? "Ikea can rot in hell."

I found a much nicer table here in town for $119, by the way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hyrup66 said:

wtf?

Last time I went to Ikea and bought way too much (about 30 boxes of stuff), I visited the delivery counter and the guy charged me £40 - delivered it 2 hours later (just enough time to get home myself)

They're just starting to trial online shopping and delivery in the UK - hope they don't rape you on the delivery.

s5030010ad5.jpg

Heres mine needs a tidy as i have added alot over the past few months, no pictured as my wii and some of my other gameing gear and my hddvd player ohhh and the rats nest of wires at the back of the tv.:lol

Captain Glanton said:
Same here. On Sunday, I found a nice glass coffee table on Ikea for $99. SHIPPING WAS $120. My response? "Ikea can rot in hell."

You guys ever physically buy anything from Ikea? Even flat-packed, the stuff is big and HEAVY. They're a brick and mortar store, the online store isn't really what they're about. What you get for the money is pretty amazing, which is why people rent U-Haul trucks and drives hundreds of miles to go there.

You just have to take the road trip.

Zoe

megashock5 said:
What you get for the money is pretty amazing, which is why people rent U-Haul trucks and drives hundreds of miles to go there.

Our local Ikea actually has an Enterprise Rental kiosk in the store so you can take the stuff home :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hyrup66 said:

That's the IKEA i know. shipping is an arm and a leg, even if the product is cheaper. they would probably have more online sales if they let up on the damn shipping. IKEA you are not shipping to Alaska or Hawaii, you know!!!!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
It really is all about the big car Ikea roadtrip... save some money, drive up, and buy buy buy!

I'm lucky to have one in Pittsburgh now, but when I lived in the middle of Iowa we'd go to Chicago or Minneapolis just to piddle around at the Ikea and get neat stuffs.

megashock5 said:
You guys ever physically buy anything from Ikea? Even flat-packed, the stuff is big and HEAVY. They're a brick and mortar store, the online store isn't really what they're about. What you get for the money is pretty amazing, which is why people rent U-Haul trucks and drives hundreds of miles to go there.

But I found a chain store here in town that offered stuff of much better quality at roughly the same prices, and they're paying to ship the stuff to their store so I can pick it up.

I've always heard that IKEA is pretty crap quality, so if they charge this much for shipping and only have a few stores in the US, I don't see what the upside is to them.

megashock5 said:

That explains sooo much. There's an IKEA store roughly ten miles from my apartment complex. I was drove by it w/ some coworkers and could not understand why it was so uber-large. I mean, like small city, big. I cannot convey how fuggin' huge the IKEA store is. If the stuff is that big, I guess it kinda makes sense. The place is so very massive, though. It's bigger than alot of our shopping malls.

I've never actually been inside, ever since Fight Club, I've been anti-IKEA. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally have mine pretty much finished

whole2.jpg

My new wall of units - gloss white and a stripe of red to go with the sofa. Lighting behind the TV, between the top of the units and the ceiling, and in the spaces either side of the TV (vase and PS3 section).

ps3.jpg

closeup of the PS3. Shelf underneath for controller, remote, USB HDD

wii60.jpg

most doors are normal hinged ones, but the single doors are sliding. Here I've covered up the PS3 to reveal my 360/Wii. Also a shelf underneath for accessories.

amp.jpg

Denon 2307 amp and Gefen HDMI switch. I have an IR repeater so I can use it with the doors closed (back is off for ventilation)

screen%20down.jpg

shows the electric screen dropped down. When I'm using it I move the speakers further apart so the sound matches the screen.

sofa.jpg

My lovely new red leather sofa. Very comfy and having a corner unit makes it much easier to stretch out and go to sleep :)

pj.jpg

not gaming related, but just the rest of the room - dining table and piano. The projector is still bagged up from when I was making lots of dust. That HDMI cable dangling down will go inside the ceiling space soon.

mrklaw said:

whole2.jpg

My new wall of units - gloss white and a stripe of red to go with the sofa. Lighting behind the TV, between the top of the units and the ceiling, and in the spaces either side of the TV (vase and PS3 section).

ps3.jpg

closeup of the PS3. Shelf underneath for controller, remote, USB HDD

wii60.jpg

most doors are normal hinged ones, but the single doors are sliding. Here I've covered up the PS3 to reveal my 360/Wii. Also a shelf underneath for accessories.

amp.jpg

Denon 2307 amp and Gefen HDMI switch. I have an IR repeater so I can use it with the doors closed (back is off for ventilation)

screen%20down.jpg

shows the electric screen dropped down. When I'm using it I move the speakers further apart so the sound matches the screen. Normally they stay underneath the TV when using the

sofa.jpg

My lovely new red leather sofa. Very comfy and having a corner unit makes it much easier to stretch out and go to sleep :)

pj.jpg

not gaming related, but just the rest of the room - dining table and piano. The projector is still bagged up from when I was making lots of dust. That HDMI cable dangling down will go inside the ceiling space soon.

..... Wow...

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
If I can count right, it looks like Cedeo took that PSTriple to the whole nother level.

no angel

s5030010ad5.jpg

is it safe to have speakers this close to your tv? i know a friend of mine busted a crt set with a surround sound speaker, will they do the same to plasmas and lcds?

Jim

mrklaw said:

Do you live in some sort of interior design catalog/showroom? Very slick and artistic! ( other than the probably temporary exposed cabling :p )

Dina said:
IMAG1486small.jpg

My room is pretty narrow so it's not too impressive (note the 10 year old wallpaper of a dutch soccerteam, ugh) compared to some sick setups posted here. PC is somewhere else, nothing awesome there either.

Looks very cozy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jim said:
Do you live in some sort of interior design catalog/showroom? Very slick and artistic! ( other than the probably temporary exposed cabling :p )

I'm pretty pleased with things considering how bad I usually am at DIY. Hopefully it'll stand up to the kids abuse - one of the main reasons for having the amp etc behind closed doors.

Yeah - cabling is being hidden in the ceiling or trunking as soon as the electrician turns up. New regs mean you need to get a certified guy in for anything tapping into the main rings I'm having new lights fitted)

Here's a shot of things before - lived with this for 4 years.
fireplace1.jpg

and my :ahem: gaming setup before:
avmess.jpg

Zoe

no angel said:
is it safe to have speakers this close to your tv? i know a friend of mine busted a crt set with a surround sound speaker, will they do the same to plasmas and lcds?

Is that really an issue? We have a huge-ass (close to 4'?) front speaker standing almost flush to our CRT, and we've always kept our center on top of our TV's.

We do get some occasional discoloration on the opposite side of the TV, but degaussing clears that up. I'm not sure that it's related.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's absolutely fantastic! Really well done, mrklaw.

I'd love to be able to do something like that sometime, but not until I actually decide to stay put.

Where abouts do you live, by the way?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dark10x said:
That's absolutely fantastic! Really well done, mrklaw.

I'd love to be able to do something like that sometime, but not until I actually decide to stay put.

Where abouts do you live, by the way?

Windsor, UK. Been here about 4 years, so pretty stable.

Rufus

@mrklaw
MASSIVE. I don't like stuff covering a whole wall, but that isn't half bad, design wise.
Love the sofa and the electric screen. :D
Did you drill the holes in the back where the PS3 is yourself? They look kinda off.

We Are Ninja said:
I've never actually been inside, ever since Fight Club, I've been anti-IKEA. :p
That stupid on at least two levels, if I might say so.

mrklaw said:

whole2.jpg

My new wall of units - gloss white and a stripe of red to go with the sofa. Lighting behind the TV, between the top of the units and the ceiling, and in the spaces either side of the TV (vase and PS3 section)...

That is so nice. Very artistic.

Jim

Rufus said:
@mrklaw

Did you drill the holes in the back where the PS3 is yourself? They look kinda off.

Almost looks like it's done on purpose. I like it... a bit of chaos to break up the super symmetrical look.

Seraph830

Banned
mrklaw said:
screen%20down.jpg

shows the electric screen dropped down. When I'm using it I move the speakers further apart so the sound matches the screen.
If I may ask, why the HD TV and a Projection unit?

Reason I ask because I run a home theatre setup for my gaming needs, but I find it rather tiresome to warm up the projector everytime I want to play a game. I always thought about having a dual setup, HDTV for my normal gaming needs and then the projector for when I want that theatre experince.

Can you send the same signal to both units? (so you can play your consoles on display of choice at will)

supermackem said:
s5030010ad5.jpg

Heres mine needs a tidy as i have added alot over the past few months, no pictured as my wii and some of my other gameing gear and my hddvd player ohhh and the rats nest of wires at the back of the tv.:lol

Shame.

Next gen systems plus an HD screen and then..... small one way front speakers:(

And _O_ @ mrklaw!

Dina

Klaxon said:
Looks very cozy.

It is the best of the four corners of my room, but yeah I like it so far. Doesn't hold a candle to what mrklaw has, though :/ I wish I had the money and especially the room for such an awesome setup.

Top Bottom