• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - new screens and artworks (Nov. 2009, sorry 56k)

JosM88 said:
I suppose this is a difference of opinion that can't be reconciled until we both get our hands on the game.

No man, I hear you. I'm excited to play it. I just think people kind of read me wrong, I mean I have concerns about what I'm seeing and as a huge Silent Hill fan I wanted to address them. When I saw the thread, I got really excited but upon looking at the shots, I was really disappointed. Did I come across as whiny/bitchy? Absolutely, but that just comes with having an objective stance on anything. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. It's a day one purchase for me. I'm just very particular about this franchise, and merely making changes is what disappoints me, it's how the changes are being approached. I like good changes. When I first heard about the chase sequences and no weapons, I thought wow, that could be really promising. And then, every single video of the chases since that was announced consisted of a group of those smaller child-like humanoid things coming out and Harry running and leaping over fences and shit, and it just looks too over the top.

So, what would I do? Okay. Imagine you're exploring some abandoned building, like the apartment in Silent Hill 2. You've got the Wii-remote in your hand using it like a flashlight. It's pretty much completely pitch black save for the cone of light. You turn a corner and your light catches something moving toward you quickly; even though you only get a glimpse because of the panic, it's enough to get you booking your ass to the nearest whatever you can find, room, closet, bed, whatever-- you don't know what it is, and it's completely unannounced.

In Shattered Memories, it's almost like the chases are the new staged encounters; having no weapons and having to run and hide from enemies sounds good, but when it becomes routine and predictable, you've lost me. It's not scary anymore. But it could be, depending on the execution. I don't know that what I described above doesn't happen in the game, but based on what we've seen I'd wager a pretty penny that it will be more or less reduced to those staged chase sequences.

Sorry for my initial post. When I said that I was following them I meant that in the sense that I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the series from it's begginings to it's current state. Didn't mean to get you all riled up there.

Nobody's riled up here, you'll not see any all-caps posts from me. :D And I'm glad you value what I say, people largely disagree with me but I like to think that what I have to say is valid enough to share, so that pleases me.

Would you have expected something like SH2 after playing SH1, for starters?

Silent Hill 2 was a better game to me and it carried over absolutely everything I loved about the first title, and then some. It felt like Silent Hill and was highly intelligent. So I don't know what you mean by "would you have expected it," but all I can answer is no, I didn't expect a sequel that would be vastly superior to the original.

Ridley327 said:
Would you have expected something like SH2 after playing SH1, for starters?

bad analogy. SH2 was basically a refined version of 1. the plot was a little different (james being "guilty" and punishing himself..etc) but the mechanics were essentially the same.

Silent hill 4, origins, and homecoming though? completely off the rails. Took what worked in 1-3 and went in completely unneeded directions.

4 at least has an excuse, since it was actually another game rebranded in the middle of development. Good game, but really didn't have any business being part of the game series.

Origins tried to go back to basics but added a completely unnecessary breakable weapon system and...fistfights? ok.

Homecoming was a decent game, but the emphasis on combat was TOTALLY at odds with the way the series had approached that sort of thing in previous installments. Turned off a lot of people looking for the slower paced game that had you think your way out of confrontations, and the puzzles were practically nonexistant.

I was really excited for this game, and then I was angry at the December 8th delay. Now, thanks to the PS2 version being delayed until January, I've lost a lot of anticipation for it. As for the screens, they're not great.

RedSwirl

What the crap? I think the screenshtos look awesome. You guys do know that this game isn't on an HD console right?

Ridley327

Manmademan said:
bad analogy. SH2 was basically a refined version of 1. the plot was a little different (james being "guilty" and punishing himself..etc) but the mechanics were essentially the same.

Silent hill 4, origins, and homecoming though? completely off the rails. Took what worked in 1-3 and went in completely unneeded directions.

4 at least has an excuse, since it was actually another game rebranded in the middle of development though.

I was referring more to what the focus of the game was about, more than anything. They all practically play the same anyways, but SH2's focusing on a single character and his mental anguish was a big departure from the more overarching narrative of the first game. It's an aspect that permeated into a lot of the game's design (both technically and artistically) and really hasn't been duplicated by its sequels, or at least as successfully. On the flip side, I'm sure there were plenty of people that were upset that a lot of the "mythology" put forth by the first game was pushed to the wayside in favor of the more personal tale that it told.

The reason I brought it up as an example is because SH2 works for different reasons than SH1 does and SH3/4/0/Homecoming/Whatever work for different reasons as well. Hence the "Silent Hill isn't a series known for being consistent on 'what works'" comment.

Ridley327 said:
The reason I brought it up as an example is because SH2 works for different reasons than SH1 does and SH3/4/0/Homecoming/Whatever work for different reasons as well. Hence the "Silent Hill isn't a series known for being consistent on 'what works'" comment.

That has nothing to do with anything I was saying though. You're on a different level of "what makes it work" than I am. You're getting into points of view, narrative structure, etc. What I refer to when I say "what makes Silent Hill work" is the atmosphere, the details, suggestion over display, and all the things that come together to provide a unique, artistic, and frightening experience. You're talking about something else entirely. Not that it's without merit-- no, you're right. Each game has a different angle and approach to the narrative. I'm not discounting you there. But what I'm talking about is largely different. I desire the strong level of brilliant execution that is on display with, at least to me, the first 3 games. Remake and reboot all you want, just make sure you carry over what makes Silent Hill work in the process. I don't care what they change; I may have problems with making a 70 year old cult freak into a 23 year old street slut, but if I'm playing it and I feel like I'm playing a high quality Silent Hill title, I'll get over it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally, we have a release date.

Also I'm surprised someone other than TheChillyAcademic is shitting up a Shattered Memories thread. Where is that guy anyways?

Ridley327

brandonh83 said:

Functionally speaking, though, the games are practically identical; even Homecoming has its moments where the "core pillars" come together and work effectively. I'm arguing that it does run quite a bit deeper than you're suggesting; otherwise, I don't think that particular titles in the series would be as vaunted as they are.

Andrex said:
Also I'm surprised someone other than TheChillyAcademic is shitting up a Shattered Memories thread. Where is that guy anyways?

Good debate = shitting up the thread? Okay. Unless you're talking about someone else, but I'd be shocked if you were. :lol

Ridley said:
Functionally speaking, though, the games are practically identical; even Homecoming has its moments where the "core pillars" come together and work effectively. I'm arguing that it does run quite a bit deeper than you're suggesting; otherwise, I don't think that particular titles in the series would be as vaunted as they are.

And I'm suggesting that it runs even deeper than what I'm actually able to put my finger on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
brandonh83 said:
Good debate = shitting up the thread? Okay. Unless you're talking about someone else, but I'd be shocked if you were. :lol

Ehhhhhh. I just think your complaints are really petty, especially considering E3 impressions were great and none of us here have played the final game. Then again I think people who say RE4 isn't a good RE game are wackos.

But reading more of your posts, a less severe term would probably be more appropriate. My apologies.

Andrex said:
Ehhhhhh. I just think your complaints are really petty, especially considering E3 impressions were great and none of us here have played the final game. Then again I think people who say RE4 isn't a good RE game are wackos.

But reading more of your posts, a less severe term would probably be more appropriate. My apologies.

Fair enough. :D

Ridley327

The answer to that lies in the Faustian deal that Team Silent made in 2003 to produce those visuals on the PS2.

"Sure you can have them, but know that from this point forward, people everywhere will bitch about every title in the franchise that comes after it! Can you live with that?!"

And that's why Team Silent is no more.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ridley327 said:
The answer to that lies in the Faustian deal that Team Silent made in 2003 to produce those visuals on the PS2.

"Sure you can have them, but know that from this point forward, people everywhere will bitch about every title in the franchise that comes after it! Can you live with that?!"

True story.

Ridley327 said:

:lol so awesome. Douglas > Nathan Drake

brandonh83 said:
No man, I hear you. I'm excited to play it. I just think people kind of read me wrong, I mean I have concerns about what I'm seeing and as a huge Silent Hill fan I wanted to address them. When I saw the thread, I got really excited but upon looking at the shots, I was really disappointed. Did I come across as whiny/bitchy? Absolutely, but that just comes with having an objective stance on anything. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. It's a day one purchase for me. I'm just very particular about this franchise, and merely making changes is what disappoints me, it's how the changes are being approached. I like good changes. When I first heard about the chase sequences and no weapons, I thought wow, that could be really promising. And then, every single video of the chases since that was announced consisted of a group of those smaller child-like humanoid things coming out and Harry running and leaping over fences and shit, and it just looks too over the top.
I can see your point. An interesting thing I noticed so far is that your arguments, and concerns would be those of a longtime SH fan. I can see why I, and many other people would be a little defensive seeing as the game is being made to attract a new audience. Many people here in this forum may be just like me in that we have little experience with the franchise, but great expectations for something that deviates from the timeless original. I can see how our relatively laid-back take on something so delicate could iritate those who've been through the best, and worst of the series. I personally can't wait for these new changes, and love how everything flows, but it may not be what you have to come to expect from the series. I guess we'll be at this again in a month or so.
brandonh83 said:
So, what would I do? Okay. Imagine you're exploring some abandoned building, like the apartment in Silent Hill 2. You've got the Wii-remote in your hand using it like a flashlight. It's pretty much completely pitch black save for the cone of light. You turn a corner and your light catches something moving toward you quickly; even though you only get a glimpse because of the panic, it's enough to get you booking your ass to the nearest whatever you can find, room, closet, bed, whatever-- you don't know what it is, and it's completely unannounced.

In Shattered Memories, it's almost like the chases are the new staged encounters; having no weapons and having to run and hide from enemies sounds good, but when it becomes routine and predictable, you've lost me. It's not scary anymore. But it could be, depending on the execution. I don't know that what I described above doesn't happen in the game, but based on what we've seen I'd wager a pretty penny that it will be more or less reduced to those staged chase sequences.
I can actually see that as a valid complaint. I'm personally sitting by the sidelines for some in depth analysis of the game as people get their hands on them. If enemy encounters are only about as frequent as SH1 or SH2 then I think we'll be golden. The videos unfortunately made it seem like the world is littered with these monsters, and therefore many chase sequences. I hate to say it, but I guess we'll have to wait it out, and see what people's playthroughs discover. I would also REALLY love to see some other monster variations seeing as the small ones are boring me already.
brandonh83 said:
Nobody's riled up here, you'll not see any all-caps posts from me. :D And I'm glad you value what I say, people largely disagree with me but I like to think that what I have to say is valid enough to share, so that pleases me.
Yeah, I was just making sure everything is cool. I definitely enjoyed your contributions in the las SH thread, and it made me even more excited to play SH1 just a few weeks ago. I'm even more excited about SH2.

PS
Sorry my response took so long. I was rather busy.

JosM88 said:
I can see your point. An interesting thing I noticed so far is that your arguments, and concerns would be those of a longtime SH fan. I can see why I, and many other people would be a little defensive seeing as the game is being made to attract a new audience. Many people here in this forum may be just like me in that we have little experience from the franchise, but great expectations for something that deviates from the timeless original. I can see how our relatively laid-back take on something so delicate could iritate those who've been through the best, and worst of the series. I personally can't wait for these new changes, and love how everything flows, but it may not be what you have to come to expect from the series. I guess we'll be at this again in a month or so.

Well, I do think many people believe that my opinions are completely born from the fact that I'm a longtime fan of the series. Most fans of anything despise even the smallest changes. Not me. You will never, ever see me complain about a good change. And that's what is going on here- I'm not seeing any. It has nothing to do with me being a fanboy or this or that, I just haven't personally seen any good changes. Oh, I love some of the ideas. I love the psyche profile. I love how there's no weapons and that you must flee, though I'm not sold on that by what I've seen in the videos, as discussed. What's important to me is that I get a good Silent Hill game. They're calling it Silent Hill, so you know, that's what I want it to be. There can be tons of changes and it still feel like a genuine Silent Hill product. People take that and turn it into "yeah just because you're a fanboy of the originals." Well, guess what, I'm a fan of them because they were amazing so yeah, I do have a great deal of expectations when someone works on something that they are calling Silent Hill.

brandonh83 said:
I think RE4 is a great game, but where it deviated too much from the franchise, I was very disappointed with it in that respect. Change is fine, but too much change can turn something into... something else, and if I look forward to a new Resident Evil game or a new Silent Hill game, I expect them to be just that. And since RE4 only had a couple of connections and similarities to the older games, I felt that the wait since CODE: Veronica for the next installment wasn't worth it. However if it were a different title, I wouldn't have had any problems with it and I would be singing higher praise for it.

That's the only thing I'm worried about with Shattered Memories. It's called Silent Hill, so I want a Silent Hill game, not something so drastically different that it should be a whole different thing altogether. But if it comes out and I feel that I'm playing a Silent Hill title and it brings with it the intelligence and depth and creepiness/atmosphere factors that it's known for, that's fine, I'll be jolly. If not, I may still enjoy it, but like RE4 I will be left wondering why they bothered to call it a Silent Hill game in the first place.

It's called Shattered Memories. lulz

faridmon

Jocchan said:
Resident Evil 4 is barely a horror game by the way, I'd define it a horror-themed action game :O

maybe thats why i said i can't play hooror games, i get scared easily, and even with RE4, which isn't a horror game, i had hard time not to be scared :(

i wish i was more manly, i really want to play this game:(

I will be completely fair with RE4 and say that the village at night was absolutely terrifying. The music and atmosphere was amazing. If the entire game kept that attitude up, I wouldn't be so hard on the game because that shit was incredible. Also the Regenerators are thoroughly scary too, mainly thanks to their little percussive theme music.

brandonh83 said:
I will be completely fair with RE4 and say that the village at night was absolutely terrifying. The music and atmosphere was amazing. If the entire game kept that attitude up, I wouldn't be so hard on the game because that shit was incredible. Also the Regenerators are thoroughly scary too, mainly thanks to their little percussive theme music.

RE4 redefined the series. Especially liked The Village and The Castle. The Regenerators and the Ganados were some of the cooliest enemies in a RE game. They gave a new twist to the usual zombieness of the previous games. Also, I can't be too tough with RE4 because I grew up watching horror movies. It's hard for ANY game to scare me anymore

Top Bottom