• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - new screens and artworks (Nov. 2009, sorry 56k)

Gilgamesh

NintendosBooger said:
If you want to judge the game, judge it on the basis of its own merit, of what it brings to the table irrespective of another title.
Not that I totally agree with brandonh83 (I very much like everything they've shown so far), but you can't just judge something on its own when the developers are saying "This is our version of Silent Hill 1." It's inevitable that people will compare it to the original.

jett said:
...wait what, this is supposed to be a remake of SH1?

Not at all.

I think the problem here is that certain people on the board THINK that it is, and it isn't. Not by far. It's as much (or more) of a reboot as the new star trek film was. there are certain givens about the franchise (Your name is harry, you have a daughter named cheryl, and there is a creepy town named silent hill) and everything else has been disregarded as "no longer canon."

Climax isn't "remaking" the first game, and it has no connection to silent hills 1 through homecoming.

Gilgamesh said:
Not that I totally agree with brandonh83 (I very much like everything they've shown so far), but you can't just judge something on its own when the developers are saying "This is our version of Silent Hill 1." It's inevitable that people will compare it to the original.

Well, if it's a "re-imaging" of the first game, then why are people so surprised that certain characters and storylines have undergone fundamental changes? This is what everyone, old fans and new fans, have come to expect. If you want everything the way it was before, then just stick to the original! Simple.

NintendosBooger said:
I didn't say the specific "changes" were to the benefit of newcomers, simply the fact that it's a reboot, and that in and of itself provides newcomers the opportunity to comfortably get into the series since this game is a fresh start.

I seriously doubt this is a "fresh new start," in fact I'd wager this is the only sort of "remake" that will ever happen. Furthermore, the Silent Hill games have always been praised, so why on earth would "newcomers" want to start with this one? Silent Hill is wonderful because of the way Team Silent dished out atmosphere, their characters, and the billions of little details that make the games great. The newer games have been lacking in that department and I don't think that will change with this title. Why should people start with this one, when it looks nothing like a Silent Hill game?

NintendosBooger said:
As far as turning characters into something they're not, well, considering some of us have never played the original to begin with, there's no point of reference to make that assessment. As far as I know or care, the characters are just as they are and always have been.

Okay. You're saying you don't give a damn. That's fine, but that's where we differ. I've played and loved the original, and I've known these characters since 1999. You haven't. That's what largely separates our opinion. Two incredibly different points of view. So there's really no reason to keep on with that specific argument so I'll let it go.

NintendosBooger said:
I just don't think you should come and rain down on our parade with your "The characters/story are not the same as in the original!" whining. If you want to judge the game, judge it on the basis of its own merit, of what it brings to the table irrespective of another title.

You're not getting it. I wouldn't complain if there were minor changes, or even if her personality changed a bit, or even if she had a different impact on the story. I'm complaining because the character is so radically different that I just don't understand the point at all. Like I said, it's one thing to make changes, but this is a completely different character but with the same name. My argument is, what's the point in that? I don't understand why that couldn't have just written a brand new, original character, instead of taking an established character and changing her to the point where she shares nothing in common with the original. If they needed a hooker character, write a hooker character. Don't make it a pre-existing character.

And I do plan on judging the game based on its own merit. I'm excited to play it. I'm just not thrilled at all by what I'm seeing.

Gilgamesh

NintendosBooger said:
Well, if it's a "re-imaging" of the first game, then why are people so surprised that certain characters and storylines have undergone fundamental changes? This is what everyone, old fans and new fans, have come to expect. If you want everything the way it was before, then just stick to the original! Simple.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with that, but I do think there's merit in people saying "I don't like this change," "I prefer the original," "This change is stupid." What I don't agree with is them saying that they don't think Climax should have made certain changes specifically because those changes don't fit the original.

As long as it's a guy looking for his daughter in Silent Hill, anything else they change is fair game in my opinion.

Gilgamesh said:
Don't get me wrong, I agree with that, but I do think there's merit in people saying "I don't like this change," "I prefer the original," "This change is stupid." What I don't agree with is them saying that they don't think Climax should have made certain changes specifically because those changes don't fit the original.

I'm not saying that at all. I never have. I'm not so much concerned with it being like the original, I'm concerned that it looks bad. I don't like the changes and it's not because of the original game, it's because I think they're shitty. Characters like Dahlia could have been more like what they were in the original, but handled in a completely different way without completely changing their persona.

I'm new to this series as well, but isn't Silent Hill designed around the fact that you are a sinful person paying for your sins or something? And isn't this game simply the extreme version of that, taken to a new level?

At the end of the day, isn't this just a full blown expansion of the core idea of the original games? So SHOULDN'T Dahlia be the same yet an entirely different Dahlia since, its someone different every time who is encountering / being around her?

NintendosBooger said:
BRANDON, IT'S A RE-IMAGING OF THE ENTIRE GAME! WHY WOULD THEY JUST MAKE MINOR CHANGES?

You're completely and utterly failing to realize that I don't care if they make big changes, as long as they are good. I do not think these changes are good. It's that simple. There's making changes, and then there's completely fucking something up, which is what I think they have did here. Can you understand that I simply do not like what they have did with some of these characters and that it has nothing at all to do about my respect for the original? I knew that Climax was going to shake things up, and I was cool with that, but they've taken it too far in my opinion. That's my complaint. You can take something old and make it into something new without completely face-fucking it in the process.

Gilgamesh

brandonh83 said:
I'm not saying that at all. I never have. I'm not so much concerned with it being like the original, I'm concerned that it looks bad. I don't like the changes and it's not because of the original game, it's because I think they're shitty. Characters like Dahlia could have been more like what they were in the original, but handled in a completely different way without completely changing their persona.
I see what you're saying, but I guess that's where the line is drawn between our particular brands of SH fandom. Personally I think "hooker Dahlia" is a really interesting change and it makes me want to see how it affects the general plot, and also what else Climax has in store. The more radically different things can get, the more interested in the game I become.

TheKingsCrown said:
I'm new to this series as well, but isn't Silent Hill designed around the fact that you are a sinful person paying for your sins or something? And isn't this game simply the extreme version of that, taken to a new level?

no, this only happened in silent hill 2. The protagonists in 1,3,4, and 5(?) had different motivations. Note that I never got all the way through 5 so I can't say for sure there.

At the end of the day, isn't this just a full blown expansion of the core idea of the original games? So SHOULDN'T Dahlia be the same yet an entirely different Dahlia since, its someone different every time who is encountering / being around her?

no, dahlia wasn't a creation of silent hill, just someone who lived there who was responsible for the events that occurred. who encountered her wouldn't make a difference as to what she looked like.

That being said, My feeling is that silent hill has gone as far as it can go with the original concept. things that were exciting in 1 had begun to feel cliche and weighed down by too much backstory as of 5/origins. I'm all in favor of a fresh start, personally.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm all for changes. I want this to be as different as possible rather than a simple remake. I'm very eager to get my hands on it. I just hope it's still coming this year...

NintendosBooger said:
BRANDON, IT'S A RE-IMAGING OF THE ENTIRE GAME! WHY WOULD THEY JUST MAKE MINOR CHANGES?
Just out of curiosity, as someone who has skipped the entire series up until this point, what is it that finally has sparked your interest in playing this game? I mean, it's good news that they are attracting new players, but I'm curious as to how someone who is considering a survival horror game could have skipped the entire series up until now (especially the first three games).

Why the change of heart?

Gilgamesh said:
I see what you're saying, but I guess that's where the line is drawn between our particular brands of SH fandom. Personally I think such dynamic changes are really interesting and it makes me want to see how it affects the general plot, and also what else Climax has in store. The more radically different things can get, the more interested in the game I become.

And you know, even if the characters were largely similar to their original personalities, the game still looks bad to me. It doesn't look scary at all, the chase sequences look horrible and mechanical, and the environmental design looks like ass. It's just, all these things combined aren't giving me a positive outlook about the game. My skepticism extends way beyond what they're doing to the characters.

dark10x said:
I'm all for changes. I want this to be as different as possible rather than a simple remake.

I just think it's possible to make something more than a "simple remake" without doing the things they're doing.

But in the end, as expressed, I hope you guys are right. Even NintendosBooger. I'm thrilled that he's excited for a Silent Hill game even though he's missing out terribly by not having played the ones that have been out for years.

Manmademan said:
no, this only happened in silent hill 2. The protagonists in 1,3,4, and 5(?) had different motivations. Note that I never got all the way through 5 so I can't say for sure there.

no, dahlia wasn't a creation of silent hill, just someone who lived there who was responsible for the events that occurred. who encountered her wouldn't make a difference as to what she looked like.

That being said, My feeling is that silent hill has gone as far as it can go with the original concept. things that were exciting in 1 had begun to feel cliche and weighed down by too much backstory as of 5/origins. I'm all in favor of a fresh start, personally.
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Well I'm sorry that they are redesigning things that the people who played it thought were awesome and didn't want to change, but I really can't wait for this game. I'm a huge horror fan and have played nearly every related series except this one because I only had an N64 and Gamecube when I was younger.

Why do people keep comparing this to the Batman or Star Trek reboots? Don't be silly, those reboots were vastly superior to what had come before, and went from campy to serious. This is looking much more like the Wicker Man remake starring Nicolas Cage.
dark10x said:
Just out of curiosity, as someone who has skipped the entire series up until this point, what is it that finally has sparked your interest in playing this game? I mean, it's good news that they are attracting new players, but I'm curious as to how someone who is considering a survival horror game could have skipped the entire series up until now (especially the first three games).

Why the change of heart?
Go on. I'm sure you can guess.

badcrumble said:
Why do people keep comparing this to the Batman or Star Trek reboots? Don't be silly, those reboots were vastly superior to what had come before, and went from campy to serious. This is looking much more like the Wicker Man remake starring Nicolas Cage.

Thank you.

Manmademan said:
I'm all in favor of a fresh start, personally.

Me too, but this is not what I have in mind when it comes to a "fresh start."

Gilgamesh said:
What I don't agree with is them saying that they don't think Climax should have made certain changes specifically because those changes don't fit the original.

brandonh83 said:
I'm not saying that at all. I never have.
Um, that's exactly what you've said. Time and time again in this thread:

brandonh83 said:
I don't think a hooker variation of Dahlia should even be in the game period. . The psyche profile system should be there to determine subtle character nuances and maybe slight variations to how the story is told, not turning characters into what they're not supposed to be.

brandonh83 said:
Not exactly the same level as turning a 70 year old cultist into a hooker

brandonh83 said:
If they wanted to change up the characters so much they could have easily just written in brand new ones.

brandonh83 said:
There's not replicating every ingredient found in the original, and then there's absurdity. It's possible to do a new take on a pre-existing product without getting dumb.
Every comment you've made is based on preconceptions of supposed "dumb shit" that doesn't fit your ideal of what the original Silent Hill was/is. I understand the trepidation. I've been playing and loving this series from the very beginning but I'm going to be silly enough to claim absurdity because major characters have been shifted or changed in a complete re-imagining of the game. Something Climax has been utterly clear and honest about from the get-go. They are setting out to challenge the very expectations and preconceptions you and a myriad of old school Silent Hill fans have of this story. At the same time they are trying to get new gamers onboard with a fresh take on a series that has frankly been stagnant for a long time now.

Fog, rust, and the same old same old characters with new visuals just isn't going to cut it anymore with this series. It needs a Resident Evil 4 like resurgence. That's not to say I want guns and action in my Silent Hill games but I certainly do think A LOT of what's being done in this game is a step in the right direction (i.e. moving away from the fog/rust otherworld, removal of combat etc.).

brandonh83 said:
You're completely and utterly failing to realize that I don't care if they make big changes, as long as they are good. I do not think these changes are good.
You are utterly and completely failing to realize that you have no clue as to how good or bad these changes are until they play out in the game proper. You're operating on knee jerk assumptions/reactions and nothing else. If you don't like the concept art of the look of the character then I completely understand that but the bone you've been picking hasn't just been about that (as demonstrated above).

brandonh83 said:
And you know, even if the characters were largely similar to their original personalities, the game still looks bad to me. It doesn't look scary at all, the chase sequences look horrible and mechanical, and the environmental design looks like ass. It's just, all these things combined aren't giving me a positive outlook about the game. My skepticism extends way beyond what they're doing to the characters.
Well see, that makes a bit more sense. I can absolutely understand that.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
badcrumble said:
Go on. I'm sure you can guess.
Er.... because we were comparing the concepts (and the concept behind the Batman and Star Trek reboots is the same as this game: ignoring the previous canon and starting fresh), not their quality.

dark10x said:
I'm all for changes. I want this to be as different as possible rather than a simple remake. I'm very eager to get my hands on it. I just hope it's still coming this year...

Why the change of heart?
For me: I didn't own a PS2 'til late in that console generation, I refuse to play the series out of order, and I tried playing SH1 and just couldn't get into it. Fortunately, this issue is almost address thanks to Voidburger of SomethingAwful's fantastic videoLP, which is only a video or two away from completion. Also, I played it at E3 and it was fantastic.

As far as the re-imagining goes: keep in mind that Shattered Memories is basically what Harry thinks happened as he's recounting all of it in the psychiatrist's office. There's a reason the game is titled what it is.

Futurevoid said:
I certainly do think A LOT of what's being done in this game is a step in the right direction (i.e. moving away from the fog/rust otherworld, removal of combat etc.).
...no. The art design for the ice otherworld is objectively worse. And I doubt the sound design is going to be as good as the earlier games either. Based on how this is going, I wouldn't be surprised if half the soundtrack is songs by Joe Romersa (you apparently don't enjoy Silent Hill games so I doubt you know who that is).
Jocchan said:
Er.... because we were comparing the concepts (and the concept behind the Batman and Star Trek reboots is the same as this game: ignoring the previous canon and starting fresh), not their quality.
Then my Wicker Man analogy is equally or more apt, then, yes?

Futurevoid said:
Um, that's exactly what you've said. Time and time again in this thread:

I think there is a difference between taking an original character and giving her new life, instead of completely changing her persona altogether, into something so far gone from the original version that it is absolutely pointless to give her the same name. So yes, in this thread I have said that I don't think they should have changed Dahlia into a hooker. What I haven't said is that they should have kept the same exact Dahlia. My argument is that it's completely possible to take a character and change them; give them a new "voice," new opinions and beliefs, and new impacts on the storyline without making them into someone else entirely. My context of "change" in this instance is different than those arguing with me which has established some confusion and I apologize for not being more clear about it.

Futurevoid said:
You are utterly and completely failing to realize that you have no clue as to how good or bad these changes are until they play out in the game proper. You're operating on knee jerk assumptions/reactions and nothing else. If you don't like the concept art of the look of the character then I completely understand that but the bone you've been picking hasn't just been about that (as demonstrated above).

I'm discussing what I'm seeing in the screenshots and I've made it clear that I'm still excited to play the game and that I hope I'm wrong with my objectivity.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
RocketDarkness said:
As far as the re-imagining goes: keep in mind that Shattered Memories is basically what Harry thinks happened as he's recounting all of it in the psychiatrist's office. There's a reason the game is titled what it is.
I believe Climax's goal is basically pulling a Memento: having the main character recollect what happened till he realizes everything (and this "everything" might change quite a bit with every playthrough).

badcrumble said:
Then my Wicker Man analogy is equally or more apt, then, yes?
I haven't seen it, but as long as it's a reboot then yeah. Regardless of its quality the concept would be the same.

Nemesis_

I don't understand how people can say this looks bad when the horribly generic and overall lakclustre Homecoming was given more praise. That's just embarassing.

I'm thinking they might go the whole Teen-Dahlia-was-raped-and-as-such-never-cared-for-Alessa storyline....perhaps....

Nemesis556 said:
I don't understand how people can say this looks bad when the horribly generic and overall lakclustre Homecoming was given more praise. That's just embarassing.

Homecoming wasn't given more praise but I personally liked it a lot, flaws and all, and certainly fits my model for a Silent Hill game, very much more than what I'm seeing with this one so far.

badcrumble said:
The art design for the ice otherworld is objectively worse.
Subjective would be the right word here as it's an opinion and nothing more. I don't happen to disagree with your opinion but I happen to like the ice/cold angle being used in this game even if the art doesn't hold a candle to the stuff we've seen from an amazing artist like Masahiro Ito.

badcrumble said:
you apparently don't enjoy Silent Hill games so I doubt you know who that is
:lol Wow. Yes, I know exactly who that is along with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Masashi Tsuboyama, Akira Yamaoka, Masahiro Ito ....should I proceed to give you the major staff credits from the first four games in the series? Silent Hill 2 being my absolute favorite game of all time. A game that I've beaten more than 50 times since its release. Shall I recite the plot summaries for every game in the series to you along with naming every major character? Or is that enough Silent Hill "cred" to give an opposing opinion?

Perhaps removing your head from your ass and actually engaging in a discussion would serve you better than to make assumptions about what I have or have not played.

brandonh83 said:
Homecoming wasn't given more praise but I personally liked it a lot
I agree. It has issues (many in fact) and doesn't hold a candle to the first four titles (yes I count the Room as I find it to be an underrated narrative in the series) but I thought it could have ended up FAR FAR worse considering the developer.

Futurevoid said:
Silent Hill 2 being my absolute favorite game of all time? A game that I've beaten more than 50 times since its release?

You can call me out all you want to in this thread, but I still like you.

Ridley327

Oh boy, the fans are finally in here to tell us how the series should be enjoyed!

Let's face it; the SH franchise has been a very schizophrenic one since the word "go," almost nearly by its inherent conceptual design. This reboot/reimagining/remake doesn't seem to be all that different from what occurred between SH1 and SH2, unless I somehow missed the bitching about the lack of cult matters and pterodactyl demons in the latter title. There's no reason to write this game off anymore than there was to write SH4 off after seeing the departure it made from previous games.

As such, I continue looking forward to picking the game up when it's released next month.

brandonh83 said:
You can call me out all you want to in this thread, but I still like you.
Nah we're just shooting the shit man.:)

I understand where you're coming from when it comes to the trepidation about this game. I have my own reservations about it but I'm ready for something new with this series and I think the old school fans should do well to let go of those preconceptions I mentioned earlier and give the game a chance. I say that as someone that finds Origins to pretty poor entry into the series so I'm putting a lot of faith in Climax here.:lol

I would LOVE for the old Team Silent to have continued on with some of the ideas brought into being in The Room (the apartment stuff was fantastic IMHO) and expanding the mythos but that's wishful thinking. All I can hope is that Climax can capture 1/3 of how grand the first two games were.

brandonh83 said:
I think there is a difference between taking an original character and giving her new life, instead of completely changing her persona altogether, into something so far gone from the original version that it is absolutely pointless to give her the same name. So yes, in this thread I have said that I don't think they should have changed Dahlia into a hooker. What I haven't said is that they should have kept the same exact Dahlia. My argument is that it's completely possible to take a character and change them; give them a new "voice," new opinions and beliefs, and new impacts on the storyline without making them into someone else entirely. My context of "change" in this instance is different than those arguing with me which has established some confusion and I apologize for not being more clear about it.

You've made your point, and I just don't agree with it although I can definitely respect it. We're both hoping for the best in this game, but me more-so since I've never delved into the series :lol

Ridley327 said:
Oh boy, the fans are finally in here to tell us how the series should be enjoyed!

We are? GAF truly is the ultimate news source on the internet.

NintendosBooger said:
You've made your point, and I just don't agree with it although I can definitely respect it. We're both hoping for the best in this game, but me more-so since I've never delved into the series

Dude I want nothing more than to sit at a table and eat crow while you sit back, laughing your ass off while snorting coke off Dahlia's tits.

Futurevoid said:
Subjective would be the right word here as it's an opinion and nothing more. I don't happen to disagree with your opinion but I happen to like the ice/cold angle being used in this game even if the art doesn't hold a candle to the stuff we've seen from an amazing like Masahiro Ito.

:lol Wow. Yes, I know exactly who that is along with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Masashi Tsuboyama, Akira Yamaoka ....should I proceed to give you the major staff credits from the first four games in the series? Silent Hill 2 being my absolute favorite game of all time? A game that I've beaten more than 50 times since its release? Shall I recite the plot summaries for every game in the series to you or is that enough Silent Hill "cred" to give an opposing opinion?

Perhaps removing your head from your ass and actually engaging in a discussion would serve you better than to make assumptions about what I've played or not played.

I agree. It has issues (many in fact) and doesn't hold a candle to the first four titles (yes I count the Room as I find it to be an underrated narrative in the series) but I thought it could have ended up FAR FAR worse considering the developer.
Ergh, sorry. I'm just saying that this game looks, to me, to be expanding upon some of the worse stuff in the series. The dynamic-story stuff sounds cool - I loved those mechanics in SH2 - and removing combat seems, if not elegant, at least a simple solution to the fact that combat has never been particularly good in any of the SH games - but to me the biggest appeal of Silent Hill has always, always been the strong atmosphere and art design, and to me it looks like they threw the baby out with the bathwater.

badcrumble said:
but to me the biggest appeal of Silent Hill has always, always been the strong atmosphere and art design, and to me it looks like they threw the baby out with the bathwater.
That's fair and I don't disagree with your assessment on the most appealing aspect of the series. I think the problem that Silent Hill has a series is that its been completely unable to evolve past the standard tropes we've come to expect of it. We expect the fog ridden town, the rust addled environments etc. There's nothing wrong with continuing those ideas if the execution is well handled. The real problem with games like Origins and Homecoming is that they feel like Silent Hill Copy&Paste experiences. They aren't generally bad but they feel "off". As if someone is trying to replicate Silent Hill but it fells hollow. I attribute that to studios like Climax and Double Helix doing their best Team Silent impersonations. That just doesn't work.

The fact Climax has decided to do its own thing is heartening to me. They are not tied down to just trying to be "Team Silent lite" with this game. They can go in their own direction and explore their own interpretation of Silent Hill and that's why I am so very positive here. I just have a sense that I won't be playing Silent Hill Copy&Paste this time around. If anything, that's progress.

Futurevoid said:
I've been playing and loving this series from the very beginning but I'm going to be silly enough to claim absurdity because major characters have been shifted or changed in a complete re-imagining of the game. Something Climax has been utterly clear and honest about from the get-go. They are setting out to challenge the very expectations and preconceptions you and a myriad of old school Silent Hill fans have of this story. At the same time they are trying to get new gamers onboard with a fresh take on a series that has frankly been stagnant for a long time now.

Fog, rust, and the same old same old characters with new visuals just isn't going to cut it anymore with this series. It needs a Resident Evil 4 like resurgence. That's not to say I want guns and action in my Silent Hill games but I certainly do think A LOT of what's being done in this game is a step in the right direction (i.e. moving away from the fog/rust otherworld, removal of combat etc.).

That's the big difference btw Resident Evil and Silent Hill when it comes to survival horror. Resident Evil is more based on action and Silent Hill is more about the experience, which comes from the environment. I never really had a problem with the direction of the Silent Hill series until 4 and to a lesser degree, Homecoming.

Silent Hill 4/Homecoming was too linear and lost the exploration paths in Silent Hill 2 and 3. Not knowing where you're supposed to go or where you just came from and seeing Pyramid Head pop up is am amazing and creepyass situation. In Resident Evil, sure the zombies/ganados/majin/etc scare you but then you just get a rifle and blow their heads off. You can't really do that in Silent Hill, most of your weapons are melee/combustible so you feel more on the verge of death than in Resident Evil.

While the re-imagining of a classic is nice, does SH1 really need to be recreated? I don't think so while I very much like what they're doing with Shattered Memories. SH1 was a great experience for its time and the model that SH2 and SH3 came off of. SH4 and SH:H are the games that NEED to go more in the direction of Shattered Memories. Put in a vague/slowly revealing plot, keep the creepy atmosphere(maybe revamp the otherworld altogether), and put the "I don't Know What I'm Supposed To Do/I Dont Know Where To Go/What Was That Noise" back into Silent Hill. Make it seem like you're going somewhere even if it's all for naught.

That will eliminate the linearity and fetch/retread quest-ish that has plagued the last two games. You're not supposed to have too many clues on where you're supposed to go! You should be given scattered documents and multiple floors full of rooms that might all led to hell. That's what this series needs.

MDSLKTR

Silent hill and it's "sequels" (after the 3rd) has to be the biggest tragedy that has ever happened to a vg franchise. Fuck you konami.

MDSLKTR said:
Silent hill and it's "sequels" (after the 3rd) has to be the biggest tragedy that has ever happened to a vg franchise. Fuck you konami.

No. The Room, Origins, and Homecoming may not be perfect Silent Hill games, but they are still very good horror titles. I can name plenty of franchises that have committed far worse atrocities. Sonic, for example.

I know people don't like the newer Silent Hill games as much as the older ones, but come on, they're pretty good survival horror games at least.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Futurevoid said:
The fact Climax has decided to do its own thing is heartening to me. They are not tied down to just trying to be "Team Silent lite" with this game. They can go in their own direction and explore their own interpretation of Silent Hill and that's why I am so very positive here. I just have a sense that I won't be playing Silent Hill Copy&Paste this time around. If anything, that's progress.

To me, it seems like they have a number of ideas for the horror genre they want to try out, so it probably would've been better for them to create something completely new instead of having to call it "Silent Hill". But then, I realize it's probably hard to convince publishers it's a risk worth taking.

Futurevoid said:
That's fair and I don't disagree with your assessment on the most appealing aspect of the series. I think the problem that Silent Hill has a series is that its been completely unable to evolve past the standard tropes we've come to expect of it. We expect the fog ridden town, the rust addled environments etc. There's nothing wrong with continuing those ideas if the execution is well handled. The real problem with games like Origins and Homecoming is that they feel like Silent Hill Copy&Paste experiences. They aren't generally bad but they feel "off". As if someone is trying to replicate Silent Hill but it fells hollow. I attribute that to studios like Climax and Double Helix doing their best Team Silent impersonations. That just doesn't work.

I agree - I'd just love to see those ideas done with something entirely new. And yes, getting the soul of things right without the look is better than getting the look right without the soul - it's just that, to me, the atmosphere is a major part of the soul of the games. I hope it's scary - if it's genuinely frightening, the rest doesn't matter to me and I'll like it.

Kiriku said:
so it probably would've been better for them to create something completely new instead of having to call it "Silent Hill"
There's always the business side and I think Silent Hill makes a project like this a bit more safe. They could do a new IP or they could apply those idea to an existing franchise that, and lets face it, is floundering. I wouldn't have been opposed to an all new Silent Hill game with these ideas either, but I understand the WANT to revisit the first game an attempt a bit of a reboot to work from.

gamergirly said:
SH4 and SH:H are the games that NEED to go more in the direction of Shattered Memories. Put in a vague/slowly revealing plot, keep the creepy atmosphere
I think Silent Hill 4 got both aspects down nicely. I think the narrative in Silent Hill 4 is far too often maligned. It's one of the best of the series and I'll take it over the third game any day of the week in so far as the quality of the story goes (though as a game, Silent Hill 3 is without question superior).

Just to clarify, I have no want to make Silent Hill more Resident Evil like. I've ALWAYS been of the mind that Silent Hill is quite literally a point and click adventure game with an (unnecessary) combat layer. One of the things I was most pleased to hear was that they had removed combat all together.:D

I will freely admit, as someone who has mostly ignore the Silent Hill series except 3, that I am mainly interested in this game because the wiimote is a phone.

I fucking love that mechanic and can't entirely explain why.

Why couldn't they just make a new Silent Hill game with an original story instead of messing with the canon of the beloved first game? Nobody is ever going to seriosuly say shattered is superior to the team silent version. This is junkware as far as im concerned.

Anticitizen One said:
Why couldn't they just make a new Silent Hill game with an original story instead of messing with the canon of the beloved first game? Nobody is ever going to seriosuly say shattered is superior to the team silent version. This is junkware as far as im concerned.

The hills.

Run for them.

Top Bottom