• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - new screens and artworks (Nov. 2009, sorry 56k)

ShockingAlberto said:
I will freely admit, as someone who has mostly ignore the Silent Hill series except 3, that I am mainly interested in this game because the wiimote is a phone.

I fucking love that mechanic and can't entirely explain why.

You really don't need to.

The use of headsets (outside of the obvious) this gen has been pretty disappointing given the prevalence of them on the PS3/360.

Hiltz

As someone who hasn't played any of the titles in the Silent Hill franchise, I'm actually looking forward to Shattered Memories. It's my second must-have game behind New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I think it was a bold move by the developer to take such big risks but at least they're trying to offer some refreshing new ideas and innovation and attempt to "fix" what has been wrong with the past Silent Hill titles by getting it back on track to its survival horror roots. I do remain skeptical as I've learned my lesson after the disappointment between concept vs. execution with Epic Mickey (at least from what has been shown of it to so far) so I don't plan on making the same mistake twice this year by putting too much faith in a game's concept alone. However, I will keep my fingers crossed for good luck.

Chittagong

Gold Member
For some reason I'm quite tempted to get this. I didn't enjoy SH4 and didn't even bother with Homecoming, but this somehow feels more genuine.

Wondering if I should get it for Wii. Have they ruled out doing cheap 360/PS3 ports?

ShockingAlberto said:
I will freely admit, as someone who has mostly ignore the Silent Hill series except 3, that I am mainly interested in this game because the wiimote is a phone.

Just wondering, but did you ever play No More Heroes? The mechanic is pretty neat there, though after the 8th time Sylvia said "Welcome to the garden of madness" it got a bit annoying.

I'm really interested in seeing how the "no combat" aspect of the game plays out. I think the less power you give the player, the scarier the situations become. So I'm hoping it gives me some truly heart stopping segments.

thebaroness said:
Just wondering, but did you ever play No More Heroes? The mechanic is pretty neat there, though after the 8th time Sylvia said "Welcome to the garden of madness" it got a bit annoying.
Yeah, Sylvia's speeches were one of the best parts for me.

I especially loved the one before the next-to-last assassin.

Ridley327

Chittagong said:
For some reason I'm quite tempted to get this. I didn't enjoy SH4 and didn't even bother with Homecoming, but this somehow feels more genuine.

Wondering if I should get it for Wii. Have they ruled out doing cheap 360/PS3 ports?

Well, Climax UK does have one unannounced Konami project that they're working on (they're doing the Rocket Knight remake, no?), but I don't know how feasible a port would be; the PS2/PSP versions aren't very well suited for porting for graphical reasons while the Wii version has its own unique interface that seems reliant on the remote. Couple that with Homecoming's failure on the HD consoles and I can't really see a SH game coming to them for at least a little bit.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
No speculation about the pics I marked as "possibly heavy spoilers" in the OP? I admit I'm very intrigued by them.

Anticitizen One said:
Why couldn't they just make a new Silent Hill game with an original story instead of messing with the canon of the beloved first game? Nobody is ever going to seriosuly say shattered is superior to the team silent version. This is junkware as far as im concerned.
So I guess you played it, huh?

Oh, and by the way I LOVED the story in Silent Hill 4. The game had its fair share of issues, but narratively it was top notch.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Jocchan said:
Oh, and by the way I LOVED the story in Silent Hill 4. The game had its fair share of issues, but narratively it was top notch.

Yeah, I liked the story and premise (being stuck in an apartment) a lot. I think the game gets too much hate, but maybe it's me being too forgiving as well (since I appreciated the concept more than the execution).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kiriku said:
Yeah, I liked the story and premise (being stuck in an apartment) a lot. I think the game gets too much hate, but maybe it's me being too forgiving as well (since I appreciated the concept more than the execution).
I played through SH4 during a cold, grey week of March. Every time I saved the game and turned off my PS2, I looked at the window next to my television and saw the same grey, foggy scenery as the one outside Henry's windows. I kid you not, it looked exactly the same.
That game was fucking haunting.

Kiriku said:

And here I thought I was the only one that liked that game :D

Jocchan said:
I played through SH4 during a cold, grey week of March. Every time I saved the game and turned off my PS2, I looked at the window next to my television and saw the same grey, foggy scenery as the one outside Henry's windows. I kid you not, it looked exactly the same.

The game came out around the beginning of my first semester of college, I was in my dorm room by myself the weekend after it was released, the TV next to a huge view of campus, and there was an overcast the entire time and it was just me, the game, noises out in the hallway, and a big view of an overcast weekend through the window. It was amazing.

I liked the game a lot. The story was great, the characters were good enough and the soundtrack was amazing as per usual. I had problems with all the backtracking and the ghosts were annoying but that's about the end of my complaints. That game was scary as fuck.

Gravijah

Jocchan said:

Silent Hill 4 was my first SH, and I absolutely adored it. One of the random parts where the
head I think it was, floats upwards as you look out the window
sent the purest fear I have ever felt through me. I have never felt a feeling like that since.

The apartment room's execution was flawless. This is what I would like to see more of in horror games. By far the creepiest shit ever.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I agree, it's a very cool feature, but it can go wrong. The speaker sometimes seems as if it isn't receiving all the data and you miss bits and pieces. No More Heroes, Fragile, and Dead Space Extraction all use the speaker for the same things and it really didn't work very well at all due to this. It's just kind of flaky.

It's still one of the coolest gimmicks this gen, if you ask me. There's definitely something cool about using it in that way.

I think the game gets too much hate, but maybe it's me being too forgiving as well (since I appreciated the concept more than the execution).
Yeah, it's not that bad, but I do feel it failed to live up to expectations and it left many fans disappointed. The lengthy E3 trailer that first cropped up for the game was AMAZING and bizarre. One of the most memorable trailers I've seen for any game, but it set expectations much too high. It made the game look much better than it actually was...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haha, more anecdotal evidence that SH4 was able to get under your skin and scare you for real! :lol

brandonh83 said:
I liked the game a lot. The story was great, the characters were good enough and the soundtrack was amazing as per usual. I had problems with all the backtracking and the ghosts were annoying but that's about the end of my complaints. That game was scary as fuck.
Same to me.

dark10x said:
The lengthy E3 trailer that first cropped up for the game was AMAZING and bizarre.
One of my favourite trailers ever, together with the first one for MGS2.

Ridley327

I don't think anyone hates SH4 because of the concept (it's solid gold, especially once the twist kicks in). They hate it because it's a lousy game to play and was a very weak game from a technical and aesthetic point of view. The whole "it wasn't a SH game originally!" excuse can go only so far.

Gravijah

Another thing that scared the everliving fuck out of me was
I'm really bad with names, but when you're in the hospital and you find that room with a giant version of the female characters head. I couldn't look because I was so afraid that it was going to do something so I ran around tapping a randomly so I didn't miss any items.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jocchan said:

The story was top notch, and I felt far more sympathy for Walter than for any of the other characters in the game. Too bad the gameplay wasn't up to scratch (somewhat broken combat system, annoying ghosts and that FUCK AWFUL annoying inventory system from the RE games, Christ, I hate that shit). It's not as good as the three first SH games, but it's still a decent, if flawed, game.

Ridley327 said:
They hate it because it's a lousy game to play and was a very weak game from a technical and aesthetic point of view.
I'd agree on the gameplay front. Some really bad missteps including the limited real time inventory (UGH), backtracking and general lack of atmosphere in the levels proper. Some levels were better than others but going for fear in heavily lit environments is very difficult to do and I think they fell short. It's amazing how off and on the game is though. The succeeded at creating that sense of dread and atmosphere in the apartment but not so much anywhere else.

In the end though, it's a wortwhile experience to me because the story is so good and so well conceived. For a game that didn't start out as a Silent Hill title, I thought the narrative fit wonderfully into the series. It had a great feel about it (even if you disregard the connections to Silent Hill 2). Oh and I *LOVE* the soundtrack.

Technically I thought it was strong. A step down from Silent Hill 3 but really that game is just an amazing looking aberration on the PS2 platform.:lol I'm surprised more folks don't mention it as one of the best looking PS2 games out there (and boy it's freaking DROP DEAD amazing on the PC).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Futurevoid said:
I'm surprised more folks don't mention it as one of the best looking PS2 games out there (and boy it's freaking DROP DEAD amazing on the PC).
I do. It was my first game for the PS2, and I've always been saying it was the best looking game on that console. Nothing ever came close.
Ask Douglas Cartland if you think otherwise :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
PR, the US release date for the Wii version is confirmed for December 8th:

Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. today revealed that the latest iteration of the critically acclaimed video game franchise - Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for Wii™ - will be available on December 8th, with the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system versions following shortly. Additionally, the company is releasing important details about the characters in the highly-anticipated survival horror game including profiles and images of the cast. A re-imagining of the first game in the famed franchise, Silent Hill's debut on Wii will deliver a brand new user interface, all-new storylines, and a myriad of terrifying new gameplay features. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories will also be released on the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system with more details, including the street date, being announced in the near future.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories begins just like the original as Harry Mason is searching for his daughter through the snowy streets of the haunted Silent Hill where he will encounter a cast of unique characters. However, this time, players are equipped with only a flashlight and cell phone to get story information, solve puzzles and navigate the darkness while escaping the demons that lurk among them. In addition, a psych-profiling feature has been added to analyze players and adjust itself to their actions, making this the most customizable and terrifying survival horror title to date.

Please find below the all-new character details:

Harry Mason - While driving through the spooky streets of Silent Hill, Harry's car skids on a patch of ice and veers off the road into a ditch. Upon waking from the crash, he realizes his daughter Cheryl is missing and sets out into the dark, freezing night to find her.

Cheryl Mason - Harry's daughter who has mysteriously disappeared, causing him to brave the streets of Silent Hill. She's a cheerful girl who loves her father very much.

Cybil Bennett - After years on the police force, Cybil has seen a lot of crazy things, but she's not quite sure what to make of Harry Mason. She decides early on to keep an eye on him, and their paths cross repeatedly.

Dr. K - A friendly, relatable therapist who shows up periodically to evaluate the player. His therapy sessions consist of interactive psychological test which players will actually take part in.

Michelle - Michelle meets Harry at her High School reunion, however he doesn't remember it. Tired of waiting to meet up with her boyfriend, she decides to aid Harry in finding his daughter.

Dahlia - A tough, street-wise young girl, Dahlia seems to know quite a bit about Harry. The fact that he can't remember anything about her confuses Dahlia as much as it does Harry.

Lisa - Lisa is a nurse at Alchemilla Hospital. Although she's young, lines of experience are already evident on her face. Despite her cynicism, Harry finds himself protective of Lisa and offers to lend her a hand.
Source is Go-Nintendo.

Hiltz

I like the concept of using the Wii remote as a phone but in games like No More Heroes, I tend to turn it off. It just got repetitive to listen to Sylvia chat about nonsense and having to listen to her annoying voice.

It's been a while since there's been new hands-on impressions of Shattered Memories. Wonder if they'll do another one for the final build of the game before December is upon us. I'd like to specifically see the different "transformations" of the enemies in the game since all we have seen so far are their pinkish skin humanoid forms.

faridmon

man, this looks good. too bad i can't play since i am the worst person when it comes to horror games. I barely finished Resident Evil 4 :(.

KurowaSan

heh, they did the same thing last year with Silent Hill Homecoming, delaying the game in Europe until 2009, and that did wonders, right Konami?

As a fan of the series, I sure hope it ends up being a great game (unfortunately, I'm personally not feeling it) because if not, just like what happened with SH Homecoming, word of it being a so so game will make those in doubts around here in Europe think twice before buying it.

Cosmozone

Oh, good that I checked the older forum pages as well. That Lisa artwork looks great! Nice artwork overall I must say.

For most of the many small issues with this game, here's a little not so
serious Q&A session for fun:

Q: If so much has been changed anyway, why not create an original story (SH6) ?
A: Hardcore fanboys would complain that it's not on HD consoles.

Q: Why not do a proper remake?
A: If it's on Wii: see above. If it's in HD: Hardcore fanboys would complain that
it's yet another SH game featuring the cult.

Q: Oh no, they changed too much! What gives?
A: Dunno, basic plot is roughly the same, Harry and Cheryl are roughly the same,
Cybil apparently hasn't changed too much as well as Lisa.
FLASHLIGHT AND RADIO (sort of) ARE STILL IN. Isn't that enough.

Q: Why should I play it on Wii?
A: Two words: Flashlight. Radio.

Q: Why do people think the graphics/art/gameplay of the game is bad?
A: Possible reasons: Not on Xbox, western developer, no blood and rust,
not by "Team Silent", a fuzzy entity that in the strictest sense doesn't
exist anymore since the original SH1.

Q: No combat?
A: No risk, no fun!

Q: ?
A: When you're trying something new, you'll risk failure but eventually you'll
successfully create a new experience. On the other hand when you strictly
stick to a successful formula, you'll end up in creative bankruptcy for sure.

Edit: Great that there's finally a fixed release date!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
faridmon said:
man, this looks good. too bad i can't play since i am the worst person when it comes to horror games. I barely finished Resident Evil 4 :(.
Resident Evil 4 is barely a horror game by the way, I'd define it a horror-themed action game :O

KurowaSan said:
heh, they did the same thing last year with Silent Hill Homecoming, delaying the game in Europe until 2009, and that did wonders, right Konami?

As a fan of the series, I sure hope it ends up being a great game (unfortunately, I'm personally not feeling it) because if not, just like what happened with SH Homecoming, word of it being a so so game will make those in doubts around here in Europe think twice before buying it.
The February 2010 release date for Europe is practically official.

Jocchan said:
Resident Evil 4 is barely a horror game by the way, I'd define it a horror-themed action game :O

I think RE4 is a great game, but where it deviated too much from the franchise, I was very disappointed with it in that respect. Change is fine, but too much change can turn something into... something else, and if I look forward to a new Resident Evil game or a new Silent Hill game, I expect them to be just that. And since RE4 only had a couple of connections and similarities to the older games, I felt that the wait since CODE: Veronica for the next installment wasn't worth it. However if it were a different title, I wouldn't have had any problems with it and I would be singing higher praise for it.

That's the only thing I'm worried about with Shattered Memories. It's called Silent Hill, so I want a Silent Hill game, not something so drastically different that it should be a whole different thing altogether. But if it comes out and I feel that I'm playing a Silent Hill title and it brings with it the intelligence and depth and creepiness/atmosphere factors that it's known for, that's fine, I'll be jolly. If not, I may still enjoy it, but like RE4 I will be left wondering why they bothered to call it a Silent Hill game in the first place.

brandonh83 said:
I think RE4 is a great game, but where it deviated too much from the franchise, I was very disappointed with it in that respect. Change is fine, but too much change can turn something into... something else, and if I look forward to a new Resident Evil game or a new Silent Hill game, I expect them to be just that. And since RE4 only had a couple of connections and similarities to the older games, I felt that the wait since CODE: Veronica for the next installment wasn't worth it. However if it were a different title, I wouldn't have had any problems with it and I would be singing higher praise for it.

That's the only thing I'm worried about with Shattered Memories. It's called Silent Hill, so I want a Silent Hill game, not something so drastically different that it should be a whole different thing altogether. But if it comes out and I feel that I'm playing a Silent Hill title and it brings with it the intelligence and depth and creepiness/atmosphere factors that it's known for, that's fine, I'll be jolly. If not, I may still enjoy it, but like RE4 I will be left wondering why they bothered to call it a Silent Hill game in the first place.

I've followed your posts from a little while ago back in the other silent hill thread. I can tell this isn't some fanboy rant, but it really seems like you are trying too hard here. Franchises need to keep themselves relevant, and fresh. We will need some changes, and it's fine to be critical, but it really seems like you are trying too hard to be a pessimist. It isn't helping anyone to understand what you are trying to say.

Ridley327

I see fucked up shit happening to an average guy with meager means to defend himself, some cult-y underpinings and monsters that can be best described as "rancid meat with legs"; if that's not Silent Hill...

JosM88 said:
I've followed your posts from a little while ago back in the other silent hill thread. I can tell this isn't some fanboy rant, but it really seems like you are trying to hard here. Franchises need to keep themselves relevant, and fresh. We will need some changes, and it's fine to be critical, but it really seems like you are trying too hard to be a pessimist. It isn't helping anyone to understand what you are trying to say.

Then I'm sure they can ignore my posts just fine. If you don't like my posts, you aren't obligated to reply to them.

And me? Pessimistic? Shit, most people here know me as someone who usually likes EVERYTHING, so no, I'm about as far from being a pessimist as one can get. I just don't know why it's so hard to bring fresh ideas to series that are getting stale without turning it into something else entirely. In the case of Resident Evil, we got a fantastic gameplay revamp, but at the same time they felt the need to take the series from being about a band of characters trying to stop Umbrella, to Leon in South America trying to find the President's daughter who was kidnapped by a freak religious idiot who is buds with a midget pirate castellan.

There's change. And then there's stupid. Would it have been so hard to introduce new gameplay elements without shitting up the story? Not that RE is a narrative masterpiece, but it's enjoyable and I was digging the ever-lasting attempts to stop Umbrella, and after waiting since 2000 for a sequel, I get... that. I don't see what's so wrong with this opinion. I know I'm talking about Resident Evil in a Silent Hill thread, but it's the best example I could use that relates to what is potentially about to happen to Silent Hill.

Either keep trademarks of the series that makes the series good in the first place, or call it something else. That's all I'm saying here. In the case of Silent Hill, I'll need the atmosphere, depth, characterization, symbolism, and everything that comes with a quality Silent Hill title. If it doesn't have these things, then it's a failure in my eyes.

Teknoman

Anticitizen One said:
Why couldn't they just make a new Silent Hill game with an original story instead of messing with the canon of the beloved first game? Nobody is ever going to seriosuly say shattered is superior to the team silent version. This is junkware as far as im concerned.

That remains to be seen.

Oyashiro

I've been on a media blackout for this game for a long time... and I didn't know that the rust world had been replaced with an ice world D:

Oyashiro said:
I've been on a media blackout for this game for a long time... and I didn't know that the rust world had been replaced with an ice world D:

I really hope they do awesome things with ice. There's so much potential there.

Nekofrog

Banned
To be honest, they went a bit away from what made the first SH alternate world so frightening. Even with the limited capabilities of the PS1, it felt rustier. It felt bloodier. Wire fencing everywhere. Blackness.

It almost seemed that with each following iteration, it moved to a more sanitized, "industrial" look. Homecoming pushed to that direction even moreso.

So the ice change may be just what the series needs.

Erebus

brandonh83 said:

But isn't it obvious that Silent Hill needs a complete reboot in order to become relevant again, especially in this day and age that Konami is stupidly outsourcing it to western developers? Let's admit it, the series has only gone downhill after SH3 and while I know many people here including me and you who enjoyed Homecoming, truth is that it was a far cry from what I'd have ideally expected from the next-gen entry of one of my favourite game franchises.

I'm not implying that Shattered Memories is gonna save the series, all I'm trying to say is that SH needs desperately a reboot, otherwise it's pretty much as good as dead for me.

CamHostage

EatChildren said:
All bitching about character looks is pretty fucking stupid consider it's been made painfully obvious characters will have multiple looks and personalities based on the profiling system.

We already know of three Cheryl models, so judging one Dahlia makes no sense.

The host images don't say it, but I'm on a Konami mailing list still, and several of the original file names are named "CHARACTERYoungPose". I won't say which ones in case that's a minor spoiler.

DarkUSS said:
But isn't it obvious that Silent Hill needs a complete reboot in order to become relevant again

I have no qualms with rebooting it. I have qualms with changing it to the point where they should just rename it to something else. As I've argued, it's completely possible to make a Silent Hill game feel fresh while sticking to the things that make it tick. If these things are tossed out the window just because it doesn't make it feel fresh enough, then there's no justification in calling it Silent Hill.

Change the controls. Introduce new ideas. Bring in new characters and stories. All that's fine and dandy. But for the love of god, keep the atmosphere, the visual and symbolic nuances, keep the overall Silent Hill vibe including the sounds, the extreme attention to detail, and more importantly, make it as scary. From what I'm seeing of Shattered Memories, I'm not convinced that it's going to be terrifying at all.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
brandonh83 said:
Then I'm sure they can ignore my posts just fine. If you don't like my posts, you aren't obligated to reply to them.

And me? Pessimistic? Shit, most people here know me as someone who usually likes EVERYTHING, so no, I'm about as far from being a pessimist as one can get. I just don't know why it's so hard to bring fresh ideas to series that are getting stale without turning it into something else entirely. In the case of Resident Evil, we got a fantastic gameplay revamp, but at the same time they felt the need to take the series from being about a band of characters trying to stop Umbrella, to Leon in South America trying to find the President's daughter who was kidnapped by a freak religious idiot who is buds with a midget pirate castellan.

There's change. And then there's stupid. Would it have been so hard to introduce new gameplay elements without shitting up the story? Not that RE is a narrative masterpiece, but it's enjoyable and I was digging the ever-lasting attempts to stop Umbrella, and after waiting since 2000 for a sequel, I get... that. I don't see what's so wrong with this opinion. I know I'm talking about Resident Evil in a Silent Hill thread, but it's the best example I could use that relates to what is potentially about to happen to Silent Hill.

Either keep trademarks of the series that makes the series good in the first place, or call it something else. That's all I'm saying here. In the case of Silent Hill, I'll need the atmosphere, depth, characterization, symbolism, and everything that comes with a quality Silent Hill title. If it doesn't have these things, then it's a failure in my eyes.
Please, don't get me started over the idiocy of the story in RE4 :lol
The game was set in Spain, by the way, not in Mexico.

brandonh83 said:
I have no qualms with rebooting it. I have qualms with changing it to the point where they should just rename it to something else. As I've argued, it's completely possible to make a Silent Hill game feel fresh while sticking to the things that make it tick. If these things are tossed out the window just because it doesn't make it feel fresh enough, then there's no justification in calling it Silent Hill.

But aren't those things: an abandoned town based on the tortured psyches of people who enter it, mysterious vaguely humanoid monsters, and a mysterious parallel version of that town that exists in a world of its own?

I'm not seeing how this isn't Silent Hill.

EmCeeGramr said:
But aren't those things: an abandoned town based on the tortured psyches of people who enter it, mysterious vaguely humanoid monsters, and a mysterious parallel version of that town that exists in a world of its own?

Those are merely some of the basics but not exactly what makes Silent Hill work.

brandonh83 said:

I can't say that I'm not happy with a refined control system, great graphics, and another soundtrack by Yamaoka. I'm loving the direction they are taking with no combat, and the exploration seems claustraphobic so I'm pretty happy there too. Everything that could be stale has been updated, and it so far seems like a fresh start for a franchise that can't even break 250K as a multiplat anymore, and I'm willing to take the risk if it means SH can become relevant again.

Oh, and I gotta say that I'm happy that SH:SM is actually based on the main SH mythos unlike the others, because it was my expectations of the SH world that made my first experience with SH1 so enjoyable.

I suppose this is a difference of opinion that can't be reconciled until we both get our hands on the game.

Edit:
Sorry for my initial post. When I said that I was following them I meant that in the sense that I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the series from it's begginings to it's current state. Didn't mean to get you all riled up there.

Top Bottom