• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singularity |OT| - Anyone? No?

Xater

netguy503 said:
Better than Wolverine? No.

Sorry should have specified that it is their best FPS effort in years. Wolverine and the X-Men legends games were also good. The last FPS I completely enjoyed was Jedi Outcast. SoF 2 was a bit hit or miss for me.

Naeblish said:
Do you mean the first boss,
the big mutant that throws barrels at you
?

No... way after that... just after you get lifted across on the crane... which is just after you get out of the sewer section.

Rickard

Does anybody know how to get past the slamming door on the way to
the cooker
?

Deadlock doesn't work and I keep running out of air.

RedStep

RedStep said:
It'll teleport around the walls, then drop. Use Deadzone immediately when it drops to the floor and go nuts with an AR / Shotgun. The cryo tanks may help as well, but they take too long for me.

Quoting myself for the new page re: NinjaFusion's dilemma.

Jerk

Banned
Rickard said:
Does anybody know how to get past the slamming door on the way to
the cooker
?

Deadlock doesn't work and I keep running out of air.

That got me for a while as well.

-Pop a deadlock onto the wall by the door
-Age the deadlock into a mine
-Flip the switch
-Revert the deadlock
-Profit

Singularity is Bioshock with time zombies, and E99 instead of Adam.

It doesn't help that the game starts with you crashing on an island, and the first building you crawl into has a huge bust in the center.

The level progression reminds me a lot of HL2.

Pimpbaa

Wow, this game is rather good. Not very original, but at least it's copying one of the more interesting first person shooters out there (Bioshock of course).

Just beat single player, fantastic game. One thing that disappointed me though,
I was watching a developer walkthrough for this game before it came out on Gametrailers or something, and one of the things they showed was the ability to collapse the walls of buildings on top of enemies. Unless I missed it you can't actually do this in the final game. Kind of sucks as that was one of the things that helped sell me on the game.

Also something everyone should try if you haven't already:
In the room where you go down the tube to get the TMD look around the room and find a camera on one of the shelves. Take your picture.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
rainking187 said:
Just beat single player, fantastic game. One thing that disappointed me though,
I was watching a developer walkthrough for this game before it came out on Gametrailers or something, and one of the things they showed was the ability to collapse the walls of buildings on top of enemies. Unless I missed it you can't actually do this in the final game. Kind of sucks as that was one of the things that helped sell me on the game.

In the room where you go down the tube to get the TMD look around the room and find a camera on one of the shelves. Take your picture.

Elaborate on last part please? You can take pics in this game? I recall that camera, but I couldn't interact with it (PS3 version).

TTP said:
Elaborate on last part please? You can take pics in this game? I recall that camera, but I couldn't interact with it (PS3 version).

You can only take one picture, but it's very nice shot of you being blinded by the camera flash. With a creature standing right behind you. Scared the shit out of me.

rainking187 said:

Yeah, already did that. :D

Im just now a little past the first boss, and not that I think its started off slow, but now that Im getting the hang of the TMD and powering up/getting new abilities, the game is REALLY taking off for me. Im definitely enjoying this and do not regret my decision to buy this at all.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
In the beginning some graphic 'glitches' really stood out for me:

- Body next to the crashed helicopter. Turned around for a sec, looked back at wreck, bam, body gone. Kinda funny.

- When your sidekick is
executed by the Russian general
his textures never properly loaded, like, what happens in Mass Effect all the time. But in ME they pop in after a while, here, the dude never looked complete. Outer layer of textures stuck in the 50's I guess :).

I'm in the same boat as most here: it's never really great, nor original, but fun in a campy way. Nice balance between horror atmosphere, shooting up soldiers and light puzzling. Took me a while to figure out to open that half-opened garage door, for example.

ram

Rei_Toei said:
In the beginning some graphic 'glitches' really stood out for me:

- Body next to the crashed helicopter. Turned around for a sec, looked back at wreck, bam, body gone. Kinda funny.

i thought the body crumbled to ashes because it was burned.

szhred

I have been playing it for about 1hour. It is quite boring gameplay. You go up and down on stupid boxes, and everywhere you go to it looks the same. The weapons fells weak, and the enemy... well boring.

Maybe its gets better. But for now it is mediocre. 6/10.

szhred said:
I have been playing it for about 1hour. It is quite boring gameplay. You go up and down on stupid boxes, and everywhere you go to it looks the same. The weapons fells weak, and the enemy... well boring.

Maybe its gets better. But for now it is mediocre. 6/10.

remember how everyone in the thread was mentioning it had a slow start?

Xater said:
I watche dthe Ginat Bomb Quicklook earlier and this seems to be Raven's best effort in years, but still nothing that blows me away. Maybe I'll rent it or get it for bomba price which it will probably hit fast.

ya its good but not better than wolverine

saunderez

Just finished the game 3 times to get the 3 alternate endings (after reloading) and I have to say wow.....

One of the alternate endings blew me away
(the game restarting in Russian when Baristov took over)
and the other endings were great too. Definitely Raven's best work in a long time and they've redeemed themselves in my eyes.

Jerk

Banned
You know, they really erred when it came to balancing the weapons/abilities and handling the upgrades; I am guessing that they did not put much thought on some of these.

Deadlock especially.

It is waaay too cheap and the area it covers is much too wide (after being upgraded) and from the moment you get it until the end of the game, it dominates combat.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TTP said:
Is there an official Raven/Activision forum where I can bitch about the shitty matchmaking? It takes ages to find a match (on PS3).
How is the PS3 port, by the way?

Once you see it:
21l9110.jpg

2pyrkmc.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Oyashiro

I've seen previews for this game before and I always thought it looked kinda cool. I think Im gonna pick it up, especially if it feels like BioShock!

kamspy

saunderez said:
Just finished the game 3 times to get the 3 alternate endings (after reloading) and I have to say wow.....

One of the alternate endings blew me away
(the game restarting in Russian when Baristov took over)
and the other endings were great too. Definitely Raven's best work in a long time and they've redeemed themselves in my eyes.

When did Raven ever need redemption?

Game is good on PC. Texture streaming problems are greatly exaggerated. I've never seen it effect an entire room. The only times it's appeared is on a few gun lockers and on the bad guy's bearskin cape during the first cutscene.

Oyashiro said:
I think Im gonna pick it up, especially if it feels like BioShock!

The only real difference is Singularity has very solid gameplay mechanics. A mod should really rename this thread "Call of Bioshock".

Jerk

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
fucking train beast thing keeps fucking kicking my ass

any tips?

The assault rifle is your best bet.

Also do not be afraid of using your med kits, chances are, you will use all of them.

ThirdEngine said:
PS3 version runs great. Nothing to worry about.

I had an issue where a texture popped in for Nolan North's shirt about halfway through a cutscene with him, but otherwise it looks fine.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Corky said:
Almost same as me then, I hate when people write like I'm about to do but still xD

In my eyes at the point I'm at Singularity ~ Bio 1 >> Bio 2 >>>>>>>>>> every SP military fps game I've played all these years.
Really? Even F.E.A.R?

K' Dash

Bloodworth said:
I used the autocannon. Make sure you counter its attacks by shooting down its throat when its mouth opens.

I blasted his ass with the sniper, time dilatation(?) + powerful shots, etc = profit.

nolookjones said:
does anyone know how to force antialiasing on pc? im using ati 5850 card...

Bioshock.exe is giving me flickering textures, but try masseffect.exe or masseffect2.exe and see if you have any luck. Unfortunately, if you bought it from Steam then you will need to download a working crack or else Steam will give you an error message when you try to launch the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, I had a lot of Best Buy credit so I picked it up on 360 and am enjoying it a lot thus far. I love these types of games and had run out so it's a nice summer treat! :D

Went for 360 due to uncertainty of the PS3 version. Bioshock 2 on PS3 was a complete disaster, for instance. Also, I've had a LOT of bad luck with PC ports lately and Activision pretty much doesn't care about the platform (nor is there any real support from Raven, it seems). 360 version seemed like the best bet and it runs perfectly thus far.

One thing that sticks out to me, though, is the same problem all of these types of game environments suffer from and that is its inability to appear truly abandoned. Games like Singularity and Bioshock do a great job with atmosphere, but they always have too many areas that are fully lit up. You have power running everywhere, random pieces of equipment that still function, and fully lit rooms all the time. It simply doesn't FEEL dark and isolated as I wish it would.

Other than that, it's very interesting thus far.

SapientWolf said:
Really? Even F.E.A.R?
FEAR? Really? I remember being quite excited for the game but ultimately wound up disliking it quite a bit.

FLEABttn

Banned
dark10x said:
Bioshock 2 on PS3 was a complete disaster, for instance.

Oh come now, Daikatana is a complete disaster. Bioshock 2 was totally playable and looked fine. It just wasn't as pretty as the other two versions.

WARNING 4mb file. Sorry about that. However, could someone with the PC version check and see if our textures match up, or if I'm running into an LOD error. Thanks. :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
CabbageRed said:
WARNING 4mb file. Sorry about that. However, could someone with the PC version check and see if our textures match up, or if I'm running into an LOD error. Thanks. :)

Texture steaming is completely broken in the PC version. You're lucky you have a texture there at all. I've walked into rooms where there were 16x16 size textures on every surface.

Raven/Activision are very mute about the issue too. I want a patch, and I want it now.

(This is after running hexedit on the executable to "fix" the texture pool size. It doesn't work).

ntropy

NinjaFusion said:
fucking train beast thing keeps fucking kicking my ass

any tips?
when it stabs the freight the first time, run toward it.

i thought the game got easier as it went along (hard diff). the tmd bubble makes things very easy.

FlyinJ said:
You're lucky you have a texture there at all.

Looks like luck had nothing to do with it. The crack I used to get around Steam mentioned something about textures but I assumed that it was addressing an issue an earlier crack. Turns out the NFO mentions:

"Increased Poolsize to 400 to fix Raven's broken texture streaming."

Ugh. :p So cracked version = FSAA + fixed textures. There is something horribly wrong with that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
CabbageRed said:
Looks like luck had nothing to do with it. The crack I used to get around Steam mentioned something about textures but I assumed that it was addressing an issue an earlier crack. Turns out the NFO mentions:

"Increased Poolsize to 400 to fix Raven's broken texture streaming."

Ugh. :p So cracked version = FSAA + fixed textures. There is something horribly wrong with that.

Like I said, I hex edited that into the exe, and it made only a slight difference. It's still broken, with some absolutely hilariously bad textures on things.

CabbageRed said:

If you're talking about the map there, it looks that terrible on the PS3 too. And I kind of doubt they're doing higher res textures on PC for this one.

eshwaaz

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I've played an hour. This is what I wish the combat in Bioshock was like. The shotgun owns all.
I'm quite disappointed with the combat. The weapons, especially the shotgun, sound incredibly weak. And despite all of the blood and gore, enemies just don't go down in satisfying ways due to questionable animations and transitions. The gunplay in Wolfenstein was much more rewarding, IMO.

Thankfully, the atmosphere and setting are appealing, the story is bonkers but interesting, and the time manipulation and time travel are very nicely handled.

Dizzle24

Picked up the PS3 version today...played about 3 hours and just got the TMD. Aside from being a legless mute, the game is to my liking. Also, just got done with Transformers the other day and just when I thought I heard enough of Nolan North and Steve Blum, BAM! Here they are again :lol

Top Bottom