• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Special Edition - Mods Thread: Thomas the Tank Engine Strikes Back

I came to prefer the original weather/skies after giving a couple mods a try.

I feel the same way. I tried a couple but like, do I really want nebulae in the sky? I'm having a viking fantasy, not a space one. The northern lights thing is cool, but it makes the whole sky glow vivid colors and I just want stars and clouds.

lazygecko

AFAIK, this isn't correct. I believe with SSE all textures need to be compressed with DXT5. In the original, color / spec maps were generally saved with DXT1.

The format itself doesn't really have anything to do with it. DXT1 textures still load just fine.

What they did with SSE was adding specular maps to outdoor landscape textures which previously didn't have any. And in Skyrim/Beth games the specular is baked into the alpha layer of the diffuse instead of being a separate file, hence why they are saved as DXT5 for the alpha layer. So if you try using landscape texture mods made for the original Skyrim, they will still load, but the new SSE rendering taking the specular into account will treat the textures as though they are fully specular everywhere, and will look overly plastic/reflective.

M.D

What's the situation with the SE and mods? Do mods needs to be specifically built (or suited to) to work with it? Are most of the 'must have' mods working with it at this point?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
What's the situation with the SE and mods? Do mods needs to be specifically built (or suited to) to work with it? Are most of the 'must have' mods working with it at this point?

As mentioned previously, the modding scene for SSE is healthy and active and many great mods have been created or ported over.

However, the catalyst for true parity with OldRim will be the release of SKSE64 which is TENTATIVELY due to release in beta form this March according to the devs.

For those who don't know, SKSE, or Skyrim Script Extender enables a cornucopia of the most popular mods of old by allowing the use of custom scripting etc. these mods include SkyUI, the complete version of Frostfall and Campfire, Convenient Horses and many, many more.

Another key feature of SKSE is the implementation of the MCM, an in-game mod management menu that is a godsend for anyone running a heavily modded build.

Hope that clarifies things! Cheers.

M.D

As mentioned previously, the modding scene for SSE is healthy and active and many great mods have been created or ported over.

However, the catalyst for true parity with OldRim will be the release of SKSE64 which is TENTATIVELY due to release in beta form this March according to the devs.

For those who don't know, SKSE, or Skyrim Script Extender enables a cornucopia of the most popular mods of old by allowing the use of custom scripting etc. these mods include SkyUI, the complete version of Frostfall and Campfire, Convenient Horses and many, many more.

Another key feature of SKSE is the implementation of the MCM, an in-game mod management menu that is a godsend for anyone running a heavily modded build.

Hope that clarifies things! Cheers.

Great explanation, thanks!
Had no idea about the upcoming additions with SKSE and MCM, sounds like it will make life a lot easier.

I've installed most of the popular mods available for this version on Nexus and it runs great so far.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Just curious if anyone's using ENBs with SSE. If so, which one? How's it working? Is it stable?

Pics?

Assuming this thread still has subs.

Newboi

Just curious if anyone's using ENBs with SSE. If so, which one? How's it working? Is it stable?

Pics?

I use Skyrim Re-Engaged ENB along with Climates of Tamriel on SSE. I can't post pics now, but hopefully I'll get to it later.

On OG Skyrim, I used RealVision ENB. I wish RealVision was available for SSE in all of its glory, but the ENB binaries for SSE are immature compared to OG Skyrim. I'm not sure if feature parity is being worked on.

Trojan

Pics?

Same as the guy above, I'm using Skyrim Re-Engaged ENB with Climates of Tamriel. It's awesome and the creator just converted it to full ENB for SE (no reshade). I'm using those in conjunction with a bunch of 2K/4K texture mods and ELFX.

Here's my post with a few pics. Game looks gorgeous with the mod:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=227537184

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Those look great. I'm still running oldrim despite having SSE. I too use RealVision with CoT and ELFX. Debating making the switch but I think I'll be holding off until SKSE64.

What water mod are you using?

Trojan

Those look great. I'm still running oldrim despite having SSE. I too use RealVision with CoT and ELFX. Debating making the switch but I think I'll be holding off until SKSE64.

What water mod are you using?

Realistic Water 2, it's compatible with all those mods I listed. If you want a good guide that shows a compatible mod path for Skyrim SE (including a lot of OldRim texture mods), I recommend the SEPTIM guide:

Skyrim SE SEPTIM - A Load Order and Installation Guide

I have almost 150 mods running in SE including updated textures for just about everything in the game. That guide has been thoroughly tested by the creator to make sure everything works together.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Using Realistic Water 2 myself in Oldrim. It's the only one I really like - especially with the water color modifier and sun scatter mods for enb. I'm happy it made the jump to SSE.

I don't know if it's available for SSE but PURE Water has a texture/mesh pack that makes the transition from water to shore/bank look fantastic and it's compatible with just about everything. I'd recommend it.

SEPTIM Guide sounds like the new version of the STEP Project. Is that accurate?

In general, does SSE really feel more stable than Oldrim?

Does Unofficial patch screw up gold drop? I've got two characters, one with no mods (I'm using for achievements) and one with just Unofficial patch on and the one with the patch has bandits dropping little to no gold compared to my unmodded character. This is on xbone btw

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I've put about 60 hours into that version with the full 5gb of mods, unofficial patch included. Unless another mod has fixed that issue for me I would so no.

Another 200 hours into the PC version and I have never experienced this either. There are no mentions of any bugs related to gold on the nexus page.

My gut tells me you're just over analyzing a couple of poor randomized drops. Keep at it.

I'm still waiting for the script extender. I started a game last month after spending the better part of a day selecting mods, but I realized after about 45 minutes of playing that I was missing so much from my original modded playthrough. I played it back in 2012 and put like 120 hours into it, but never beat it. I am really looking forward to playing through it again and actually beating it this time. I've waited this long, so what's another month. It is still painful just waiting, though.

I'm still waiting for the script extender. I started a game last month after spending the better part of a day selecting mods, but I realized after about 45 minutes of playing that I was missing so much from my original modded playthrough. I played it back in 2012 and put like 120 hours into it, but never beat it. I am really looking forward to playing through it again and actually beating it this time. I've waited this long, so what's another month. It is still painful just waiting, though.

Even after we get the script extender, we'll have to wait for mods to be updated in accordance. I have so many mods I'm waiting for an update, or ported over for the first time SKYUI, Frostfall, iHUD, A Matter of Time, moreHUD, Hunterborn, RaceMenu, Real Names, Quick Loot, Thieves Guild Requirements, etc...

It'll be quite the wait.

KiteGr

Question!

I've been thinking of getting skyrim for a long time, exclusively for the mods.
Obviously that strikes out any console version including the semi mod friendly console special editions.

How does the Special Edition on PC fares in terms of mods.
Does the old ones work?
Does it has the same limitations the console versions have?
Should I get instead the standard edition?
Do I get access to the standard edition if I buy the special edition from Steam?

Question!

Obviously that strikes out any console version including the semi mod friendly console special editions.

Does the old ones work?
Do I get access to the standard edition if I buy the special edition from Steam?
Lots of mods work. Lots more mods don't, due to the lack of SKSE64 and other things.

Check out the nexus for the mod offerings.

Soodanim

Question!

Does the old ones work?
SSE is already 6th by mod count on Nexus Mods, behind the other Bethesda games but ahead of everything else on the site. It's doing very well.

Old mods don't just "work" for the most part, but most of the main ones have already been ported or have equivalents.

No. PC is completely open.

Standard edition is up to you. If you want to play it right now and have a "finished" modded game then it's a good choice, because it's not like the original version is dated. I personally prefer it for some of the SKSE mods like Auto Harvest that takes some the monotony of looting out of the game, and, more importantly, SkyUI which makes everything better and gives you the Mod Config Menu. After playing for so long with those, I find it too hard to play without them.

KiteGr

Standard edition is up to you. If you want to play it right now and have a "finished" modded game then it's a good choice, because it's not like the original version is dated. I personally prefer it for some of the SKSE mods like Auto Harvest that takes some the monotony of looting out of the game, and, more importantly, SkyUI which makes everything better and gives you the Mod Config Menu. After playing for so long with those, I find it too hard to play without them.

I've read that those who have a complete Standard Edition get the Special edition for free.
Does the offer still work?
Does it work in reverse?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
My two cents is this - SSE is still receiving updates and lacks the script extender needed for more complex and popular mods. This is tentatively due for a beta release next month. However many amazing SSE mods work great right now.

If you plan to install a lot of graphics mods,lighting mods like RLO or ELFX and maybe an ENB preset, the upgraded visuals of SSE become nearly moot as the "new" textures will be replaced anyway. For this reason I recommend sticking with Oldrim.

To anyone new to modding though, Oldrim can be highly unstable and features a number of quirks to be aware of - chiefly a hard cap on VRAM which, if exceeded, WILL crash your game. You cannot go 4K (or even 2k) texture happy and expect things to be fine, even with an 8gb 1080. There are numerous guides to improving stability on the nexus.

That being said, the main advantage of SSE in the long run should be stability and the removal or diminishment of many of those quirks.

Tl:dr - if you want to get modding today, go Oldrim. But by the end of the summer, I expect SSE to nearly have achieved parity between editions.

KiteGr

I bought it.
I'm not sure if my PC can even run it, but I got it on my steam Library. In case it is to taxing, or the modding community to poor, I'll just download from somewhere a standard edition to play until then.
Thanks guys.

Edit:
To make my self clear, I'm not an TES fan. I'm not even a Bethesda fan. I find their engine and animations to weird compared the ones Bioware made. I tried Oblivion back in the day, but I found it boring full of egg faced old men. This is my first TeS game since back then (I know that it's not a big jump since it's literally the next installment, but if you think it in years it's a long of time), so I'm going there almost blind with little to no expectations. What convinced me to give the franchise another go was the gigantic moding phenomenon that surrounds it.

so...
Anything a complete newbe like me should keep in mind?

Quikies83

Just installed this for Xbone.
I'm not so much interested in upgraded textures.
Really interested in atmosphere mods - like lighting, weather, etc. Don't want to disable achievements.

Please give me a few recommendations.
I'll toss the unofficial patch in there as well.

Thanks!!

Unai

Really interested in atmosphere mods - like lighting, weather, etc. Don't want to disable achievements.

Thanks!!

I don't think the bolded is possible even using the simplest mod on the consoles.

HooYaH

Thanks!!

As UnaiGamer said, any mods disables achievements.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I don't think the bolded is possible even using the simplest mod on the consoles.

Try Vivid Weathers or Climates of Tamriel. Both are great with their own pros and cons. True Storms is great too.

Edit: wrong quote. This will absolutely disable all achievements. It's either no mods at all or as many as you want in that regard, with no middle ground.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Does anyone know where I could find a mod called Terrain Bump? Real Roads is a bit too much for my 960, and I know that Terrain Bump is a nice alternative...though it seems to have been completely dropped from the Nexus.

I was reminded of it after being impressed with what Real Geometry 3d StoneHuts Walkways and Lumber mill does to help make orignial bethesda stonewalls look pretty great. The main mod does other great things.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I remember having it back in the day but it looks like it's been made private on the nexus with no reason why. Maybe is unsupported or something. No way to know.

Is Real Roads part of the aMidianBorn packs? I swear the road pack had a light option that looked great.

SnowTeeth

Banned
I remember having it back in the day but it looks like it's been made private on the nexus with no reason why. Maybe is unsupported or something. No way to know.

Is Real Roads part of the aMidianBorn packs? I swear the road pack had a light option that looked great.

Interesting. I'm trying to stick to vanilla as much as possible in my current SSE build so I wasn't looking into other texture packs (no matter how good aMidianBorn is) though at a quick glance through his mods I didn't see anything that stood out as a normal-map modification to roads.

Thanks anyway. You wouldn't happen to know my best chances to obtaining a now defunct Oldrim mod would you?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Ah sorry.

I don't. Unless someone on the forum has it installed it might be gone for now.

The good news is that there are an awful lot of Oldrim road mods. I'm sure you can find one that is true to the vanilla stylings. Best of luck.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
http://skse.silverlock.org

Last update was in December. Hopefully we'll know more by the end of the month.

It's an absurd amount of work, and this team is still supporting F4SE as well.

With mid-march come and gone and no new update, hopefully this means they're so close to beta that an additional update would be silly. Otherwise, hopefully well know more before April.

I don't mind SKSE taking longer than expected. I have Zelda and MEA to play. Plus I'll have to wait for mid updates anyway.

I would like to see Skyblivion and Skywind using SSE, which I believe hinges on SKSE.

I was looking for news and found this through reddit:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5206865-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse64/page-36#entry48873882

Sorry, this isn't intended to be an April Fools joke or something like that.

I don't really have any good news. A large amount of the core code (papyrus support, scaleform support, etc) is ready, but the layout of most of the game data classes still needs to be verified as unchanged from the 32-bit version.

I haven't had any time to work on this for the past few months due to work, and I assume the same is true for Stephen. Making time estimates for full-time professional engineering projects is very hard, and this is far from that.

Again, sorry for getting people's hopes up.

Disappointing, as I've pretty much put this aside until this is released, but understandable.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Hey good find on the nexus!

I totally understand the delay and will continue to wait patiently. Would be nice if the SKSE site was updated though. Having a mid-March release window listed while we're now in April undermines the incredible professionalism this team has shown otherwise.

All news is good news. Get to it when you can. We'll still be here.

Vargavinter

Hey. I was trying out a mod that just changes Candlelight & Magelight to be brighter and you can toggle it on and off but when I try to use it it reverts back to the un-modded spell. At first I thought that I needed a new save to be sure so I would try that out. Didnt work either. So what happens is:

1.I go to the vendor to buy the spell. The description tells me that its the correct modded spell, its cheaper in mana and that you can toggle it on and off.

2.I buy the spellbook and in my inventory it still tells me that its the modded version.

3.I learn the spell and in my magic-menu it tells me that it the modded version.

4.I equip the spell (in either hand) it vanish and unequipps and my character make the unarmed block animation.

5.The spell is reverted back to the non-modded version in my magic-menu with all the regular text, cost and duration.

I tried looking for answers with the mod author but no-one had the same issue it seems. I tried to install another similar mod but with the same end result, unequip, vanish, reverts back to the normal spell.
Anyone got any answers of how to manage to fix this?

lazygecko

Download tes5edit and use it to inspect the issue in your load order. You can open the tree for that mod in particular, click the entry for the candlelight spell, and then it will display the same entry for any other plugin that also changes it, so you can see if there are conflicts and which is higher in priority.

Even if you aren't a mod developer, tes5edit is a very useful tool which will make your life easier once you figure out how to use it. It's very fast and simple in most cases to make your own personalized compatibility patches with some basic clicking and dragging.

Vargavinter

Download tes5edit and use it to inspect the issue in your load order. You can open the tree for that mod in particular, click the entry for the candlelight spell, and then it will display the same entry for any other plugin that also changes it, so you can see if there are conflicts and which is higher in priority.

Even if you aren't a mod developer, tes5edit is a very useful tool which will make your life easier once you figure out how to use it. It's very fast and simple in most cases to make your own personalized compatibility patches with some basic clicking and dragging.

Thanks. I got SSEEdit and gave it a shot. But I dont know what I'm really looking for, I never delved this deep in modding and troubleshooting.

This is how it looks: https://imgur.com/a/BXG5w
I can post more images if it will help.

Wvrs

What are the must-get PS4 mods? I hadn't planned on getting this game due to the mod disparity between the PS4 and XB1 versions, but found a cheap copy and decided this would be a great game to switch into a foreign language I'm learning. I understand that modding capabilities are limited, but are there a few recommended that will give me a slightly fresh experience?

Top Bottom