• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES CLASSIC IS UP AT BEST BUY [gone]

Months of getting Wario64/CAG Twitter alerts, waking me at all times of the night, finally paid off.

Really glad this thing is coming with two controllers, since I had to settle for an extra Hyperkin controller for my NES Classic.

I don't think this one is on Nintendo.

If the pre-orders are set to go up everywhere today, I think Best Buy jumped the gun.

Best Buy always updates their pages (Deal of the Day, weekly as, etc.) at about 12 midnight CST. Probably why the Amazon orders went up an hour or two later.

I don't think this one is on Nintendo.

It's still on Nintendo for making a product in high demand for only 3 months and will not come anywhere close with having enough supply. We shouldn't have to have the mindset of "if I don't get a preorder I probably won't get one at all". It is most definitely on Nintendo.

shandy706

It's still on Nintendo for making a product in high demand for only 3 months and will not come anywhere close with having enough supply. We shouldn't have to have the mindset of "if I don't get a preorder I probably won't get one at all". It is most definitely on Nintendo.

Absolutely.

They could manufacturer 10 million of these through the next year and they'd sell every single one of them.

Absolutely.

They could manufacturer 10 million of these through the next year and they'd sell every single one of them.

I'm not even sure what the purpose of these things are at this point. I mean, at $80 the cost to get this to store shelves must not leave them with much profit on each sold unit. You'd think they'd want to sell as many as possible to maximize the money made off them.

I mean, is this being done in lieu of traditional marketing? Because all it's doing is pissing people off. This should be an item which drives conversation about the system itself and the games contained within, not pissing people off and having every discussion be about Nintendo's inept supply management.

zeemumu

20 min up time is pretty long all things considered.

Very. I was hauling ass to grab my card and get through the checkout process. Took me about 5 minutes after it went in stock to complete the order and I definitely thought I was gonna be too ate.

Sulik2

Absolutely.

If they have supply chain problems and literally can't manufacture that many they should have jacked the price up. Only being able to manufacture a few million then selling them at a mass market instead of a collectors price is creating the insane anger and frustration we are seeing now. If they were $150 - $200 MSRP they would still sell out, but not have any of this insanity going on.

gafneo

Banned
I signed up for Best Buy reminders & didn't get a notification in my email to say item was in stock. I kind of had a hunch to check & there it was for the taking. Wow, never trust that crap. It's pure lies to trick people into waiting like sheep at the last minute, then opt in for sell outs.

I'm not even sure what the purpose of these things are at this point. I mean, at $80 the cost to get this to store shelves must not leave them with much profit on each sold unit. You'd think they'd want to sell as many as possible to maximize the money made off them.

I mean, is this being done in lieu of traditional marketing? Because all it's doing is pissing people off. This should be an item which drives conversation about the system itself and the games contained within, not pissing people off and having every discussion be about Nintendo's inept supply management.

This and the NES Classic exist solely to increase brand awareness for the holiday season. If this wasn't the reasoning, Nintendo would make both this and the NES Classic long term products that could be purchased throughout the year. Nintendo could manufacture 5 million new NES Classics today and they would sell each and every one of them, but actually selling these things isn't the primary goal.

This and the NES Classic exist solely to increase brand awareness for the holiday season. If this wasn't the reasoning, Nintendo would make both this and the NES Classic long term products that could be purchased throughout the year. Nintendo could manufacture 5 million new NES Classics today and they would sell each and every one of them, but actually selling these things isn't the primary goal.

I'm not even sure why they would need that now. The Switch is generating its own buzz and it's going to be the exclusive home of one of the surefire hits of the year in Mario Odyssey. I could see that idea applying last year because the Wii U was a non-factor at retail, but I don't see why that strategy would be needed this year. I know one thing, it increases annoyance and ill-will but I suppose as long as fans cling to these things like moths to a flame, they don't care and they'll continue to do it. I'm not a fan of the carrot-dangling approach, but who cares what I think.

kunonabi

Got my email so im good. Im really just buying it for the controller so ill probably give it to my nephew when im done with star fox 2.

I'm not even sure why they would need that now. The Switch is generating its own buzz and it's going to be the exclusive home of one of the surefire hits of the year in Mario Odyssey. I could see that idea applying last year because the Wii U was a non-factor at retail, but I don't see why that strategy would be needed this year. I know one thing, it increases annoyance and ill-will but I suppose as long as fans cling to these things like moths to a flame, they don't care and they'll continue to do it. I'm not a fan of the carrot-dangling approach, but who cares what I think.

I think there's two reasons it's happening this year, despite the success of Switch.

1. This was greenlit before Nintendo knew the Switch was going to be as successful as it has been.
2. The SNES Classic is aimed at lapsed players who currently have little interest in Switch.

I'm not defending Nintendo, by the way. I think these products have been handled horribly. They should be long term items that can be purchased for years to come.

I'm not even sure why they would need that now. The Switch is generating its own buzz and it's going to be the exclusive home of one of the surefire hits of the year in Mario Odyssey.

3D Mario is far from universally appealing to longtime/lapsed Nintendo fans.

Nintendo wants to put themselves on the radar for people who loved their old games. I'm hoping they back that idea up with goodwill toward those customers with Switch's actual lineup of games in Year 2. So far the third-party stuff has been better catered to the NES/SNES-era Nintendo fan than the first-party stuff has, Zelda and Mario Kart aside.

I think there's two reasons it's happening this year, despite the success of Switch.

1. This was greenlit before Nintendo knew the Switch was going to be as successful as it has been.
2. The SNES Classic is aimed at lapsed players who currently have little interest in Switch.

I'm not defending Nintendo, by the way. I think these products have been handled horribly. They should be long term items that can be purchased for years to come.

It's cool, I didn't take from your post that you were defending them. That said, on your first point, let's assume this is the case. Now that we can clearly see that the Switch is a hit(so far, but I don't see it slowing down. The concept simply works, in my opinion, better than the Wii U or even the 3ds)....why not course correct? It's fully within their control to keep the product supply flowing and adjust to market demand as necessary. When they announced it a few months ago they didn't commit to continued production beyond 2017, so we wind up with a product that is limited only in terms of production window, but production numbers and alot of thickly layered FUD and preorder confusion ensues. My thing is, if Nintendo stands confidently behind the quality of their product(s), I don't see the need for this kind of 'brand awareness' holiday marketing. Of course I'm not sitting in the corporate offices hashing these things out, but just where I see things from the outside.

3D Mario is far from universally appealing to longtime/lapsed Nintendo fans.

Nintendo wants to put themselves on the radar for people who loved their old games. I'm hoping they back that idea up with goodwill toward those customers with Switch's actual lineup of games in Year 2. So far the third-party stuff has been better catered to the NES/SNES-era Nintendo fan than the first-party stuff has, Zelda and Mario Kart aside.

I wasn't referring to lapsed longtime fans with that comment about Mario. I was referring to current or prospective Switch owners, it's going to be a big game on the radar this holiday season. It's being called the spiritual successor to Mario 64 and we know how beloved that game is/was. What Switch has going on really has nothing to do with the Mini consoles. These things should be produced over the long-term to scratch the obvious retro gaming itch for casuals who don't want a switch, don't own the original hardware, don't delve into emulation and want a nostalgic physical representation of what they grew up with. Frankly, people like the GAF crowd aren't even the target audience, since I'd imagine most of us have devices both officially( Nintendo branded consoles) and unofficially( Rasperry Pis, PCs, tablets, smartphones) that can play these games. If anything, sales from the diehard crowd are bonus sales.

Top Bottom